• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Favorite Part of Playing Newer Players

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I'm sure there have been times when you sat down to play someone who was very inexperienced with the smash franchise. Since Melee has a much higher disparity in skill than any other smash game (Project M notwithstanding), I figured I'd ask this question here. What's your favorite part of playing inexperienced players? Do you enjoy kicking the crap out of them? Showing off your tech skill? Throw them right into technical training? Teach them about the different characters? Personally, I don't like to teach people anything unless they ask, so I just throw them into a match and explain to them why they can't hit me along the way (because they're bound to get frustrated).

Massive

Smash Champion
I usually go ahead and beat them with every character.

It's pretty funny. It also shows them that differences in skill can overcome tier/matchup differences.

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
My state's scene is going through a bit of a boom, and there are new players everywhere. I love it, I think it's important that they get stomped by people, but also that they enjoy every set they play, at least enough to motivate them to get better :)

The Prince L

Smash Apprentice
Like aiera, I love seeing them improve, and teaching them things about all of the characters.

Most of the time, I'm picking low tier characters to see what they can do. Then, I'm picking my best characters.

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
Like aiera, I love seeing them improve, and teaching them things about all of the characters.

Most of the time, I'm picking low tier characters to see what they can do. Then, I'm picking my best characters.
Yeah, I like this. It's a process. Give them space, let them show you what they can do, then show them what you can do and that gap usually is enough to motivate new players, I love it :)

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Can I ask, as a new player. Are there any specific tournaments to shoot for as a new person? Like, what mechanics should we a hundred percent have down before we go to a tournament. What are some strategies to go shoot for as a new player, and such. Any strategies are welcome.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I try to ditto new players since I think that is the easiest way to learn. If they see me using moves they don't use or edgeguarding a certain way, that is all immediately applicable and they can try it out themselves. If I'm just spazzing out on them as Falco, they're not really gonna learn anything. They can't even really practice DIing because I will just get the followup anyway so they end up having no idea if they did the wrong DI/tech or if there was just not much they could do.

Can I ask, as a new player. Are there any specific tournaments to shoot for as a new person? Like, what mechanics should we a hundred percent have down before we go to a tournament. What are some strategies to go shoot for as a new player, and such. Any strategies are welcome.
1. You can go to a tournament with no mechanics whatsoever and have a good time. A lot of players try to make sure they are "ready" for their first tournament, but you just won't be so practice what you can at home and go to a tourney asap.
2. Watch videos for strategies.

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
Hey awesome question man.

So I'm relatively new also, and to be fair, nothing anyone here can say or do will make you any more prepared. You just have to force yourself to go. You should clear yourself of feeling as if you needed to impress someone or that you need to make a name for yourself. Always leave your pride at home, go with an honest intent of learning, growing, and becoming a better player, then go back home and practice for hundreds of hours. Then force yourself out to another event, and repeat the process. Suddenly you're taking games off people you lost to before, even more suddenly whole sets :) Good luck with everything and do your best!

_A1

Smash Apprentice
I don't like playing super new players because they don't understand what I'm doing. By this I mean the advanced techs and the mental part also. When I do something stylish and get hype, they're just confused and asking me what happened.

The best part for me is when they decide on their main.

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
This kid at school talked all this **** about how he'll whoop me and all that, so, I asked him to come over to play.I 3 stocked him every round even with his own characters and I took joy in every bit of destroying him.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
When they decide to stop maining Link/Roy/Yoshi/Kirby/whatever, and decide on anything in the top 11 S tier (or Samus, Luigi, or Doc).

Last edited:

donpedrox

Smash Rookie
NNID
DonPedrox
Not exactly on topic but my favorite part as a new player playing a more experienced player is the progress I can feel myself making. For example I'll get 4 stock'd and barely get any % next match I get a stock and refine my spacing and mind games. It's pretty awesome and I wish I had more time to do it more often.

Magical Samurai

Smash Cadet
The only skill you should have going into a tournament is knowing how to accept that you're going to lose (a lot) and understanding that you should treat everything as a learning experience. As long as you're friendly most people are perfectly willing to sit and help you develop. Part of this is being a little outgoing as well, don't be afraid to announce yourself as new and ask if you can jump in and play some games.
The best new players are the ones that are willing to learn and who don't get upset or discouraged when they get beaten repeatedly for hours.

AirFair

Marth tho
Yeah, getting salty is really bad for you. Even getting straight up knocked out in the first 2 matches is ok. I've only won one set so far in the 2 tournaments I've gone to. The friendlies and the advice I get from better players make up for that by so much.

Magical Samurai

Smash Cadet
Yeah, getting salty is really bad for you. Even getting straight up knocked out in the first 2 matches is ok. I've only won one set so far in the 2 tournaments I've gone to. The friendlies and the advice I get from better players make up for that by so much.
I went to my first tournament and won a single game in pools; I actually forgot I had won it when we were going to game three and was already reaching to unplug my controller.
That being said, I got a ton of games in during pools and a couple of hours worth of friendlies in as well. It really helped me to become more comfortable with the speed of the game and provided me with a great starting point for learning the game's technique.

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Yea, one of the qualities I think I can say with confidence about myself is I don't get salty when losing. I set low expectations for myself when I start out so I'm always pleasantly surprised when I do okay. Where can we get information on local tournaments and how they usually work? How does the down time work in between matches? Are their warm up stations or whatever? Is their a standard for most tournaments to go by, or does it just depend on the tournament?

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
The only skill you should have going into a tournament is knowing how to accept that you're going to lose (a lot) and understanding that you should treat everything as a learning experience. As long as you're friendly most people are perfectly willing to sit and help you develop. Part of this is being a little outgoing as well, don't be afraid to announce yourself as new and ask if you can jump in and play some games.
The best new players are the ones that are willing to learn and who don't get upset or discouraged when they get beaten repeatedly for hours.
Yo, really well put man. It's not just that you lose, but that you understand why you lost. Dig within yourself and converse with the people besting you, and it will unravel bit by bit. But that's only if you translate what you should be doing out of what you shouldn't be.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Almost every time I sit down with a casual player and pick Puff they get confused and say things along the lines of "What? Jigglypuff is horrible!" then proceed to pick (insert stereotypical casual character here) and get whooped.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
It's funny when they pick Kirby thinking he's like the best character or something.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
There have been at least six people I've played with in the past semester of school that either picked Roy/Ike because "he has a sword and fire". I found it funny that that many people had the same reason for picking a starter. I think my favorite part of playing newer players is watching them evolve between the different characters that they pick, and finding a main to stick with and love.

bamv9

Smash Rookie
I play like every other friendly, just messing around having fun. lol

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
The best part is when you 4 stock them only using rest and they immediately switch to jigglypuff because they want to know how you did that.

Magical Samurai

Smash Cadet
Yo, really well put man. It's not just that you lose, but that you understand why you lost. Dig within yourself and converse with the people besting you, and it will unravel bit by bit. But that's only if you translate what you should be doing out of what you shouldn't be.
Sure. Part of learning from your loses come with asking your opponent questions too.

If you keep dying when you try to recover, maybe your opponent could give you some tips on how better to do so or some insight as to how they're keeping you from recovering.

If you keep getting hit after you dash attack (or whatever) maybe they have some other options you could practice or might be able to help you realize what isn't working.

A lot of players will just throw out words and terminology when you ask them for advice and a lot of it will be stuff you don't understand (or shouldn't be worrying about yet). It's hard to put yourself into a teaching role, so you'll find that people generally have a hard time translating information into something comprehensible. Pick up what you can though and start with what you think you can handle.

I saw a new player a couple months ago ask what he should work on in his game. Some guy was trying to glorify DI and Wavedashing as the holy grails of Smash without realizing that this player needed a fundamental understanding of movement and spacing before any of that would be relevant. They needed to get comfortable with the physics of melee first.

If there's anything I could say to a new player it'd be to play as much as you can.. and when you play to try to be aware of what's happening at all times. Learning how far your moves reach and getting an understanding of what your attacks do (how they hit the opponent, how long they last, etc) is a great way to start, and from there you can start to look at your opponent's position and their capabilities. Only after that can you really start to understand spacing; the relative distances between you and your opponent. And only after a rudimentary understanding of that can you start to see the reasoning behind dash dancing, wavedashing, platforms, etc. With any luck this'll be the information you need to understand why you were getting hit after every dash attack and why your recoveries weren't quite working.

If you go into a room with the right mindset you'll notice dramatic improvement on whatever you choose to focus on. There's so much to learn that it'll be hard not to take something away while you're getting started.

It's not to discredit the people that will tell you to sit and grind tech skill, but there's a time and place for that. Melee is (imo) more fun with other people and you can pick up at least the bare basics in games.

EDIT:

Where can we get information on local tournaments and how they usually work? How does the down time work in between matches? Are their warm up stations or whatever? Is their a standard for most tournaments to go by, or does it just depend on the tournament?
Seems most of this has moved to Facebook groups. Check here to see if there's a group listed in your area.
If there's not one exactly where you're located, try joining one relatively close and maybe they'll have some information about people close to you (may have to ask).

Last edited:

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Seems most of this has moved to Facebook groups. Check here to see if there's a group listed in your area.If there's not one exactly where you're located, try joining one relatively close and maybe they'll have some information about people close to you (may have to ask).
Don't have a Facebook so I can't view the page. -.-

AirFair

Marth tho
I think it's fun to just switch around characters playing against newer players too. Just played some Doc dittos with one lol.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Helping them discover how great smash is and hopefully getting them to appreciate it, and if they're an inexperienced aspiring comp player, helping them improve and grow.

I don't really enjoy rubbing it in a noob's face because I think that's just kinda mean.

Rubbing it in my scrubby ex bfs' faces though, that was golden.

straydoggywog

Smash Cadet
Crushing egos and takin money. The evilness of it all is only offset by the fact that I like to teach them things afterward.

This happened at campus, a kid wanted to money match people. I was passing by and I accepted it and quick 3-0'd him. After ward he declared me to be his nemesis and he's been training ever since. I want him to get better than me and defeat me and I don't want it to be easy. So the best part? Knowing I've sparked someone's desire to improve.

Top Bottom