• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Does anyone know if the point blank Fsmash miss thing was fixed?
Yesterday online I was hitting people with it at point blank range instead of having it miss, it looked like he was able to hit with his neck and upper body, just like it used to back in Brawl.

Depster

Smash Champion
Every time I hit this board, I somehow get reminded why Yoshi boards >>>>> all other boards.
The Blood God should not be taken lightly... Many high tiers were surely smote by his terrifying power. May we all hope for the day the next Blood God shall arise!

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Please test the FSmash you guys.
I currently can't and this would be big news!

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I messed around with it last night in training and couldn't get it to pass through falco, though it may still need more testing.

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
The Blood God should not be taken lightly... Many high tiers were surely smote by his terrifying power. May we all hope for the day the next Blood God shall arise!
MWAHAHA! Yessssss... And then, after mercilessly pummeling his competition, the blood god ate them and made BREAKFEST!

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I'm primarily a Bowser Jr. player (it's a love-hate relationship), but I started playing Yoshi recently and I like him a lot. I don't think that I'm great with him yet, but I'm considering using him. His weaknesses are so much less than Bowser Jr. that if things work out (idk if they will or not), he may end up being a secondary or a main in the future.

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
I'm primarily a Bowser Jr. player (it's a love-hate relationship), but I started playing Yoshi recently and I like him a lot. I don't think that I'm great with him yet, but I'm considering using him. His weaknesses are so much less than Bowser Jr. that if things work out (idk if they will or not), he may end up being a secondary or a main in the future.

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
There was a skype group for yoshi, wasn't there? i remember reading it on the forum somewhere. Could anyone give me an invite?

iamadruid2

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Okay REALEST OF TALK. Why is Pikachu so hyped up? I don't get it.His Neutral isn't that bad and he has a lot of combos but he can't kill for ****. You gotta REALLY work for that. Also a lot of his moves have like negative range.
Same **** for ZSS. Why is she still hyped? She is honestly where we are as a character since imo she has no neutral game and doesn't even have a good enough grab to use as a crutch like other combo characters.
Everyone dropped diddy from their top lists after the nerf just because he isn't a fraud magnet anymore even though he's still a more solid character than a decent number of characters people think are top now.

I just don't understand lol maybe i need some top level videos or something because i'm missing something here.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Okay REALEST OF TALK. Why is Pikachu so hyped up? I don't get it.His Neutral isn't that bad and he has a lot of combos but he can't kill for ****. You gotta REALLY work for that. Also a lot of his moves have like negative range.
Same **** for ZSS. Why is she still hyped? She is honestly where we are as a character since imo she has no neutral game and doesn't even have a good enough grab to use as a crutch like other combo characters.
Everyone dropped diddy from their top lists after the nerf just because he isn't a fraud magnet anymore even though he's still a more solid character than a decent number of characters people think are top now.

I just don't understand lol maybe i need some top level videos or something because i'm missing something here.
I think Pikachu is hyped up because of his gimping prowess and his crazy disjointed hitboxes on his d-air, f-air, F-smash...you know. He's incredibly quick and nimble. As for Zamus, she's got really strong aerials and throws that setup the immensely strong down-b and up-b. Dem kicks. Other than that, nothing too hard. Atleast they both die quickly to Yoshi. :)

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

Quick Attack is amazing. Fast, safe, can start combos, goes far and is one of the best recoveries. This is one of the huge things that makes Pika top.

Neutral is far from not bad. It's excellent. Quick Attack + T-jolt apply a lot of pressure, D-tilt spaces well and n-air is a fast, safe aerial for him.

Killing isn't too hard for Pika, though I'll admit that he has to fish for them on ocassion. A bit better than Sheik though. Pivot F-smash is great on a read and has solid range. U-smash is very fast and hits hard and is his best kill option from a dash. Thunder is there and D-throw > Thunder is hugely underrated as a kill combo and I rarely see it used over U-throw > Thunder for whatever reason. D-throw works at slightly later percents, but the window for the combo to work is higher than U-throws. They are also character-dependent. Dash Attack is an emergency kill option at high percents.

Edgeguarding also needs to be taken in consideration when getting kills with Pika. His excellent recovery allows him to go deep for an edgeguard with B-air, F-air, N-air or Thunder offstage and B-air also stage spikes well. Though this doesn't apply specifically to Yoshi nearly as much thanks to superarmor double jump and excellent air speed, it's definitely a factor for most characters.

Though he isn't seeing as much representation at tournaments yet, I'm pretty convinced that the critter is Top 5. In my personal list, he's 3 or 4, but I won't get into that.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Quick Attack is amazing. Fast, safe, can start combos, goes far and is one of the best recoveries. This is one of the huge things that makes Pika top.

Neutral is far from not bad. It's excellent. Quick Attack + T-jolt apply a lot of pressure, D-tilt spaces well and n-air is a fast, safe aerial for him.

Killing isn't too hard for Pika, though I'll admit that he has to fish for them on ocassion. A bit better than Sheik though. Pivot F-smash is great on a read and has solid range. U-smash is very fast and hits hard and is his best kill option from a dash. Thunder is there and D-throw > Thunder is hugely underrated as a kill combo and I rarely see it used over U-throw > Thunder for whatever reason. D-throw works at slightly later percents, but the window for the combo to work is higher than U-throws. They are also character-dependent. Dash Attack is an emergency kill option at high percents.

Edgeguarding also needs to be taken in consideration when getting kills with Pika. His excellent recovery allows him to go deep for an edgeguard with B-air, F-air, N-air or Thunder offstage and B-air also stage spikes well. Though this doesn't apply specifically to Yoshi nearly as much thanks to superarmor double jump and excellent air speed, it's definitely a factor for most characters.

Though he isn't seeing as much representation at tournaments yet, I'm pretty convinced that the critter is Top 5. In my personal list, he's 3 or 4, but I won't get into that.
Gonna preface by saying thanks for swooping in and giving me some info, but see I still can't reaaaally see these tools making him strong enough to be top 5
See yeah QA is a strong combo starter and it has nice range, but without slopes and platforms its not really that safe. And Safety is a pretty important part of having a strong neutral game imo. Yoshi and CF are probably my 2 most used characters, and if Pika really tries to get cute and QA at me, I can shield and dash grab it 100% of the time, even if he uses the second one as a retreat. Most characters should at least be able to dash attack it oos. And the fact that it has to be started up at a slightly further range than say shieks fair, its kind of easy to see comming and shield despite how fast it is. Jolts are the reason I said his neutral is fine though. It's safe and versatile, can be used aggressively or defensively, can start up his combo game on hit depending on range and lets pika get in despite his meh range.
His strong combo game is a given though I can't take that away from him.
But yo his kill power lol. Like I know that he CAN kill and that he has kill moves, but I'm looking at the greater picture and the killpowers of everyone else around him. Aside from probably Diddy now, he has like the least kill potential of all the combo heavy characters people are throwing in their tops. It's cause he really set up kills out of his usual stuff, so any time he's going for a kill its so blatant. And more so than being blatant he can't even really start killing until late. Like 99% of the time I see a Pikachu kill something, it's a strong contender for the hardest read i've seen in my life.

Probably going to have to agree to disagree. I think that more combo heavy characters are too hyped at the moment because of how good diddy was. Playing safe, racking up damage, and killing were pretty much the exact same playstyle for him, but now every time someone sees a character that can combo well off a throw they assume it works exactly like how diddy did so all of a sudden that character is top 5.
I think once the defensive meta develops a bit more we'll have a better idea of what the top looks like.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Pika's QAC also, to my knowledge, greatly expands his hurtbox, making him vulnerable to any attack. Like, if you just throw out a move while he does it they'll trade.

ividal

Smash Cadet
use the fact that falcon is very easy to make combos cuz of him being a heavy character, attacks you should avoid are b-air, the knee and u-airs

Also i recommend using the u-tilt to Usmash to rack up some damage

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
His approaches are pretty weak, but he can easily convert any hit confirm into a solid string. Also just about every move he has is a kill move(all of his aerials minus nair, all of his smashes, all of his specials, I killed with dash attack once, and backthrow near the edge). His dash grab is ****ing godlike. It comes out fast, and it has ridiculous range due entirely to falcons dash speed. It is his best approach option in my opinion. Watch for it. His Side b is a HARD roll punish. When I play falcon, I use it as a mixup for my dash grab on roll reads. It kills at like 130 without rage. If you see him starting it up, do not try to spot dodge or roll it, just hold shield.

Play mostly passive and react to his approaching. You can pivot grab any of his approach options, but don't whiff. If you're real enough you can upsmash/uptilt anything comming from the air. You can dair his up b for a cheesy gimp, but Idk if i'd risk that without practice.

TLDR: Let him come to you more than the other way around, and make sure to pivot grab/uptilt/upsmash accordingly. Don't get hit because he can and will turn that into 60% of damage if you let him. He's gimpable but it might not be smart to do without practice.

It's not that hard of a matchup but if you let him get in your head it could get carried away, but that works both ways.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thanks a bunch, especially taking into account the short notice. I get caught out a lot by his Uairs huge range and need to learn to respect it, B reverse landings are a life saver here when trying to avoid them and land.
Juggling Falcon is incredi-fun and it's good to be able to take advantage of his recovery, but I'm probably a bit too keen on doing so and need to make him approach more as you said, rather than of always rushing at him.

---

Fun fact: Yoshi's reveal was over a year ago now...where did the time go?!o__o

Last edited:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Combobreaker:
No changes to Yoshi's FSmash. Still no hitbox right in front of us.

Still like it though.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I've been landing Fsmash a lot lately.

No not saying some secret buff to Nintendo being competent and fixing a lot of peoples Fsmashes to finally hit if hugging their bodies, just been landing it more than Usmash or any other moves. Might use this more often.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
So I'm in the most stressful semester of my life right now, but when it ends, what's the best way for me to start practicing this character? I've been playing him online mostly (in For Glory) and I plan to start practicing him with friends, but what's the most important details to start perfecting?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
To be honest, for glory is never good to practice. All it does is make you accustomed to wifi lag and pick up bad habits cause all the FG players are bad.

As corny and dumb as it sounds, the best way to get better at the game is honestly just play it a lot. So get in as many friendlies as you can and just be sure to try and pick up habits from your friends.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Understand the theory of Smash and the basis behind the metagame in general, then learn how it applies to Yoshi. I wrote something about that stuff recently: http://smashboards.com/threads/colors-of-yoshi-metagame-discussion-and-tips.395715/#post-19002763

There's been good feedback and it needs to be updated with more stuff, but it's a good start.
When I get the chance, I'll check it out. Thanks.

To be honest, for glory is never good to practice. All it does is make you accustomed to wifi lag and pick up bad habits cause all the FG players are bad.

As corny and dumb as it sounds, the best way to get better at the game is honestly just play it a lot. So get in as many friendlies as you can and just be sure to try and pick up habits from your friends.
This issue is that I live in a pretty isolated community (only a few players nearby, and most of them are Melee), so wi-fi is usually my best option. Maybe once summer hits, I'll have more time. I plan to try out Anther's ladder, but yeah, I know that FG is not great. I just use it when I'm testing a character out. Online in general has its issues, but it's a good option for where I am right now. Gonna try to branch out though.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It's fine to do online, just not For glory. The internet exists so there's people on 1. Smashboards 2. Anther's ladder and 3. Yoshi mains here that play other characters to abuse Yoshi's everything to make you get a feel of the character more and know what to do and what not to do.

Just saiyan, not saying you're in the wrong for doing FG. Just that there's better options and it's not the best one. But FG is still just that, an Option.
Silver lining to it is every 20 or so fg people there's 1 gem in there.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If you have no major objections, learning to play a bit of Melee with those local players might even help. The core fundamentals of Smash carry over very well between games, so as long as you don't get lost in the tech skill, getting better at Melee should help you improve in Smash 4.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
So i've been testing out SH air dodge ->Nair and funny enough it really works, and often you can follow up with a Utilt after the Nair.

It's a very useful gimmick.

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Silver lining to it is every 20 or so fg people there's 1 gem in there.
I usually back out in matches when I'm winning to much. I try to look for people who are at my level or better (which is easy, as I'm pretty mediocre). But yeah.

If you have no major objections, learning to play a bit of Melee with those local players might even help. The core fundamentals of Smash carry over very well between games, so as long as you don't get lost in the tech skill, getting better at Melee should help you improve in Smash 4.
I like Melee casually, but the only character I use is Jiggles, who I find pretty unorthodox in that game. I guess the basics in spacing and reading and the like carry over and I'll play Melee from time to time, but I'd rather be playing Smash 4 to improve at Smash 4, just for the game specific mechanics.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I usually back out in matches when I'm winning to much. I try to look for people who are at my level or better (which is easy, as I'm pretty mediocre). But yeah.

I like Melee casually, but the only character I use is Jiggles, who I find pretty unorthodox in that game. I guess the basics in spacing and reading and the like carry over and I'll play Melee from time to time, but I'd rather be playing Smash 4 to improve at Smash 4, just for the game specific mechanics.
Tbh, the most important aspect of using Yoshi is Reading DI. You need it to land eggs, you need it to rack any of our damage, you need it to make the most of our horrible throws, you'll need it to try to follow up on egglays...we just always ALWAYS need to try reading DI, because knowing where people might go is one of the only reasons people think Yoshi has a neutral game lol.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Ah, video game reading. If that were taught in school, I'd probably be considered dyslexic :p
Gotta keep working, I guess, haha

D

Deleted member

All of a sudden, this makes a lot of sense. But what country would Yoshi be from (thinking parallels to real life examples)?

Top Bottom