• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Q & A / FAQs / Directory ~

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pretty soon I want to record a hitbox vid for Zelda on a custom stage with the grid texture. Just gotta finish what I'm working on right now. =X

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m218/piumanera/pikachuisthebest/dsmash-1-2.png

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m218/piumanera/pikachuisthebest/dtilt-1-2.png

They seem comparable in range. Dtilt hits behind her sooner than Dsmash, but Dsmash hit's behind her further. So Dsmash has more range overall.
I looked at that picture but I really couldn't tell. I've been having trouble when people have been like right in my face. It's a range where Fsmash comes out to slow and Dsmash will either whiff or be shield. I was wondering if Dtilt would get the job done.

@kaylo it'd be pretty awesome if you made that vid of Zelda she really needs one.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Not possible yet. :(

We pretty much have to wait until the coding process is revealed or for one of the few people who know how to do it to care enough about Zelda to do one for her.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hell no, lol.

I can do frame advance and read data from BrawlBox/PSA/OSA, but honestly, that's something that anybody can learn how to do..... coding and hacking are beyond me.

If someone ever writes step-by-step instructions, I'd be willing to try, but atm I only know of a handful of people who know how to do it. I also think there're some final bugs they're trying to work out.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Hell no, lol.

I can do frame advance and read data from BrawlBox/PSA/OSA, but honestly, that's something that anybody can learn how to do..... coding and hacking are beyond me.

If someone ever writes step-by-step instructions, I'd be willing to try, but atm I only know of a handful of people who know how to do it. I also think there're some final bugs they're trying to work out.
I thought you jst added a code that would show her hit boxes and stuff. *shrugs* I'll look it up I guess.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Nah, you have to go & make a new .pac file by editing her bones and stuff. It's a little complicated from what I heard from people who did hitbox ones (and I think hurtbubbles are harder than hitbubbles).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Nah, you have to go in make a new .pac file by editing her bones and stuff. It's a little complicated from what I heard from people who did hitbox ones (and I think hurtbubbles are harder than hitbubbles).
Ah I see I just realized I'm not even too sure what I'm looking up anyways. *shrugs* it doesn't seem as if this will be made for Zelda anytime soon.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Can someone explains Zelda's nair to me I don't understand the properties of the move.

It's multi hit
trascande priority ?
Shield stabs? or pokeS?
Why doesn't my opponent DI out of the move ?

WickedDeceit

Smash Cadet
Zelda bayblades ftw

It's multi hit
Ya
transcendent priority ?
Pretty bad priority. Don't challenge people in the air with it unless timing/spacing under them or predicting a slow aerial (i.e. Peach's Fair). Fast falling it onto them works well with timing.

Shield stabs? or pokes?
Safe on block if you land behind them (w/ autocancel). You can try to shield poke their face with timing/spacing but after a few times (one) you'll get grabbed.
Why doesn't my opponent DI out of the move ?
D.I. varies greatly w/ this move; most is explained in the O.P. Basically if you're in the air D.I. backwards (that's where they'll D.I. as well) and you'll get the most hits. If you hit them while they're grounded watch how they D.I. and ground chase (grab, upsmash, Uair).

Also Nair to Uair/Bair is sexy

EDIT: also I think I read somewhere that the game makers made it intentionally difficult to D.I. out of (like Zelda's Upsmash for many char's). its for the effect.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
EDIT: also I think I read somewhere that the game makers made it intentionally difficult to D.I. out of (like Zelda's Upsmash for many char's).
*swoops in with data*

It's true! For instance, Zelda's usmash is hard to SDI out of because the first 10 hits have a hitlag multiplier of .5 (meaning the opponent has relatively less frames during which they can SDI)* and an SDI multiplier of .1 (meaning they don't move as far with each SDI input).

*Electric moves have more hitlag, so that makes up for the .5 HLM a bit.

For those curious, the sweetspots on her fair/bair have SDI multipliers of 0, which is why they can't be SDI'd, only DI'd.

EDIT: Oh, I should mention that nair has an SDI multiplier of 0 as well. Since that's what we're talking about and all lol.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Nayru's Love. :p

& yeah, it does have invincibility during the beginning. Frames 5-12.

@Zeldas: Yeah, I retested it/confirmed with PSA..... IFs go to 12, not 11. =X

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Nayru's Love. :p

& yeah, it does have invincibility during the beginning. Frames 5-12.

@Zeldas: Yeah, I retested it/confirmed with PSA..... IFs go to 12, not 11. =X
is it really invincible I getting hit and grabbed out of it soooo much it frustrates me.

Is Zelda's nair disjointeD?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's 12. You're probably trading or getting grabbed out of it on 13..... and if it's stale, the first hits do ~0% damage each, so it might not look like a legit trade.

Nair's not really that disjointed. Look at its hitbubble pictures and imagine where her hand might be..... the space between that and the edges of the bubble is its disjoint. (You can actually see her hand poking out on one side, which proves its relative lack of disjoint.)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
It's 12. You're probably trading or getting grabbed out of it on 13..... and if it's stale, the first hits do ~0% damage each, so it might not look like a legit trade.

Nair's not really that disjointed. Look at its hitbubble pictures and imagine where her hand might be..... the space between that and the edges of the bubble is its disjoint. (You can actually see her hand poking out on one side, which proves its relative lack of disjoint.)
Ah okay. Just on the picture which is the length of the move the yellowish color bubble or the shadowy orange trim at the edge/

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
As much as a hate it... I need to learn Zelda. I never really liked her, but I guess I can learn to like her. I'm already in love with FSmash.
So, tell me, what is suggested reading and who is a good Zelda to watch?

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
lookup my usage of zelda/sheik in c4 and realize I'm still legit

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
As much as a hate it... I need to learn Zelda. I never really liked her, but I guess I can learn to like her. I'm already in love with FSmash.
So, tell me, what is suggested reading and who is a good Zelda to watch?
Stickies are ur best bet in terms of information, but even digging through the social thread can net you some decent discussion, so have a look there. I'd recommend setting yourself challenges in winning a match going solo-zelda against the cast so you can get accustomed to scoring hits and just generally getting accustomed to her more easily.

WickedDeceit

Smash Cadet
Is the lag on Dair too great to follow-up with a Bair in one short hop? I've tried to do this numerous times and the frame data isn't encouraging.

I think this question is more about wishful thinking and facing reality.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's not even close to possible, lol.

Zelda's only in the air for 44 frames when she short hops, and dair alone is 44 frames long.

Chrno626

Smash Rookie
just wanted to say HI, I'm new at the forum, I'd like to join Zelda boards, I'll try to prove myself useful, nice to meet ya'all

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hey Chrno, welcome. :) It's a little quiet around here, but if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Spamming Zelda smashes won me my first major tourney set. I miss those days. :c

Because people were more stupid about fighting her than they are now.
It also bothers me that some people are credited with best "_____".
When the only time they placed good in a tournament with said character was 2 years ago.
People don't realize that brawls metagame has changed and just because someone managed to do good with a low tier years ago doesn't they can still do good with them now and they're "da bess".

I cant tell you how many best "_____" don't even use those characters in tournament most of the times.

Imo if you get high with Metaknight/Falco/Diddy/Snake or any other high tier and you pulled out your pocket Zelda for the tournament you shouldnt be credited with "Best Zelda".
No offense to anyone here because I don't know who anyone uses here besides Zelda but I've yet to see really good results from tournaments where anyone has actually used Zelda for more than a few matches.

Also why are tourneys where 70% of the people attending are scrubs counted?
I'm positive I could round up 30+ scrubs at my community college and get first with Zelda, this doesn't make her any better of a character.
And frankly **** like this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284826
shouldn't be counted.
It looks nice that a Zelda got 2nd out of 70 but its a free tournament.
Any city with a somewhat populated are can get 70 kids to come play a game for FREE even if they have no previous experience.
You can tell most of them aren't even smashers by the names they use.

In fact even in the big tournament threads where Zeldas supposedly placed well, a simple name/character name search for post tournament shoutouts can reveal if the person really even used Zelda.

tl:dr
I don't think tournament results including Zelda should be posted in the tournament thread if you went say, Snake(or any higher/mid tier) the entire tournament and whipped out Zelda because you were playing a noob.
Same goes for Sheik, check to verify they didn't pull Zelda out for a smash attack kill and actually fought with her.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
For instance if ed got 49 out of 18x in singles, why is it that when "Zelda" is searched in the thread no post results come up other than ZeldaMasterTimmy/Lady Legion???
Nothing about anyone playing Zelda.
http://www.smashboards.com/search.php?searchid=4020548

Surely someone would comment on someone who actually used Zelda placing that well in tournament.

At my second tourny when I got 33 out of 113 using Z/S(note: not just Sheik with Zelda to kill, around 70%Z 30%S, usually roughly 50/50 but ill admit I was enjoying going Zelda just to hear people talk at this one) when you search Zelda in the results thread you actually see people commenting on me using Zelda.

http://www.smashboards.com/search.php?searchid=4020602

People are surprised and shocked a Zelda made it that far and it's something to talk about, so they're gonna make post about it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Uhh. That was kind of random.

I'm not sure who you're referring to as far as implying someone shouldn't be credited with the title of best Zelda, but through tourney results and videos, it's pretty obvious that Bobby is the best Zelda -- despite the fact that he's in an isolated region and uses other characters. Riot, Scary, and maybe others are also mentioned, but it's always admitted that it's hard to even try to rank them since some don't do singles very often (Riot), some also use Sheik (Scary), others fall in and out of activity, etc. etc.

If we tried to rank Zelda players the way you're suggesting, the list would have zero people on it, lol. As for the tourney thread, it's all-inclusive, but it doesn't try to rank people or anything, so there's no problem with that. Let people enjoy their success without judging whether it's "good enough" or not.

Top Bottom