• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lucario's Aura gimmick is stupid.
Pokémon Trainer's stamina is stupid.
Ice Climber's wobbling is stupid.
Zelda / Sheik's imbalance is stupid, and outdated.

Why do you want to play a stupid game Oasis?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It gives unique feel to Lucario. As far as I know, he is the only high-risk high-reward character in the game. An aura-less Lucario would be a Wolf of Mewtwo.
Except a comeback mechanic does make one a high risk, high reward character. And quite frankly, its their fault for not making a diverse playable roster.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
And quite frankly, its their fault for not making a diverse playable roster.
If one man takes it all upon himself, that had to happen. It's rather hard for one person to come up with original playstyles for nearly forty characters.

Hopefully, there will be more diversity this time around.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo and Lucario would still be quite unique from each other even if the Aura gimmick was gone.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Lucario's Aura gimmick is stupid.
Pokémon Trainer's stamina is stupid.
Ice Climber's wobbling is stupid.
Zelda / Sheik's imbalance is stupid, and outdated.

Why do you want to play a stupid game Oasis?
I just want to have a lot of stupid fun.

Also, it's hilarious how Kuma took it so seriously. You weren't supposed to AGREE MAN.

Anyway, I can at least take it from both of you that you don't know what you're talking about.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah maybe, or Impa can be her own character.

I think Kuma and I both know what we're Speaking of dear Sir. ;)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai seems to like gimmicks. I think Ice Climbers will still be two characters acting as a team. Zelda and Sheik will still be a transformation character. Pokemon Trainer I can see losing the stamina clause for a different way to force or encourage switching. Lucario, I just do not see coming back. But if he does, I can see tweaks on aura.

But I do not think Sakurai is going to turn Smash into Street Fighter to appease the competitive scene.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dude, Tekken. Namco is making Smash, not Capcom. Sakurai: [laughs]

Seeing as Lucario is still remaining his popularity, I see no good reason to axe him. But this is the Zelda thread... So to keep it on topic, what you thinking about Toon Link?

Still think Sheik should go though.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Personally, I would only keep Toon Link if his specials are different and reflect his games. Otherwise, I would scrap him.

Sakurai, I believe, will keep him. Toon Link does represent a different version of Hyrule.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why cut Toon Link though and not Sheik? As Toon Link has a ton more moves coming from his games than Sheik has.

-Keep Toon Link
-Replace Sheik with Impa
-Add Ghirahim

-Add 4 Zelda ATs (Groose w/ Groosenator, Epona, Spirit Toon Zelda, and Skull Kid w/ Majora's Mask)

CalumG

Smash Lord
Personally I'd go for the following in terms of a roster:

Link
Zelda (without Sheik)
Ganondorf/Dai-Mao/Demon King
Impa (as Sheik's replacement)
Tingle

The four 'cast members' of the original Zelda game (even if Impa was only really mentioned in extra material), plus Tingle obviously, being a spinoff character and one of the most re-occurring characters in the series. I don't personally believe Zelda should have a Sheik transformation for the same reason I wouldn't want Toon Link to return - a Zelda character in Smash should represent every one of their incarnations rather than a specific one. Why do we need Adult Link and Child Link? It should be the one Link, with the best visual and gameplay features of every Link to ever appear. Same goes for Zelda, Ganondorf, Impa and Tingle. All of these five characters are re-incarnated frequently throughout the Zelda multiverse, which as far as I'm concerned makes them the best fit.

If they really wanted to stretch it as well to make the characters into all-encompassing representations of the Zelda series as a whole, they could go out of their way to call Ganondorf Dai-Mao (aka the Demon King) instead and give him some qualities of both Demise and Malladus. The only issue with this is that, although that would appeal to Zelda die-hards, the average gamer still associates 'Ganondorf' with the main enemy of Zelda even though he was reincarnated from Demise and there isn't even one Ganondorf to begin with.

The whole Ganondorf/Dai-Mao thing is probably just wishful thinking on my part, but in general I'd love for them to just represent the series as a whole, as opposed to in Melee which blatantly prioritized OoT/MM and in Brawl which prioritized TWW/TP (and let's face it, pretty much ripped models straight from Twilight Princess). Impa, the Demon King and Zelda as examples have had incredibly differing looks over the years, so the developers could go wild and have some fun making 'best-of' versions which represent a wide span of games but still retain the 'feel' of the character.

Spire

III
BRoomer

Link
Zelda (without Sheik)
Tingle

[collapse=continue reading...]
The four 'cast members' of the original Zelda game (even if Impa was only really mentioned in extra material), plus Tingle obviously, being a spinoff character and one of the most re-occurring characters in the series. I don't personally believe Zelda should have a Sheik transformation for the same reason I wouldn't want Toon Link to return - a Zelda character in Smash should represent every one of their incarnations rather than a specific one. Why do we need Adult Link and Child Link? It should be the one Link, with the best visual and gameplay features of every Link to ever appear. Same goes for Zelda, Ganondorf, Impa and Tingle. All of these five characters are re-incarnated frequently throughout the Zelda multiverse, which as far as I'm concerned makes them the best fit.

If they really wanted to stretch it as well to make the characters into all-encompassing representations of the Zelda series as a whole, they could go out of their way to call Ganondorf Dai-Mao (aka the Demon King) instead and give him some qualities of both Demise and Malladus. The only issue with this is that, although that would appeal to Zelda die-hards, the average gamer still associates 'Ganondorf' with the main enemy of Zelda even though he was reincarnated from Demise and there isn't even one Ganondorf to begin with.

The whole Ganondorf/Dai-Mao thing is probably just wishful thinking on my part, but in general I'd love for them to just represent the series as a whole, as opposed to in Melee which blatantly prioritized OoT/MM and in Brawl which prioritized TWW/TP (and let's face it, pretty much ripped models straight from Twilight Princess). Impa, the Demon King and Zelda as examples have had incredibly differing looks over the years, so the developers could go wild and have some fun making 'best-of' versions which represent a wide span of games but still retain the 'feel' of the character.[/collapse]
This is my favorite post I've ever read in this thread. You OG CalumG :cool:

DoubleAgentXies616

Smash Rookie
But everyone else hates him.
Yeah, Impa on the game would be a better choice for fans to play with.
I just couldn't take Tingle seriously if he was a newcomer for Smash4.

And I guess Impa could be Sheik-like? Why not replace sheik? She hasn't made an appearance since OOT, she is weaker in Brawl than in Melee. They're both sheikah, so a similar playstyle wouldn't be bad! Like Lucario-Mewtwo.

How does Ganondorf come back a thousand times despite being killed by Link? :troll:
LOL, WIN.

Yeah well Skyward Link shouldn't use a boomerang, and Toon Link cannot use Skyward Strike. Hopefully that makes things a little different for them.

Also, the Hurricane Spin varries a lot from regular Spin Attacks, and Toon Link could use elemental arrows as well.
Yes, if things were to stay accurate, that'd be true. But then, why would toon link want a skyward strike? I lean more towards the option that includes some of his PERSONAL arsenal, who knows? The Fantom Hourglass, the Deku Leaf, the grappling hook? IDK.

About Link becoming the most recent Link.
That has happened in every Smash game, true, but Link just cannot lose his boomerang. (Or could they replace it with the beetle??). It's just... a part of him in Smash that simply must stay.
But what I'd personally LOVE to see in Smash4, would be a different link, some sort of standard link from all games, that way he wouldn't have to change that much.
Or, what the heck? Would it be so hard for Skyward Link to hold a boomerang in his hands?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not quite there's a big chance we might get Majora's Mask 3D, but still Remakes are never that major, and TBH there's a better chance to get a unique MM Link or Fierce Deity Link, than having a WW Link.
1. Sakurai thinks that a Toon Link is essential to represent the series considering that there have been at least 5 toon link games in the series.

2. Nintendo has made it clear that they will release a Majora's Mask remake only after an original 3DS title. Even though I'd love an MM remake, it is still many years away.

3. Toon Link can be made unique if Sakurai wants, though I doubt it.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
1. Sakurai thinks that a Toon Link is essential to represent the series considering that there have been at least 5 toon link games in the series.

2. Nintendo has made it clear that they will release a Majora's Mask remake only after an original 3DS title. Even though I'd love an MM remake, it is still many years away.

3. Toon Link can be made unique if Sakurai wants, though I doubt it.

The best option is to fore go the other Link and stick with one Link....a character space could be used more wisely.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Link
Zelda (without Sheik)
Tingle

The whole Ganondorf/Dai-Mao thing is probably just wishful thinking on my part, but in general I'd love for them to just represent the series as a whole, as opposed to in Melee which blatantly prioritized OoT/MM and in Brawl which prioritized TWW/TP (and let's face it, pretty much ripped models straight from Twilight Princess). Impa, the Demon King and Zelda as examples have had incredibly differing looks over the years, so the developers could go wild and have some fun making 'best-of' versions which represent a wide span of games but still retain the 'feel' of the character.
In Toon Link's defense, at this point in the Zelda series, Toon Link would represent all the different games that have used a child Link. Funny thing is, canonically, there are more games with a child Link than an Adult Link. There's also playstyle potential with Toon Link as some iconic items have been exclusive to the Toon games that have not shown up anywhere else. A big example of this is the Wind Waker which could easily be turned into something like Rachel's ability to control wind in BlazBlue (it's her Drive, Sylph, if you want to look it up).

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Not quite there's a big chance we might get Majora's Mask 3D, but still Remakes are never that major, and TBH there's a better chance to get a unique MM Link or Fierce Deity Link, than having a WW Link.
Care to share the logic that led you to that conclusion?

Toon Link has been in 6 of the last 10 Zelda releases:
The Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
The Wind Waker HD

Of fully original stories, he's been the star of 4 of the last 6 (5 of 7 if you count Four Swords Adventures). If you want to count back and include the N64 games, it's still 4 of 8, which you might notice is still half.

In the last 10 years, "Young Link" has been in 1 game - Ocarina of Time 3D.

Fierce Deity Link has been in.... nothing since its only appearance, and is unlikely to appear in anything more besides a possible 3DS remake that has never been confirmed, and as FalKoopa said would be a long way down the priority list anyway. The very best you could possibly hope for would be a Final Smash, and even that is a long shot.

I think all of you Majora's Mask obsessives need to get a grip. Yes it's a great game, but it's not more significant than the combined weight of the last 10 years. There is not going to be a Link devoted to a single game.

"Link" is a legacy character - but he's actually two legacy characters. "Link" and "Young Link." 10 years ago it was decided that "Young Link" would be represented by "Toon Link." That will almost definitely change one day in the future. But it's not going to change in time for SSB4.

Deal with it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Personal roster so far:
Link
Zelda
Impa
Toon Link
Ganondorf (WW style)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just really like him, and he fits best with the Skyward Sword characters, and Toon Link. I'd like a Ocarina-based Ganondorf as well, but that could be kind of out of place. Also, the Forsaken Fortress would make an awesome stage fpr WW Ganondorf.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I suppose he does stand out ever since he was a no-show in skyward sword. But I think this is all going to come down to whatever the new zelda game is going to be. Its been in the works and there's no doubt that sakurai has/will contact them about it. If its another toon link game, WW ganondorf is entirely possible.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
You know this debate about playable characters has cycle through countless times on this thread. I'm curious what kind of Zelda AT and bosses will be around. Should they represent the most recent characters (Skyward Sword, spirit tracks, and the new Zelda game) or the classics (Tingle, Gohma, Twinrova sisters, etc..)?

You know this debate about playable characters has cycle through countless times on this thread. I'm curious what kind of Zelda AT and bosses will be around. Should they represent the most recent characters (Skyward Sword, spirit tracks, and the new Zelda game) or the classics (Tingle, Gohma, Twinrova sisters, etc..)?
Roster:

-Link
-Zelda/Impa
-Ghirahim
-Toon Link
-Wind Waker Ganondorf

Boss:

-Demise
-Gohma (like from the Wii U Tech Demo)

Assist Trophies:

-Groose w/ Groosenator
-Epona
-Spirit Toon Zelda
-Skull Kid w/ Majora's Mask

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
My Zelda Smash Roster:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Impa
Toon Link
Vaati

With Tingle as an assist.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Actually it is interesting people say that stuff will come from the new games (Pokemon, Zelda, etc.) but if you look at Brawl and Melee, that wasn't the case. Brawl didn't use Super Mario Galaxy or Spirit Tracks when both were coming out around that time.

I honestly don't think we will see much materials from the games in development at the same time as Smash 4. We will mostly get past games (i.e. the Wii console titles) in Smash 4.

I expect Zelda to be based on Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks, Mario based on Galaxy and NSMB series, DK to be based on its DKC Returns, etc.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
But look at Melee. Shiek and Ganondorf had only made one appearance by that time. And shiek never even returned in future zelda games.

Also I really didn't like spirit tracks. So to me, ignoring that game is just dandy.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Nintendo doesn't give much love to handheld Zelda titles. Just how many Minish Cap or Phantom Hourglass references were there in Brawl?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually it is interesting people say that stuff will come from the new games (Pokemon, Zelda, etc.) but if you look at Brawl and Melee, that wasn't the case. Brawl didn't use Super Mario Galaxy or Spirit Tracks when both were coming out around that time.

I honestly don't think we will see much materials from the games in development at the same time as Smash 4. We will mostly get past games (i.e. the Wii console titles) in Smash 4.

I expect Zelda to be based on Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks, Mario based on Galaxy and NSMB series, DK to be based on its DKC Returns, etc.
They have a schedule to abide to and a lot of the stuff has to be committed to later on. There was probably not enough time to get references from those games so close to Brawl's release. There was also Metroid Prime 3 that was completely ignored so it's more of a general time frame in the case of Brawl.

volbound1700

Smash Master
They have a schedule to abide to and a lot of the stuff has to be committed to later on. There was probably not enough time to get references from those games so close to Brawl's release. There was also Metroid Prime 3 that was completely ignored so it's more of a general time frame in the case of Brawl.
Yeah, we likely missed even more than those. In fact Skyward Sword was in develping in announcing Smash just as Zelda Wii U is in development. I doubt we will get anything from new Zelda on Smash 4 except maybe a trophy or reference.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not necessarily. Skyward Sword was unveiled back in 2010 whereas Smash 4 didn't start until some time between October 2011 and March 2012. Looking at Brawl, that game was announced at 2005 with Twilight Princess being announced back in 2004. Again, they have to decide the plans early on, and there's always the possibility that the developers will be asked to use certain looks for the characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom