• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Opinions on Patch 1.1.1?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
ZSS has absolutely no reason to be touched, are you serious? She has great tools but is difficult to use and takes much skill to be great with, not to mention her primary combo and kill setup comes from a very high-risk/high-reward tether grab that if it whiffs, you're done for. Stop being salty already, what's done is done. It was a good move by them to nerf Luigi, so instead of being upset, why don't you learn better combos and kill setups with him? He's still a great character with good kill moves and still has a great combo game, so don't be too sad
I'm sorry, but you lost me at "difficult to use." Her combos are almost as, if not more, braindead than Luigi's are. Hell, she even got her own nickname, Zero Skill Spamus. Not even Luigi got it that bad.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lately, I'm hearing that the mechanic changes are going to make Rosalina even worse than before. While it's too soon to be certain about this, it's still something to be very weary about in the long run.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Want to know what the problem with Samus is though? She's got a ton of tools in her arsenal, her charge shot can jab lock and it can kill. She can break shields with it too if she catches you. She can camp pretty well even without an endlag buff to her missiles. She has one of the best recovery games and that can't be argued with because she has good air speed, a stalling move in her down-b, a tether, and a decent enough standard recovery. It's probably why she is such crap to begin with, because they didn't know what in the hell to do with her, and she has way more than I mentioned, but now you look at Link and begin to notice that he isn't top tier and pretty much has the same or similar tools, and he sits around high tier now. I just want to see her moves get fixed up and her missiles get an endlag reduction with a speed reduction, the fact they sped it up was a nerf imo.
Link is no where near high tier. A lot of people barely think of him as even middle tier.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Laughable mobility, combo food, and embarrassing frame data.
Several high-damage aerials with low landing lag, a ZAir, great projectiles, and kill setups using some of those projectiles. Also a pretty decent walk speed and the ability to completely nullify many projectiles while walking or standing idle. Also a Dash Attack that's pretty decent for punishing rolls and has great KO power. That said, yes, the rest of his frame data sucks. Especially that jab.

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
The new two stages are obviously
PARTY/CASUAL oriented
gg nintendo

Anywho, the patch was meh. Customs were patched (which is great) and the costumes are odd. (fox and falcon???)
A reminder that Sakurai gives zero fox about the competitive circles.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
I'm not a big fan of it because my shield breaks too often when I'm trying to punish Smash attack spammers. I use to never lose to people because I knew how to punish them by shielding their mistakes but now I'm the one being punished for it.

I would be fine with it if we had better movement options like in Melee but we don't so its harder now to punish spammers. I was never bothered by spammers before because I knew how to punish them easily. Now they just break my shield.

Last edited:

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
I'm not a big fan of it because my shield breaks too often when I'm trying to punish Smash attack spammers. I use to never lose to people because I knew how to punish them by shielding their mistakes but now I'm the one being punished for it.

I would be fine with it if we had better movement options like in Melee but we don't so its harder now to punish spammers. I was never bothered by spammers before because I knew how to punish them easily. Now they just break my shield.
Sounds like you need to learn to stand outside of attack range and punish the recovery.

Smash attacks shouldn't be punishable on shield when properly spaced.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should point out that because of the new shield mechanics, that can end up making Master Core even more difficult to defeat at Classic mode's higher intensity levels (especially intensity 9.0). If Master Beast can destroy your shield with just its bite attack, you're pretty much screwed against its next attack, no matter which character you're using.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I should point out that because of the new shield mechanics, that can end up making Master Core even more difficult to defeat at Classic mode's higher intensity levels (especially intensity 9.0). If Master Beast can destroy your shield with just its bite attack, you're pretty much screwed against its next attack, no matter which character you're using.
I don't think the extra shieldstun makes a difference outside of Master Shadow. (Who's dead as long as you spam Utilts that actually work as Utilts, dudes like a level five CPU tops.) Even Master Beast can't throw out attacks quick enough to lock you in shield, and the game holding you in shieldstun doesn't deplete your shield.

Most of it's attacks are ment to be dodged rather then blocked anyway. Even with the invincibility nerfs on dodges it's still easy since the attacks are so quick.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Feelin' pretty meh about the update. Duck Hunt for 3DS was cool, but the numerous problems within various characters being ignored in favor of tuning up the mechanics in the background makes me feel put out.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm okay with it. It's brave (if you will) of Sakurai to change the game so radically barely a year into its existence, but I'm optimistic it will make things more interesting for everybody.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I'm kinda so-so. I'm happy that Luigi's down throw getting nerfed makes it so he has to get more creative for kills, but my shield's getting broken a bit more and some things are just harder to punish now because of the increased shieldstun.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
I think it's good for the game, even though they're doing it quickly it's good that they recognize broken combos and abusive mechanics, and even just alter tiny changes to make the game better.
I'm kinda so-so. I'm happy that Luigi's down throw getting nerfed makes it so he has to get more creative for kills, but my shield's getting broken a bit more and some things are just harder to punish now because of the increased shieldstun.
Yeah the Luigi nerf was definitely appreciated across the board, even with good Luigi players, now they won't feel bad for winning with broken combos. The shield stun alteration I'm glad about, it will just take some getting used to of course, but I think it will change the game to be more rewarding for playing aggressive. Same with the roll nerf, super glad about that, as minor as it may be. I'm still curious when the next patch will be out, the ballot has ended and I wanna know who's in!!

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
My main issue with this patch is that while Sakurai made a wise decision in adding more hitstun, he goofed up in thinking that simply doing that alone would make the game automatically better. Especially when now due to this the "top" tier characters simply get even safer due to having less room for error. Case in point both pikachu and ZSS mains love this patch as now their moves are even safer on shield than they were previously while projectile based characters such as mega man are indirectly nerfed because of the way the new shield stun mechanics make projectiles such as his deal little to no shield lag.

Imo if Sakurai wanted to make this type of system change he should have at least somewhat tried to adjust the cool down frames or damage or something to the whole cast to better take advantage of this change. It also doesn't help that this huge mechanical change goes undocumented with the rest of the changes we get every update. On top of the huge bug that's taken place with diddy (which is most likely a bye product of either the new shields or editing diddy kongs data files in someway they weren't suppose to).

Im hoping next time we get some much needed adjustments to the cast so that more characters can take advantage of the fact that now block strings are a possibility, because as it stands now only really the upper tier characters really benefited from what we got.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
My main issue with this patch is that while Sakurai made a wise decision in adding more hitstun, he goofed up in thinking that simply doing that alone would make the game automatically better. Especially when now due to this the "top" tier characters simply get even safer due to having less room for error. Case in point both pikachu and ZSS mains love this patch as now their moves are even safer on shield than they were previously while projectile based characters such as mega man are indirectly nerfed because of the way the new shield stun mechanics make projectiles such as his deal little to no shield lag.

Imo if Sakurai wanted to make this type of system change he should have at least somewhat tried to adjust the cool down frames or damage or something to the whole cast to better take advantage of this change. It also doesn't help that this huge mechanical change goes undocumented with the rest of the changes we get every update. On top of the huge bug that's taken place with diddy (which is most likely a bye product of either the new shields or editing diddy kongs data files in someway they weren't suppose to).

Im hoping next time we get some much needed adjustments to the cast so that more characters can take advantage of the fact that now block strings are a possibility, because as it stands now only really the upper tier characters really benefited from what we got.
I've been hearing a theory that they're going to release the ballot character and a patch to go with it soon... Don't believe it myself, but the idea that this could be temporary or a "shoot first, ask questions later" situation makes sense.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
This patch was sorely needed. Expect more balance changes as information comes in, everyone got used to the safe, slow, clunky style of OP shields.

Of course going from pretty much zero shield stun ---> too much shield stun is gonna feel pretty ****ty. Hopefully after more tweaking and balancing the game's speed will go up a bit. 2 stock matches are Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
It just needs a retributional patch, really dumb mistake on the dev teams part to put that in and only edit customs. At this point they should also call for more hit-stun and make DI more effective if that is even possible. But yeah doing that pretty much makes some of the things done in previous patches seem pointless, or at least a bit anyways.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Sounds like you need to learn to stand outside of attack range and punish the recovery.

Smash attacks shouldn't be punishable on shield when properly spaced.
Maybe you are right but I don't think people should be rewarded for throwing out random attacks with the limited movement options this game has compared to Melee. Just my opinion, but i'll adapt.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Not all top ranked characters are affected positively by the shield mechanic changes though. Some people mentioned that the new shield mechanics made Rosalina worse, which is quite ironic when you consider that she's not the character who needs nerfing.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not all top ranked characters are affected positively by the shield mechanic changes though. Some people mentioned that the new shield mechanics made Rosalina worse, which is quite ironic when you consider that she's not the character who needs nerfing.
I think Thinkaman put it best... Everybody above the middle should be thankful they're not getting nerfs. As long as they're not creating a giant gap at least, the dev team should be aiming to cram everybody into mid tier.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Bowser is pretty ****ing insane in this patch tbh, took me a while to adjust to how good he got with the shield mechanics.

Gamesfreak13563

Smash Cadet
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
I actually happen to have a video of a Classic 9.0 run after the patch dropped. I don't know if I shield much, but you can take a look yourself. The threat actually comes more from the swords, and their annoying orbs. Some of the mobs in Master Fortress are also more annoying to block (the lazer guys in particular)

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Well, yes I was being sarcastic. (The 1's+Q's should've tipped you off)

I'm just pointing out the rather knee-jerk responses that most people have. Most people don't even bother playing, exploring possibilities, or practice. They just regurgitate salty johns.

naught66

Smash Rookie
Was pretty happy with it. Shields getting nerfed was great, and Luigi doesn't feel so stupid now. They shouldn't have nerfed Marth/Lucina's shiedbreakers, though. So dumb.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Was pretty happy with it. Shields getting nerfed was great, and Luigi doesn't feel so stupid now. They shouldn't have nerfed Marth/Lucina's shiedbreakers, though. So dumb.
Yeah it isn't something that can unexpected like bowser bomb and yoshi bomb, and that's the only reliable shield breaking move we have, which isn't even reliable anymore because it comes out on frame 19 and doesn't do nearly enough shield damage to break with one extra hit from some other move. Keep in mind DK's was justified because he has more than one shield breaking tool and the one that got nerfed has an extra property to it.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Well, yes I was being sarcastic. (The 1's+Q's should've tipped you off)

I'm just pointing out the rather knee-jerk responses that most people have. Most people don't even bother playing, exploring possibilities, or practice. They just regurgitate salty johns.
My point exactly

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Maybe you are right but I don't think people should be rewarded for throwing out random attacks with the limited movement options this game has compared to Melee. Just my opinion, but i'll adapt.
Whether they get rewarded for throwing out a random attack is something you decide by how you react to it. ;-)

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Whether they get rewarded for throwing out a random attack is something you decide by how you react to it. ;-)
Yeah by shielding. I would dash dance away but this game doesn't allow that. Having weak Melee shields in a game that doesn't at all play like Melee. Oh well, maybe next patch we will get dash dancing at least then.

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
I was hyped about the shield stun. The Luigi nerf was horrible. I talked to my friends about it for hours

Top Bottom