• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

gamer8

Smash Lord
That Ben guy (the one who said Yoshi was top tier) was found out to be a fraud so we shouldn't think about what he said, let's just wait for release. I hope Yoshi is strong because he deserves it imo but I understand your concern for him being too popular. I'll still play him no matter what though.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Audino who ben is anyways, I just know there was a tweet about Yoshi's USmash being like Melee fox's and his Uair being like falcon's knee if we hit it with a sweetspot.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It does the electric effects, but mostly means hits like a ***** when sweetspotted. But wonder if that means Uair is also weak like if u barely hit with falcon's knee and it does next to no damage tho.

Depster

Smash Champion
Think of the combo potential it would have though... sour spot falling uair to utilt to a smash or sweet spotted up air!

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
Straight outta Famitsu.

I already knew my colour was back for sure, but I'm still kinda bummed that they didn't take the extra little step to add white and orange, let alone brown. It'd take waaaay less effort than the alternate costumes that some characters are getting.

They should pull a Mario Kart 8 and let us get more Yoshies by pre-purchasing Smash DLC. :yoshi64:

Jecux

Smash Cadet
Straight outta Famitsu.

I already knew my colour was back for sure, but I'm still kinda bummed that they didn't take the extra little step to add white and orange, let alone brown. It'd take waaaay less effort than the alternate costumes that some characters are getting.

They should pull a Mario Kart 8 and let us get more Yoshies by pre-purchasing Smash DLC. :yoshi64:
I'm little bit confused that White or Brown didn't get in while Little Mac gets 16 alts and probably Wario gets the same treatment too. Still those new alts look great!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
White I'm not sure why, but brown, while a color yes, was only in like... two games and not available to play. One being Paper Mario where he's just a village Yoshi in the background. Another being Yoshi's story but only that, and even then when we all saw it as a kid we most likely mistaken it for Orange.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
So... Which colors do you guys main?

And am I the only one here who makes their preferred color into an individual OC? (Yoshi's one of the only characters you can really do that with :p)

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
So... Which colors do you guys main?

And am I the only one here who makes their preferred color into an individual OC? (Yoshi's one of the only characters you can really do that with :p)
I main the main green Yoshi, and I too have a Yoshi OC :) (green)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I main Light Blue to match the huge plush I have of him. I didn't really have plans to make him a full OC at first, or at least I didn't have him fleshed out (meaning I was having trouble with his name and even gender and stuff), but then people kept misreading my username as "Saik Yoshi" and the rest is history.

Last edited:

Scykoh

Smash Cadet
I would very much love to have a gathering pool of various Yoshi footage from Smash 4. If anyone has links to video footage, be it YouTube, stream archive, etc. please share! It's also worth asking, what's the best place for this -- here, or its own thread?

Here's a match video featuring Yoshi to get things started.

No clue how to use spoiler tags or I'd throw it in there, sorry!

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
I spent an hour writing down all of the "tips" involving Yoshi that I've seen on the demo so far. Nothing groundbreaking, but I may as well share it all anyway just in case someone's curious. I didn't even know the little tidbit on the Yoshi bomb. It's probably not new, I just never noticed. Huh.

Yoshi charges up for a moment and then delivers
a powerful headbutt. Hit an opponent from
above, and they'll fly down with a meteor effect.

This move grabs opponents with Yoshi's tongue
and traps them in an egg. They'll take less damage
while trapped, but you can hit them all you like!

The more damage Yoshi's foe has accumulated,
the longer they'll be stuck as an egg. They can
escape faster by wiggling.

The angle Yoshi's egg travels depends on the
direction you press just before the egg is thrown.
Push backward to throw straight up.

How hard Yoshi throws the egg depends
on how long you hold the button down. Tap
for a light throw or hold for a powerful one.

The damage and launching power
of the Yoshi Bomb are both a little
higher when used on the ground.

This move turns Yoshi into an egg that rolls
along the ground. The faster it goes, the more
powerful it'll be. Just beware of getting grabbed!

You can start this move in the air,
but you won't deal any damage
until you hit the ground.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thanks! My apologies for not seeing that thread sooner.
Do not worry about it, and thank you very much for the contribution! I've updated the thread now.

http://smashboards.com/threads/yoshi-gameplay-footage-thread.362480/
But hasn't been updated in awhile nor any posts to keep it at the top.

Also wow, I.
Does anybody else see how Yoshi gains absolutely no air on that second egg toss?
We have like no recovery.
It's not just you, this is well...shock factor. It looked like we'd keep the Brawl-2nd hop with everything we'd seen of him up to the point of release. Maybe his double jump sky rocketing will help make up for it though...

I spent an hour writing down all of the "tips" involving Yoshi that I've seen on the demo so far. Nothing groundbreaking, but I may as well share it all anyway just in case someone's curious. I didn't even know the little tidbit on the Yoshi bomb. It's probably not new, I just never noticed. Huh.

Yoshi charges up for a moment and then delivers
a powerful headbutt. Hit an opponent from
above, and they'll fly down with a meteor effect.

This move grabs opponents with Yoshi's tongue
and traps them in an egg. They'll take less damage
while trapped, but you can hit them all you like!

The more damage Yoshi's foe has accumulated,
the longer they'll be stuck as an egg. They can
escape faster by wiggling.

The angle Yoshi's egg travels depends on the
direction you press just before the egg is thrown.
Push backward to throw straight up.

How hard Yoshi throws the egg depends
on how long you hold the button down. Tap
for a light throw or hold for a powerful one.

The damage and launching power
of the Yoshi Bomb are both a little
higher when used on the ground.

This move turns Yoshi into an egg that rolls
along the ground. The faster it goes, the more
powerful it'll be. Just beware of getting grabbed!

You can start this move in the air,
but you won't deal any damage
until you hit the ground.
Thanks for taking the time out to do this, even if there's not necessarily anything new to us it's still neat to have around for curiosity's sake, plus newcomers who wanna try Yoshi will be able to make use of it.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It kinda did sometimes. Just 2 hops in Smash 4 compared to technically 5 (even if the 5th one is like Smash 4's 3rd one, practically no vertical recovery) It's still more than Smash 4.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Smash 4 looks like you only need 1-2 upBs to make it back. Nothing to worry about imo.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Anyone knows if there's taunting in the 3DS version?
I am getting kinda worried here, I want to see Yoshi chasing after his tail after I KO someone.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
What's an OC?
"Original/own character", but the more accurate term here is actually "FC" which is "fan-character". So basically in this case we're talking about fan-made Yoshi characters, people often dress them up differently or add accessories or features to make them unique. Just a fun little thing to express yourself artistically with sometimes.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I was gonna give Saik a scarf at first, but then I thought that was too much. He still has a small scar on his nose, though, only because the plush he was based on had a split seam when I bought it that I had to sew shut.

Depster

Smash Champion
"Original/own character", but the more accurate term here is actually "FC" which is "fan-character". So basically in this case we're talking about fan-made Yoshi characters, people often dress them up differently or add accessories or features to make them unique. Just a fun little thing to express yourself artistically with sometimes.
Ok cool. You guys seemed to be referencing something like that but I wanted to be sure. I personally also am excited for Yoshi! Of course, I'm just excited for the game haha. Also, Gashi totally had my back on YouTube the other day. Didn't even matter or was the least bit serious, but still lol.

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
vods.co has been updated for Smash 4 footage, which is nice. This page in particular is gonna be pretty useful, I think.

This is the only set so far that I've seen of Raptor. Was there more on stream?

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
FFS, Yoshi looks SO damn good!!!
And he's not available in the friggn demo! Lockin' in Pikachu... i cri evrytim...

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I decided to boycott the demo soley because it doesn't include Yoshi :< He's gotta be the first character I play.

Also it's great to see Raptor playing.

AirJay

Smash Amatuer
NNID
jordaniscold
3DS FC
0877-0255-3596
Yoshi does look great in this game i love how he plays now but i am going to miss DJC egg lay though :(

gamer8

Smash Lord
Was anyone watching Zero's stream earlier? He went against Zudenka, his Yoshi was looking incredible. I can't wait to get my hands on Yoshi.

Top Bottom