• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

Laijin

Smash Hero
For the ledge hog? You just run to the edge and up-b. You can turn him around and lets him grab the ledge instantly. Auto grabs on Yoshi Story, other stages you need to have spacing when you up-b on the ledge

Griffard

Smash Ace
Only one set?? Lots of sexy stuff, the first kill in game 1 was pretty hype, your recoveries are off the chain [ ;) ] and your DI is absolutely ridiculous. Good **** Axe, I always love watching your yL.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
oooo...

grapple, wall jump, bomb pull, turn around bomb throw to grab the ledge... stealing it!!!

dude axe, really really really good ground game. i can see the falco and pikachu in you, the way you space aerials againts shields lol

AXE 09

Smash Master
ah thank you so much you guys!

i'll probably play more yl this weekend. we're having another big az tourney lol

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
So what inputs do you guys use in regards to jumping? Solid x or y or control stick for everything? Some kind of mix?

I've got a mix. I use control stick for normal jumping, or full jumps, or any mid-air jump. I use x for short hops, shffls, ledge-hops, and jumping OOS. I used Y for bomb-regrab (on ledge.)

Anyone got thoughts as to what's most efficient, jumping wise?

AXE 09

Smash Master
Here's some more Young Link action! :)
Unfortunately it's pretty choppy, so it's hard to see =(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzfr9iepFgQ

But here's the coolest parts I think:

-The first kill (1:10)

-The last kill of the 2nd match was ok. Just a decent combo into a fire spike (6:55)

-And the PS recovery. I never though I'd get the chance to use that in tournament, but it just so happened that this was the perfect opportunity for it lol (8:23)

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
I need help jumping from the ledge, pulling out a bomb and grabbing the ledge again. I can only do it sometimes, not consistently. Any advice?

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I need help jumping from the ledge, pulling out a bomb and grabbing the ledge again. I can only do it sometimes, not consistently. Any advice?
When I do it, my right hand control to claw, and go for a plink (if you play Street Fighter IV) between y and b.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it's just a very strict timing. took me quite a few tries and i still have a hard time with it (cuz i dont practice YL that much)

just practice

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i use Y and A

i can't move my finger from Y to the c-stick fast enough

i could use the bottom part of my thumb near my wrist to c-stick which i do sometimes with falco (for fast shine bairs) but it wouldn't feel right

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to put together a tech trials video for young link to get more people interested in playing him, and I'm looking to compile a list of young link techs, so If you fellow young links could help me out it would be much appreciated, If you want to make a suggestion please provide a name for the tech, a description of how to do it, and what versions of the game it works on, for more information visit this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/young-link-tech-trials.349398/ . Thanks!

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
i just feel like with marth, if he gets through my projectile wall, he almost always kills me, and he seems harder to kill than with other match ups, and when he gets me off the stage I have no way of coming back, even after i grab ledge. With sheik she just has so many guarenteed followups, and can edguard so efficently. I just feel like i have no offensive options against them

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
Yah, I guess it's the life we choose to live as Young Link mains, but we need to work so much harder for a kill than other characters, with Marth we need ******* thirty bombs and 16 attacks and a good edge guard, and all the needs is a bull **** f smash or fair near the edge

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I main Falco and Peach. I am not having troubles with any Jigglypuff's but I want to be prepared when I do face a good one. Is investing my time in Young Link a good idea to play against Jiggs/Peach? I enjoy the character so... having fun is not the issue, I would just like to have a good investment than just wasting my time with a secondary.

Last edited:

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Another thing, how does Young Link have such a bad matchup with Mario? That doesn't make too much sense to me.

Last edited:

AXE 09

Smash Master
I personally prefer using YL for Peach/Puff rather than Falco (there's just more room for error, whereas with Falco you mess up once and you die).

Mario can cape all your projectiles, and his Dthrow alone is very devastating for YL. There's not much you have against him.

By the way guys, what do you ban against Peach/Puff???

Top Bottom