• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
QUESTION:
What does this change really mean? Can someone walk me through it- he stands upright..... that's just indicative of him actually being faster? Stronger? I didn't see enough differences my one time through to validate such a late reveal for him, but the hype and the long wait makes me feel as though it is a massive buff

I think there is enough difference to mark it as coincidental.

If anything, Smash 4 Yoshi is giving me a lot of Yoshi's Story vibes, artwork included.
Yes, yes... color scheme alone is vastly different, and his face has an expression.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm sorry your brain is small.
But really, jokes aside I'm basically saying the Melee and Smash 4 main pictures to represent the character look nothing alike.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The pose is similar enough, I just reckon it's a mere coincidence, as they seem to be basing Yoshi off of Yoshi's Story in this game, where he had a cute walking on the spot animation while he was idle, that looks much like his Smash 4 artwork.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
QUESTION:
What does this change really mean? Can someone walk me through it- he stands upright..... that's just indicative of him actually being faster? Stronger? I didn't see enough differences my one time through to validate such a late reveal for him, but the hype and the long wait makes me feel as though it is a massive buff

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It just means some of his attacks will work better as his posture is now more suited to kicks and other moves. He'll hit harder, and from farther away.

tfhkYOSHI

Smash Rookie
My little wish is for different colour Yoshis to use different coloured eggs. That goes for laid eggs, thrown ones, shields, etc

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Really glad to see Yoshi returning, unfortunately I think this bodes ill for Yarn Yoshi. Has it been delayed? Cancelled? Time will tell....

And I totally see the Yoshi's Story look in his current stance. Also loving the colour scheme they used with him this time around, and they rounded his spikes and kept them to just the back of his head. Glad they kept his Dair, can't wait to play him.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yarn Yoshi was never gonna happen in Smash 4, nor was Yoshi w/ Baby Mario. This won't effect Yarn Yoshi in getting cancelled, it's even got a stage in it's style in Mario Golf World Tour so there's no need to worry. :)

Last edited:

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
I was just curious... How many of you die hard Yoshi mains plan on keeping Yoshi as a main this time around.. I for one am torn.

I played Yoshi for 64 and Brawl because he felt the most comfortable for me. I was able to pull off more early wins with him and this is what made me use him for those games.. I don't really have a strong nostalgic devotion to the character per say.. I used Peach in melee because I felt most comfortable with her in that game.

I am torn now because I don't know if I want to be another low tier hero this time around (with any character) or be a tier *****.. Using a high tier character doesn't seem to be in my blood. But I am tired of constantly having to fight ten times harder for wins after my characters low tier gimmicks are figured out..

Or do I want to just main the character that I have the strongest emotional/nostalgic bond with. (Pac-man/Pit/Peach (SMB2) and I guess now I can say I DO have an bond with Yoshi as a character...

What are you guys doing?

- ptrk

...PRiDE

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I'm sticking with Yoshi no matter how he turns out, my heart's got an unexplainable devotion to him that's never weakened. I guess it could well be shrugged off as nostalgia stemming from an early age, but it feels like it's more than just that to me. Makes me sound weird trying to explain it.>_>
Even regardless of all that, he's always felt super fluid and natural to me so it's impossible for me not to stay loyal to him :laugh:

I'm sure you'll find the right character for you when the game comes out, and it's probably not worth fretting about tiers when you do because they're almost certainly going to shift around overtime anyway, so may as well enjoy the character for the character! :) (If that makes sense.)

Scatz

Smash Champion
Eyyyy, Pride's still alive.

I'll be deciding on whether I want to devote time into him this version depending on his viability. Even then, I'll be a co-main since there's too many characters I want to get good with.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm expecting to see Mega Egg Dozer, a giant egg that cannot be deflected by anything but screen edges, will do massive damage to anything it passes over and will go off screen rather than bounce on its fifth wall collision.
BOOOOORING

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
The only game I somewhat mained Yoshi was Project M, but I have a feeling I will be using Yoshi more often this time around. I'm not what you would call a die-hard Yoshi fan, but it looks to me like he'll at least be in my top 10.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Yarn Yoshi was never gonna happen in Smash 4, nor was Yoshi w/ Baby Mario. This won't effect Yarn Yoshi in getting cancelled, it's even got a stage in it's style in Mario Golf World Tour so there's no need to worry. :)
Hopefully you're right. And I never expected Yarn Yoshi to be a character, I just meant that if they were on track with that game's development (it's supposed to release this year), then the announcement of an exact release date or something would have been a good opportunity to announce Yoshi in Sm4sh. In fact, I thought it was the whole reason they were delaying his reveal for so long.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'm DEFINITELY sticking with Yoshi, even if he ends up becoming the worst character in the game. I'll show people what Yoshi is capable of!

Really though, it's much too early to say Yoshi will be around the bottom of the pack again. He didn't get the 'devestating' kind of gameplay footage other characters got, but that's not to say he can't kick butt. But we'll really have to wait 'til the games are out to really see what he's capable of (just like every other character).

Either way, I'm looking forward to playing this game as Yoshi! There's others I wanna try out of course, but Yoshi is the main one I wanna play! :)

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Perhaps but it's also more current and less out of nowhere.
I said it was what I expected, not what I wanted.
A boring Final Smash that represents by FAR the worst Yoshi's Island game so far, versus the awesome Final Smash that represents Yoshi's fantastic debut?

Sadly I expect the mega Egg too, but I really really REALLY hope that's not the case. IF we get a new Final Smash I certainly hope it's not that one, please keep Super Dragon! That one was so much more fun, visually AND playstyle wise.

So yeah, I'm with keeping Super Dragon, but improving it a little here and there.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I do hope you guys realize that picture of Yoshi 'eating' the Pikmin is probably just that Pikmin just happening to be falling there, lol. I doubt Yoshi can eat them. Would be cool of he could though, but could work against him.

My little wish is for different colour Yoshis to use different coloured eggs. That goes for laid eggs, thrown ones, shields, etc
That's what I'm hoping for too. If not that, then they should at LEAST have every Yoshi color out there available for use.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
A boring Final Smash that represents by FAR the worst Yoshi's Island game so far, versus the awesome Final Smash that represents Yoshi's fantastic debut?

Sadly I expect the mega Egg too, but I really really REALLY hope that's not the case. IF we get a new Final Smash I certainly hope it's not that one, please keep Super Dragon! That one was so much more fun, visually AND playstyle wise.

So yeah, I'm with keeping Super Dragon, but improving it a little here and there.
What if he turns into yarn yoshi annnnnnnnnnnnnnd.................

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hello my fellow Yoshi brethen! I'm new here and very glad that Yoshi was finally revealed yesterday. I haven't noticed anything drastically so far and I'd like to know what changes you guys have noticed so far and what you'd like to see from him. From what I've been reading, it seems that Yoshi has more control of his egg throw and that his dash attack has been changed, which were the two things I wanted most. He needs better approach options.

And he's absolutely ADORABLE! I hope Super Dragon Yoshi comes back as his final smash and that it's not a Giant Egg throw or anything like that.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I made a thread that shows changes that I've noticed so far. http://smashboards.com/threads/yoshi-evolution-moves-and-all.352038/

His egg throw has only been shown with no holding of the button for Special moves which usually gives it more height and distance depending where you're angling it. Otherwise it seems the same outside of maybe speed of it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He can eat Pikmin, if you guys haven't seen that, already.
Don't think he was eating the pikmin, prolly just one of those pictures where they want to make a little joke out of it.
Like for example the banana peel from Diddy on his nose, tripping from that item has been shown to be around still cause of a lucario image while under Villager's tree. So again very likely it's just Olimar landing from a jump while the Yellow pikmin is still in the air.

Edit: oh, person above me pointed that out. Nvm

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yoshi I'll play only like I have done in the previous smash games.
Depending if he's, somehow, Trash tier like ganon in Brawl, I might possibly use Greninja or Lucarioas main while Yoshi on the side.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Possibly... but let's not be against the idea, altogether. I'd rather be optimistic about anything related to Yoshi-buffing and anything related to Olimar-nerfing. :p

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
...her?
This is getting old.
I'll have a look when I get back home. :)

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
These guys have no idea what the flying **** they're talking about lol.
Is this Smash Cast actually Project:M cast? Cause they honestly think Yoshi has kept the same U-tilt since Smash 64. They're also so boring I almost fell asleep, music playing prolly helped though.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Strictly speaking, we don't know that, right? I mean, they really could have made Egg Toss some sort of derpy toss like the short ones we've seen. Super unlikely, but possible.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Who knows, we'd need to wait for more images of Yoshi until the next time they have a video for the next one or so characters they're gonna reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom