• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You Laugh You Lose: Gentlemen's Club Edition

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice

Winnar

Smash Lord
Dissolvable is poor English. It may be a word, but it's better to say soluble.

Ex. "Sugar is soluble in water." is better than "Sugar is dissolvable in water."
Says who?

I'm in Organic Chemistry 2 and I've roomed with a chemistry/physics double major. I've never heard anyone have a problem with dissolvable before until now.

Just because two words mean exactly the same thing doesn't mean that one's bad.

i.e. Flammable, inflammable

PS

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Dissolvable is poor English. It may be a word, but it's better to say soluble.

Ex. "Sugar is soluble in water." is better than "Sugar is dissolvable in water."
This. It's English in the sense "drinkable" is English. As in, you'll only say it if you don't know potable is the pre-existing go-to word. It only works out, because it's easy to parse based on common knowledge of English morphology.

Either way, to someone who knows the word, "soluble," it just makes you look like you don't know how to use a thesaurus.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
This, on the other hand, is a prefectly grammatical English sentence.

Although I prefer the syntactically correct, but semantically nonsensical, "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."

Winnar

Smash Lord
This. It's English in the sense "drinkable" is English. As in, you'll only say it if you don't know potable is the pre-existing go-to word. It only works out, because it's easy to parse based on common knowledge of English morphology.

Either way, to someone who knows the word, "soluble," it just makes you look like you don't know how to use a thesaurus.

Although I prefer the syntactically correct, but semantically nonsensical, "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."
Or maybe you'd say "drinkable" because it doesn't make you sound obnoxious.

just maybe

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542

IMO it just makes you look annoying if you try to correct everyone.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
By the way, dissolvable is perfectly fine English. As was mentioned, the mere fact that a word has a synonym does not mean that one of them is "better English". There are cases, such as when attempting to avoid repetition in an essay for stylistic purposes, that dissolvable would be PREFERABLE to soluable.

The same goes for "drinkable". Perfectly fine word. I think you're just giving lessons on how to be pedantic more than how to use good English.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
in chemistry, to my understanding, salts, ions, and compounds are never really considered as dissolvable in solution. its always whether they are soluble.

however, when it comes to sperm being in water pipes, i think either word is fine. but the subject itself is just a big troll by phoot probably, so i don't really care.

i wish i had a picture to post though. i'd like to have something funny. cause this thread gives me happy times.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace

Yup. If a native speaker can understand it, then it is for all intents and purposes, an English word. As long as the lexical entry does not provide confusion and especially if one can immediately glean its meaning, then it may as well be a word. It might not show up in the dictionary, but it speaks to the productivity of the English language.

On a related note: with respects to the new Xbox Kinect

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Can I just ask that it be a rule to not use pictures when you're quoting someone? I hate having to scroll through the same pictures that I kinda laughed at inside when one person feels like quoting the giant list again.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Can I just ask that it be a rule to not use pictures when you're quoting someone? I hate having to scroll through the same pictures that I kinda laughed at inside when one person feels like quoting the giant list again.
Yes, please!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
By the way, dissolvable is perfectly fine English. As was mentioned, the mere fact that a word has a synonym does not mean that one of them is "better English". There are cases, such as when attempting to avoid repetition in an essay for stylistic purposes, that dissolvable would be PREFERABLE to soluable.

The same goes for "drinkable". Perfectly fine word. I think you're just giving lessons on how to be pedantic more than how to use good English.
It's not bad English, but I'll be ****ed if it doesn't sound awkward to me.

How's that for not pedantic?

Top Bottom