• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Yes, but they didn't sell well, which is what you're arguing about Chrom
Awakening is the game people have been talking about. Its "hot". Sales are not THE reason why something is popular, its simply something objective and factual that I can cite. Among FE fans, FE9/FE10 was the hot game during brawl. Stop trying to alter my argument simply so you can point out the flaws you made up.
(that Awakening being successful means that Chrom is inevitable somehow)
Don't stuff words in my mouth. I never said that.

But you still felt the need to make up a hypothetical situation to use as evidence.
Its a thought experiment.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Awakening is the game people have been talking about. Its "hot". Sales are not THE reason why something is popular, its simply something objective and factual that I can cite. Among FE fans, FE9/FE10 was the hot game during brawl. Stop trying to alter my argument simply so you can point out the flaws you made up.
I didn't make up anything. The sales "argument" goes something like this: Awakening sold really well for an FE game/saved the franchise or whatever, therefore Chrom(or any Awakening character of your choice) is likely.

However, Ike made it in to Brawl despite his game selling poorly, which shows that Sakurai doesn't care all that much about sales.

Based on your post it seems like you've moved to defending the recency/relevancy "argument."
Don't stuff words in my mouth. I never said that.
You may not have, but that's what most people who resort to the sales "argument" usually say.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Doesn't exactly work that way, because Ike has the Ragnell, a large and heavy two-handed sword, which in that context is an unexplored idea for characters in general. It's the reason why Ike contrasts so much from Marth in terms of play style, Ike being more of a slow heavy hitter while Marth uses speed and agility, and also contrasts with other characters in a similar ilk.
But Ike himself was never slow. He wasn't in his animations or his actually speed stat. Many people thought it was weird that he was as slow as he was in brawl. That, along with the move eruptions which came completely out of nowhere, are points where sakurai took some liberties to make Ike unique. Whose to say that Chrom cannot get the same treatment? Sakurai could give chrom access to lances that could or could not be used a projectile and that would be doing it without altering his character.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
But Ike himself was never slow. He wasn't in his animations or his actually speed stat. Many people thought it was weird that he was as slow as he was in brawl. That, along with the move eruptions which came completely out of nowhere, are points where sakurai took some liberties to make Ike unique. Whose to say that Chrom cannot get the same treatment? Sakurai could give chrom access to lances that could or could not be used a projectile and that would be doing it without altering his character.
If someone has clone potential, they will be a clone. Toon Link could've been unique, but he is a clone. Luigi could've, oh look, he's a clone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If someone has clone potential, they will be a clone. Toon Link could've been unique, but he is a clone. Luigi could've, oh look, he's a clone.
Luigi's far from a clone at this point.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You got to keep in mind that when it comes to any kind of fighting game, normally character gameplay and design is correlated to each other, hence why generally a lot of fast agile characters are small and scrawny while heavy hitting behemoths are massive and muscular. In the context of Ike, it does make sense that he would be a slow heavy hitting character because, again, his Ragnell is a large and heavy weapon, so naturally from the standpoint of common sense wielding a weapon like that would make you very powerful, but at the same time at the cost of speed and agility.

As for Eruption, that is mainly a balance compensation. Remember, Ike was originally going to have a shockwave projectile produced from the Ragnell, but that was deemed too powerful, so basically Eruption was made to make a generally more balance friendly move.

As for Chrom, the main prospective I can see him is being more of a Beat Down character, a character that focuses more on hitting as hard as possible and as fast as possible, like in vein to Captain Falcon. The main problem comes from actually providing the diversity to avoid possible redundancies, which is a pretty glaring problem especially in the context of a character that from first impressions does not standout.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I didn't make up anything. The sales "argument" goes something like this: Awakening sold really well for an FE game/saved the franchise or whatever, therefore Chrom(or any Awakening character of your choice) is likely.

However, Ike made it in to Brawl despite his game selling poorly, which shows that Sakurai doesn't care all that much about sales.

Based on your post it seems like you've moved to defending the recency/relevancy "argument."

You may not have, but that's what most people who resort to the sales "argument" usually say.
Based on your "post" you're reaching your own "conclusions" about what a hot game means. Its not purely sales, relevance, publicity or quality of the game but a combination of the four.

In case you didn't catch what I was trying to say with the quotes, you can stop that. We know what you're trying to convey with the quotes but the only thing it contributes to the argument is hostility.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Based on your "post" you're reaching your own "conclusions" about what a hot game means. Its not purely sales, relevance, publicity or quality of the game but a combination of the four.
Okay. So the "hot game" is the recency/sales/acclaim argument all wrapped up into one.

And my point still stands. PoR was only popular among the hardcore western FE fanbase. It sold poorly in comparison to previous entries, and it didn't get nearly the same critical acclaim Awakening has. So I still don't see how PoR meets any of your criteria for being "hot" except for being recent.
Weren't Ike's games the most popular/best selling at the time?
No. Prior to Awakening the best selling FE game was FE7. Ike's games sold so poorly that they almost killed the franchise.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
We talk about their games, yes, but usually only with regards to what sort of abilities they might take from them. I don't really hear any Palutena supporters saying that Uprising selling really well makes Palutena inevitable.
Palutena is a supporting character. Chrom is a main playable character. Completely different situations.
A better comparison would be in Japan, would the addition of Lucas add to Japanese sales of Brawl. I think they would. Not to a large degree, but would contribute to Brawl's sales.
And that will create a compelling and unique gameplay style. Also, that's hardly unique. Looks really generic.

And that will create a compelling and unique game play style.

And that will create a compelling and unique gameplay style.

FINALLY some gameplay talk, took about 400 posts to finally dwell into that.
I've mentioned the same thing several times in the past about his sword style. Several others have done the same.

And when we are talking about characters, we don't exclusive talk about gameplay style. You keep moving the goal posts on what you want talk about. Other people don't exclusively talk about gameplay style. Not to mention you fail to address any of the points I bring.
Now I agree with most of what you said, but...

capes in terms of realism don't work out on superheroes. But superheroes are inherently unrealistic.

"hotness" is something that Sakurai has mentioned when discussing characters. I think he used it when discussing Pokemon. As Gingerbread Man said, sales are just an objective measure of popularity. Ike's games didn't sell well, but they were popular with the FE fanbase and critically receive well (especially PoR). Awakening sold well and is popular with the FE fanbase.

I think the idea looks for a hot character and then makes the moveset makes sense. He makes the moveset to contribute to balance, hence Ike's heavy moveset.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
"hotness" is something that Sakurai has mentioned when discussing characters. I think he used it when discussing Pokemon.
He said that he looks to what Pokemon are "hot" at the moment to decide who to consider for inclusion. It's not the end all be all for who gets in.

Pokemon may also be a special case becaue Game Freak/TPC is 2nd party, thus they probably have more say in who they want included in Smash.
As Gingerbread Man said, sales are just an objective measure of popularity. Ike's games didn't sell well, but they were popular with the FE fanbase and critically receive well (especially PoR).
-says sales=popularity
-says that FE9 was popular despite not selling well

You keep bringing up this "hotness" thing, but all I'm seeing is the same old relevancy/sales bull****.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
A better comparison would be in Japan, would the addition of Lucas add to Japanese sales of Brawl. I think they would. Not to a large degree, but would contribute to Brawl's sales.
Actually in Japan Mother 3 is a bit of a base breaker, arguably the franchise's equivalent of Metroid: Other M or Star Fox Adventures.

And when we are talking about characters, we don't exclusive talk about gameplay style. You keep moving the goal posts on what you want talk about. Other people don't exclusively talk about gameplay style. Not to mention you fail to address any of the points I bring.
Too bad gameplay is the most important part of a character, because again WE PLAY AS CHARACTERS. Knowing how a character plays is very important, far more then people give it credit for.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
He said that he looks to what Pokemon are "hot" at the moment to decide who to consider for inclusion. It's not the end all be all for who gets in.

Pokemon may also be a special case becaue Game Freak/TPC is 2nd party, thus they probably have more say in who they want included in Smash.

-says sales=popularity
-says that FE9 was popular despite not selling well

You keep bringing up this "hotness" thing, but all I'm seeing is the same old relevancy/sales bull****.
It's not for Fire Emblem either. But it's why some characters get in to the series.

IS has just as much say from what we have seen. Both Roy and Ike made it in because of IS's suggestions.

Fire Emblem Awakening is the most popular game in the series, regardless of sales.

Hotness and relevance are subjective, so people will never agree on them. It's not that big a deal.
Actually in Japan Mother 3 is a bit of a base breaker, arguably the franchise's equivalent of Metroid: Other M or Star Fox Adventures.
I'm not aware of Mother 3 of being a base breaker. Where did you hear this from? I remember it getting excellent reviews, although the only review I can remember is a 35/40 from Famitsu.
Too bad gameplay is the most important part of a character, because again WE PLAY AS CHARACTERS. Knowing how a character plays is very important, far more then people give it credit for.
It's not that people don't give that credit. It's that it's impossible to predict. It's based on preconceived notion on how Sakurai designs a character. We don't know how any unrevealed character will play. Not until we, you know, play it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
IS has just as much say from what we have seen. Both Roy and Ike made it in because of IS's suggestions.
I don't recall that IS suggested Roy. Either way, they didn't get in because of IS suggesting them, they got in because Sakurai thought they would stand out.

They also didn't get in because of sales or "hotness" or whatever the new stand in for recency is.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't recall that IS suggested Roy. Either way, they didn't get in because of IS suggesting them, they got in because Sakurai thought they would stand out.

They also didn't get in because of sales or "hotness" or whatever the new stand in for recency is.
I believe Sakurai got a peak at the new FE that was being planned and they both agreed Roy would be a good fit. Without IS"s input we would have never gotten Roy.

I believe Ike was specifically suggested by IS because Sakurai didn't know who to add in Brawl.

Roy wouldn't have gotten looked into if his game wasn't about to come out. Because IS wouldn't have anything to show Sakurai in that case. Since hotness is a subjective matter, I doubt Sakurai will go out and actually say that's why the character got in. It's only one factor in a multitude of factors. When you make a prediction, one factor stands out above the others. When people predict Roy, they usually think his popularity among the smash base is the factor that gets him in, for example. That's how predictions work.

If you don't want to use hotness, that's perfectly fine. But some people will, including me.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I believe Sakurai got a peak at the new FE that was being planned and they both agreed Roy would be a good fit. Without IS"s input we would have never gotten Roy.

I believe Ike was specifically suggested by IS because Sakurai didn't know who to add in Brawl.
Yes, Ike and Roy were suggested by IS, but Sakurai was the one who included them, and he didn't include them just because they were recent/"hot."

If you don't want to use hotness, that's perfectly fine. But some people will, including me.
Doesn't change the fact that it's a bull**** argument.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Yes, Ike and Roy were suggested by IS, but Sakurai was the one who included them, and he didn't include them just because they were recent/"hot."

Doesn't change the fact that it's a bull**** argument.
Sakurai makes the final call on all characters. I don't see how this changes anything. He really doesn't go into great analytical detail on why characters are included. Other than those short tidbits he did for Melee, which were hardly great analytical posts.

I think I've said this same thing before to you, in the exact same context. The most important aspect of a prediction is that it's right when the game comes out. I would rather use "bull****" argument that gets me the right roster, rather than an argument that everyone on Smashboards agrees with, but that's ultimately wrong when we get the real roster.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's not that people don't give that credit. It's that it's impossible to predict. It's based on preconceived notion on how Sakurai designs a character. We don't know how any unrevealed character will play. Not until we, you know, play it.
That's a pretty sorry excuse. Use your head, and everything will fall into place. Every character follows an archetype, based around their design. The design in question helps bring out a blue print on how a character will play. Like for example, Takamaru is going to have attacks based around varies types of martial arts inspired by the likes of laido, laijutsu, and battojutsu, plus incorporating abilities inspired by samurai from both fiction and non-fiction works, with the main gameplay going to have an emphasis on lightning fast attacks and combos.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I pray to Naga that if Chrom is in this game along Marth and Ike that by the next Smash bros whatever character is destined to be the one to join Smash that Intelligent Systems takes a break from the linearity and does a 180 degree change of that typical lord design. There is so much untouched potential in Fire Emblem. Any of you who are K. Rool fans can probably understand where I'm coming from the three apes may look stale but adding that crocodile makes things much more interesting don't you think?

My hope for Chrom is that they give him lances or make him entirely different from the Brawl lords, but somehow i'm not excited for his inclusion. His competition seems much more exciting to me.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
where did you hear the Mother 3 base breaker thing again?
That's a pretty sorry excuse. Use your head, and everything will fall into place. Every character follows an archetype, based around their design. The design in question helps bring out a blue print on how a character will play. Like for example, Takamaru is going to have attacks based around varies types of martial arts inspired by the likes of laido, laijutsu, and battojutsu, plus incorporating abilities inspired by samurai from both fiction and non-fiction works, with the main gameplay going to have an emphasis on lightning fast attacks and combos.
Make no mistake, we all try to predict them. What do you think all these movesets are for? But there is no inherent value in my prediction of moveset, to yours, or gingerbread man's (just to name an example). It's all guess work, and to pretend like it's anything else is giving yourself too much credit. They are just for fun and have absolutely no bearing on how the characters will play in the game. I hope all the newcomers play differently than the way I imagine them or anyone else imagines them. I like being surprised.

Every character follows an archetype, until Sakurai decides to change them. Ike is a fast ranger, sword user in PoR, and become a slow power based fighter. R.O.B. was a peripheral. Mr. Game and Watch didn't exist as a character with that name. The Ice Climbers were single player characters. Pit's bow didn't have blades. I remember playing the original F-Zero and when I got out of the car and Falcon Punched Jody Summer. Roy wields the Sword of Seals with two hands. Link is the slowest swordsman I have ever seen, very different than his OoT and TP appearances.

How much of laido, laijutsu, and battojutsu is present within Takamaru's NES game again? Or is it from the edit characters traits he has from Samurai Warrior 3? I got nothing against Takamaru, but your argument relies on adding things not present in his Nintendo experiences. Which you could easily do for any character, and which Sakurai has done.

You can try to predict what a gameplaystyle will be, but it's very dumb to disqualify character's from having interesting movesets because you can't think of any.

Chrom (and Lucina) could easily use a combination samurai kendo, with a style similar to Mitsurugi from Soul Calibur (who use the same two handed sword stance), and the one hand german school of swordsmanship, to reference the medieval type setting of the Fire Emblem games. They also could have blue flame effects on their attacks, as they do in cutscenes.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
How much of laido, laijutsu, and battojutsu is present within Takamaru's NES game again? Or is it from the edit characters traits he has from Samurai Warrior 3? I got nothing against Takamaru, but your argument relies on adding things not present in his Nintendo experiences. Which you could easily do for any character, and which Sakurai has them.
I think he's arguing that Takamaru will get those things based on the fact that he's a samurai, not necessarily on anything in his games.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ike is a fast ranger, sword user in PoR, and become a slow power based fighter.
Ragnell being a heavy and large sword. Greater power at the cost of speed. Common sense. Read comments.
R.O.B. was a peripheral.
Robots are known in fiction for flight via some sort of jetpack or thruster and the ability to shoot energy beams.
Mr. Game and Watch didn't exist as a character with that name.
Clown fighter that uses hammer space to fight, generally comical due to the rather quirky design.
The Ice Climbers were single player characters.
Paired them up mainly for the sake of gameplay, but alone they clearly take inspiration from hammer based combat with some references to mountaineers and introduced the ability to manipulate ice, to emphasis their name Ice Climbers.
Pit's bow didn't have blades.
Improvising due to limited basis, though his archetype of being a fairly defensive character probably comes from passive nature typical of angels. Arrows are also a recurring characteristic of Cupid, which Pit is based on.
I remember playing the original F-Zero and when I got out of the car and Falcon Punched Jody Summer.
His attacks are based around sentai works like Kamen Rider.
Roy wields the Sword of Seals with two hands.
Because apparently that's such a huge deal, especially in context swords like that are supposed to be handled in a similar manner.
Link is the slowest swordsman I have ever seen, very different than his OoT and TP appearances.
He carries a lot of heavy equipment, bombs, bow, arrows, shield, boomerang, hookshot, etc. You're actually expecting him to have super sonic blazing speed when he's carrying around a whale on his back (metaphorically)?

How much of laido, laijutsu, and battojutsu is present within Takamaru's NES game again? Or is it from the edit characters traits he has from Samurai Warrior 3?
It doesn't matter as much as you think, but he has shown some techniques typical of samurai in Samurai Warrior 3. Though you shouldn't be surprised if a samurai is using martial arts correlating to Japanese swordslike katana, because that's just common sense. It's the same logic as a knight fighting based on European sword play with something like a longsword.
I got nothing against Takamaru, but your argument relies on adding things not present in his Nintendo experiences. Which you could easily do for any character, and which Sakurai has done.
It's not as important as you think to stick closely to the source material, because then you'll be extremely limited to what you can do. Improvising is very much needed, but at the same time it should make sense in the context of the character you're work with, like you cannot give Marth a bazooka or having Captain Falcon throwing pies at people and expecting that to fly.

You can try to predict what a gameplaystyle will be, but it's very dumb to disqualify character's from having interesting movesets because you can't think of any.
Already am doing that, cannot exactly stop it.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Part of me wants chrom to be confirmed with a unique moveset for the pure sake of proving that he can have a unique moveset.

Why isn't little mac met with this much cynicism? Don't we already have like 20 characters that punch people? How will we ever fit him in?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still like the suggestion of the stance shift between "durability, healing, and heavy stabby Falchion-play" and "mobility, reach, lighter Spear-play." Just my idea for Chrom, but I think it could be cool...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Why isn't little mac met with this much cynicism? Don't we already have like 20 characters that punch people? How will we ever fit him in?
Probably because there isn't a sense of redundancy at play, meaning people are more lenient with the idea of Little Mac. Plus some would like the idea of a boxer, kind of like the Super Smash Bros. equivalent to Balrog from the Street Fighter.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
But we don't have characters who build their entire moveset around it, or use a boxing fighting style.

Edit: And I don't think anyone here right now doesn't want Chrom in because they think he's "just another sword user."

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
It doesn't matter as much as you think, but he has shown some techniques typical of samurai in Samurai Warrior 3. Though you shouldn't be surprised if a samurai is using martial arts correlating to Japanese swordslike katana, because that's just common sense. It's the same logic as a knight fighting based on European sword play with something like a longsword.
It's not as important as you think to stick closely to the source material, because then you'll be extremely limited to what you can do. Improvising is very much needed, but at the same time it should make sense in the context of the character you're work with, like you cannot give Marth a bazooka or having Captain Falcon throwing pies at people and expecting that to fly.
Still waiting on Mother 3 being a base breaker info.

Link and Ike move contrary to how they do in their OoT/TP and PoR appearances. You can cover for it all you want. Sakurai changed them probably for balance, as I've never heard him mention Link's items weighing him down (unless that was supposed to be a joke).

You can easily improvise for Chrom or Lucina. Give them a combination of their two handed samurai sword technique and use influences from the German, Spanish, and Italian schools of medieval swordsmanship. I know it doesn't sound as cool as battojutsu, but it's a possible improvisation with just as much gameplay opportunities, just the same as Takamaru's improvisation. And perfectly reasonable given Fire Emblem's setting. Add in lances and blue flamed techniques, the additional abilities with the falchion (it lights up!), along with different FE weapons they use like the Levin Sword, and you can easily make a unique moveset. My point was you can do what you just did for Takamaru with other swordsmen. It's not that hard.

I'll lay it out very simply. People who have a bias against Chrom specifically construct a scenario where they themselves cannot come up with an original moveset. And therefore, declare that Chrom would be a boring character. Without realizing that they "improvise" a fair amount for just about every other newcomer they want in the game.

I'm not sure if you have ever said this, but do you have a preferred FE newcomer?
Part of me wants chrom to be confirmed with a unique moveset for the pure sake of proving that he can have a unique moveset.
Tell me about it. All the Chrom hate seems like a challenge that Sakurai could easily rise to occasion and create a unique character.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Still waiting on Mother 3 being a base breaker info.
I don't have info on-hand, but I'm 99% sure this is true. I believe it was because the game had a much darker tone than M1/EarthBound, but I may be wrong.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't have info on-hand, but I'm 99% sure this is true. I believe it was because the game had a much darker tone than M1/EarthBound, but I may be wrong.
not to stray too far from the FE discussion, but I think everyone who played it still though it was a good game. Metroid: Other M and Star Fox Adventures weren't good games. Other M was a mess as far as I can tell, and SFA wasn't really a SF game. It was a star fox clone. It might not be their favorite, but risky games tend to have a few polarize opinions from hardcore fans. Fire Emblem Awakening has few tough opinions from hardcore fans, but its still a great game. Hardly a base breaker.

Let's not overuse the term base breaker. Just because a few hardcore fans dislike a game does not make it a base breaker. Base breaker should be reserved for games that aren't that isn't a consensus that it's good and that really polarize the fanbase.

Mother 3 regularly dominated Famitsu most wanted charts. And Mother 3 sold fairly well for being a late GBA release.

Edit: good point about "base breakers"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BaseBreaker
"No examples, please. Every character in any work of media is one to some extent. This page simply defines the term."

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
As an expert of swordsmanship (ya rite bruh :rolleyes:) IRL, and having played Fire Emblem: Awakening, I can guarantee that Chrom could have a unique sword based moveset, my most major concern is what Sakurai would most likely do in any given situation, and if my analysis of his swordplay in the game is correct, and if I know Sakurai's tendencies, I say the changes of him having a unique and compelling sword type are slim, but not impossible. The most likely occurrence will be Chrom creates a blend between the other sword styles already in play, it is very unlikely he'll take up some cool Iaijutsu, or that he'll take up Kenjutsu, I'd rather have Lyn and Yoshimitsu (or Takamaru and Goroh) take up those two respectively anyways. It's more likely he'd have to stick to the Renaissance Martial Arts (which, mind you, doesn't really have a name like the eastern martial arts), and Marth's taken from that for one handed weapons heavily (most unusual is his stance, only because his sword is not up, which is a death sentence against any competent swordsman), and Ike has taken from their guides on 'what not to do in a sword fight' (seriously, have you seen his Fsmash or Ftilt? He'd get stabbed in the heart just for winding his sword up, he'd be impotent to block in nearly all case with one arm, being disarmed quite easily, and get stabbed in the brains for leaning forward like that). I'm not sure where he could go, seeing as he doesn't wield Falchion like a greatsword, and Smash being a 2.5D fighter. I view it as unlikely he'll use anything other than sword, but if he does get in, I hope my hardest that he uses spears and other random bullcrap Sakurai would pull to make him more interesting.

Aaaaanyways, my main opposition to Chrom is his low likelihood to be anything other than boring compared to the much, much more compelling choices which can would bring stuff from FE that has not been displayed in the past, and that will create a very flavorful gameplay, Tiki with her bombs (edit: I mean wut? Firebombs of course! Dragon blasts!), Anna with her everything+spear, anyone but another sword user from FE, please. This is a nigh insurmountable obstacle to Chrom.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Link and Ike move contrary to how they do in their OoT/TP and PoR appearances. You can cover for it all you want. Sakurai changed them probably for balance, as I've never heard him mention Link's items weighing him down (unless that was supposed to be a joke).
It's most likely from the prospective of diversity, balance (lol), and logic. Never stated by Masahiro Sakrai himself, but when you think about it from a design prospective Link being sluggish due to carrying a trove of junk would make sense, and it's pretty clear speed is not the top priority for Link, but rather wearing down the opponent with different projectiles and setting them up for punishment... to varying amount of success. I mean when Toon Link is faster and lighter (and better), you can see what I mean.

You can easily improvise for Chrom or Lucina. Give them a combination of their two handed samurai sword technique and use influences from the German, Spanish, and Italian schools of medieval swordsmanship. I know it doesn't sound as cool as battojutsu, but it's a possible improvisation with just as much gameplay opportunities, just the same as Takamaru's improvisation. And perfectly reasonable given Fire Emblem's setting. Add in lances and blue flamed techniques, the additional abilities with the falchion (it lights up!), along with different FE weapons they use like the Levin Sword, and you can easily make a unique moveset. My point was you can do what you just did for Takamaru with other swordsmen. It's not that hard.

I'll lay it out very simply. People who have a bias against Chrom specifically construct a scenario where they themselves cannot come up with an original moveset. And therefore, declare that Chrom would be a boring character. Without realizing that they "improvise" a fair amount for just about every other newcomer they want in the game.
I guess from my prospective, it's the design itself that is basically one brick wall. Bring up Chrom and suddenly "IKEIKEIKE", bring up Lucina and suddenly "MARTHMARTHMARTH". That's not something encouraging, especially considering the habit of making similar characters because they're similar. I guess I do have a bit of a bias in that regard, though I guess hanging out with the more gameplay heavy focused crowd causes me to gain a more strict prospective on this kind of thing. Mainly hang around with KumaOso, ManlySpirit, and Johnknight1, and they also think that Chrom and Lucina are nothing special, especially considering the former two are big fans of fighting games and know about the prospective of archetypes and diversity by heart.

I did make a promise to basically eat my own words if Chrom/Lucina did turn out to be completely original. I mean, either way I'm not going to exactly enjoy the idea of either Chrom or Lucina being in Super Smash Bros. because I know the Fire Emblem series can provide with better options and seeing it fail to achieve that is going to really ruffle some feathers. God the bad impressions are going to be haunting...

I'm not sure if you have ever said this, but do you have a preferred FE newcomer?
Lyndis. Manly made a god tier description on how she'd play, which is why I'd really like the inclusion. It might even come true considering that descriptions were given to the Project M team for discussion. Also wouldn't mind a character that uses a different type of weapon like a lance or axe either, like for example Hector or Ephraim.

D

Deleted member

Lyn's not that special, either.
Only reason she seems like it is because someone was super obsessed dedicated to make her seem special.
Chrom doesn't have an equivalent super obsessed dedicated fanboy.

But everyone knows Chroy is the answer. All hail Chroy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm curious...

Hab. What do you think about Robin?

Status