• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I really don't like the 3DS controls.

Everything feels slow af. I've actually been more interested in Hyrule Warriors lately than Smash because the controls are so frustrating. That said, I know there are a number of people out there who have more or less gotten the hang of the controls by now. It's actually quite hard to win a match with Zelda online, and even the cpu can occasionally take the game. I'm not even sure if it's a character thing. THE CONTROLS BLOW.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
So far online and in the matches I've fought locally, few people seem to expect when I'll release the Phantom. Do they all assume we'll charge it fully? It's kinda ridiculous how often it hits. I feel like I'm getting away with it more than I should be.
I really don't like the 3DS controls.

Everything feels slow af. I've actually been more interested in Hyrule Warriors lately than Smash because the controls are so frustrating. That said, I know there are a number of people out there who have more or less gotten the hang of the controls by now. It's actually quite hard to win a match with Zelda online, and even the cpu can occasionally take the game. I'm not even sure if it's a character thing. THE CONTROLS BLOW.

If the CPUs beat you, then yes, you may need to practice with the controls more =P
Still, even those of us that have gotten the hang of it know just how utterly subpar the circle pad is and how damaging the lack of a c-stick is.

Last edited:

Rion

Smash Journeyman
I have to admit I never thought about using Farore's Windfall. It does look at least a bit interesting now that it's been presented like that though!

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
So after some tinkering around with my controls and finally playing a little online (For glory just because sifting through a Japanese 3DS is hard but thanks MVD for letting me borrow it) I've been bringing on the destruction!!! Retreating pivot Ftilt is SO GOOD. Dthrow -> Uair is essentially guaranteed kill setup so long as rage doesn't buff the Dthrow too much. Ledgewarping retains the awesome FW hitbox so hilarity ensues. SH Dair autocancels but you have to input the Dair almost as soon as you leave the ground. Still not that hard to make use of it. Zelda is now Ganon with that move. Still taking time to phase jab into my game but its getting there. All in all, excitement growing a little bit waiting for the WiiU. Not sure Zelda is toast yet.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
played against a zelda

2 stocked her taking only 20% damage

rofl, throw her offstage and she's basically little mac

Edit: I like how we posted that at like, the same time.

Scary!Optimism

sigh

Last edited:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
NEVER GONNA STOP THE OPTIMISM TRAIN.............NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I mean there's always Sheik since I'm gonna be splitting time like I did in Brawl but I'm looking to do precisely the same thing for Zelda in this game as I did in Brawl. After getting a little more comfy with it, I'm confident.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
zeldas grab is minimum 10 frames

maybe 11

lol, it really looked faster this time, but apparently it isn't.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Oh my ****
It really felt much faster =/

Last edited by a moderator:

Rion

Smash Journeyman
its right

soz

/final nail
Still gonna play her naturally.

Though I do have to admit the grab thing surprised me.

We should play a match sometime by the way!

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
I actually like Zelda in this game, I think she is a lot better then in Melee and Brawl (not that that is saying much since she was pretty bad in both games), I'm actually considering main-ing her. I just wish that using Din's Fire didn't automatically put you in a hopeless state in the air. So many times I have accidentally slid of the stage when using it and I haven't been able to recover...

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Hi everyone! Just another Zelda-appreciator who tries to make the most of her!

I've been here for a while, but never really posted. Having procured Smash 3DS and planning on getting the Wii U version, I thought it'd be cool to dip in every once in a while, if that's okay with you guys. ^^

So far online and in the matches I've fought locally, few people seem to expect when I'll release the Phantom. Do they all assume we'll charge it fully? It's kinda ridiculous how often it hits. I feel like I'm getting away with it more than I should be.
I'd attribute it to people simply being unsure how to react to the Phantom. Seeing Zelda in FG matches isn't exactly common, and the mechanics of a completely new move is still murky for plenty of people.

Last edited:

Rion

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of the grabbing thing, Sheik VS Zelda's Grab speed:

Although this should be taken with a grain of salt, as these are from iphone recorded videos. However, because they were from the same device at least some sort of comparison can be made.

Naturally, Sheik's is faster from just eyeballing this comparison (the huge circle effect should be noticeable enough for that), not that I'm expecting it to be faster than hers of course!

Counting the frames in Adobe Premiere (with both clips set to 24fps), Sheik's grabbed on frame 4 while Zelda grabbed on frame 6~7.

Again, this is not really a concrete frame count as I don't have a capture card or anything like that, but I really don't think Zelda's grab is -that- slow when you look at these side by side.

I wish I could provide more concrete data, but this is as best as I can do. I hope it helps put some things in a bit more perspective!

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
sheiks is like frame 7 and zeldas is frame 10+

also rion we can play if you want but i think it would be laggy because we have 9000 miles between us

youd need to have god tier internet equal or better than mine

Rion

Smash Journeyman
sheiks is like frame 7 and zeldas is frame 10+

also rion we can play if you want but i think it would be laggy because we have 9000 miles between us

youd need to have god tier internet equal or better than mine
Well, I certainly wouldn't mind trying! I'll PM you. (Sent!)

Last edited:

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Well, it was nice while it lasted!

The connection wasn't -terrible-, but it wasn't great either. That last match totally went to you though, lol (I do appreciate the equalizer stock sacrifice though).

However, it was a very informative (and challenging!) bunch of games we played. Thank you Aerodrome!

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
lawl, ggs Rion, holy **** that connection was playable, there was definitely noticeable input lag, BUT IT WAS PLAYABLE wtf

Do you play competitively? You're pretty good, you keep baiting out my stuff with foxtrots and stuff and i was like ragggge

One tip though, your ledge options you choose are extremely predictable. You only you roll from ledge 70% of the time and jump 25% of the time. I was trying my hardest to punish it but input lag was like... no. Although I think I fsmashed you a couple of times and then you started jumping more and so I think you realised I was reading that pretty easily.

Ignore my Zelda, she doesn't play anything like how I play her in Brawl now so it's bad bad bad

Rion

Smash Journeyman
lawl, ggs Rion, holy **** that connection was playable, there was definitely noticeable input lag, BUT IT WAS PLAYABLE wtf

Do you play competitively? You're pretty good, you keep baiting out my stuff with foxtrots and stuff and i was like ragggge

One tip though, your ledge options you choose are extremely predictable. You only you roll from ledge 70% of the time and jump 25% of the time. I was trying my hardest to punish it but input lag was like... no. Although I think I fsmashed you a couple of times and then you started jumping more and so I think you realised I was reading that pretty easily.

Ignore my Zelda, she doesn't play anything like how I play her in Brawl now so it's bad bad bad
I used to once upon a time during the Brawl era. I entered in a few tournaments as well but nothing very noteworthy in terms of rankings. And thank you! I remember someone mentioning how Dash Attack was getting away with more than it should and boy did I ever feel the opposite in our games, haha.

I think I used the ledgeroll a lot against you because you frequently held shield with Bowser right at the ledge, so I figured the best way to escape would be to roll back on, since it would

A. Take longer for you to let go of shield + input a move and
B. Puts me the safest distance away from you since you were right at the ledge.
C. I was getting grabbed -a lot-, and you stood in shield a lot, so ledge attacking/normal get up options seemed a less feasible.

However, you were right about stuffing me a few times with Fsmash haha. That was when you started to put Bowser in a more "awkward" spot, so rolling got riskier. I did get caught by a practically fully charged DSmash trying to ledge attack too (and died at like 70%), so I think I got a bit nervous about my options after that (hence the jumping being added). I did Fair you one time you tried to do that again though, haha.

Perhaps I might be underestimating just a normal get up though. I don't know!

Probably the most frustrating for me was not getting enough Dair gimps! I flat out missed more than I would have liked.

Also Zelda's dtilt clanking with Bowser's normal from behind. Whoo~ yeah~ awright~!

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I used to once upon a time during the Brawl era. I entered in a few tournaments as well but nothing very noteworthy in terms of rankings. And thank you! I remember someone mentioning how Dash Attack was getting away with more than it should and boy did I ever feel the opposite in our games, haha.

I think I used the ledgeroll a lot against you because you frequently held shield with Bowser right at the ledge, so I figured the best way to escape would be to roll back on, since it would

A. Take longer for you to let go of shield + input a move and
B. Puts me the safest distance away from you since you were right at the ledge.
C. I was getting grabbed -a lot-, and you stood in shield a lot, so ledge attacking/normal get up options seemed a less feasible.

However, you were right about stuffing me a few times with Fsmash haha. That was when you started to put Bowser in a more "awkward" spot, so rolling got riskier. I did get caught by a practically fully charged DSmash trying to ledge attack too (and died at like 70%), so I think I got a bit nervous about my options after that (hence the jumping being added). I did Fair you one time you tried to do that again though, haha.

Perhaps I might be underestimating just a normal get up though. I don't know!

Probably the most frustrating for me was not getting enough Dair gimps! I flat out missed more than I would have liked.

Also Zelda's dtilt clanking with Bowser's normal from behind. Whoo~ yeah~ awright~!
Defs, Dash attack as an approach is generally a no-no

Generally I would stand at the ledge and wait and react to ledge actions, but I had to shield because I couldn't really shield on reaction in the input lag, and I'd try to drop shield > turn around grab and I'd just grab the wrong direction lel

Roll is honestly an ok option, being on the ledge in this game is a HORRIBLE position to be in since every action can be punished so you HAVE to make sure that there's no patterns to your ledge game or else you'll get punished severely. And yes, normal get up is still a pretty good option! It has less vulnerable frames than a roll does.

I'm extremely grab-happy, I like to play defensive characters too (which is what attracted me to Zelda in Brawl, and later Wolf), so turtle is a fun character for me. Throwing people is fun.

I liked how you couldn't use Din's on stage because I'd just run up to you and grab you. You tried it while I was in the air at some point too but I just used fair and cancelled it >.>, I think I got hit by the move like... twice.

You used Nayru's and jab and dtilt excellently though imo, you make Zelda look like a half decent character rofl

Go to local tournaments!

Edit: One last thing, down throw I am convinced is useless. up throw is honestly probably better at starting combos.

Last edited:

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Defs, Dash attack as an approach is generally a no-no

Generally I would stand at the ledge and wait and react to ledge actions, but I had to shield because I couldn't really shield on reaction in the input lag, and I'd try to drop shield > turn around grab and I'd just grab the wrong direction lel

Roll is honestly an ok option, being on the ledge in this game is a HORRIBLE position to be in since every action can be punished so you HAVE to make sure that there's no patterns to your ledge game or else you'll get punished severely. And yes, normal get up is still a pretty good option! It has less vulnerable frames than a roll does.

I'm extremely grab-happy, I like to play defensive characters too (which is what attracted me to Zelda in Brawl, and later Wolf), so turtle is a fun character for me. Throwing people is fun.

I liked how you couldn't use Din's on stage because I'd just run up to you and grab you. You tried it while I was in the air at some point too but I just used fair and cancelled it >.>, I think I got hit by the move like... twice.

You used Nayru's and jab and dtilt excellently though imo, you make Zelda look like a half decent character rofl

Go to local tournaments!

Edit: One last thing, down throw I am convinced is useless. up throw is honestly probably better at starting combos.
Yeah, Dash Attack... My trusty punisher is not good in these defensive situations, haha.

I noticed that too when you grabbed in the wrong direction, haha. I think I would have gotten much more punished if you had the proper connection. I will definitely try my best to work on incorporating more mix ups for my ledge get up game though-!

So many "awkward" footsie situations that got me nervous. Like being in range of Bowser's huge normals but not in range of Zelda's. That's the worst situation I hate being in, haha.

And Din's hitting -twice-?! That's like, a miracle already to be honest. I'll take what I can get when it comes to that move. I did nick you with Farore's a couple times too, though I definitely did not want to rely on it.

Hmm, your Bowser really made me feel actual ledge pressure for the first time in a while. I never felt so hard pressed when I reached the ledge before, so it was a good experience!

I take your compliment very happily, considering your generally bleak outlook on Zelda this time around haha. It really is a big compliment coming from you, so thank you very much!

To be honest? I was actually using down throw in a panic hahaha! I normally never use it so often, but I think I wasn't thinking straight at some points (especially at the beginning)! Although I did get a semi-successful Uair out of that chase I did one time on the Mario Level if you remember. Though considering it's VS Bowser, it might have been a tad risky...

We should play again some time!

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I agree that we should play again soon. I'm fairly decent at analyzing other peoples play, so if you ever want to play, hit me up!

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Even though she's still bad, it makes me happy to see Zelda evolve from only having two moves in Melee to having usable projectiles, grab combos, and no more jokes about down-B being her best move.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
honestly if she had down b it would be even better because she'd rise at least 50 places on the tier list

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Since Melee Zelda has been designed around being a punish character.
That's obviously not working with Sakurai & Team =/

TP Zelda is best Zelda, always

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
To me, Zelda is still a character with a quite good game design (there's flaws, of course), but absolutely not made for competitive plays.

Oh and TP Zelda is obviously awesome.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
So I had a teleburn KO today. Off the top of the screen. Against an opponent on ground level. Who only had 50 damage.

Granted he was charging a Smash attack, but still. I'm not entirely a fan of the design choice of putting the best kill move she has there while everything else is what it is.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It completely baffles me that they made her NOW 3 only kill moves into the incredibly unreliable up b, and f/bair.

~sigh~

Edit: I think they buffed f-smash, but that's also not reliable since everyone except bowser just randomly pops out if you're not standing next to them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom