• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem discussion" Ver 2.0 (Smash Ballot)

Do you like the Idea

• I do very much and I'm committed to it!

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I don't at all, please go back to the cave you came from!

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
If any other Fire Emblem character should get in, it's Anna. She's practically the series mascot and no other character is really relevant or potentially unique enough at this point in time, except maybe Lyn, and only because of her presence as an assist trophy, which is a blessing and a curse. Tiki would also be a nice choice, but I have trouble imagining how she would actually fight. She'd make a great assist trophy, though.

Ephraim might be fun, but he's old and only had one game where he co-starred (and Eirika was arguably more the star than he was even there). I don't like the idea of adding an If character yet, so I'm not big on Kamui. A pure magic fighter would be cool, but the only ones I can see being reasonable additions are Celica and Micaiah, the former of which has the same issue as Ephraim (but is even older) and the latter of which is very unpopular even among people who love Radiant Dawn, not to mention Tellius already has a rep and is unlikely to get another (which is why I also don't support Black Knight). Hector has the same problem as Ephraim, but to a worse degree. Roy has loads going against him. I don't think I even need to explain why Chrom shouldn't happen.

Anna has lasting presence in the series and as long as Sakurai doesn't think he needs to use Trickster Anna, there's plenty of stuff he can draw from to make her a very unique fighter.
Anna is cute and all, but I'd rather have real fighters, characters that are born to fight, we could have Lance Fighter like Ephraim he presents many possibilities, I will stick the Black Knight though. It's weird that you don't support Black Knight because Tellius got a rep, but when Archania has 3 freaking reps, I think continents shouldn't be considered when choosing a character.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Anna is cute and all, but I'd rather have real fighters, characters that are born to fight, we could have Lance Fighter like Ephraim he presents many possibilities, I will stick the Black Knight though.
Uh, what? Anna is as "real" of a fighter as they come (whatever that even means). Besides, it's not like such logic stopped characters such as Wii Fit Trainer and Villager.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Uh, what? Anna is as "real" of a fighter as they come (whatever that even means). Besides, it's not like such logic stopped characters such as Wii Fit Trainer and Villager.
Anna is good and all, but what can she offer that other characters don't already? It's a real question, if possible could you give me an imaginary moveset consisting of Specials and Final Smash ?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Anna is good and all, but what can she offer that other characters don't already? It's a real question, if possible could you give me an imaginary moveset consisting of Specials and Final Smash ?
At the very least her recurring status gives the Smash team good reason to add her instead of making her a "Flavor of the week character" ala Roy/Lucina/Pichu. The 'flavor' characters will lose popularity/relevance in their series and be replaced only to have fans angered to bring back a non relevant character in a series full of potential and newer characters.

Braydon

Smash Ace
At the very least her recurring status gives the Smash team good reason to add her instead of making her a "Flavor of the week character" ala Roy/Lucina/Pichu. The 'flavor' characters will lose popularity/relevance in their series and be replaced only to have fans angered to bring back a non relevant character in a series full of potential and newer characters.
But Anna isn't really all that relevant in any FE game. She's just kind of there, she doesn't have any major roles, she's just not important.

Personally I think the black knight is the best option, plenty of room for a unique moveset, plus he's pretty much the only applicable villain, obviously you can't go adding Grima.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
But Anna isn't really all that relevant in any FE game. She's just kind of there, she doesn't have any major roles, she's just not important.

Personally I think the black knight is the best option, plenty of room for a unique moveset, plus he's pretty much the only applicable villain, obviously you can't go adding Grima.
That is true but I can see the FE representation int he next few Smashes becoming a bit... troubling for people who aren't fans of FE. Smash is getting towards the bottom of the barrel with characters who make it in so maybe it won't be so bad.

Braydon

Smash Ace
That is true but I can see the FE representation int he next few Smashes becoming a bit... troubling for people who aren't fans of FE. Smash is getting towards the bottom of the barrel with characters who make it in so maybe it won't be so bad.
I don't think so, at least Lucina will probably be cut in smash 5, seeing as all she is is a marth clone and she's not going to be in the next FE, robin may be cut as well but that's not as likely. Anyway point is if lucina's cut, then they could add the black knight, a rep from the next FE, and only be up to 5 which doesn't seem like to many to me.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I don't think so, at least Lucina will probably be cut in smash 5, seeing as all she is is a marth clone and she's not going to be in the next FE, robin may be cut as well but that's not as likely. Anyway point is if lucina's cut, then they could add the black knight, a rep from the next FE, and only be up to 5 which doesn't seem like to many to me.
Lucina will probably be cut, Robin might be switched out for the current main protagonist or become a costume or stay as is if they are different enough. But consider this- Fire Emblem has 14 games and didn't come out until Melee and Advance Wars gave them more popularity and showed that Intelligent System's turn based strategy games could sell. Donkey Kong has over 30 games and is an Iconic gaming series but only has 2 characters. Metroid has 14 entries but only has 2 characters. Advance Wars has 12 games and was one of the reasons Fire Emblem was localized and only has an assist Trophy. Excitebike has 11.5-ish games and no assist anymore. There are some people turned off by the anime aesthetic and I really hope for the above series before FE starts adding more. At the very least don't let it be another straight off sword fighter without some gimmick- we have it covered.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Anna may not be relevant to the plots, but she is plenty relevant and important to FE overall. This is not a good argument.

Where is potential for a unique Black Knight moveset? He's another sword user. He'd be a slower Ike.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Lucina will probably be cut, Robin might be switched out for the current main protagonist or become a costume or stay as is if they are different enough. But consider this- Fire Emblem has 14 games and didn't come out until Melee and Advance Wars gave them more popularity and showed that Intelligent System's turn based strategy games could sell. Donkey Kong has over 30 games and is an Iconic gaming series but only has 2 characters. Metroid has 14 entries but only has 2 characters. Advance Wars has 12 games and was one of the reasons Fire Emblem was localized and only has an assist Trophy. Excitebike has 11.5-ish games and no assist anymore. There are some people turned off by the anime aesthetic and I really hope for the above series before FE starts adding more. At the very least don't let it be another straight off sword fighter without some gimmick- we have it covered.
Lucina will be cut in favor t
Anna may not be relevant to the plots, but she is plenty relevant and important to FE overall. This is not a good argument.

Where is potential for a unique Black Knight moveset? He's another sword user. He'd be a slower Ike.
I told you, make a moveset, I can't seem to imagine a good Anna moveset, I need your help here.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, :4myfriends: was all I ever really needed in terms of Fire Emblem characters.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Lucina will be cut in favor t

I told you, make a moveset, I can't seem to imagine a good Anna moveset, I need your help here.
In the next Smash they probably will cut her or make her a costume or make her DLC...or something... but they will also add more character(s) so it just seems nice to get more franchises or series expanded a little first or alongside FE.

Also since they haven't been working on a Moveset there is a thread for her here and the moveset in the OP seems to use her trickster class incarnation from FE:A as its basis. I am sure there might be more movesets in the thread and some creative mechanics could be given to her. Who knows though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But Diddy Ike needs his Rival...
Am doubting that that will ever really happen... The fact we got Zelgius as an alternative costume is already pretty cool for a reference to be honest... Outside of this, I'd only hope to vote for.. a Soren alt to Robin..?

Braydon

Smash Ace

No, anna is not relevant. How exactly do you think a character with no significant rolls is important? Anna is mainly just a sprite for shopkeepers, she usually cant even be recruited, and when she can she's pretty much just another sword user, with WAY less potential than the black knight. She has her bow and crap for specials, but her normals and smashes will just be like robin or marth.

Plus that moveset you linked with her "huge" potential was basically just slight changes to existing attacks, slightly different pits bow, slightly different shadow sneak, and a slightly different teleport up special, it's really nothing special at all.

In case you forgot the black knights sword is blessed and has disjoint/projectiles, there is plenty of potential for attacks different from ike. Why would you even think he would be like ike?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
No, anna is not relevant. How exactly do you think a character with no significant rolls is important? Anna is mainly just a sprite for shopkeepers, she usually cant even be recruited, and when she can she's pretty much just another sword user, with WAY less potential than the black knight. She has her bow and crap for specials, but her normals and smashes will just be like robin or marth.

Plus that moveset you linked with her "huge" potential was basically just slight changes to existing attacks, slightly different pits bow, slightly different shadow sneak, and a slightly different teleport up special, it's really nothing special at all.

In case you forgot the black knights sword is blessed and has disjoint/projectiles, there is plenty of potential for attacks different from ike. Why would you even think he would be like ike?
Uh, yes, Anna is relevant. Relevancy isn't limited to important plot roles. That moveset I linked is just one idea, but given the nature of Anna, you can basically give her any weapon that exists in Fire Emblem as part of a moveset, making her potential as a Smash fighter more or less infinite.

Yeah, Ike's Ragnell has a projectile too, and we can see where that went. The Black Knight is a heavily armored Sword user. Chrom wasn't added because he'd be "just another Sword user." How is the Black Knight different? And wtf do you even mean when you say his sword has "disjoint"?

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I will always support Lucina even into Smash 5 and she was robbed of being allowed to use lances.

Also, Anna can always use the Levin Sword for how it actually works in game as a sword that summons lightning bolts and the reverse grip she holds on all swords could make her moveset less based on slashes and more like a knife. Not exactly what I call "just another sword user".

Also, I kinda want to see want Sakurai can do with Fire Emblem Staves.

Last edited:

Rakath

Smash Ace
Anna might be in the most games, but mechanically she's a weak option. IF Protag and Tiki are the strongest options to me because both have what other FE characters lack: DRAGON.

Dragons are a huge part of FE mythos and Manakete are a well known part of the mechanics for the endgame. Making another variation on Sword user, like Micaiah/another mage as a variation on Robin, isn't as effective with mechanical use as a Manakete would be. And I would rather DLC resources used for characters that make more of the game known. Which even a Lance or Axe user wouldn't help with.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Anna might be in the most games, but mechanically she's a weak option. IF Protag and Tiki are the strongest options to me because both have what other FE characters lack: DRAGON.

Dragons are a huge part of FE mythos and Manakete are a well known part of the mechanics for the endgame. Making another variation on Sword user, like Micaiah/another mage as a variation on Robin, isn't as effective with mechanical use as a Manakete would be. And I would rather DLC resources used for characters that make more of the game known. Which even a Lance or Axe user wouldn't help with.
So you want the If Protagonist without the Yatogami (his/her special sword)? I do agree with the circumstances of Smash 4 DLC, Tiki is probably the best shot for another Fire Emblem character especially since Tiki seems to be in SMT x FE.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
As far as relevance, Tiki would be a great choice, but how would she work? It wouldn't be interesting to have her fight untransformed and I can't imagine playing her as a huge dragon.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
As far as relevance, Tiki would be a great choice, but how would she work? It wouldn't be interesting to have her fight untransformed and I can't imagine playing her as a huge dragon.
I'd imagine the best way she could work is if Sakurai takes liberties (like he did with Robin, Lucas, and Ness) with Tiki's transformation into a dragon and have only part of her body transform when she does a move.

Example: Say Tiki's neutral b is a fireball. Have only her head transform, shoot the fireball and then transform back.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Oh boy, here we go the debatening!
I'll graciously abstain.

I really would also like to see Black Knight / Hector / Axe Wielder of some description, though.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I'd choose either Anna or Tiki for the 5th Fire Emblem character.

Villager's_Mewtwo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mewtwo12
3DS FC
0602-6514-9988
Character name:Tiki
First Game appeared in:Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
Design she should use: Awakening design
Why she should appear in the game: First off there's no chance that she could possibly be made a clone because 1. She doesn't use a sword unlike the other Fire Emblem Characters and 2. There is't any other character in the game with an ability like her (Due to her being a manakete she has the ability to transform into a dragon) Her move-set could consist of her using partial transformation. Depending on certain situations she could grow out certain dragon parts in order to attack or move around such as being able to sprout dragon wings for an added jump and for her up special, growing claws or a tail for tilt attacks and her breathing fire or some other kind of breath attack for her other specials. Finally she could use a little bit of magic/healing staves to heal her self since the Mage, Sage and Dark Knight classes are available for her by using a second seal, she could also use lances or bows an arrows for certain attacks because of her bride class plus I think it would be pretty interesting for a character to use the second seal like that and change classes mid-battle or use partial transformation :D

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
If any other Fire Emblem character should get in, it's Anna. She's practically the series mascot and no other character is really relevant or potentially unique enough at this point in time, except maybe Lyn, and only because of her presence as an assist trophy, which is a blessing and a curse. Tiki would also be a nice choice, but I have trouble imagining how she would actually fight. She'd make a great assist trophy, though.

Ephraim might be fun, but he's old and only had one game where he co-starred (and Eirika was arguably more the star than he was even there). I don't like the idea of adding an If character yet, so I'm not big on Kamui. A pure magic fighter would be cool, but the only ones I can see being reasonable additions are Celica and Micaiah, the former of which has the same issue as Ephraim (but is even older) and the latter of which is very unpopular even among people who love Radiant Dawn, not to mention Tellius already has a rep and is unlikely to get another (which is why I also don't support Black Knight). Hector has the same problem as Ephraim, but to a worse degree. Roy has loads going against him. I don't think I even need to explain why Chrom shouldn't happen.

Anna has lasting presence in the series and as long as Sakurai doesn't think he needs to use Trickster Anna, there's plenty of stuff he can draw from to make her a very unique fighter.
I would love anna, especially if they draw inspiration from the thief characters, stealthy low power combo character (like a deceptive Shiek) would be phenomoenal. I always liked the idea o Matthew, Legault, Jaffar, or Volke being in but Anna could do all that and more.

But in regards to the Black Knight, he has ranged sword (they could actually utilize which they chose not to with Ike) but also teleportation and could be a true heavy (Ike is to DK as Black Knight would be to Bowser). So magic sword + Teleportation makes him more unique than any other non-magic/laguz/manateke character in terms of moveset potential.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You should totally check out the Tiki thread #selflessplug in this very forum. There are a few movesets to peruse~

One of which broke the OP but hey we did our best.

Anna would be hype. Hell, any Fire Emblem character would be okay with me, they're all uniformally excellent~

EDIT: Oh, and I've actually written an Anna moveset, if anybody's interested.

Last edited:

Rakath

Smash Ace
So you want the If Protagonist without the Yatogami (his/her special sword)? I do agree with the circumstances of Smash 4 DLC, Tiki is probably the best shot for another Fire Emblem character especially since Tiki seems to be in SMT x FE.
No, if IF protagonist is in, I would expect them to keep their sword. Just that several of their moves would be built on being a Manakete. So various specials and Smashes would use Dragonish aspects (as @ IceAnt573 IceAnt573 says, and is part of the moveset I suggested in the Tiki thread) and the Final Smash would be a full Manakete transformation.

Auxiliary_Bro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chabbit
3DS FC
2595-2515-5562
I came in to say I'd love Ephraim, Lyn or Hector, but I'm leaving with the thought that Anna would be perfect for Smash. I'd like to see a quirky moveset with her being a shopkeeper, maybe mixed with some of the stuff she could do in Awakening. I'm a little surprised she isn't already in.

The Black Knight could work, and it would be nice to have another villain....but I personally don't think we need more PoR/RD representation. It's probably a weak excuse, but I don't really think the games are relevant enough. Ike seemed like a bit of a stretch already, but he's popular so that was understandable I guess.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Uh, yes, Anna is relevant. Relevancy isn't limited to important plot roles.
Umm... Ya it is. Relevancy is pretty much just how important the character is. And you're yet to tell me how she's relevant besides, "shes been in all FE games" which is hardly true because most her appearances are just as the shopkeeper sprite which means nothing, and she's only playable in a few games.

That moveset I linked is just one idea, but given the nature of Anna, you can basically give her any weapon that exists in Fire Emblem as part of a moveset, making her potential as a Smash fighter more or less infinite.

Yeah, Ike's Ragnell has a projectile too, and we can see where that went. The Black Knight is a heavily armored Sword user. Chrom wasn't added because he'd be "just another Sword user." How is the Black Knight different? And wtf do you even mean when you say his sword has "disjoint"?
So she has the same potential as robin? Great... And infinite potential? Lol, no. You're just making this up to try and make anna seem good now.

So what you're telling me is Anna has infinite potential, but the black knight MUST be an ike clone for absolutely no reason? Brilliant.

Also are you trying to say Ike is a bad character? Because I think he's the most popular FE fighter. Honestly why Ike has no projectile I don't know, I think they wanted to keep in roy's B (because that's basically what eruption is.)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
**** it.

I want Largo.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Umm... Ya it is. Relevancy is pretty much just how important the character is. And you're yet to tell me how she's relevant besides, "shes been in all FE games" which is hardly true because most her appearances are just as the shopkeeper sprite which means nothing, and she's only playable in a few games.

So she has the same potential as robin? Great... And infinite potential? Lol, no. You're just making this up to try and make anna seem good now.

So what you're telling me is Anna has infinite potential, but the black knight MUST be an ike clone for absolutely no reason? Brilliant.

Also are you trying to say Ike is a bad character? Because I think he's the most popular FE fighter. Honestly why Ike has no projectile I don't know, I think they wanted to keep in roy's B (because that's basically what eruption is.)
You don't know what you're talking about if you think Anna lacks relevancy, but there's really no other way to explain it.

Same potential as Robin, what? Anna is a shopkeeper who sells basically anything and has been seen in multiple forms (Trickster, Merchant, riding a pegasus, etc.). A theoretical Smash version of Anna could make use of this to do basically whatever one could want from her.

The Black Knight is a heavy Sword-wielder. There's not much you can do with that that hasn't already been done. It's why Chrom wasn't added. There's also the matter of representation; we already have a Tellius rep. Anna represents the entire series, so that's not a problem for her.

Uh, when did I say Ike was a bad character? I implied nothing of the sort.

Really, this argument is pointless anyway because the Black Knight basically has zero chance of ever being added. He's far from one of the more requested FE characters and lacks much unique potential. Anna is far from likely herself, but at least her chance exists.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Anna's not just a sporadically-known secret shopkeeper, she's the mascot of the series.

She is to Fire Emblem what Pikachu is to Pokémon and what Isabelle nowadays is to Animal Crossing.

At least, that's how I've always interpreted it.

She has the potential to do pretty much anything she likes. Even if her moveset was limited to just her Trickster class from Awakening, she's got plenty of skills at hand: agile swordplay, stealthy roguery, healing staves, teleportation staves, cherry blossom blasts and summoning her sisters for a no-holds-barred sororal beatdown.

At any rate, none of this is going to stop me from voting for her.

Y'all just jealous 'cos I gots Secret Shopkeeps' swag~ :3

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I like FE pretty much, but I believe 4 characters are enough.
You can say that Lucina is a clone, but DK series got not even a clone.

If I vote for a Fire Emblem character some time, they would be : Lyn or Micaiah.
My favorite characer in the series is Rolf, but non-main characters are impossible.
Micaiah have her game already represented by the worked out Ike.
But still ... Micaiah is my most-wanted.
I still would play with Lyn, Eliwood, Sothe and Soren.
The unique thing I like about Roy is : "Roy is our boy" , not worthy.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I say we go IF protagonist. By a mixture of marketing and moveset, I say its our best shot. I mean, Tiki is cool and all, but I doubt that Nintnedo would add her.
IF Protag (Kamui) Pros
>Advertises latest Fire Emblem (Which is technically two games in Japan)
>Unique moveset with Manakete moves
>Dual gender rep ala Robin
>Shows interest West has in Fire Emblem directly to Nintendo
Tiki Pros
>Longstanding Fire Emblem character
>Unique moveset
>Female
>Shows Interest in FE from west
(Would put SMT X FE), but imo, we already have three reps advertising it)
So both have some great pros to them. One of them, however, seems like it would be easier to advertise.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Revamped Roy is the best way to go IMO. He's the 2nd most requested character for DLC in Japan and also very popular in the west. I even made a list of how he can be revamped to be different from Marth and Lucina (albeit moves that have to stay the same).

Jab: Same as Marth's

Forward Tilt: Lunges his sword horizontally like he does in PM.

Up Tilt: Same as Marth's

Down Tilt: Similar to Shulk's down tilt but still has fhe same effect it had in Melee.

Forward Smash: Bring's his sword towards him and then lunges it at his opponent (somewhat similar to the Mii Swordfighter in a way I guess).

Up Smash: Same as Marth's though it will sorta be like his PM Up Smash.

Down Smash: Same as Marth's.

Neutral/Forward/Back/Down Air's: Same as Marth's only because it would be awkward without. The hitbox's would be different though (i'd like to think these attacks will be like the PM versions).

Neutral B: Revamped Flare Blade. It would act the same way it did in Melee only the animation for the attack would be Roy's animation with the Sword of Seals in FE6 (with him holding the sword on fire and then attacking his opponent). If you haven't seen it already, check it out because it looks very hype.

Side B: Roy unleashes a fire-like projectile from his sword. (A fireball-like projectile). His start up animation would be like Ike's Side B and he can charge up the projectile for higher damage and knockback.

Up B: Same Up B from Melee only he moves in a 180 degree angle and has great horizontal recovery and decent vertical recovery.

Down B: His counter from Melee only a bit faster.

Final Smash: Inspired by the FE6 Manga, Roy would unleash a massive Flare Blade that OHKO's anyone within range.

There you have it. A semi-cloned Roy that isn't a "3rd Marth"that people like to think he would be while also being unique and still true to his previous incarnation. Does that change peoples minds about a hypothetical revamped Roy as DLC?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Revamped Roy is the best way to go IMO. He's the 2nd most requested character for DLC in Japan and also very popular in the west. I even made a list of how he can be revamped to be different from Marth and Lucina (albeit moves that have to stay the same).

Jab: Same as Marth's

Forward Tilt: Lunges his sword horizontally like he does in PM.

Up Tilt: Same as Marth's

Down Tilt: Similar to Shulk's down tilt but still has fhe same effect it had in Melee.

Forward Smash: Bring's his sword towards him and then lunges it at his opponent (somewhat similar to the Mii Swordfighter in a way I guess).

Up Smash: Same as Marth's though it will sorta be like his PM Up Smash.

Down Smash: Same as Marth's.

Neutral/Forward/Back/Down Air's: Same as Marth's only because it would be awkward without. The hitbox's would be different though (i'd like to think these attacks will be like the PM versions).

Neutral B: Revamped Flare Blade. It would act the same way it did in Melee only the animation for the attack would be Roy's animation with the Sword of Seals in FE6 (with him holding the sword on fire and then attacking his opponent). If you haven't seen it already, check it out because it looks very hype.

Side B: Roy unleashes a fire-like projectile from his sword. (A fireball-like projectile). His start up animation would be like Ike's Side B and he can charge up the projectile for higher damage and knockback.

Up B: Same Up B from Melee only he moves in a 180 degree angle and has great horizontal recovery and decent vertical recovery.

Down B: His counter from Melee only a bit faster.

Final Smash: Inspired by the FE6 Manga, Roy would unleash a massive Flare Blade that OHKO's anyone within range.

There you have it. A semi-cloned Roy that isn't a "3rd Marth"that people like to think he would be while also being unique and still true to his previous incarnation. Does that change peoples minds about a hypothetical revamped Roy as DLC?
It's a fantastic concept, but if Mewtwo and Doc are anything to go by, Roy will just be a slightly updated and rebalanced version of his Melee incarnation.

Still, clone Roy is better than no Roy, amirite~?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's a fantastic concept, but if Mewtwo and Doc are anything to go by, Roy will just be a slightly updated and rebalanced version of his Melee incarnation.

Still, clone Roy is better than no Roy, amirite~?
But for those 2 cases, Dr. Mario was only brought back because Sakurai didn't want to displease Doc fans by having him as an alt for Mario and Mewtwo was never a clone so him having his old Melee moveset is expected in a way.

Also thanks for that lol. I actually came up with that moveset on the fly but it turned out to be really unique for Roy to make him stand out from Marth and Lucina while not completely changing him. If anyone is going to request Roy, maybe they should also request this moveset so Nintendo will be more open to the idea of having him back and not viewing him as a "3rd Marth" like some fans do.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
But for those 2 cases, Dr. Mario was only brought back because Sakurai didn't want to displease Doc fans by having him as an alt for Mario and Mewtwo was never a clone so him having his old Melee moveset is expected in a way.

Also thanks for that lol. I actually came up with that moveset on the fly but it turned out to be really unique for Roy to make him stand out from Marth and Lucina while not completely changing him. If anyone is going to request Roy, maybe they should also request this moveset so Nintendo will be more open to the idea of having him back and not viewing him as a "3rd Marth" like some fans do.
Thing is, being a clone is what got Doc in the first place. There's no way he'd have returned if they had to make him entirely from scratch; even Lucas, who shares the same basic model specials with Ness, is a trickier deal and took a lot more time than a full-on clone.

Sakurai is also reluctant to change characters' movesets for fear of alienating fans. I'd expect Roy to have some new properties on his moves, like Mewtwo and Lucas, but at the very least, his standard moves will remain much the same and he may get a new Final Smash. Having a different neutral-b is actually a pretty big deal in its own respect: Marth and Lucina's Shield Breaker is so iconic, Roy's Flare Blade would really change how he's played and perceived by fans.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thing is, being a clone is what got Doc in the first place. There's no way he'd have returned if they had to make him entirely from scratch; even Lucas, who shares the same basic model specials with Ness, is a trickier deal and took a lot more time than a full-on clone.

Sakurai is also reluctant to change characters' movesets for fear of alienating fans. I'd expect Roy to have some new properties on his moves, like Mewtwo and Lucas, but at the very least, his standard moves will remain much the same and he may get a new Final Smash. Having a different neutral-b is actually a pretty big deal in its own respect: Marth and Lucina's Shield Breaker is so iconic, Roy's Flare Blade would really change how he's played and perceived by fans.
Sakurai stated that Doc, Lucina, and Dark Pit were all going to be alts for Mario, Marth, and Pit respectively but he didn't want people to be angry about them only being alts which is why the 3 of them are playable in Sm4sH.
There's been a lot of cases were attacks have been changed up. :ganondorf::falco:ring a bell? They were changed to becomes much less like their originators so the same can happen for Roy IMO. Besides, a lot of things are still going to have the same effect as it did in Melee (his Revamped Flare Blade for one would have a different animation but would still act the same way it did in Melee). The only thing that would be radically different about him is his new side B of shooting a fire projectile from his sword which IMO is much better than the Double Edged Dance and makes him unique from not only Marth and Lucina but all other swordsmen as well.

I wouldn't mind Roy being sorta like his Melee self but there's a lot of potential with a revamped moveset like the one I just mentioned because not only is it new but it's still true to his old moveset. Not only that but it will dramatically lessen the complaints from people about Roy because with a Melee moveset, people will moan and groan about Marth V3 and whatnot. With a lot of change ups like that, I think even the people who are opposed to Roy coming back will give him another chance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom