• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Honestly any person's Zelda's game will probably improve once you no longer feel the urge to dash attack. Other common things I notice is desperate Farore's and fair from the ledge a lot. I am almost inclined to believe we should never kick a grounded opponent. Fujin style Nayru's are so good at punishing impatient people... Make sure to stop once they pick on.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Honestly any person's Zelda's game will probably improve once you no longer feel the urge to dash attack. Other common things I notice is desperate Farore's and fair from the ledge a lot. I am almost inclined to believe we should never kick a grounded opponent. Fujin style Nayru's are so good at punishing impatient people... Make sure to stop once they pick on.
We should have a match sometime! I'd love to battle you.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
@ Rion Rion Sure we can if you have time now :) If you don't mind I'm going DK... want to learn to get good as him!

Last edited:

Rion

Smash Journeyman
@ Rion Rion Sure we can if you have time now :) If you don't mind I'm going DK... want to learn to get good as him!
Sent you my FC!

Kind of a random train of thought but, I actually loatheeee Zelda dittos. It just feels so bloody weird.

Also I am the king of SDs. Bow down to me.

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Good games... you definitely wrecked me! Gotta figure out some things :)

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Good games... you definitely wrecked me! Gotta figure out some things :)
I will rain Dairs of Terror upon mine enemiessss.

Your custom Up B super armor will not save you from the prada boot (only sometimes)!

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah dair on DK has been good since Brawl. Guys need to learn from Rion... patient and whatnot. Initial games going to near time, lol. I can't believe all the stuff you get away with... or that I'm allowing you to do to me :(

Rion

Smash Journeyman

My Very First Shield Break.

To be forever hanged on the Zelda forum walls 'till the ends of time.

(Sorry Aleate~)

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Wow dbag :(

Why don't you upload a gif of ME shieldbreaking YOU and you falling to your doom :)

Last edited:

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Wow dbag :(

Why don't you upload a gif of ME shieldbreaking YOU and you falling to your doom :)
DK Shield Break is old news my fuzzy friend.

Zelda Shield Break is where it's at.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Alright, alright... I am not a man without honor:

I was in a pretty terrible spot.

But let's not forget though

what happened after words

My dear Aleate.

(I'm sorry, I'll stop now, haha~)

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Wow remind me NOT to play with you anymore.
I promise it's all in good fun! Haha.

Besides, with your 3 day DK you did get me a few times. That's pretty amazing in itself already!

It just so happened that particular match had a lot of interesting things happen (I swear)!

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh look, I realized I can make my old digital camera record crappy videos. Here's a HRC run I did with Zelda for the 3280ft Challenge.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Jesus how did you manage that? It's so simple haha I was doing all sorts of comlex crap and stopped when I got to 2700 or 2900 feet.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Just a question to other Zelda players: am I the only one having trouble killing opponents below 140%? Without lighting kicks, of course.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
I've never been very good at HRC, Multi-Man has always been my choice of poison. Got 291 KOs in Rival Smash a few days ago with our wee girl http://youtu.be/BfGdMyz7PaE

@E&H sometimes yeah, it's quite frustrating :'(

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Just a question to other Zelda players: am I the only one having trouble killing opponents below 140%? Without lighting kicks, of course.
Maybe I've been playing only sucky players, but around 100-130%s I do:

-Throws off-stage following by either Phantom (barrier or attack, whichever works) or Dair spikes
-FW combos
-Dsmash (Range has been nerfed, yeah, but the second kick behind her is a great mindgame against roll-happy people)
-Ftilts, mostly pivots
-The occasional Uairs, Dash Attacks, and Fsmashes noobs let me get away with

Oh, speaking of KOs: Anyone ever used Nair off-stage to successfully gimp recoveries? I've done it a few times myself for when I realize I can't a Dair spike in time.

Last edited:

Upke

Smash Journeyman
So probably 50% of the time, when I go offstage to dair someone's recovery, I get a kick instead because the circle pad sucks...

And it sweetspots and kills.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Ahh, so I fought against a Toon Link today.

There's another match up I need to be careful for! A lot of annoying projectiles + speed, you can feel a bit like you're getting barraged and can't fight back in some situations.

It can be hard to bring out openings, but they're there. As usual, you gotta just be patient as hell.

So many things flying all over the place... it's like Ikuruga or something.

steelguttey

mei is bei
ive realized that my bowser jr is doody so now im maining zelda cause im not braindead with her lol

up-b kills soooo early and lightning kicks are as godly as ever

is her down-b useless or what i havent found a use for it yet

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Phantom has a lot of niche uses. It's not a move you can just use whenever you want but pretty much Zelda's entire moveset is this way lol.
  • You can throw it out as a defense against projectile spammers. This allows you to hide behind the phantom to avoid projectiles so you can range attack with something like Din's Fire or Farore's Wind on a good read. Unlike using Nayru's to reflect projectiles this puts something between you and your opponent so it is harder to punish you for the endlag. Phantom can also cut through projectiles and deal damage if the opponent is close enough (depending on how long it was charged).
  • Edge guarding for anyone trying to recover high/on stage or shoot it while standing at the edge of the stage to hit someone offstage. You can also jump offstage while charging a phantom to catch someone recovering low. Not the best option since it is easy to see whats coming and her aerials are extremely strong, but I have done this a few times.
  • In doubles you can shoot a phantom from behind your partner without hitting them since the phantom has a blind spot in front of Zelda. Not super useful and probably wont see much use but it is an option. Maybe something like Zelda shooting a phantom from behind Villager to pocket lol.
  • Phantom Breaker will break a shield if it is fully charged.
  • Phantom Strike loses its range and kill power compared to the other 2 versions but fully charges in 1 second and hits extremely hard (28 damage). This is a good anti approach since it still reaches pretty far in front of Zelda and slashes from the ground up to catch anyone near her. The phantom will linger for 2-3 seconds even if it misses so you can use it as a form of protection and attack from behind it.
Just a few uses I have found so far for phantom I am sure there are plenty more out there.

steelguttey

mei is bei
she goes from being the second worst to being actually good?

her custom moves are meh on everything but down-b. the meteor up-b sounds good on paper but all it does is kick people on the floor and the directed teleport is something that yo need really really bad

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
So Zelda is in Conquest. She's up against Palutena and Peach. I think it should've been Rosalina instead of Peach (so that Sakurai can learn that not all Smash 4 magical girls are equal) but Peach will do.

Peach is already far ahead of the other two, last I checked. In Japan and the world she takes up more than half of the points.

I'm torn between wanting Zelda to win (because she's our girl!) and wanting her to be destroyed so they can patch her.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Conquest IMO just feels like a popularity contest. It mostly comes down to how many people actually
use the character, not how good that character really is. Sure, you have to actually win to contribute,
but in the end it comes down to how many people around the world use said character.

Know who won the last Conquest? Brawlers. Know who was a part of the brawlers?

Little Mac.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Of course it's a popularity contest. But people tend to gravitate to the character they feel will net them the most wins. Zelda is a popular character outside of Smash. She is unpopular in Smash because she has a noted reputation for being bad.

Little Mac is legit great, even if his players tend to be awful.
Brawlers had Falcon and Lucario, two great characters as well. Of course gunners had Zamus so make of that what you will.

Also I have yet to see a single Peach in For Glory. It's super weird.

Last edited:

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Of course it's a popularity contest. But people tend to gravitate to the character they feel will net them the most wins. Zelda is a popular character outside of Smash. She is unpopular in Smash because she has a noted reputation for being bad.

Little Mac is legit great, even if his players tend to be awful.
Brawlers had Falcon and Lucario, two great characters as well. Of course gunners had Zamus so make of that what you will.

Also I have yet to see a single Peach in For Glory. It's super weird.
I've seen like one Peach on For Glory. Wasn't that good and the other guy switched right back to his main(Marth).

You think they'll patch Zelda? I hope so. She could use a boost. I like playing as her for fun, but I dare say she isn't a go to for serious matches.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I feel like she's better off than a few characters (Ganondorf, DK, Mega Man, etc) but she really does need a patch if she's ever going to escape the lower echelons of the tier list.

I dunno if there will be balance patches but Namco is working on this game so it's entirely possible. Sakurai said balance patches are something he'd like to do but that was in late June of 2013 and he says lots of things.

Last edited:

Rion

Smash Journeyman

Well, I got the Nair gimp, right...?

(Completely by accident. That was totally meant to be a Dair, haha)

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Zelda's big issue atm is end lag. It is hard for her to do anything vs fast characters because they can attack all they want and Zelda suffers every time she tries to attack back because we constantly get punished due to end lag. This is the main reason I try to stick to doubles with Zelda because she can get away with a lot more in an environment where she is not the center of attention constantly. She is a great finisher and support character which is usually how I like to play.
  • All her aerials have a lot of end lag... even Nair which is pretty stupid.
  • Nayru's, Din's, Farore's, and Phantom all have noticeable end lag that makes them easily punishable.
  • Dash attack has noticeable end lag that is easily punished.
  • Smash attacks all have a pretty large amount of end lag but they are smash attacks so that is expected.
  • That gives us jab, down tilt, forward tilt, and up tilt... Not very many options for fast attacks. Forward tilt and up tilt still have a little bit of endlag but nothing compared to her other moves.
Overall she feels like a ranged Ganondorf so far in Smash 4. She has devastating attacks both ranged and up close but they suffer a lot of ending lag as a form of balance. This is a pretty bad formula for singles but it can work rather well in doubles. Sakurai said something about characters being balanced for different game modes and you can clearly see Zelda was not balanced to be a singles fighter lol. Don't get me wrong though, I have played her quite a bit in singles and she feels great but fast characters like Sonic and Greninja are so hard for Zelda to do anything against if the player is good.

Rion

Smash Journeyman

God dammit if only this worked with Fair too.

It's literally just needs 1-2 more frames and it'd come out properly! Arghhh~!

So close yet so far.

Last edited:

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Yes this is great! I too have been trying to mix this in but sometimes it's tricky because I tend to lose sight of why I'm using this and end up fishing for a sweetspot kill.

I would recommend using this as an alternative to spotdodge > punish, or to punish landing lag on some characters who try to swat you away with an attack when they land (looking at peach's nair here...)

I don't know if it's safe on shield from behind, but I wouldn't imagine so. Good visual Rion!!!

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Yes this is great! I too have been trying to mix this in but sometimes it's tricky because I tend to lose sight of why I'm using this and end up fishing for a sweetspot kill.

I would recommend using this as an alternative to spotdodge > punish, or to punish landing lag on some characters who try to swat you away with an attack when they land (looking at peach's nair here...)

I don't know if it's safe on shield from behind, but I wouldn't imagine so. Good visual Rion!!!

Notice the first sweetspot kick that hits shield; they slide pretty far! I'd say it'd be pretty hard to punish in that situation. Powershield/spotdodge will definitely f' you over though!

It only took 2 sweetspot kicks + Nayru's to break a shield if you think about it. I was pretty surprised, though Nayru's also seems to eat a ton of shield.

Last edited:
Top Bottom