• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo Discusses His Top Five Characters In Smash For Wii U

Smasher-LTIMT

Smash Cadet
NNID
battlefront157
3DS FC
2165-7609-0420
I agree with his picks but I think a few characters are close.

Never count :4falcon: out.

He just happens to be arguably the best Smash 4 player right now. I'd like to think that his opinion matters.
The best? Awesome ^-^ I'd like to see how I'd do against him! probably lose, but its worth a shot! He won the tournament last year, right? As Zero Suit Samus

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Still don't think Zero's a great video maker (but hey, can't be good at everything), but I suppose it's interesting to hear his opinions nonetheless.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
He didn't make this thread you fool, he's not going to answer your question. You have a better chance on Reddit lol.

This is what I'm talking about. Join date 2014, 60 posts on smashboards, wants advice from zero.
Le sigh......
Woops. Didn't really think to look at who posted this. My bad. Didn't really expect someone to jump down my throat about it...

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Woops. Didn't really think to look at who posted this. My bad. Didn't really expect someone to jump down my throat about it...

Someone has to be blunt with you if you're not taking the time to read things properly dude.

back on the zero topic :

Zero rubs people the wrong way, his english is terrible, his playstyle is extremely gay and lame and lacking in hype, his scarf, as well as his overly intimiate relationship with his mother are both weird. He Makes smashers look like they're all weirdo neckbeard basement dwellers.

I dunno man, someone prove me wrong. I have yet to see ONE competitive smasher who has been playing for years (not just when smash 4 came out) disagree with me on how lame Zero is.

Thank god we have people like Mang0 / Hbox that are amazing players but also chill people that you could see yourself hanging out with IRL. They are great faces and personalities to represent smash brothers as a serious competitive game that's also extremely fun and high level.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Someone has to be blunt with you if you're not taking the time to read things properly dude.

back on the zero topic :

Zero rubs people the wrong way, his english is terrible, his playstyle is extremely gay and lame and lacking in hype, his scarf, as well as his overly intimiate relationship with his mother are both weird. He Makes smashers look like they're all weirdo neckbeard basement dwellers.

I dunno man, someone prove me wrong. I have yet to see ONE competitive smasher who has been playing for years (not just when smash 4 came out) disagree with me on how lame Zero is.

Thank god we have people like Mang0 / Hbox that are amazing players but also chill people that you could see yourself hanging out with IRL. They are great faces and personalities to represent smash brothers as a serious competitive game that's also extremely fun and high level.
Your complete bias is showing, let me level it out.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1l7aqv/hi_im_joseph_mang0_marquez_i_won_evo2013s_super/cbwhopy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iH0O1vEG4nU

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
These people of which you speak, are youtube / armchair smashers. Many of them haven't touched a smash game prior to smash 4 and are not even serious player's. They're casuals in pseudo-competitive sheeps clothing. They use FGC terms but have no idea what they mean. I saw one of them on Reddit call airdodging "Wave dodging" *facepalm*

I don't think many real competitive players respect Zero as much as smash 4 noobs.

And to be quite blunt, if any of the top smashers from melee put 5-10 minutes into smash 4 and picked up shiek or something, they would easily beat Zero using hard reads.

He's a big fish in a small pond, one of the few smash 4 players with real experience from smash 64 / melee / brawl.

I agree that he's very good, probably better than me, but I don't think his opinion matters much to anyone aside from casuals that want to be good at smash without any effort... imo.
Big fish in a small pond? He's the best Smash 4 player in the world, a Melee player who still gets solid results, the best Brawl player in the world, and (arguably) the best Project M player in the world.
He's not the best at Melee, but I have no doubt he'd trash Mang0 or Leffen in Smash 4 (M2K, one of the Melee gods, does play Sm4sh and ZeRo beats him consistently.)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Big fish in a small pond? He's the best Smash 4 player in the world, a Melee player who still gets solid results, the best Brawl player in the world, and (arguably) the best Project M player in the world.
He's not the best at Melee, but I have no doubt he'd trash Mang0 or Leffen in Smash 4 (M2K, one of the Melee gods, does play Sm4sh and ZeRo beats him consistently.)
M2k doesn't actually care about smash 4. He knows there's a very low tech skill ceiling and that it's boring. Was glad to see him at Press Start doing what he does best. Zero beating him means nothing really.

Zero is NOT the best PM player in the world. Not even close. The ranking system at smashboards means nothing. Which is why I'm glad you wrote "arguably"

Nobody cares about Brawl, nor should they.

And he doesn't have "Solid" results in melee. Name one national where he was in top 8. He also has THE MOST boring fox in melee's history.

As for reddit hating on Mango, only makes me like the kid even more. I hate reddit r/smash it's a hive mind of scrubs downvoting anything truthful about smash 4 and upvoting for glory compilations beating up 6 year old children in smash 4 online and acting like this is a true measure of skill.

All grammar nazi scrubs. Yeah mango isn't putting in the effort to write properly, but why don't you money match him before you talk s**t?

Also I saw nothing wrong with HBOX's video... Also made me like him more. He speaks the truth.

If anything, red, you're the one with a bias. It's like you really go out of your way to find reasons to not like melee's gods....

Let's take something from one of these f***ing reddit scrubs and quote it why not

Yeah, well your grammar sucks. Stop playing video games and go back to school. I don't want my tax money going to support a 23 year old neck beard, who sits in moms's basement playing a kids game. Grow the **** up. You're not cool, no one knows who you are and most people could give a **** less. With your attitude your shaping up to be a really winner kid...
Hmmm.... Mango is a proud father, has a steady relationship, a nice apt, and makes more money in twitch subs in a day than you would on an entire weeks pay...

I think these ppl are jealous ;)

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
I don't think only discussing top 5 characters is enough, as there are more characters are around that level, like Pikachu, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, and Sonic. I feel like it's better to discuss the top characters, rathering than limiting it to top 5.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
M2k doesn't actually care about smash 4. He knows there's a very low tech skill ceiling and that it's boring. Was glad to see him at Press Start doing what he does best. Zero beating him means nothing really.

Zero is NOT the best PM player in the world. Not even close. The ranking system at smashboards means nothing. Which is why I'm glad you wrote "arguably"

And he doesn't have "Solid" results in melee. Name one national where he was in top 8. He also has THE MOST boring fox in melee's history.

As for reddit hating on Mango, only makes me like the kid even more. I hate reddit r/smash it's a hive mind of scrubs downvoting anything truthful about smash 4 and upvoting for glory compilations beating up 6 year old children in smash 4 online and acting like this is a true measure of skill.

All grammar nazi scrubs. Yeah mango isn't putting in the effort to write properly, but why don't you money match him before you talk s**t?

Also I saw nothing wrong with HBOX's video... Also made me like him more. He speaks the truth.

If anything, red, you're the one with a bias. It's like you really go out of your way to find reasons to not like melee's gods....

Let's take something from one of these f***ing reddit scrubs and quote it why not

Hmmm.... Mango is a proud father, has a steady relationship, a nice apt, and makes more money in twitch subs in a day than you would on an entire weeks pay...

I think these ppl are jealous ;)
You pretty much dodged the core of my point, and yet still show you have little to no interest of having a discussion in any meaningful way.

M2K has said nothing about what he thinks about playing smash 4 outside if he likes it. I've seen him on stream like vs Will and he enjoys himself a lot.

Reddit hated on Mango because he acted like an asshat to Hungrybox. Not because the hive mind, though it dies exist and I don't like it either but seriously?

MIOMmang0[S] -1117 points 1 year ago

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i can say that i have grown up a lot in the last 2 years .. and i waited to shake ur hand at ncr but you were crying or whatever and i was gonna wait till you were finished

And ive been more civil to you outside of smash for sure but when it comes to the game itself i have 0 respect for ur " skill " . I think ur a disgrace to the game and i think ur god awful. You learned 1 gimmick and abused it .. You never adapt to anything .. Ur just bad at the game and if you wanna shut me up. Beat me consistently dude and it will change .. Until then get off of reddit and go practice

Yeah this is just hive mind, not because he was a **** to Hungrybox.

Not even going to get into mango bring banned from the forums for being a **** to the Melee forums.

No one is jelly about him being good, you can be good and still act like a tool.

I was on the video with Hungrybox FYI, he acted liked pretentious ****, he came into the Nova Scotia room multiple times drunks telling us to stop playing PM/brawl and that they were both garbage. He wouldn't get out and leave us alone when we didn't want him around.

Zero does the same work that mango does of not more in community support, he owns an apartment and has a mom he cares for.

And yes no talk of creepy mango skipping part of a tournament for his mom, totally unbiased here.

I wouldn't be as annoyed as I am if it weren't for the fact your mindset is so warped to me that you have this black and white mentality with Smash 4 and Melee it baffles me.

Dunno why I always get dragged into this and would rather talk about the top 5 in smash 4 since that is far more productive than this, but I can't for posts like this.

Mango and Hungrybox are saints but Zero is sone creepy scarf wearing freak?

I don't hate any of these players personally, but the bias is real here.

I don't see how anyone can take a post like yours and say it is unbiased.

Last edited:

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
c'mon people ZeRo just posted his personal top 5 and you make a huge drama of this?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
You do know who I am right? It shouldn't surprise you that I'm biased lol.

I respect your opinion Red. You are clearly very intelligent and have hit some really good points.

I guess I just associate with Mango and Hbox. I am a cocky, pretentious prick myself.

Zero is WEIRD dude. I agree he's a really nice guy, but he rubs me the wrong way.

I hate his fanboys more than him personally, acting like he's the GOAT of smash 4 when the game is really new.. I really respect his positive attitude and he's definitely a more talented smasher than I am, even in melee I would most likely lose to him, he has good reads.

I also think Hbox is pretentious, I don't like how he thinks he's better than people that do drugs or don't finish school... because I fall into both those categories... hard. But I make way more money than him regardless so he can act superior all he wants, I'm still making big bucks with no college education.

That being said, at least he's not a creepy weird freak. He's a good face and personality to represent melee is all I'm saying.

As for Mango, he's immature but he's cool. I find it inspirational that he is a father but still is the best smash player of all time, I thought having kids meant the end of my smash career but mango inspired me to think diferently...

Last edited:

Othingar Fireblood

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1435-5716-3327
Hey Dylan_Tnga I would love to talk but text can not tell emotions and it will be hard to understand my tone through text but me and you would have a lot to speak on one day we might

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Rosalina really should have an actual downside to losing Luma. Rosalina without Luma is still better than 60% of the characters in this game.... that shouldn't be the case lol. Hell, Luma shouldn't be stronger than Bowser either, but is for some reason.

nbgamer123

Smash Rookie
NNID
nbgamer
no Sonic tho? :(
Loving ZeRo's higher quality. Even though I disagree with him on some of his views I gotta respect the guy.
That's really cool that ZeRo believes Ness is 4th!
It's really cool he realizes both how underrated Luigi is and how overrated Sonic is.

I think Pikachu could be a serious top 5 candidate as well.

It's crazy how Pikachu, Fox, and Sheik are all either really good or at least viable in each Smash game.
Idk if it's just me, but sonic's too fast for me. Pikachu
no Sonic tho? :(
Sonic's too fast, well in my opinion. Shulk is superior!

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
And, people still neglect Mario.
One day man, one day.
I respect Mario and Doc. I used to main them in fact and I play Doc in PM. But I agree with you I don't see much news about Mario or about all the other "lower" tier characters. It sucks because my main atm is Robin and I don't see much about him. 8^|

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I hate listening to people talk so, so much. Especially people who sound like they have a perpetual cold. Why can't they give a text breakdown as well in these kinds of updates?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I hate listening to people talk so, so much. Especially people who sound like they have a perpetual cold. Why can't they give a text breakdown as well in these kinds of updates?
....Because he doesn't want too?

He IS still finding his style you know. He might end up doing more text based stuff than voicing over videos.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
The best? Awesome ^-^ I'd like to see how I'd do against him! probably lose, but its worth a shot! He won the tournament last year, right? As Zero Suit Samus
If he's not the best, he's certainly one of the best in the game. Check out the rankings here on the boards. Everyone in the Top 100 (and probably more) are highly skilled and deserve the utmost respect.

I'm not sure which tournament you're talking about, but plenty of characters have strong chances of going deep into major tournaments.

For example, look at Nairo. This man is currently ranked 3rd and he's rocking Pit, Dark Pit, Robin, and ZSS consistently. Hell, he even played with Zelda, Little Mac, and Palutena in tournaments before.

Look at HBC Bunzy. Currently ranked 2nd and has been using Rosalina & Luma and Olimar for his entire tournament history.

Look at AllyKnight. He's ranked 6th and has been using Mario and Shulk.

I could go on...

Personally I think every character is viable in this game and Sm4sh is more dependent on player skill and knowledge (like reads, which is why mix-ups are so important) than their character(s) strengths and weaknesses.

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
If he's not the best, he's certainly one of the best in the game. Check out the rankings here on the boards. Everyone in the Top 100 (and probably more) are highly skilled and deserve the utmost respect.

I'm not sure which tournament you're talking about, but plenty of characters have strong chances of going deep into major tournaments.

For example, look at Nairo. This man is currently ranked 3rd and he's rocking Pit, Dark Pit, Robin, and ZSS consistently. Hell, he even played with Zelda, Little Mac, and Palutena in tournaments before.

Look at HBC Bunzy. Currently ranked 2nd and has been using Rosalina & Luma and Olimar for his entire tournament history.

I could go on...

Personally I think every character is viable in this game and Sm4sh is more dependent on player skill and knowledge (like reads, which is why mix-ups are so important) than their character(s) strengths and weaknesses.
I have to agree I'm considered the best at my school and I play Robin and it's not like the people at my school suck I honestly think most could enter a tourney and get around top 10 to 15. But the tourneys I have entered I always play Robin and most pick Diddy and Sonic and all of the "top tier" and I still end up wining most matches. So to people who say characters determine if you going to win boo to you.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. Same with DK. What could be trash to one person is gold to another.

I don't recall asking for your input. I'll stop when I want to stop. If you haven't noticed, I believe that Luigi is top 5. Know both sides of the argument before you butt in.

As good as Lucario is, I'm not sure if he's top 10. Not as long as Rage exist.
Why would rage not help Lucario? Unless I'm wrong, don't Rage and Aura stack to where he can benefit from both at the same time.

If Lucario has both Rage and Aura going, he should have some of the best KO potental in the game.

He has all the other tools that he needs to be successful. Lucario is a top ten character. I think the issue is, not many play as him.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I agree with all he say.

EVERYTHINGS.

He forgot Peach, Capt. Falcon and Pikachu.

Eventually... Olimar, he has the BEST Grab in the game. Again. Not best throw except with blue pikmin. Is down trhow is a easy combo oriented move and can ohaaa.

Is smash attack is sometime very unpredictable.

But is Pikmin A.I. Kinda suck.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Current meta:
:rosalina::4sheik::4sonic::4luigi::4mario::4pikachu::4falcon::4diddy::4ness::4fox::4yoshi::4zss:
Still thinking Ness is kind of overrated. Nah, I suck. I still remember those days when people said :4bowser::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4robinf: were potential top tiers. 2014 was a crazy year.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Why would rage not help Lucario? Unless I'm wrong, don't Rage and Aura stack to where he can benefit from both at the same time.

If Lucario has both Rage and Aura going, he should have some of the best KO potental in the game.

He has all the other tools that he needs to be successful. Lucario is a top ten character. I think the issue is, not many play as him.
Rage helps Lucario, but it also hurts him more severely than others. At times it'll become increasing more difficult to keep a lead as Lucario because of Rage that allows him to be KOd much sooner than he should be. That is a particularly painful flaw for Lucario because if he gets KOd first, there's no promise that he'll be able to KO his opponent at all, since his Aura is dropped down. It's not his fault, though. Rage is a bull**** mechanic in general, and I hope they get rid of it. I once saw a Sonic KO a Fox at like, 70% with an up smash, all because of Rage.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor

I said he's good at Melee, not top 10 level. He got 17th in Melee singles at EVO 2014.
You can dislike his Fox all you want, but in the end, results don't lie.
Your initial comment about M2K is confusing too. I've never seen anything where M2K says he dislikes or doesn't care about Sm4sh. If you can show me where he said that, that would be great.
As for ZeRo in PM...results don't lie.
Zenith 2014: 1st
Big House 5: 1st
CEO 2014: 1st

Can he be strange at times? Yes. Can he be boring at times? Yes, I was rooting for HBox through all of the last match off the invitational and thought HBox deserved to win.
But is he an amazing Smasher? heck yes. Results don't lie; when you're unarguably one of the top 3 of 3/5 Smash games and probably top 50 of another that you don't even play that often, that's enough proof that he's amazing at the series.
I have the utmost respect for the amount of tech skill top melee players have, buI have respect for ZeRo's ability to read his opponents better than any other player barring maybe mango, and his extensive knowledge of the series as a whole.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Rosalina really should have an actual downside to losing Luma. Rosalina without Luma is still better than 60% of the characters in this game.... that shouldn't be the case lol. Hell, Luma shouldn't be stronger than Bowser either, but is for some reason.
No, he isn't. Luma can't KO someone at 30% with a dropkick. Luma can't break a shield with the touch of a button.
I also think Hbox is pretentious, I don't like how he thinks he's better than people that do drugs or don't finish school...
That's an unfair reason to call someone pretentious. A lot of people would most likely think they're better than an addict or a drop out. That's human nature, really.

popdrops

Smash Rookie

back on the zero topic :

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
I STRONGLY agree with this list! Luigi and ness in particular, no one really thinks that they are a great as I think they are! Turns out I was right!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
:laugh:
Lmao you're image posting stuff that I said 8 years ago? I'm pretty flattered honnestly.

Figured you would have went with something else aside from my salty I lost to link in ssb64 thread lol. (I have a dark, dark past on this website) :laugh:

Last edited:

Smasher-LTIMT

Smash Cadet
NNID
battlefront157
3DS FC
2165-7609-0420

I could go on...

I think it was that Smash Invitational! But I agree, all characters are viable, and they need to mix it up (instead of people using Arcfire and Arcthunder as Robin, and Fire Balls while Jumping as Mario! And apparently, if you don't move, they keep doing it :/ each Mario player who does that strategy keeps jumping and using Fire Balls, luckily I have a shield XD and I am timing it for a perfect shield, waiting for them to stop doing it, but they almost never stop, so I just approach carefully mostly cause they use the D-Throw to UTilt "combo" which I don't see as a combo, it seems a bit lazy with using one move over and over and only having to hold up and keep pressing A/2/whatever control setup you have! Almost all of For Glory has campers and Pressure tactic players now, not willing to get up close, very much and its annoying

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
Luigi and Rosalina get me the most I just need to learn there matchups a lot more that's all.

Top Bottom