• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Opinions on Patch 1.1.1?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's called disrespect, why else do you think his down taunt is a meteor smash in the first place?

Alot of people have used green missile as a ko move(even Boss has a very long time ago), and half of the dairs in the game have sweetspots.
Disrespect and usefulness are two completely different things, otherwise Warlock Punch would be the best move in the game and taunts would be invincible. Green Missile is as situational as it gets. The only way you're going to get a kill with that is if you're deliberately fishing for a Misfire.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
I don't know what I think about this patch. The shield stun increase is really interesting, and assuming it doesn't wreck the game I'm interested in seeing how the meta changes. From my brief time playing, the game didn't feel that different, besides a few times where I and my opponents got away with stuff I really doubt we could have before (I got away with F-smashing someone's shield as Falcon). Maybe I'm just not taking advantage of the extra stun cause I'm not used to it?

Pirate Ship is cool though, I loved that stage in Brawl, so much fun with friends.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Yea, I'm just more interested in the depth of choice offered by customs than by defaults. I'd rather we get the changes to customs before the defaults meta permanently cements itself into place. From my stance, it makes more sense to balance the normals around a character's full potential than just one of many possible setups.

But this isn't really the place to discuss that at large. I like the patch since it addressed something lacking in the meta I prefer. The shieldstun changes themselves will impact the relative strength of characters regardless which meta they're in, so ultimately my only disappointment is that we didn't get a new character this time around.
I'm still pretty annoyed, but I guess the roll nerfs and increased shield stun justify it. I don't think patching customs this early is the right time.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I'm sorry were you trying to punish my up air?

besides Ness growing stronger, this update was pretty lackluster.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Disrespect and usefulness are two completely different things, otherwise Warlock Punch would be the best move in the game and taunts would be invincible. Green Missile is as situational as it gets. The only way you're going to get a kill with that is if you're deliberately fishing for a Misfire.
It's still pretty usefull, whether it's used as a recovery or even a surprise ko move(that you don't have to fish for unless your a for glory player).

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Maybe so, but it was his only means of reliably KOing. Without anything to make up for it, there's just an empty hole where Luigi's KO power should be. It's things like this that make people complain that this game is too slow.

Diddy was bull**** because of a variety of reasons, not just the Hoo-Ha. Luigi's Hoo-Ha was escapable and it didn't kill as early as Diddy's. If it was really that bad, then they should've nerfed the Cyclone instead of the whole throw. Now instead of fishing for grabs, Luigi's gonna be spamming the C-Stick up every time he wants to kill someone, which is just as, if not more salt-inducing.
Luigis cyclone was only escapable at very low percents, anything over %60 highly unlikely. Even in competitive play. I remember Poyo beating Boss in Luigi dittos one game purely by being in rage and doing that combo to Boss 40%. Killed Boss twice. It was complete BS with Boss being a much grater player.

IMO that Luigi nerf was justifiable.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Luigis cyclone was only escapable at very low percents, anything over %60 highly unlikely. Even in competitive play. I remember Poyo beating Boss in Luigi dittos one game purely by being in rage and doing that combo to Boss 40%. Killed Boss twice. It was complete BS with Boss being a much grater player.

IMO that Luigi nerf was justifiable.
It's escapable at any percent, as long as your DI is pristine. As for the Poyo/Boss thing, that's Rage, not the Cyclone. If anything, Rage should be removed. Boom, instant quick-fix.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
I don't understand why people are saying this update is trash, this is just a small update compared to the one we will be getting after the ballot ends. Btw, is it even confirmed that we will be getting an update on that day, or is that just some people's assumptions? Because that's what I read here and there in random forums, but have not seen any confirmation. Besides, we got some back-roll and air-dodge nerfs which is awesome, we got custom balances which is cool, and finally Samus has a freakin usable NAir, bout damn time!! Sorry to the Luigi mains, I think it's also a tad unfair, but hopefully you guys will still be able to rock out some good stuff. Anywhoozles, y'all should just relax about this update; the big one will be coming soon enough :)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's still pretty usefull, whether it's used as a recovery or even a surprise ko move(that you don't have to fish for unless your a for glory player).
It has a 1 in 10 chance of misfiring. 10%. You definitely have to fish for it, unless you're carrying a horseshoe on you.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
It's escapable at any percent, as long as your DI is pristine. As for the Poyo/Boss thing, that's Rage, not the Cyclone. If anything, Rage should be removed. Boom, instant quick-fix.
Oh well, i guess Luigi mains will need to advance their meta a bit, there's plenty of characters who have hardly any kill moves compared to Luigi.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Oh well, i guess Luigi mains will need to advance their meta a bit, there's plenty of characters who have hardly any kill moves compared to Luigi.
Not really. The only characters with an honest, crippling lack of kill moves are Falco, Luigi and Jigglypuff. Everybody else has some other reliable method of killing. If not, they have something that makes up for it, like Lucario and Sheik.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It has a 1 in 10 chance of misfiring. 10%. You definitely have to fish for it, unless you're carrying a horseshoe on you.
Or you know, reading your opponent like a book

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Not really. The only characters with an honest, crippling lack of kill moves are Falco, Luigi and Jigglypuff. Everybody else has some other reliable method of killing. If not, they have something that makes up for it, like Lucario and Sheik.
But Luigi & Jiggly Puff have something a lot of characters don't, aerial mobility, Luigi also has one of the best combo games.

They can't be strong in everything. Hell, why don't they buff Macs recovery ten fold and give him projectiles?

You're just sounding a bit mad.

Still a complete ok nerf imo. Greninja lacks kill moves far more than Luigi. Luigis Cyclone still kills, you just need to adapt the set up to it.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Or you know, reading your opponent like a book
Unless you read the games coding, you won't be predicting a Misfire. You cannot predict or read a Misfire without doing 9 Green Missiles in a row and not getting one. There is an 11.11111...% chance of that happening. I did the math.
But Luigi & Jiggly Puff have something a lot of characters don't, aerial mobility, Luigi also has one of the best combo games.

They can't be strong in everything. Hell, why don't they buff Macs recovery ten fold and give him projectiles?

You're just sounding a bit mad.

Still a complete ok nerf imo. Greninja lacks kill moves far more than Luigi. Luigis Cyclone still kills, you just need to adapt the set up to it.
Luigi has aerial mobility? What? Luigi has one of the slowest air speeds in the game. It's been that way since 64. What game have you been playing these past few months? Honestly, now I'm starting to question if you even know what the hell you're talking about. Anyway, air mobility means ****-all if you can't do anything with it. That's why Jigglypuff is such a flawed character. And you're not hitting Cyclone on anybody who's not braindead in midair. If you mean reading air dodges, then neutral air is better for that anyway.

Last edited:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Some of the Kirby mains feel the patch hit him pretty hard due him relying on shields to get in through disjoints,speed and projectiles a lot.
Still we'll see how it goes. Probably isn't as awful as everyone might think since Kirby is still pretty good when he actually gets in.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Unless you read the games coding, you won't be predicting a Misfire. You cannot predict or read a Misfire without doing 9 Green Missiles in a row and not getting one. There is an 11.11111...% chance of that happening. I did the math.

Luigi has aerial mobility? What? Luigi has one of the slowest air speeds in the game. It's been that way since 64. What game have you been playing these past few months? Honestly, now I'm starting to question if you even know what the hell you're talking about. Anyway, air mobility means ****-all if you can't do anything with it. That's why Jigglypuff is such a flawed character. And you're not hitting Cyclone on anybody who's not braindead in midair. If you mean reading air dodges, then neutral air is better for that anyway.
#Luck

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
This is getting more and more pathetic as it goes on. Luck is not a factor in a serious match. RNG, yes, but I don't care who you are, you have no way of knowing when and where you'll get a misfire.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Has anybody else gotten a glitch with the viridi costume? I changed my Mabel Pines mii to the viridi costume on 3ds (get ready to be poked by the fun stick!), and then when I tried to use her in smash mode the game would freeze.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that she's also smallest height and heaviest weight. It made the sword huge in her default costume and it made the staff look incredibly awkward in her hands. Can anyone confirm?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This is getting more and more pathetic as it goes on. Luck is not a factor in a serious match. RNG, yes, but I don't care who you are, you have no way of knowing when and where you'll get a misfire.
Luck can be a factor, how else do you think ZeRo's been undefeated for so long in serious tournaments like EVO and Apex or how players trying to get better magically beat someone like Nairo or HBOX on thier first game with them?

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord

You don't have to predict a misfire. The Green Missile is in fact a chargeable attack, and when charged it does have kill power. You can force a foe offstage, read their recovery well in advance, and partially charge a Green Missile. You can also use a Green Missile as if you were going to end a combo by hoping for a misfire, but instead bait the airdodge by charging the move while falling right next to the opponent, releasing as their air dodge ends.

And while Luigi's air speed is legitimately terrible, it seems to me as though his air traction is among the best out there. He's able to quickly change direction or adjust his speed in the air.

Luck can be a factor, how else do you think ZeRo's been undefeated for so long in serious tournaments like EVO and Apex or how players trying to get better magically beat someone like Nairo or HBOX on thier first game with them?
That's partly luck, and most likely partly Nairo/HBox fighting an unfamiliar opponent and not yet knowing their patterns. Plus, comparatively new players occasionally make technically sub-optimal plays that can still take an advanced player by surprise.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You don't have to predict a misfire. The Green Missile is in fact a chargeable attack, and when charged it does have kill power. You can force a foe offstage, read their recovery well in advance, and partially charge a Green Missile. You can also use a Green Missile as if you were going to end a combo by hoping for a misfire, but instead bait the airdodge by charging the move while falling right next to the opponent, releasing as their air dodge ends.

And while Luigi's air speed is legitimately terrible, it seems to me as though his air traction is among the best out there. He's able to quickly change direction or adjust his speed in the air.

That's partly luck, and most likely partly Nairo/HBox fighting an unfamiliar opponent and not yet knowing their patterns. Plus, comparatively new players occasionally make technically sub-optimal plays that can still take an advanced player by surprise.
What if I told you...Shofu getting gimped by a Little Mac after a dair spike and then an extra rage quit?

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
This patch was pretty meh, there weren't many buffs/nerfs that were too important. It's been said already, but customs have pretty much become a non-factor ever since Evo ended. I don't know how I feel about the shields yet, I need to play more with it. So far I'm having a lot of trouble with the weaker shield when I use Falco, I'm starting to feel it hurts a lot of characters with poor mobility :/

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
What if I told you...Shofu getting gimped by a Little Mac after a dair spike and then an extra rage quit?
Yeah, that sounds like a combination of the two things I just said. Shofu probably got taken by surprise not expecting a "new" Little Mac to even try something like that and got styled on because of it. Then again, I've not seen it myself so… I dunno lol.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, that sounds like a combination of the two things I just said. Shofu probably got taken by surprise not expecting a "new" Little Mac to even try something like that and got styled on because of it. Then again, I've not seen it myself so… I dunno lol.
He actually expected i, but hoped he wouldn't dare to do it.

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I'm quite pleased with the changes. This patch helps remedy a lot of problems I can have with the game exclusively using Yoshi. I feel like every match-up went from being 45-55 to 50-50 and I'm happy with that. Remains to be seen.

As long as every other character's shield is nerfed, I don't mind the change because theirs was always more of a problem to me. This directly changes so much of offensive game from D-air to down-B reversals that make me look back on the hundred or so games I lost where I had perfectly executed a down-B reversal only to get power-shielded, blocked with a sliver of shield remaining rage-smashed for the loss.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet or download the patch, but I just like anyone else can see how greatly Yoshi's offensive capabilities are improved, so I can play in a way that is aggressive without feeling like I'm making stupid predictable mistakes all the time whenever I play against someone who is good at buffering shield during every action.

It'll be tough to unlearn those close call N-air OoS and JC U-smashes.

I only play Yoshi though, but it to me the shield nerf is a Yoshi buff. And he got another cute little ledge get up attack. It remains to be seen which character benefits the most from the change.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
The actual fighter changes I was initially upset about. It's been 2 months since the last patch, so I was expecting a large amount of changes similar to 1.1.0 and 1.0.8, yet virtually no normals were changed; they were mostly focused around customs and nerfing Luigi.

The shield stun buff is absolutely fantastic though and makes up for it. Ryu, Pikachu, Robin and Marth all became a whole lot more fun to me. I'm okay with a meta that relies less on shield, even if it does worsen some of the most fun fighters for me such as Ganondorf and Charizard. I hope it doesn't get reverted.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Have you seen the patch notes yet it says that some customs had been nerfed
http://smashboards.com/threads/magical-enigmatic-land-1-1-1-patch-notes.419067/
It says Kirby's hammer's sweetspot got adjusted in a way harder to hit.
And an unconfirmed nerf on Wario's worst custom, recorded as to directly contradict other patch note sources.
But dare we say, none of the customs that matter?

Have they looked at villager at all yet or is he really untouched?
Most people didn't even realize EBT got nerfed the same way Balloon Trip did, so even if he was directly nerfed I imagine people wouldn't notice it.

Petroklos

Smash Cadet
Samus got buffed. Shield, roll and airdodge nerfs are Samu's buffs.

Yea, I'm happy. If only there was a Shiek nerf in the mix as well.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

Pretty sure there's no such thing as air traction. As for Green Missile, if you're reading recoveries, than you can just as easily spike with down air and Cyclone, both of which have a definite chance of killing. And if an opponent air dodges near me, I'm going to FJP them, not GM.

Top Bottom