• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Am i the only one not sold about sheik being a separate character? It just seems rather pointless if there's going to be no connection to zelda whatsoever, especially when a suitable inheritor for the moveset is practically gift wrapped in the form of impa.

andimidna

Smash Master
Am i the only one not sold about sheik being a separate character? It just seems rather pointless if there's going to be no connection to zelda whatsoever, especially when a suitable inheritor for the moveset is practically gift wrapped in the form of impa.
It's possible that you just click on Sheik to start as her like in Brawl, but it would seem kind of hidden away to do so if the aren't connected anymore.

Think of it like Link and Young Link in Melee.
Not only were they technically the same person, but they also had the same moveset.
But... 2 slots.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
One thing I never got with Tetra is when she turns to Zelda why does she get so pale
The at hair at least, it can be believably be bunched up into that weird ponytail thing Tetra's got, and then just stick her in a dress.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
One thing I never got with Tetra is when she turns to Zelda why does she get so pale
The at hair at least, it can be believably be bunched up into that weird ponytail thing Tetra's got, and then just stick her in a dress.
I never tried to question it because I knew that I wouldn't get anywhere.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Did you know the goddes of hyrule are represented by fire (din), wind (farore) and water (nayru)?
Link: wind.
YL: Fire.
TL: water (dair is a wave ;)).

i want to discuss this somewhere, he could also use his oracles inspired look.

Think about it: the return of melee's beloved veteran with a whole new look and an actually worth role when comes to represent the zelda franchise (classic style).

Anyone?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No, give me Impa.

Burst Grenades and Bouncing Fishes can walk to hell!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It's possible that you just click on Sheik to start as her like in Brawl, but it would seem kind of hidden away to do so if the aren't connected anymore.

Think of it like Link and Young Link in Melee.
Not only were they technically the same person, but they also had the same moveset.
But... 2 slots.
The Zelda Franchise is a little weird now.
Two slots for two different Links and two different slots for two different Zeldas. Whatever.

No, give me Impa.

Burst Grenades and Bouncing Fishes can walk to hell!
Sakurai could have given those things to Impa, you know.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It's looking less likely that Zelda will get a new rep, but it probably deserves one, because it hasn't gotten a NEW new rep since Melee. A lot of emphasis has been put on Skyward Sword, especially considering its low sales, but I'm not sure that Ghirahim or Demise deserve a slot any more than Midna did in Brawl. I'd be hyped for Pig Ganon, though.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
but... the fire arrows... folks :'''(

A lot of emphasis has been put on Skyward Sword, especially considering its low sales
We have TP zelda, there is no strong emphasis at all, is only one stage.
Anyways, the imprisioned (demise) could very well be our stage boss.

Last edited:

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Haha. Legend of Zelda. Keyword being Zelda. That is a good point!

I actually do really like Tetra as a character. Having her over the other characters would be completely acceptable in my book. At least initially though, (because he had so many different boss fights), Ghirahim has more to bring to the table as @stan423321 was saying above. That said, he is a one-off character from the worst selling Zelda game, compared to Tetra's starring role in.. what? 2-3 games? There is plenty to make with her character as a pirate in the same way that Greninja can be inspired by a ninja.
Thanks! :D It's nice to see peeps acknowledging the perspective of others.

I agree it's easier to picture Girahim bringing something original to the table - at least in terms of fighting style, because I think in terms of character and aesthetic Tetra is one of the best potential newcomers. But I felt much the same for Skull Kid, Vaati and (especially) Zant - all fantastic potential styles, but all ultimately one-shot villains.
Not to say Sakurai should ever be judged on past decisions. But Tetra has been in 4 games if you count the WW remake, one of which she starred in - the only Zelda spin-off bar Tingle. And I just can't get over how fantastic an addition a little girl pirate would be to the colourful cast :)

(as an aside, your sig is basically my wishlist minus Tetra :D )

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
While Sheik is one of my favorite video game characters, I kind of agree with this (and @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong )! Having her alone makes basically no sense as she isn't her own character in her game(s). Impa could have inherited most of her moveset and added her spin, since Impa has always been a stand-alone character. That said, if we got SS Impa, I would be sad if we didn't get Ghirahim.

I agree it's easier to picture Girahim bringing something original to the table - at least in terms of fighting style, because I think in terms of character and aesthetic Tetra is one of the best potential newcomers. But I felt much the same for Skull Kid, Vaati and (especially) Zant - all fantastic potential styles, but all ultimately one-shot villains.
Not to say Sakurai should ever be judged on past decisions. But Tetra has been in 4 games if you count the WW remake, one of which she starred in - the only Zelda spin-off bar Tingle. And I just can't get over how fantastic an addition a little girl pirate would be to the colourful cast :)

No problem, amigo!

And wow, 4 games! Man, I call myself a Zelda fan.. You'd think I was a Ghirahim fan-boy for how much I've been talking about him making sense (I'm not, really), but he is different from the other one-shot sub-bosses like Skull Kid and Zant as you fought him 3 separate times, with 3 fairly different fights.

I always thought a Tetra redesign as a Twilight Princess-style character would be a really cool addition to the cast, even if it didn't make any sense. :)

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
While Sheik is one of my favorite video game characters, I kind of agree with this (and @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong )! Having her alone makes basically no sense as she isn't her own character in her game(s). Impa could have inherited most of her moveset and added her spin, since Impa has always been a stand-alone character. That said, if we got SS Impa, I would be sad if we didn't get Ghirahim.
Well, it makes some sense considering Sheik is not TP Zelda.

By the way, TP Zelda now summon a Phantom, so logic doesn't really applies :troll:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

Come to think of it, I don't believe that Smash Bros. has ever included a pirate themed character in its roster.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Tetra would be my first choice for a 5th or 6th(?) character and if not her Tingle is a close second. They both have an advantage of being recurring characters and they could bring something new.
I wouldn't mind Tingle's inclusion in the roster but Villager has taken over his signature balloon move. I know that doesn't rule him out per se but red balloons are his thing...along with fairies and magical things of course. But then again his AT status hasn't been confirmed yet so who knows.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also think Tingle was out the moment Villager showed up with the Balloon Flight Up B. I mean, there's not even need for Villager to have that as an Up B move, he could've easily had something else I guess. And I doubt they'd give Tingle another sort of balloon based Up B. Tingle after all had a game that was based on Ballloon Flight right?

Think he will show up as an AT eventually however.

To me it's still between Impa and Tetra honestly. If Sheik was out, I'd even like both Impa and Ghirahim. I mean, this has to really be one of Skyward Sword's most well known and most awesome cutscene:

It's a shame to think of what could've been... I'd LOVE to fight this fight in Smash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh, counting out Tingle just because of the balloon move doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Or Toon Link would have been out the moment they showed Link's Up B.

Or Luigi would have been out the moment they showed Mario's Up B.

Or Dedede would have been out the moment they showed Kirby's hammer.

Just saying.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Or Sonic
Eh, counting out Tingle just because of the balloon move doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Or Toon Link would have been out the moment they showed Link's Up B.

Or Luigi would have been out the moment they showed Mario's Up B.

Or Dedede would have been out the moment they showed Kirby's hammer.

Just saying.
Or Sonic because of Megaman's Rush Coil.

I'm pretty sure the list can be long.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You are definitely not alone in that one. Now Sheik's been separated from Zelda, I have to wonder if she stands up as an important enough standalone character within the Zelda series or whether, like Jigglypuff, her veteran status is really the only thing that gives her a free pass...

Still, if we get a sixth Zelda character I'd personally be fine with another Toon; Vaati(in particular), Tetra or Tingle. I'd be okay with beast Ganon too, but I'm not sold on these one offs anymore than I'm sold on Sheik being solo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik will probably never be important in the main series of Zelda. It's extremely likely she'll never appear in any at all actually! But still, she gets bull****ted in Smash everytime...

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Sheik will probably never be important in the main series of Zelda. It's extremely likely she'll never appear in any at all actually! But still, she gets bull****ted in Smash everytime...
Dat rage :troll:

I now think Tetra would be one of the best choice, despite not wanting her at first.

She is not bound to Toon Zelda anymore (because it's not that the best thing for Toon Zelda was Tetra, but the Worst Thing for Tetra was Toon Zelda), and would make a friend for the lone Toon Link. Plus it's another form of my favorite princess :awesome:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well... She can also turn into a man, so it's nothing compared to that. :troll:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I really think Tingle is more deserving than any one off characters at this point. As much as people don't like him he is unique, interesting (even if in a bad way to some), has loads of personality, and has a lot of history with the franchise. And with Zelda, that is somewhat hard to come by, considering the relative lack of returning characters other than Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Impa would have been great as well of course.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
A character that appeared in every zelda game ( but with many different designs...) and is very well known

POLEMIC!

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Seeing Darunia in Hyrule Warriors, I want him in Smash. I want to solve problems with a giant stone hammer.

crotch protector

Smash Apprentice
It's amazing how my opinion of Hyrule Warriors has changed since it was announced. I'm not at all in love with the Dynasty Warriors gameplay, but the chance to wreck face using the best characters in the Zeldaverse is too cool.

Ideally for Smash, I would have (adult) Link with conventional Zelda weapons (bow, bombs, boomerang), Toon Link with some less mainstream items for his specials (Deku Leaf?!), Zelda doing her magic thing, Impa taking over the ninja mantle from Sheik (SS Impa - wot a babe), and Ganondorf getting the revamp he so desperately needs.

Even without Impa/Sheik, this really represents the franchise pretty well, imo.

EDIT: Oh yeah, oneshots like Ghirahim and Majora don't deserve a spot until they feature heavily in another game, imo.

Last edited:

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
As much as I know it's not fair to current Ganon mains...I PRAY we get a Ganondorf similar to Hyrule Warriors. Other than that, I, like most, would LOVE to see Impa in her Skyward Sword form. I like the idea of Girahim, too. But if we are going to do more villains, then I think Vaati deserves it more. He was in Four Swords, Four Swords Adventure AND The Minish Cap. (LOVE that game, good job Capcom.)

Zant would be awesome, too....

Seeing Darunia in Hyrule Warriors, I want him in Smash. I want to solve problems with a giant stone hammer.
THIS! Smash needs more hammers. Ice Climbers, Kirby and G&W not wacking hard enough. Course there is DeDeDe but his mallet is just wood.

EDIT: If anyone cares about how much each LoZ sold and other number for the franchise, here's a site...

http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/zelda-sales-numbers-in-context#.U-qMJfldUfU

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If there's a brand new Zelda newcomer, I sincerely hope it's not just another Link or another Zelda.
Agreed. The character that I'm concerned the most with is ganondorf. If Ganondorf doesn't change from Brawl then he might as well get cut and replaced with a different villain. I highly doubt it'll happen though now that we have custom move sets. Ganondorf's warlock punch might get changed and added to C. falcon's custom specials.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Honestly, althought I like Ganondorf as a brawler and a mage, I'm confident we will see him with a sword this time. I feel like he was always meant to have a sword since Melee. His challenger icon in Melee show him with a sword, and in Brawl, there's a coop event where Marth and Ike fight Smash swordmens... And there's ganondorf in it. There's also the victory pose and the taunt.

About a newcommer, I don't mind another Zelda or Link, as long as they are different. That's why I think Tetra have chances: she may be Zelda, but she is totally different from the rest of the Zelda characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ah yes I think I know already. Saw your posts about Toon Zelda in the character discussion / speculation thread earlier. Personally, I could see Toon Zelda happen, but am not sold on her inclusion plainly because of her obviously being a full clone. Three characters essentially being Zelda (Zelda, Sheik, Toon Zelda) also bugs me wrong.

Then there's the issue about Phantom. I don't really think it hints towards Toon Zelda's inclusion. Zelda getting it in the first place already makes a note to Spirit Tracks. It represents the Toon Zelda series in it's own roght.

Anyway, if you're down we can discuss it more

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Ah yes I think I know already. Saw your posts about Toon Zelda in the character discussion / speculation thread earlier. Personally, I could see Toon Zelda happen, but am not sold on her inclusion plainly because of her obviously being a full clone. Three characters essentially being Zelda (Zelda, Sheik, Toon Zelda) also bugs me wrong.

Then there's the issue about Phantom. I don't really think it hints towards Toon Zelda's inclusion. Zelda getting it in the first place already makes a note to Spirit Tracks. It represents the Toon Zelda series in it's own roght.

Anyway, if you're down we can discuss it more
Yeah, when I said I would save the discussion for another time, I meant when I posted my expected roster on the Character Speculation Thread, but I made the comment on who I think our sixth Zelda representative would be. That ended up sparking a pretty big discussion. Haha.

I don't tend to see the Phantom Slash as a hindrance to Toon Zelda's chances because I feel as if they would have given Zelda a different move entirely. I find it odd that they gave Twilight Princess Zelda a move inspired by a completely different set of games in the Zelda universe. I think it's possible that they conceived the move for Toon Zelda first, then gave a variation to normal Zelda to keep their move sets alike.

I also found it odd that the Phantom Trophy resembled the one that Toon Zelda is depicted as using in Spirit Tracks. It's the exact model from all of the Spirit Tracks artwork. It could mean nothing, but I can't help but wonder to myself why they didn't just use the model that they created for Zelda's Phantom Slash. It wouldn't really make a difference. My idea is that they used the model that Toon Zelda's Phantom Slash would look like.

Sure you could look at this both ways. It could either help her chances, or hinder them. Almost all evidence can be looked at both ways though. Is Ridley a boss, or was Sakurai just messing with us? Is Dark Pit actually playable, or does he serve some other purpose in the game? I like to consider the Phantom Trophy and the Phantom Slash in the same vein as those allusions. We ultimately won't know anything until the game releases, or the true sixth Zelda representative is finally shown off in a trailer. We might not even get a sixth Zelda representative at all, but I would hope we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom