• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Hey guys, I've decided to pick Yoshi back up as a secondary. I mained him in the early 3DS days, and I've hit kind of a bump with Greninja and D3.

I'll definitely be hanging out in this forum a bit more, looking forward to re-learning our dino friend for actual competitive play.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hey guys, I've decided to pick Yoshi back up as a secondary. I mained him in the early 3DS days, and I've hit kind of a bump with Greninja and D3.

I'll definitely be hanging out in this forum a bit more, looking forward to re-learning our dino friend for actual competitive play.
Hi Ludi. Welcome (back)! Interesting to see that a good amount of Greninja players use Yoshi and vice versa. They're my two favorite video game characters so it always makes me happy to see others use them together :)

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
*Drops from sky*
Did you guys know Yoshi is the second youngest out of all the Mario characters in Smash (:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4dk: :4wario2:), with only :4bowserjr:(not counting the Koopalings!) being younger?
*Floats away*

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
*Drops from sky*
Did you guys know Yoshi is the second youngest out of all the Mario characters in Smash (:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4dk: :4wario2:), with only :4bowserjr:(not counting the Koopalings!) being younger?
*Floats away*
How do you mean by that? Well I guess it depends if the green Yoshi from Yoshi's Island is the very same Yoshi that was in SMW/that we see to this day or not. I mean, I'd like to think he is personally, so there's more of a meaningful bond there...but at the same time, it's kind of weird thinking of Yoshi being older than Mario too, especially as Yoshi seems youthful :s It's hard to make this theory come together.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
How do you mean by that? Well I guess it depends if the green Yoshi from Yoshi's Island is the very same Yoshi that was in SMW/that we see to this day or not. I mean, I'd like to think he is personally, so there's more of a meaningful bond there...but at the same time, it's kind of weird thinking of Yoshi being older than Mario too, especially as Yoshi seems youthful :s It's hard to make this theory come together.
Yoshi is younger. It's pretty safe to assume that the Yoshi's Island DS's post credits scene baby Yoshi is the main Yoshi from the Mario series. And since Kamek is unable to track the final Star Child (probably because Yoshi wasn't even born yet) and considering the YI timeline (YI > YNI > YI DS) it means Yoshi is days, even maybe months, younger than the rest of the crew.:4yoshi:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Okay REALEST OF TALK. Why is Pikachu so hyped up? I don't get it.His Neutral isn't that bad and he has a lot of combos but he can't kill for ****. You gotta REALLY work for that. Also a lot of his moves have like negative range.
Same **** for ZSS. Why is she still hyped? She is honestly where we are as a character since imo she has no neutral game and doesn't even have a good enough grab to use as a crutch like other combo characters.
Everyone dropped diddy from their top lists after the nerf just because he isn't a fraud magnet anymore even though he's still a more solid character than a decent number of characters people think are top now.

I just don't understand lol maybe i need some top level videos or something because i'm missing something here.
I imagine Pikachu's meta is much like Sheik's. They land hits, but removing people for good is difficult. Doesn't make Sheik bad, so you can't just dismiss Pikachu for it either.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Pretty much every Yoshi is now abusing the SHAD stuff lol
Got 9th out of 137 I think at TGC2, beat a pretty good Sheik again since he defeated me last time on my turf and almost beat Ultimaterazor too, falcon seems tough cause neither can kill each other with any set ups cuz lol kill set ups.

Problem just being that falcon kills like 50+% earlier tho, game 3 last hit last stock he barely survived a Fair spike Uair chain at 150% on my CP kongo jungle and I lost. Was really close.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well I mean I survived multiple strong hits I would've died on any other stage except maybe wuhu (cause recently someone been stating that wuhu vertical and horizontal bigger than a lot of stages, Kongo included) but out of the 4/5 times the stage saved me from death, the one time it saved him honestly was last stock.

So I think it was a good CP, just unfortunate the entire match it was on my side until the end.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Fair enough, the platforms and angles are solid and us being heavy means the ceiling benefits us too, but idk I just felt like trading kill potential on 2 of our best kill moves wasn't worth it.

ividal

Smash Cadet
just got back from 2 local tourneys where i live, gotta say quite happy since i was able to defeat my hardest MU personally, peach, ended up beating the peach and then he switched to luigi, quite hard i must say, in the other tourney i faced a quite hard ganondorf, first time i faced a GOOD ganondorf on my area, made good use of the low end lag of his up smash and managed to hit me with plenty of Fsmashes, and in finals faced a pretty good shulk, knew how to use his monado arts, specially speed, but ended up beating him, NOT spamming the SHAD nair, had to be a little patient with this matches.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Luigi is such an annoying matchup because I really want to go aggressive on him but I know I can't really lol. Like I just keep having flashbacks to the brawl days where I could Nair through any of his strings and I keep trying to do that like it isn't a brand new game. We have to play a more wait and punish game. Since he wins trades pretty hard at lower precents.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, with the game out for a decent time, I'm curious to see your area's current power rankings (official or your opinion) and see where you stand in the competition. Hawaii does not have an official one yet, but our recent tournament is a pretty reliable indicator for top 10ish so far. Below is my own PR list, #1 and #2 go toe to toe and very rarely drop sets. #3-6 are variable, but I think would put myself probably 5th/6th. I cannot accurately rank #7-10 as they're also close in skill. I want to see the diversity (or lack thereof lawl) in your smash scene :p.
1. VoiD :4sheik:
2. LethalTrilogy :4diddy:
3. DarkMusician :rosalina:/:4sheik:/:4mario:
4. K0rean :4fox:/:4pikachu:
5. Kennypu :4ness:/:4diddy:
6. Dren :4yoshi:
SupermanNinja :rosalina:/:4falcon:
Yasha :4palutena:
Soot :4dedede:/ :4villager:
AnD :4zss:

Going live for a set very soon: http://www.twitch.tv/nakat973
missed it, how'd you do?
http://www.twitch.tv/nakat973/v/4411862?t=2h49m15s with Nikes heavenly voice @ 3:04:40.
Good games against Robin. You punished a lot of his mis-spaced arc fires. I like your use of turn around dash approaches, some thing I needa do more I think.

Luigi is such an annoying matchup because I really want to go aggressive on him but I know I can't really lol. Like I just keep having flashbacks to the brawl days where I could Nair through any of his strings and I keep trying to do that like it isn't a brand new game. We have to play a more wait and punish game. Since he wins trades pretty hard at lower precents.
Yeah for sure, his Dthrow chains are nasty and if we try nair at low percents it just gets shielded into another grab. And at kill percent we worry about Dthrow -> down-b, but thankfully we can smash DI out and drift away from the last hit.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
What ._.
Funnily enough I absolutely hate my voice and that holds me back every time I try to help TO, can't even bring myself to speak up in the slightest <_> As for how it went it did go well, but there was a lot of input lag compared to when I was just playing Nakat or most of the other players in the week unfortunately.
I did take out Nakat's PK thunder recovery with an egg in a game and got a grab release to spike against his Fox though :awesome:

Regarding my state's PR, we're due to finalize it now so it should be very up soon. Good job on 6th Dren!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I just finished not only a pretty good performance at TGC2, I got 4th place in my cities top 10 tournament.
Did pretty well until my last game where I almost got 3 stocked in all 3 games.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Pools my only competition was sheik and Peach.
I could've gone 15-1 but went 14-2 cause Sheik is dumb and annoyed me enough to the point I went 1-1 against peach instead of 2-0, had to do three way tie breaker but they didn't want too and just gave me 1st seed.

Bracket I played a really good bowser (we still **** him btw lol) another sheik, and almost beat razer's falcon (which got first at the tournament). Loser's I played against toon link. I have no idea how to fight him Smash 4 wise, but he felt the same and stronger than Brawl's so I imagine he still ****s us just as hard in this game than he did in brawl.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Idk everyone was saying they couldn't find a use for bair, so I stopped using it for a while. Then I just randomly threw it out because i kept mistiming my upair punish and it killed at some stupid percent lol

Edit:Also I found a kinda cool situational tech. If you get hit by a move while you're sielding close to to edge, you can egg oos to instantly grab the ledge and still throw the egg. So pretty much you can instantly ets to the ledge out of shield.

Last edited:

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
Hey guys, there's a horrifying glitch involving Yoshi and Kirby. Have Kirby eat Yoshi and take his power. Then, get Kirby up to around 70% (or 70% more than what it was at when he ate Yoshi). Then, have Yoshi eat Kirby. If Kirby loses his ability from the damage of being turned into an egg, he won't escape as an egg. He will be a writhing, armless nightmare. He still acts like he's in the egg, and it even has the shell particles when he breaks free. It's creepy.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess you could say Kirby likes to run his mouth.

Also, it's only blue for people using the blue theme.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Realized that playing campy characters and a lot way defensively wasn't my style. Decided thus to try Yoshi again and he feels really accessible. I can worry about using defense as a secondary maneuver and mostly use well-planned offense.

Hey ya'll!

Last edited:

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Realized that playing campy characters and a lot way defensively was my style. Decided thus to try Yoshi again and he feels really accessible. I can worry about using defense as a secondary maneuver and mostly use well-planned offense.

Hey ya'll!
I'm the opposite! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK TILL IT DIES! XD I like to rushdown.

Top Bottom