• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's alt costumes

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
If they don't include an Ocarina of Time/ Melee colour for Zelda, I'll have a sad :(
I think I will too. :sadeyes:

It's bound to return though (I hope), since the OoT colour scheme was the first colour scheme for Zelda in a Smash game.
PLEASE SAKURAI. Don't let meh down.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
After the 3 Hyrule Warriors Alternate Costumes have been shown (Very proud of that) I'm going to be very disappointed if they don't at least release alt costumes for DLC, They exist... Just insert them in the game please.

Hyrule Warriors alt too... So we can have 4. Hahaha....

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone have this strange belief that the SSB development team is related at all to Hyrule Warriors? Zelda is one of many characters in the game, you're lucky if you get one alt costume, and that one alt costume is definitely not going to be sourced from a spinoff.

Hyrule Warriors = Not happening in SSB (like ever)

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Why does everyone have this strange belief that the SSB development team is related at all to Hyrule Warriors? Zelda is one of many characters in the game, you're lucky if you get one alt costume, and that one alt costume is definitely not going to be sourced from a spinoff.

Hyrule Warriors = Not happening in SSB (like ever)
I don't think anyone believes their related in any way.

It'd just be flippin awesome for the Hyrule warrior costumes to be alts since they're some of the best and most unique costumes the zelda cast has had.

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone believes their related in any way.

It'd just be flippin awesome for the Hyrule warrior costumes to be alts since they're some of the best and most unique costumes the zelda cast has had.
Then why is everyone comparing the two. 'HW has 3 alt costumes, sakurai make Zelda have 4 alt costumes' as if Sakurai actually cares and as if he'd give Zelda 4 alt costumes. Can we be a bit more logistic.

Plus Hyrule Warriors Zelda isn't going to happen, so just drop it? It's irrelevant.

tumblr_static_blank_title_white_transparent.png

This is much more likely.

Last edited:

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
1. I was joking
2. Why would "drop" hoping for something?

I compare the 2 because if another game can do it, so can Smash 4.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
1. I was joking
2. Why would "drop" hoping for something?

I compare the 2 because if another game can do it, so can Smash 4.
  1. I was just using your mentality as an example, it wasn't a personal attack.
  2. Because it is not going to happen, so it's annoying
  3. Fair enough, but Hyrule Warriors is specialized for Zelda, whilst smash covers many many different franchises.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
  1. I was just using your mentality as an example, it wasn't a personal attack.
  2. Because it is not going to happen, so it's annoying
  3. Fair enough, but Hyrule Warriors is specialized for Zelda, whilst smash covers many many different franchises.
At a risk of Irony, Why don't you just ignore the posts that annoy you?

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Sakurai apparently had something to do with Hyrule Warriors, (not working on the game himself or anything) so its possible it won't be completely avoided. Its being speculated that Lana might be a newcomer.

Though that is definately the most unlikely thing to happen above all.

Then why is everyone comparing the two. 'HW has 3 alt costumes, sakurai make Zelda have 4 alt costumes' as if Sakurai actually cares and as if he'd give Zelda 4 alt costumes. Can we be a bit more logistic.

Plus Hyrule Warriors Zelda isn't going to happen, so just drop it? It's irrelevant.

View attachment 20657

This is much more likely.
Another speculation is that Zelda's new colour is actually a recolour of the OoT skin. Notice how in her OoT DLC skin in Hyrule Warriors and even Ocarina of Time, Zelda's dress isn't a light pink like in Smash. It's more of a dark pink, almost purple.
Hyrule Warriors
Ocarina of Time
upload_2014-8-7_20-9-3.jpegMelee
So maybe they are basing something that is from Hyrule Warrior's, just not Zelda's epic battle attire. Or Hyrule Warriors could be basing something of of Smash.

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
Her Ocarina of Time and Melee appearances are definitely not the same colour-wise. The design of her outfit is more or less the same, but the colour is indeed more purple in Ocarina of Time and pink with some red in Melee. That said, I can't really imagine them not including a pink and blonde Zelda in the new game since she has always had that option, but perhaps I'm just in denial.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai apparently had something to do with Hyrule Warriors, (not working on the game himself or anything) so its possible it won't be completely avoided. Its being speculated that Lana might be a newcomer.

Though that is definately the most unlikely thing to happen above all.

Another speculation is that Zelda's new colour is actually a recolour of the OoT skin. Notice how in her OoT DLC skin in Hyrule Warriors and even Ocarina of Time, Zelda's dress isn't a light pink like in Smash. It's more of a dark pink, almost purple.
Hyrule Warriors
Ocarina of Time
View attachment 20827Melee
So maybe they are basing something that is from Hyrule Warrior's, just not Zelda's epic battle attire. Or Hyrule Warriors could be basing something of of Smash.
No offence or anything but the new blonde colour scheme is clearly a DEEP purple not a light violet or pink.
In all your images above none of them appear to have this colour...at all.
Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 7.12.29 PM.png

Also notable is the fact that the red zelda alt has a RED crown, and purple/blond Zelda's is an even lighter blue.
Different colours with blond hair doesn't make it OoT at all.

The OoT colour alt was most likely ditched.

• Also Sakurai has NOTHING to do with Hyrule Warriors, and Lana as a possibility is laughable.

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
He had nothing to do with binding blade either yet roy got in melee
There's a reason he wasn't in brawl :) Lana is not happening...ever.

And to further prove how blond zelda alt is not OoT Zelda
tumblr_mg6my5lKXH1rk1osuo1_500.png

• Different crown colour
  • Different dress (white not pink)
  • Different Everything

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Well it's still Zelda, and to be honest I think the purple might look a little better on her than the pink from OoT. As for Hyrule warriors, yes I think everyone is already aware that it's not the greatest possibility, but we'd like it do be one nonetheless because it is awesome.

Just like Mulletdorf. You ain't telling me you wouldn't want that as a Ganondorf Alt.

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
Clearly to a lot of people this isn't the case.
Zeldaisthegirl, you've made a bunch of posts on this thread for seemingly no purpose but to tell people it's either stupid or pointless to speculate or hope for certain things to be in the game. Considering OP's question was "What are some alt costume ideas for Zelda?" I don't understand why you're going out of your way to stomp on people's ideas and to be sarcastic and offensive to others on this thread. You're acting like you know everything about the game. I'd rather not be confrontational, but it's incredibly irritating to see.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
  • Also Sakurai has NOTHING to do with Hyrule Warriors, and Lana as a possibility is laughable.
Pretty sure I said that it is the most unlikely thing to happen above all. Do you know every little detail about this game?
No? Then how about you actually respect other people's thoughts instead of walking all over them and finding something to prove them wrong straight away. You seem to love being the one with the logical explanations. This thread is for what alt costumes Zelda could or should have. Why don't you just accept that and stop putting people down with your over-researched information? It'd be nice for a change.

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure I said that it is the most unlikely thing to happen above all. Do you know every little detail about this game?
No? Then how about you actually respect other people's thoughts instead of walking all over them and finding something to prove them wrong straight away. You seem to love being the one with the logical explanations. This thread is for what alt costumes Zelda could or should have. Why don't you just accept that and stop putting people down with your over-researched information? It'd be nice for a change.
So you want to be wrong? the purpose of this thread is to speculate and if there is evidence to support a speculation as wrong I will continue to disprove them with blatantly obvious and easily accessible information. We get that everyone loves Hyrule Warriors but we don't need 7 pages on this thread dedicated to a costume that won't happen.

How am I putting people down? Clearly you're not interpreting my tone correctly at all.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
So you want to be wrong? the purpose of this thread is to speculate and if there is evidence to support a speculation as wrong I will continue to disprove them with blatantly obvious and easily accessible information. We get that everyone loves Hyrule Warriors but we don't need 7 pages on this thread dedicated to a costume that won't happen.

How am I putting people down? Clearly you're not interpreting my tone correctly at all.
I think the point is that there isn't any evidence to disprove it. YES, there is no evidence in favor of it either, but until the game is out and in our hands there is no costume that can or cannot be proven/disproven.

This is speculation on costumes and most people like talking about what would be good additions. You are simply here to 'disprove' opinions which is a little bit silly in the long run.

As stated, we already know the unlikeliness of the Hyrule Warriors costume. That does not prevent us speculating about it. Thank you for your understanding.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867

Do we really need reasons to say why people's opinions* on costume requests are wrong?
Exactly, the purpose of this thread is to speculate. I get that you get fed up with people wanting a Hyrule Warriors alt because its everywhere on this thread, but do you really have to focus on proving them wrong on why it won't be in? If it annoys you that much just ignore those posts. You seem definite on a Skyward Sword skin (which I'll admit is much more likely to happen), but I don't see anyone telling you as to why it won't be included, because it's your opinion. All I'm saying is to just stop saying that a Hyrule Warriors skin won't be included, because thats their opinion. Respect that and move on. Everyone seems to respect your's, so its not exactly fair.

*Take note on the word OPINION.

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Do we really need reasons to say why people's opinions* on costume requests are wrong?
Exactly, the purpose of this thread is to speculate. I get that you get fed up with people wanting a Hyrule Warriors alt because its everywhere on this thread, but do you really have to focus on proving them wrong on why it won't be in? If it annoys you that much just ignore those posts. You seem definite on a Skyward Sword skin (which I'll admit is much more likely to happen), but I don't see anyone telling you as to why it won't be included, because it's your opinion. All I'm saying is to just stop saying that a Hyrule Warriors skin won't be included, because thats their opinion. Respect that and move on. Everyone seems to respect your's, so its not exactly fair.

*Take note on the word OPINION.
Okay, you guy's stated that OoT alt was most likely the SAME as the purple/ blonde Zelda all I did was say that you were probably wrong. That's it!

*Note the probably

Yes, and you don't see me on every page shouting about how SS Zelda is so awesome looking and yada yada yada. I stated my opinion a couple times and didn't saturate 7 pages. We get it, everyone wants a HW Zelda, the point came across 6 pages ago

I think the point is that there isn't any evidence to disprove it. YES, there is no evidence in favor of it either, but until the game is out and in our hands there is no costume that can or cannot be proven/disproven.

This is speculation on costumes and most people like talking about what would be good additions. You are simply here to 'disprove' opinions which is a little bit silly in the long run.

As stated, we already know the unlikeliness of the Hyrule Warriors costume. That does not prevent us speculating about it. Thank you for your understanding.
There is evidence, clearly if it was going to be an OoT alt it would have the same colours! I take it you're not colour blind? And I never said HW Zelda couldn't happen I said it was unlikely

*note the word unlikely.

and I said Lana was an impossibility, for once in your life try to be logical and understand that Sakurai is not going to be putting a character from an unreleased game, from a spinoff, into SSB.

Logic is nice sometimes. Thank you for your understanding.

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
for once in your life try to be logical and understand that Sakurai is not going to be putting a character from an unreleased game, from a spinoff, into SSB.

Logic is nice sometimes. Thank you for your understanding.
I'm going to assume you simply don't realize how incredibly offensive and counter-productive you're being.

I regret possibly starting this confrontation, so I recommend we all sing some kumbaya, get back on topic, share some ideas for Zelda's alternate costumes or colours (however unlikely any may be), and simply ignore those who don't understand the concepts of hope and speculation.

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Do you think we might see a Classic Zelda, like one based on her appearance in the VERY early games? The first one I played was OoT, but I know she appeared in games before that. Has her appearance had any other interesting incarnations besides the pink/purple and the Hyrule warriors that one could consider for an alt?

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
Do you think we might see a Classic Zelda, like one based on her apperance in the VERY early games? The first one I played was OoT, but I know she appeared in games before that. Has her appearance had any other interesting incarnations besides the pink/purple and the Hyrule warriors that one could consider for an alt?
Hmmm the problem with the earlier games was that the concept arts and the actual in-game sprites were generally completely different, as many 2D games were. I know some games like, say, those Final Fantasy fighting games, feature characters from Final Fantasies VI and before, which shared this problem, and they usually take the character designs from the concept arts over the in-game sprites. Terra from Final Fantasy VI, for example, appears with blonde hair like in her concept art rather than green hair like in the game itself. I haven't actually played those games, but I'm guessing the same strategy applies throughout.

Really, though, just wearing a pink or red dress can pretty much be passed off as the princesses in the first two Zelda games. Link to the Past had Zelda in two outfits -- a white/ lightish blue dress and her more popular pink dress -- and you could argue that the pink dress directly influenced her Ocarina of Time design, and by extension, her Melee design. Thus, if they added her Melee colour scheme of blonde and pink, they would pretty much have her Link to the Past colours as well.

Of course, these are all just colours, and at the end of the day, it's still the Twilight Princess Zelda in various different palettes. As for full-on costumes with new models and the whole shebang, I'm going to guess her Ocarina of Time/ Melee and Skyward Sword looks are the most likely. I can't imagine they would use her appearances in the NES games since they are comparatively plain and not very iconic, although I suppose her Link to the Past outfits aren't completely out of the question. Her Wind Waker appearance is also quite nice, but has the limitation of its art style clashing entirely with the character proportions of the Twilight Princess Zelda. Like Link, any sort of Toon Zelda would need to be an entirely separate character (CHARACTER IDEA, SAKURAI?). We can dream...

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
But the screen itself is pretty dark too. I can't really rely on a photoshopped screen...

The best material we have so far is the invitational match. With this, I'd say it's a little bit darker than the HW/OoT counterpart, but it's not that saturated, as the offscreen picture/your photoshoped picture.
tumblr_static_blank_title_white_transparent 2.png

Found some pretty awesome new pics of the costume pallet swap! I'd say my photo edits were pretty close!

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
View attachment 21059
Found some pretty awesome new pics of the costume pallet swap! I'd say my photo edits were pretty close!
Was that footage from the San Diego Comic Con? Heading a bit off topic, but I'd really like to view some new Zelda gameplay, especially with her new alt.
It'd be great if anyone could help me out. :roll:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Was that footage from the San Diego Comic Con? Heading a bit off topic, but I'd really like to view some new Zelda gameplay, especially with her new alt.
It'd be great if anyone could help me out. :roll:
No idea where it was shot from, found it on the best buy thread for Zelda.

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
After watching that, something came back to me.

Apart from the crown, earrings and the other accessories, I think these two costumes look quite similar. Mainly because of the dress and hair colour though.
I couldn't find an in-game image of Zelda's white dress from Melee, but I do remember that the top half of her dress is light purple instead of white like her portrait icon.

I don't know, it just rang a bell for me.

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
After watching that, something came back to me.

Apart from the crown, earrings and the other accessories, I think these two costumes look quite similar. Mainly because of the dress and hair colour though.
I couldn't find an in-game image of Zelda's white dress from Melee, but I do remember that the top half of her dress is light purple instead of white like her portrait icon.

I don't know, it just rang a bell for me.
Actually, I believe that the blue dress in brawl and smash 4 is the same colour as the white/ grey blue one from melee. Except they ruined it by colouring the bottom blue.
tumblr_static_blank_title_white_transparent.png

Far right is a photoshop, see how similar it looks to melee's if they had not coloured the bottom blue as well. In retrospect I should've photoshopped the gloves white but meh.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So I'm just gonna take a guess and say that we're gonna get a proper OoT alt, dress and all and that's probably why they made this purple one. It would make sense due to OoT3D being one of the most recent games as well as OoT having the most popular designs in the series. I honestly think that's a safe bet. I can't see zelda getting the SS outfit if link doesn't have one which he clearly doesn't
Actually, I believe that the blue dress in brawl and smash 4 is the same colour as the white/ grey blue one from melee. Except they ruined it by colouring the bottom blue.
View attachment 21064
Far right is a photoshop, see how similar it looks to melee's if they had not coloured the bottom blue as well. In retrospect I should've photoshopped the gloves white but meh.
I like it better fully blue tbh

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
View attachment 21064
Completely agree with you. I didn't like the red or blue dress in Brawl a lot because of the bottom part. I think the black dress suited it though, since it gave it a more darker and sinister look to it. But in general I think Zelda's Melee alts were better.

So I'm just gonna take a guess and say that we're gonna get a proper OoT alt, dress and all and that's probably why they made this purple one. It would make sense due to OoT3D being one of the most recent games as well as OoT having the most popular designs in the series. I honestly think that's a safe bet. I can't see zelda getting the SS outfit if link doesn't have one which he clearly doesn't
I hope you're right. I loved the OoT Zelda look a lot. But if Link has a SS recolour then hopefully Zelda will too. Don't know how they'd pull it off though, since Zelda's SS dress isn't similar to the TP one unlike the OoT dress.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I can't see zelda getting the SS outfit if link doesn't have one which he clearly doesn't

Link's SS outfit in SSB4 released a while ago

I like it better fully blue tbh
Well I suppose it is a matter of opinion, I happen to prefer it the way it was in melee with a white base.

Completely agree with you. I didn't like the red or blue dress in Brawl a lot because of the bottom part. I think the black dress suited it though, since it gave it a more darker and sinister look to it. But in general I think Zelda's Melee alts were better.
This.

Don't know how they'd pull it off though, since Zelda's SS dress isn't similar to the TP one unlike the OoT dress.

I guess something like this?

Though I do think if we're to get an OoT Zelda alt it may look something like this?

That would make 3 blond haired alts (SS, OoT, Purple/Blond) and 4 brunettes (Default, blue, green, red) and then grey hair if grandma Dark Zelda returns.

zelda blonde 2.jpeg

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I meant a proper alt with a different model, I think zelda would definitely get one but with that it can't really be SS
Well no character so far has gotten a "proper alt" with a different model so far. At the most we can expect is the tweaking of the model.
For OoT the can add the collar and tweak the hair and crown possibly, and for SS add the crystal pendant, and sail cloth.

I posted this picture a couple pages back. I think something along these lines is what we can expect. Little mac got a new sweater added to his model so I'd say something like this( the pic above) is definitely not out of the realm of possibility. Though it's still unlikely, at least to me.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well no character so far has gotten a "proper alt" with a different model so far. At the most we can expect is the tweaking of the model.
For OoT the can add the collar and tweak the hair and crown possibly, and for SS add the crystal pendant, and sail cloth.

I posted this picture a couple pages back. I think something along these lines is what we can expect. Little mac got a new sweater added to his model so I'd say something like this( the pic above) is definitely not out of the realm of possibility. Though it's still unlikely, at least to me.
The villager and wii fit trainer have different models, not just edited versions of the existing model. If project m can do it, there's no reason sakurai can't

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
The villager and wii fit trainer have different models, not just edited versions of the existing model. If project m can do it, there's no reason sakurai can't
That's different though because if you are playing animal crossing or the wii fit you get to choose which gender you'd prefer for that character-- it's customizable. It's put in for the gender diversity of those characters. Where as Zelda is female all round.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
That's different though because if you are playing animal crossing or the wii fit you get to choose which gender you'd prefer for that character-- it's customizable. It's put in for the gender diversity of those characters. Where as Zelda is female all round.
But they show that sakurai does in fact have the ability to do it, so why shouldn't he? As I said before if a group of modders can do it then I see no reason they can't

Top Bottom