• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

AXE 09

Smash Master
Thank you so much!
All I do is soft trow the boomering forward and slightly downwards, followed by an airdodge hookshot upwards, then immediately start drifting forward so you'll catch the boomering.
Awesomeness :)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
So I've been testing it out, but no matter what timing I try, the boomerang angle just doesn't want to cooperate so even though I'm landing on it, I'm not catching the boomerang out of hookshot. Also, when do you use your double jump in this sequence?

AXE 09

Smash Master
So I've been testing it out, but no matter what timing I try, the boomerang angle just doesn't want to cooperate so even though I'm landing on it, I'm not catching the boomerang out of hookshot. Also, when do you use your double jump in this sequence?
Are you using Version 1.0/1.1?

You have the option to save your double jump during this, it's just more difficult when you have your double jump because you have to airdodge jupwards without using it (which can be done either by "buffering" Up during the lag of your boomerang throw, or tilting upwards rather than pressing it all the way. I like to tilt the control stick upwards then airdodge).

Make sure that you're already drifting forward as fast as you can go before you throw the boomerang. If you don't start drifting forward before you throw it (so you basically have no horizontal momentum before you throw the boomerang) then it won't work.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Why do you save your jump? Can't you double jump and then throw the boomerang?

I don't think I'm using version 1.0/1.1. My copy of Melee has the "best seller" icon on it.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
sounds like you're using 1.02 then. check the back of your disc and you'll see DOL-GALE-0-00, 01, or 02. 00 is 1.0, 01 is 1.1, and 02 is 1.2. YL can do this trick in 1.0/1.1

AXE 09

Smash Master
^Are you sure you're reading the right place in the back of your disc? It's hard to see, but it should say either:

DOL-GALE-0-00 (which means you have version 1.0)
DOL-GALE-0-01 (Version 1.1)
Or DOL-GALE-0-02 (Version 1.2)

If you have version 1.2, then this trick doesn't work. But it works for the other 2 versions.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Jeff, why didn't you go YL in the last game? Fly didn't seem to be able to get around your projectiles.
I hope you didn't let the crowd sway you. I have little to no respect left for Cali after the way the crowd treated you, HMW was bad enough commentating on the Armada/Hbox set. And I hope Mango burns all his money on alcohol and winds up on the street, he already has the hobo beard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9phStuj16g

AXE 09

Smash Master
The crowd was so powerful :'(
I've never been cheered against so hard before. It honestly made me really depressed...

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
there's a few reasons i can think of...cali hates on az jank really hard, and many people see cp'ing with non-main characters as a sign of disrespect
although most likely cali just want to see axe's pikachu lose :p

axe, i know you usually get cheered for since you're a crowd favorite, but you shouldnt feel concerned about a crowd that's supporting the other side to begin with
maybe use headphones next time lol

Armada

Smash Lord
The crowd was so powerful :'(
I've never been cheered against so hard before. It honestly made me really depressed...
I know it can be hard but try to ignore the crowd.
You are not playing for them, you play because you really like this game and that's what matters.

Play the char you feel for playing and that's about it. The fact that the crowd cheer for the other person or cheer against you (haven't seen this set but still) does not mean you are a worse person or anything like that. Haters will keep hating and that's not so much to do against that.

Maybe using a headset can be good for you if you feel it's to hard to block the crowd out. I do hope you from now on will be able to stick to the char you wanna play etc.
One thing to also remember. Once people know you have a strong enough mental game they will stop telling you what char you should play ;)

AXE 09

Smash Master
Messing around with Young Link a little bit.

I learned that you can very slightly aid his recovery by pulling a bomb, and then doing an aerial glide toss forward (airdodge forward, then interrupt your air dodge with a bomb throw)

If you're recovering from high and you can do 2 of these, you can help your recovery by about a full character length.

You have to throw your bomb pretty soon after your air dodge starts, but the later you interrupt it with your bomb throw, the greater the distance you gain. It's definitely not much help at all, but maybe it could save your life in specific situations (especially when playing on 1.2/PAL)

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
agt in melee barely sends you anywhere but yeah its doable

i thought about doing this with peach once but then its like lol peach doesn't need help recovering agt's not even going to do anything

AXE 09

Smash Master
You can also do regular glide tosses (is that what they're called? Where you cancel a roll with a bomb throw (or any item for that matter (lol parenthesis))) in Melee, it's just that it doesn't really send you that far. I always notice it hardcore though whenever I try to throw an item forward OOS with Marth using forward + A lol.

But who cares about Marth. YL is amazing

PiGuy

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the vids Axe! I'm fairly new to competitive smash but have picked up Y Link and am trying to copy your aggressive style.

Do you only play Y Link against Peach, ICs, (and Puff) and go Pika everywhere else? I'd love to see how your style with Y Link handles Spacies and Sheik.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Thanks for the vids Axe! I'm fairly new to competitive smash but have picked up Y Link and am trying to copy your aggressive style.

Do you only play Y Link against Peach, ICs, (and Puff) and go Pika everywhere else? I'd love to see how your style with Y Link handles Spacies and Sheik.
Thank you :) Well against Puff/Peach specifically (and IC's), I like to go YL, but I feel that my Pikachu does better in every other matchup. Although I do love Playing YL in pretty much every matchup in friendlies lol. He's too fun.

I definitely wouldn't recommend using my style of YL lol. I love playing like this because I have more fun this way, and I suck at playing defensively and just plain don't want to. Whenever I try to, I always do worse. It might be just because I've played such an aggressive style throughout my smash career, so that's what I've become the most comfortable doing.

If anything, I think the "best" style would be a good balance between being aggressive and defensive. So you don't need to be 100% camp all day, and you also don't need to be in your opponent's face 24/7. I think it just depends on your playstyle, and what you find yourself to be the most successful doing.

I think if Armada and I could fuse YL playstyles, we would be perfect lol

Armada

Smash Lord
I have to agree with Axe there. I do think I played to much deffensive when I look back at my matches vs Hbox. In situation if Hbox had a smaller shield (for example) would be a good time for me trying to play more aggresive I think.

But I played Y link in the way that I felt was giving me the best results.

Axe: I expect you to stick with Y link at EVO if you feel that's the right char to play =)

PiGuy

Smash Rookie
Top Bottom