• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your worst matchups?

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
Here are the characters I find to be the most difficult to face:

- Rosalina
- Yoshi
- Samus

Rosa and Yoshi are tier 1, obviously. But my difficulty against Samus befuddles me.

UIFlames

Smash Rookie
Rosalina by far. Hate her so much. The salt comes out when I queue up for FG and wind up vs a Rosalina. It's like, when I play her, I suck the bag but everyone and their grandmother is a god.

Nicmckael

Smash Rookie
I think everyone has problems against rosaluma. Samus is difficult, and pretty much and other projectile based character. It changes my strategy completely. And my performance suffers.

Karthage

Smash Cadet
Rosalina - Everything this character does is stupid.
Both Links - Keepaway sucks for DDD
Samus - Samus is actually a really strong character when you aren't fast and don't beat her projectile game
ZSS - Neutral B is very hard to play against as DDD
Greninja - Can't do much against shuriken spam and reacting to the approaches shuriken spam forces
Captain Falcon - He's so heavy, I find it really hard to KO him before he KO's you in a battle of attrition

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
I don't have much problem with Falcon and Greninja.

Falcon can be Gordo'd and Inhaled with ease.

TZA

Smash Rookie
Havent fought a good player for every character, but I find these to be hard:
- Sonic
- ZSS
- Duckhunt
- Villager
- Samus

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
Rosalina - Everything this character does is stupid.
Both Links - Keepaway sucks for DDD
Samus - Samus is actually a really strong character when you aren't fast and don't beat her projectile game
ZSS - Neutral B is very hard to play against as DDD
Greninja - Can't do much against shuriken spam and reacting to the approaches shuriken spam forces
Captain Falcon - He's so heavy, I find it really hard to KO him before he KO's you in a battle of attrition
Rosalina - Kill the Luma then go for Rosalina, use Ftilt against Rosalina because its going to save your life from these dodges and that stupid dash attack. I've won more against rosalina's this way
Link - Don't rush towards him, you can even use him to practice your shield timing from the projectile spaming, He'll start to come towards you and that's when you start wiping the floor with link.
Samus - Samus (now) is like the D3 reaper because she's just as versatile as D3 in the air, just like link let it spam the projectiles until he starts approaching you, be patient and try to limit your air attacks with Nair Fair/Bair.
Greninja - I've never had any problems against Greninja players, short hop between these spams take advantage of the 5 jump ability you got and pressure him with gordo's and fast falling Nair's.
Captain Falcon - Captain Falcons are not that hard, you can surprise them with close ranged gordo's and inhale ( try to use inhale more often in battles very useful) try to bring him out of the stage.

That's just a few suggestions to add into your playstyle, at best I'd like to see how you play DDD so I can get an idea. See ya

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I thought ZSS was going to be our worst MU, but I have a feeling Diddy is a tad worse.

Combos harder, kills earlier, better stage control, and his Side-B has to be the dumbest move in history.

Only thing that might be worse is his recovery, but even then we gotta be careful

The MU becomes a lot easier if you can gain control of his bananas often, otherwise it's pretty nightmarish.

Last edited:

BulacaFlocka

Smash Rookie
Of the matchups that I have played (surprisingly haven't run into many Yoshis, Rosalina, Greninja, etc.), I've had issues with:

ZSS
Duck Hunt - Can't get close to him.
Samus - So many projectiles, again, can't get close.
Sonic - I just always hate this match up (also in PM).

In tournament, I'll counter Duck Hunt and Samus by going Little Mac. Sonic I just get annoyed with in general, doesn't necessarily have to do with D3. And ZSS we already know.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
Zss - the character is obviously great at zoning so she won't ever come and you can't approach from above. I have a fairly good amount of experience with this MU and I believe that power shielded neutral B => well timed down tilt is key in the matchup, since Zss player tend to grab / dash attack after a blaster shot.

Pacman - I have a limited experience but the camping of the character is pretty good and annoying because of the hydrant. Certainly not a real counter but I guess we should be careful when facing Pacman.

Villager - Great camping abilities and surprising priorities on up air / front and back air. Lloyd rocket is annoying because of ddd's size.

I haven't decided about Rosalina yet, I need more experience on the MU.
Most of the other characters, including Sheik, are pretty good or even matchups, which is nice for DDD.

Last edited:

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Most of the other characters, including Sheik, are pretty good or even matchups, which is nice for DDD.
>Diddy
>Greninja
>Yoshi
>Toon Link
>Duck Hunt
etc.

>Good or even

nope.avi

FierceFox

Smash Apprentice
I love playing Rosaluma's. I usually demolish them.

I feel like Greninja is a great counter to D3. If I ever play skilled Greninja's I'm usually toast.

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
Gordo spam does wonders against Rosa. She can't throw it back at you and when she takes it you can throw another one out. Just run up and shield and make stuff happen. That's kind of what I've been doing.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Gordo spam does wonders against Rosa. She can't throw it back at you and when she takes it you can throw another one out.
Except, you know, she totally can throw it back at you.

I really want to believe you guys are good TripleD players, but the Rosalinas you face are terrible if you're not even remotely struggling in the matchup.

It's definitely a losing matchup for us.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I agree with Jabejazz, Rosalina is an exercise in frustration. Both flavors of Samus also suck, it's really hard to get in on anyone with a passable projectile. I have to question the trouble people are having with Captain Falcon though, I honestly think it's one of Dedede's stronger matchups. Every time I've faced a Falcon I've ruined them - including one by a player I know is better than me.

I also wonder about the Sheik matchup...it seems like it could be difficult for us, but I also do my best against Sheik when using D3. I was having trouble getting in with my secondary and pocket characters, D3 however I was at least able to take a match to sudden death. Though it could be that the person (same one using Falcon) just didn't know how to play my Dedede, since I had to resort to him to take care of his Fox and Falcon.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Pretty much every projectile user not named Fox. Rosalina and Samus are the worst by far, and even Mario is a good counter.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I also wonder about the Sheik matchup...it seems like it could be difficult for us, but I also do my best against Sheik when using D3.
Sheik has the hardest time killing us. She can rack up damage all she wants, but have very few options to effectively KO.

Plus, her needles don't reflect our gordos.

I honestly feel it's an even matchup.

BulacaFlocka

Smash Rookie
Sheik has the hardest time killing us. She can rack up damage all she wants, but have very few options to effectively KO.

Plus, her needles don't reflect our gordos.

I honestly feel it's an even matchup.
This is my experience with Shiek, also. There have been a few times a Shiek will get me up to 180%+ but can't land the kill move, and I'll get a K.O on her at ~80%.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Now that I think about it, Sheik was having a really hard time killing me- the one serious match I had online today against Sheik I took to sudden death, even though I was clearly on the losing end of the match. The only other Sheik I played, which was in person, I don't think was very familiar with Dedede at the time. I guess I just need to work on getting out of her moves and then try to kill her earlier.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
I just had a one sided match against a Lucario that kept beating me with all the characters I knew of including D3. He kept grabing me and spaming the side B and Neutral B. whenever I got in close combat range I'd own him but he imediately ran away or shield grab me. I just lost hope of defeating the lucario and quit.

I strugle against rosalina's and I lose more than I win against the really good ones. Gordo's only work once the Luma's out, But that dash attack and Fair of hers is a huge problem.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Now that I think about it, Sheik was having a really hard time killing me- the one serious match I had online today against Sheik I took to sudden death, even though I was clearly on the losing end of the match. The only other Sheik I played, which was in person, I don't think was very familiar with Dedede at the time. I guess I just need to work on getting out of her moves and then try to kill her earlier.
Yeah, when Sheik knows the matchup, I'm pretty sure it's brutal. Sheik can bait and combo D3 for days.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Yeah, when Sheik knows the matchup, I'm pretty sure it's brutal. Sheik can bait and combo D3 for days.
I honestly have a really hard time seeing the matchup being worse than -1. There's nothing she can do to kill us effectively.
We'll be eating fair combos up to 200% and still come back.

DHD, Zelda, and Sonic.
I dread the day I get to play a good Sonic. It has to be absolutely terrible.
Really makes me wonder how we win this.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I honestly have a really hard time seeing the matchup being worse than -1. There's nothing she can do to kill us effectively.
We'll be eating fair combos up to 200% and still come back.

I dread the day I get to play a good Sonic. It has to be absolutely terrible.
Really makes me wonder how we win this.
We can combo into Bouncing Fish, and our Fthrow leads into a fair and can kill at 160% I'm assuming. Our KOing issues aren't nearly as bad as Brawl's, though it's still down there.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
A fresh* fair doesn't kill Dedede near the ledge of FD at 165ish%. It's probably close though. That's also excluding vectoring.
Then again, considering how often Sheik uses fair in that matchup (and a lot of matchups, really), it will rarely be fresh for a kill.

At the very best, she'll outplay TripleD in her edgeguard and fair him enough to strip him of his jumps. Like in Brawl, gimping is pretty much her more reliable way to kill, and you can't do that consistently against DDD.

What exactly reliably combos out of Bouncing Fish for a kill?

Other than that, without a hard read, Sheik will kill DDD around 200%.

*It's not exactly fresh, as a true fresh move does 1.05x base damage in an actual game.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
So I actually battled a good Sonic user for once, and the match was hell. Remind me never to underestimate that character again.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
lIn tournament, I'll counter Duck Hunt and Samus by going Little Mac. Sonic I just get annoyed with in general, doesn't necessarily have to do with D3. And ZSS we already know.
I play a lot of Samus, and I don't think I've ever lost to a little Mac. I think you're better off picking someone that does good around edges, against her, because it's a typical Samus player's favorite spot to be. And I think we all know how easily Mac dies at the edge. :D

I'm wondering, who is actually the best "anti-keepaway" character? I have troubles keeping Peach out of my face with DHD and Samus, because she has that turnip and float, but when she does get close I still haven't seen a lot of impressive stuff from her. So, while it's hard to keep her out, when she's "in" she doesn't do a hell of a lot as far as I've seen.

So I actually battled a good Sonic user for once, and the match was hell. Remind me never to underestimate that character again.
Yeah, I'm still so used to his Brawl iteration I keep forgetting he's actually pretty good now. But it stops being as bad when you learn the timing to grab him out of his spindash (it's possible!), and get used to his insane speed in general. Though that's easier said than done. A lot of normally safe stuff is unsafe against a Sonic it feels.

Easily one of the most frustrating characters to play against for me, right up there with Robin. It's not that they give me a lot of consistent losses, they're just really annoying and gimmicky to play against.

Last edited:

Wingul

Smash Rookie
I've had the most trouble with Diddy so far. Banana / peanut camping, run -> shield destroyed by command grab, seems like he has guaranteed kill setups from throws at even 150%.

Rosa, Link, and Toon Link are pretty bad too.

fendguard

Smash Rookie
Long time lurker, had to make an account for some advice on the villager matchup...

What do you guys do against good villagers who camp the edge?

Also for the sonic matchup, I've found that we'll timed nairs will beat or trade with side b. Had a spammy sonic completely baffled on how to approach in FG.

Last edited:

Wingul

Smash Rookie
Long time lurker, had to make an account for some advice on the villager matchup...

What do you guys do against good villagers who camp the edge?

Also for the sonic matchup, I've found that we'll timed nairs will beat or trade with side b. Had a spammy sonic completely baffled on how to approach in FG.
There's really no way around it. A fulljump gordo can sometimes work, but besides that you just need to run -> shield and try to get a grab or something. D3 has quite a few matchups I feel are unwinnable.

DrewMoney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banditandrew
3DS FC
3540-0555-2542
Said many times but Samus for sure. Anytime I see one in a For Glory match I cringe. Most of my loss have been to her.

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
Villager's a winnable MU, you just can't give him any room to breathe. And his Rockets are beatable in the first so many frames. With the new ledge mechanics, no one can safely camp the ledge to infinity and beyond, so you can always do something. 60-40 at worst imo.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Link users are so obnoxious. Most of them are terrible, but the fact that they can alternate between three different projectiles makes the matchup more difficult than it should be.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Basically anything with projectile spam+For Glory only FD meta. Sucks that the Gordo not only loses to 5/6 of the game projectiles, but also backfires against you. It is so frustrating not being able to put those bad spammy players on their place.
But I think the worst match for Dedede is Sonic. Guess he has the experience fighting chubby villians in red outfits.

Top Bottom