• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's moveset impressions

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Holy mother of F/Bair getting so much cool down this time around. You literally gotta wait a full second or so before being able to use another aerial again.

This is gonna be weird.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Well, at least in free-for-alls Zelda's Din's Fire cause a lot of trouble

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
3 Smash games in, they still can't figure out how to get Zelda's Fsmash/Usmash to hit properly. Never mind inconsistency from air heights, people fall out of Zelda's Fsmash when they're both on floor level.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Just copy Project M Zelda Sakurai. You know you want to.

At the very least copy their Fsmash Usmash fixes... Seriously.

Last edited:

P.J.☆

Smash Rookie
Forget trying to copy PM Zelda, Sakurai should've just copied Super Smash Flash 2 Zelda.

Anyways Din's Fire obviously isn't the best. It never will be. But it's absolutely better than nothing and if a player can find a use for it and use it effectively then by golly use it! :3

I also like how Zelda can cover the ledge with Phantom for safer recovery. Oooo! Maybe jump over ledge, use Phantom, then regrab the ledge? Either way Phantom is really viable in my eyes. Not only is it a disjoint but it's also a wall. Pretty cool :3

P.J.☆

Smash Rookie
Seems like an accurate and fair assessment of Zelda's yet again subpar moveset.
No, you're wrong Zelda's moveset isgood this time around. Yes there are some moves that are less favourable. Like Din's Fire and Up/Side Smash. But that's really it. Everything else Zelda has is usable and pretty good. Zelda is faster, has a better midair jump, a godlike recovery, she can combo and follow up for the first time in a main series smash game. It's safe to say she's recieved enough buffs to not be called "bad" or "subpar". Yes, she's definitely not S tier but Zelda is a force now.

It's posts like that, that keep me away from the smashboards(Zelda's board in particular). People always trying to down Zelda and convince her mains that she's still a bad character. Then her mains get defensive and start a flame war. :/

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
No, Zelda mains actually get overly defensive over perfectly acceptable criticisms. It was like this when I used to post back during Brawl too. If your defense of Zelda's moveset is that most of it is "usable" and "pretty good" I think it's time to do a little bit of self reflecting, because those aren't glowing reviews. Besides, I've never said that her moves were unusable lol. Of course they're perfectly usable, but unfortunately I think she's gotten the short end of the stick yet again.

FTR, I main Zelda too and I still find her fun as hell to play with. But that doesn't mean I can't find qualms with her. I find it kind of sad that FW is somehow her most reliable kill move, and she's got quite a bit of ending lag on a lot of really crucial moves, most noticeably Bair, Din's, Phantom (good lord at her B-moves x_x) and U/SSmash. I just think it's time people quit being delusional and just move on with their main in a realistic way.

micstar615

Smash Ace
No, Zelda mains actually get overly defensive over perfectly acceptable criticisms. It was like this when I used to post back during Brawl too. If your defense of Zelda's moveset is that most of it is "usable" and "pretty good" I think it's time to do a little bit of self reflecting, because those aren't glowing reviews. Besides, I've never said that her moves were unusable lol. Of course they're perfectly usable, but unfortunately I think she's gotten the short end of the stick yet again.

FTR, I main Zelda too and I still find her fun as hell to play with. But that doesn't mean I can't find qualms with her. I find it kind of sad that FW is somehow her most reliable kill move, and she's got quite a bit of ending lag on a lot of really crucial moves, most noticeably Bair, Din's, Phantom (good lord at her B-moves x_x) and U/SSmash. I just think it's time people quit being delusional and just move on with their main in a realistic way.
I agree, we can't deny that Zelda has shortcomings but that doesn't mean she's unusable and not fun to play as. She is usable (more than Brawl that's for sure) but she has a ton of flaws at the same time. It's up to us to make the most of it even with them. Also, did I mention that she's fun to play as and it's VERY rewarding when you win with her?

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
^how many accounts do you have? And does each one have a different Pokemon avi? xD

I agree with everything, her Lightening Kicks have a massive cool down after you use them :( she's nerfed overall but her grab is faster and her recovery is much better. Overall, she should be better than her Brawl incarnation thanks to the game's physics, she benefits from the faster speed, new ledge mechanics and large blast zones.

Last edited:

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nayru's is at least better than Brawl's and Melee's since the multihits pull inward from both sides, and has the same range in the air as on the ground. It definitely still has it's invincibility frames, but they still don't have any overlap with the attack portion so it can't counter everything even with "good timing." It's a pretty good answer to certain forms of aggression this time around.

Nayru's Rejection, on the other hand, is the worst thing I've ever seen with an extra dose of bad.

Nayru's Passion is not much better. For all you lose with the move properties, it could at least kill reliably... but the knockback is subpar. At least Rosalina's offensive variation of her anti projectile is usable since you're not a dead weight in the air using hers.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Our collective impression of the Phantom has gone from "OMFG" to "I want our old down b back" to "I guess this has some niche uses"

Top Bottom