• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yoshi's Wooly World is super easy.

Adorable as **** tho.

Much better as a Co-op game cuz team kill shenanigans. I beat the game by myself and, while heavily entertaining due to the visuals and absolute cuteness overload, breezed through it aside from like 2-3 parts where I had to stop autopiloting and actually think a little for, but when I sat down for a second playthrough with the gf and started purposefully screwing around, it was amazingly fun, highly recommend as a Co-op game, somewhat recommend as Solo.

Imo:
9/10 Co-op
6/10 Solo

Maybe even like 9.5, it was some of the best in person co-op gaming Ive ever had honestly.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I've been told the same thing about woolly world, co-op makes it fun. Seems like it'd be the last couple kirby games that's been on the Wii or DS (amazing mirror squeak squad etc.)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I ****ing love playing Co-op platformers with my friends. I've gone through some NSMB's and 3D World, as well as Return to Dreamland with the maximum amount of players.

The Mario games are great because it's just SO easy to kill your friends. Or to just ruin their hopes and dreams by blocking their only chance to do that cool thing they wanted to do by speed running the level past it or something. Ahhh, good times.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
So I just had a thought, and it's a meaningless, speculative thought, but bear with me. So we all know that Yoshi got a lot of damage nerfs in Brawl --> SSB4 (eggs 9->6, nair 12->10, etc) to compensate for other buffs in his attributes, frame data, and other attacks. How powerful would Yoshi be in SSB4 if those nerfs were undone? Damage on weakened moves restored, UpSmash having its backward range increased to match the Brawl Up Smash, back air doing 4 swipes instead of 3 while keeping its SSB4 properties otherwise, etc. Would Yoshi turn out to be an OP character, or just really strong, or not that much better at all?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The Damage nerfs was for every character in the game with maybe some random characters (mostly big characters like bowser ganon DK etc.) got damage buffs.
But anyways, the damage nerfs was not just Yoshi only it was a global thing cause >rage
Also his frame data is pretty much the same with some actual nerfs in there like egg lay dair bair and ftilt.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If Sm4sh Yoshi got Brawl bair+egg lay he'd be like the best character in the game lol.

At least top 5.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
We deserve at least our old Pivot Grab back for having such small reward from grabs. Every character's grab game in this game seems to be "balanced" in that way: if the grab has good reward, it'll be bad, if it has small reward, it'll be good, except Yoshi's which is both bad and doesn't reward you equally for how bad it is

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
We deserve at least our old Pivot Grab back for having such small reward from grabs. Every character's grab game in this game seems to be "balanced" in that way: if the grab has good reward, it'll be bad, if it has small reward, it'll be good, except Yoshi's which is both bad and doesn't reward you equally for how bad it is
I never got that memo. I mean there's ZSS on the one end, but Mario, Sheik, Charizard, Falcon all get a lot out of good grabs...

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
ZSS grab is pretty long, a tether offstage, zair to hit people, and can end entire stocks at 0% off a single throw. ZSS grab being bad is the last thing that comes to mind.

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
ZSS grab is pretty long, a tether offstage, zair to hit people, and can end entire stocks at 0% off a single throw. ZSS grab being bad is the last thing that comes to mind.

Maybe he means that the actual frame data on the grab is bad (end lag if you miss ESPECIALLY if it's a pivot grab. A captain falcon can actually falcon punch a missed pivot grab from her lolol). If you want to talk about what you can do after the throw, sure hers is godlike. That's more based on her up air being good and this game being chocked full of roller-coaster death characters. Metaknight, ZSS, and Mii Brawler come to mind.

Yikarur

Smash Master
hey guys. I have an additional motivator to come to the USA.
Look at my sig for further information 8)

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
The US is a big place. Please record for those of us on the wrong side of the continent. :)

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I'd normally jump in at the opportunity to play in an online tournament but I'm already in a crew, plus I'm in Aus so it'd lag :( Best of luck, hope this tournament sees good numbers :)

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
The link isn't working for me, not sure why. It's kind of surprising that Yoshi is placed so low though, especially considering he gets more representation in Japan than other regions, or so I've heard. Maybe they've figured out the matchup better over there and know how to take advantage of Yoshi's weaknesses?

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
I think the Japanese players are too methodical in their approach to this game. Everyone says they play like robots and it seems like it. Yoshi is too much of a fluid character with odd mechanics...

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Japan is much more results based than western since the Brawl days which is why Pit is always high tier over there in both games he's in (cause earth exists), along with playing on only three stages FD BF and Smashville just like Brawl. Only difference between rulesets now cause different game is 2 stocks 6 minutes instead of 10 minutes 3 stocks.

That aside at the beginning western people hyped up Yoshidora for some reason only to realize his results was actually online matches and he almost never entered tournaments so the games he took off top players at the time didn't have much merit to it even if Japan internet is really good. (man I want 9 ping on league too)
Aiba came up but similar to Yoshidora the explorer he didn't take names, only games and maybe top 12 at tournaments. Right now the decent Yoshi's is DIO and Mizutama, DIO being the up and coming Yoshi but still falling short and not doing as much as people think he should be doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDnG882uJuk

I wouldn't have been surprised much if Japan put Yoshi lower around the Pac-man or Tink area since for example Duck hunt/Brood and Yusan have done more over there than Yoshi has, especially Yusan recently. And Some amsa and other greninja's definitely have results, pac-man that low I'm surprised especially since abadango made the list with others.

Here's a post with translation for Yoshi and everyone else though for anyone trying google chromes bad translate on the page.
http://smashboards.com/threads/char...theories-tactics.422864/page-12#post-20431517

Last edited:

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
I wish he'd gone into why he put Ness so low. I don't get his reasoning for putting GnW at B+ tier, either...

The rest of the tierlist is interesting, though. Given how anything after Rosa isn't ordered within tiers, Yoshi would be 15-20th place, which is about where some of us are putting him as well.

Also, I keep seeing more and more Villager recognition. I thought Villager was like B+ ?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Abadango putting Ness below Yoshi is a big surprise to me. GnW has more representation in Japan than in the West, so thats probably why he rates him as such. Anyway according to the translation "[Yoshi] doesn't completely lose against the top tiers but is still nonetheless at a disadvantage. He would become really good with throw combos." I can somewhat agree to this statement, and throw combos at kill % would be a godsend for yoshi. Give back brawl pivot grab plsssss.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I wish he'd gone into why he put Ness so low. I don't get his reasoning for putting GnW at B+ tier, either...

Also, I keep seeing more and more Villager recognition. I thought Villager was like B+ ?
Villager recognition is cause of Ranai.
Songun and multiple random GnW + that Doubles gimmick for his placement.

I honestly don't think there's a single Ness main over in Japan which is why he's where he's at. Hell let's take a moment to take in the fact Ike isn't even on the list.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Ness I feel is only so-so and struggles against fast characters. Sheik/Diddy/Yoshi/Captain Falcon/Fox are all too fast for someone who is just a medium speed like Ness.

G&W in doubles is absolutely silly and should be banned until they change bucket mechanics. (Every attack only fills up 1 charge of the bucket no matter how powerful? Make the bucket launch an actual projectile that can be reflected?)

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
see like, i dont get how ness isn't as popular in japan. doesn't japan give more earthbound love than the US?

heck, theyre even rereleasing mother 3 on the japanese virtual console.

also gnw in doubles is just a gimmick i thought. do they take doubles seriously over there or smth??

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Aerodrome deleted the Yoshi frame data along with his other stuff. Is it happening, PATCH DAY SOON?
I ALWAYS KNEW THE HIGHER UPS HAD INSIDE INFO ON THIS STUFF

Also why is our social of all things dead, we're using our stickies as a social more than this.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I have a 32 man tournament xoming up this sunday. There are some tough opponents but I'm curious if I can beat that ROB this time :(

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I have a 32 man tournament xoming up this sunday. There are some tough opponents but I'm curious if I can beat that ROB this time :(
You got this dude!

Aerodrome deleted the Yoshi frame data along with his other stuff. Is it happening, PATCH DAY SOON?

Also why is our social of all things dead, we're using our stickies as a social more than this.
Not sure, but Yika's data has been stickied posthaste.

There are topics of discussion going on in those threads already while nothing was going on here. =P

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I have not been able to get a full 5 hours sleep since Thanksgiving, so 8 days now.
I even missed the weekly yesterday to practice for TGC5 after not playing for three months to attempt on getting more sleep (and pay rent)
How ****ed am I tomorrow if I enter tgc 5.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
I don't think you'll do that bad. Your only wall (lol) you're gonna hit is if you face the higher tier crowd from Houston. They've all gained loads of experience vs Yoshi thanks to me so they might be privy to your shenanigans.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
ROB gives me trouble as well. It's important to always be cognizant of top and lasers so as to avoid getting damaged racked up over time. Also the dreaded beep boop still works on yoshi so spacing him out and avoiding getting grabbed will help.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

I didn't delete it, the admins deleted it and made it look like I did. lol

They didn't even remove links or anything so who knows what the point was.

Top Bottom