• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Yikarur

Smash Master
In 2 weeks is Gamecom in germany. There will be a 3DS Tournament with the final being held on the WiiU On-Stage.

I'm really looking forward to this but I will probably not take Yoshi if I participate in the tournament because I genereally want to win and I don't want to "re-choose" the character if I reach the final.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Wanna bet it was a Koopa scientist who came up with that classification?

...though somehow I doubt it, considering "yoshisaur" translates into "righteous lizard / lizard of good faith".

Maybe they see them as a Majin Buu-like creature. Meaning they know they have good intentions/are ignorant of their actions, but they're still terrified of them and for very good reason.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I kinda remember that since people were randomly doing dashes then easily turning around to do Usmash.
So yeah while not new, it's nice everyone can do this.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
How is everyone? I survived 5 days at gamescom and about 2-3 Hours of Smash 4 gameplay :D

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
How is everyone? I survived 5 days at gamescom and about 2-3 Hours of Smash 4 gameplay :D
I'm trying really hard not to get jealous of you guys getting to play Smash 4 Yoshi before me ;A; Out of curiosity, who else did you use? And how comfortable is the 3DS version to play?

Yikarur

Smash Master
The 3DS Version ist ok; I had problems with Tap-Jump and the default shoulder buttons not reflecting my Button layout but I enjoyed the experience.

I used every character except Sonic at least once. Game is really awesome. Thinking about buying a japanese 3DS to get the game early.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I honestly wish I had a chance to play Smash 4. 3DS for Yoshi solely or not.
Cause again, less than 30 seconds to try 3ds, then only 1 2 minute match with greninja with classic controller.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Here I am just hoping SSF2 Yoshi will be similar enough to SSB4 Yoshi for my practice to carry over.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Looks like we've got different coloured Yoshi's coming to MK8, this'll be really neat.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
They're already available if you preorder!

upload_2014-8-28_13-41-33.png

Probably going to stick with classic green though for the most part ;D

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Looks like I will just be using Yoshi to unlock Pac-Man now.. I am a one main type of guy and Pac-Man represents my childhood more accurately than Yoshi.. I will miss him.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yoshi still appears to have his Brawl walking and running animations, disappointing since I was hoping he'd take on some animations from the sports games or something being modernized and all :( (Still looks weird him walking and running hunched over, then suddenly standing super-upright and tall)

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Sakurai's upped the palette swap count from 6 to 8, looks like we might be getting more Yoshi colours! More likely than not they'll be black and white rather than purple or orange due to their popularity.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Think they opted out for super dark blue yoshi to be used over purple yoshi since they added in both black/white. And knowing the world, u definitely don't wanna add only one of those two colors to the game.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi

Just got this jumbo Yoshi yesterday, for size reference his shoe=size of a regular 3DS

He's super squishy and very top heavy, his head keeps falling fowards cause of it :laugh:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Oh, we're posting our Yoshi plushies now?

This big guy was the last thing I ever got from Blockbuster before it shut down, and the reason I main this color in SSB/MK8. I basically treat him like a prince.

He WAS a backpack, but I cut off the straps because they kept getting in the way of snuggling. So now he's a giant cuddly hand puppet.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Keep posting them guys!>w<

Also some great news, there's reports that Yoshi feels top-tier in this game! :D Most of us would've mained him due to character pride regardless where he placed on the tier list but this is just really encouraging. At the same time however, I hope he's not absolutely spammed everywhere so us true Yoshi mains stand out and Yoshi remains unique ^^

#yoshicamethrough #characterprideftw

gamer8

Smash Lord
White Yoshi didn't make it guys :( We got Black and Purple though. I'll be using Purple the most I think, how about you?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Confirmation on white yoshi not being in?
dat sucks if true, but either way didn't pay much attention to the videos released two days ago, only the info zipzo posted in the thread.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
It's a long shot, but it'd be nice if white and orange Yoshi's were 'unlockable' costumes as a special exception if that were a thing.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I'm surprised it hasn't been posted but VGbootcamp has confirmed that yoshi can jump out of shield

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yoshi is... Top... Tier?...

...b-b-but I don't want to drop him... :(

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm surprised it hasn't been posted but VGbootcamp has confirmed that yoshi can jump out of shield
http://smashboards.com/threads/yoshi-evolution-moves-and-all-demo-updates.352038/

Yoshi's moveset and lack of an actual upB still makes me think he can't be top tier. But he might be in the reigns of mid of High tier at most.
But also no, you disgust me mang.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yoshi's moveset and lack of an actual upB still makes me think he can't be top tier. But he might be in the reigns of mid of High tier at most.
But also no, you disgust me mang.
Well, if he IS S-tier this time, how will people tell that I main him because I like him and not because I'm trying to cheat or something?

I have very limited and undesirable options when it comes to the people I can play against.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
By putting dedication in the character and performing at decently sized regionals or placing high at nationals so you're not just another person on the bandwagon.
Which eventually, after some amount of success or even just first tournament win and get interviewed by commentators. Possible question of if you actually like the character or just choosing anything to win and you can answer from there.

rly not that hard, and you rly shouldn't care if people hate you for playing Yoshi anyways after the years of being bottom of the table along with being one of the most hated characters despite never being a national threat in brawl/melee until amsa finally popped up.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi

Definitely understand how you feel here, I've had the same concerns about people viewing us devoted Yoshi mains as "just another top tier main" like most Brawl MKs, but we've got character pride and love, and we've been here before we knew he'd be good, so people can't use that against us. It's sad that people will try to put you down for using a character because they're either too good or not top tier >_>

Scatz

Smash Champion
People will do that whether you like it or not. Stop worrying about them, and play the character(s) that make you enjoy the game.

Top Bottom