• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi is Serious Business!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Thanks to Bombco for pointing out that I've gotten your attention.

So, we've been stepping up Yoshi's game for quite a while, and I've got a few questions for everyone just to satisfy my own personal curiosity. These are simply to generate some in-depth discussion about our favorite character. I don't think there are any "right" or "wrong" answers here unless the question is something like, "Can Sheik chaingrab Yoshi?" Obviously, the answer is GG.

I thank everyone in advance for reading and responding, and I hope we get some awesome discussion going with this. Without further ado, here we go:

1] Do you consider Yoshi a power character? He is, pound for pound, one of the strongest characters in the game, I think. He has plenty of natural speed and his DJC only makes him that much faster at lower altitudes. He has trademark lag that follows the attacks of power characters and he also is plenty big enough and weighty enough to be considered one. However, power characters are known for nonstop offense and fairly weak defenses (save for Bowser or Falco)--Yoshi, however, excels more at defense and exploiting openings/weaknesses rather than creating them. Again, this is how I see it--please feel free to argue against this.

2] Where do you feel Yoshi has his worst matchups? I, personally, find the lower/bottom tier matches to be the most difficult, not because of the SWF "novelty effect," but more because lower-tiered characters I find are more gimmicky and rely more on trash % KOs than top tiers do (again, with the exception of Falco). Beating top tiers certainly requires more skill and an infinite wellspring of patience and hard work. However, do you find fighting Mewtwos, Pikachus, and the like more challenging at all for any reason?

3] Yoshi's Up+B is broken tier. This is not up for discussion.

4] How do you like Yoshi's air game? I love it, save for the gimped neutral aerial--even then, I've learned twist that move in a way to make it workable in my playstyle without the vulnerability. All aerials are quick, strong, and very comboable; these are qualities many characters' aerials don't have (for all aerials, that is). I've also been working real hard on some DJC stuff lately and more and more, punishing missed techs (hard falls), tech rolls, and predictable recoveries has become so much easier. Not to mention the defensive properties of the DJC which I have been experimenting with (accidentally, admittedly), Yoshi in the air is quite scary if he's not predictable.

5] How about his ground game? We all love his shield (I do, at least), and while his grab game is an acquired taste, it leads to some very destructive stuff for midweights and fast-fallers. Now, we all know his tilt game is really good (some have even expressed to me that it's Yoshi's strongest aspect), but how often have you used tilts as a go-to thing, and not just in links in combos or as a last resort/surprise move? The one thing I don't like about Yoshi's tilt game is that overuse of them kinda leaves him stuck to the floor. Some characters can just naturally flow from tilts to grabs or to shield or even to the air--I just don't think it's in Yoshi's nature to achieve this effect, though I could be wrong.

6] In general (that is, matchups aside), how do you feel about tournament stages? Which ones do you feel more comfortable on for Yoshi as a character? Where can you magnify his greatest strengths, regardless of who you're facing? Where can you squeeze the most out of his recovery skills (oddly enough, I prefer smaller stages despite not being able to live longer than 160-180%)? Do stages with walls help you (combos) or hinder you (disrupt KO ability)? Do stages with slopes affect your game play? Just a general question.

7] Smash 64 and Melee are two very different games. One of the reasons Yoshi was so good in 64 was the fact that he could parry with his shielding's invulnerability's frames in tandem with his constant barrage of destructive combos. In 64, offense ruled the day--the better attacker always won. In Melee, the defensive aspects of the game are much more magnified and with Yoshi not being able to jump out of shield, he doesn't really have a counter-attack game, save for the natural twisting of his body. In short, camping wins. The question here is, how do you approach more defensive/campy players (not necessarily characters)? If I were to play you and I had a stock lead and sat at the other end of the stage and did not press any buttons, waiting for your approach, what steps do you take to effectively approach me and not leave yourself too vulnerable? Lower tiers are notorious for having sub par approach games and it's one of my worst areas, in truth, so I'd like to hear what others have to say about this.

Sorry for the long post, but it's just been a while since we all got together and had a real serious pow-wow about the Yosh, and it's always good to hear what everyone has to say. ^_^

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
1) Yoshi is a freaking tank. He's able to take a lot of damage and somewhat counterattack with his double jump.

2) I honestly find the top tier ones harder, cuz of characters like sheik, peach, and falco. I definitely see where you're coming from though. There is really not that much of a gap between some of the higher tier matchups then there is with the rest of the cast. Even supposedly the worst of the worst like mewtwo can be a pain, especially with that cursed d-throw.

3) Agreed

4) It's definitely where Yoshi has the most going for him I believe. His b-air is great for offensive happy players who feel they kind approach any way they please, because Yoshi is so bad. It's also a great combo starter. His u-air is a great juggling and kill move. His n-air is a great kill move at higher percents, and one of my favorite things to do is double jump into this move to counter one of their aerials for a kill. I seemed to get grabbed a lot if I become predictable or rely on this move though. His f-air is wonderful for tech chasing, not to mention a great combo starter. I wish it had less lag though, and many times I wish it'd come out faster like it did in the 64 version. I don't know much about the d-air, but it has caused me to lose a few yoshi dittos. When it connects, it loads up the damage fast. Advice on how to use the d-air would be greatly appreciated. Personally, I don't have the tech skill to use Yoshi's air game to his full potential.

5) Tilts truly are my go to thing on the ground. You're right it can sometimes be difficult to link combos after tilts, except for mayb the u-tilt. The great thing about them though is they get the opponent off of you so you can go back to your defensive style, or they often set up for edgeguards, which Yoshi does really well in my opinion. I will rarely smash unless I'm sure I'm going to hit; the lag is just too much for me. He's also pretty mobile on the ground; he's got decent running speed, decent wavedash length, and you can link the wavedashes fairly quickly. His dash attack is not bad. I hate Yoshi's shield and his grab. They are in my opinion what holds Yoshi back.

6) My favorite counterpick stages are pokefloats and Dreamland 64 (unless I'm fighting Samus, peach, jiggs). I like pokefloats because of the egg spam. I can usually get 50-90% on Marths and Jigglypuffs on just eggs before I get touched if I have the first controller slot. You just have to play smartly and always be fighting for position. If the oppourtunity comes to juggle them or ko them off the side, take it. I like dreamland, because I feel like I can get the most out of my recovery. It's also a fairly big stage in general, which gives me room to move around with my campy/defensive play style.

I personally like stages with walls. It makes it easier to spam eggs if they're trying to appraoch from above the wall, or force them into a u-air. Yoshi can also take a lot of damage and be able to counter pretty well with his double jump. I feel Yoshi will usually give more than he takes except against the space animals and Peach when both are battling right beside a wall.

Slopes definitely affect my gameplay. If I'm on the upper end of the slope, I will use a lot more d-tilts and d-smashes. You will be suprised how good it actually works. If i'm on the lower end of the slope, I will usually b-air or throw eggs.

7) This is one of the weakest areas in my game. I will usually b-air, throw eggs, space out a d-tilt, n-air, or double jump into an n-air or f-air. If you become predictable, you will be in trouble. I also am looking forward to how some of the other players will answer this question.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
1) I've never really considered Yoshi a power character. He has strong smashes... and a strong down B. But other than that, he's full of combo moves really. Keeping your game aerial and making sure you're mobile even while grounded makes him nice and fast. He does have enough power to outlast people though, and that's a big strength of his. Killing Sheik at 70% with downsmash is awesome when you survive to 200% nearly every stock.

2) Yoshi's a bit funny that way. I think mostly its because we all play against top tiers and have formulated good strategies againt them, but we haven't against the low tiers (ie novelty effect). Nevertheless, I have noticed that I find matches like vsing Link or Ylink just as troublesome as vsing Marth or Jigglypuff. *Shrug*

3) Broken tier indeed.

4) Yoshi's air game is what makes him fast and lethal IMO. Everyone says Yoshi is laggy, but I find that as long as you're careful and aerial based, you should have little problem with lag. He has a lot of cool stuff going for him too, like his fast fall being faster than expected and his ability do adjust your air position with DJC. Not to mention DJCCing which can make or break Yoshi in some matchups. (**** fox)

5) Yoshi's tilts are too laggy and too short ranged. I use them for punishing shieldgrabs and comboes. Otherwise... CC d-tilt anyone? Actually, the d-tilt is nicely ranged, so I'll retract that statement for d-tilt. Sometimes its good on people with short grab ranges too, for things like unpunishable f-tilts on the shield or something. I generally don't like them too much, cos they're so laggy.

6) I've already mentioned this really. Against characters with bad recoveries (eg Fox Falco) or predictable recoveries (eg Ganon Sheik) give me DL64 anyday. Otherwise, low ceiling for floaties and levels like FoD when you're afraid of SHFFLers (woo platforms).

7) Depends. You can use nearly anything. Neutral B from a DJC, down B if you think they're gonna try smash you, up B to draw them out, dash attack, dash grab, f-air n-air or b-air SHFFL'd or DJC'd, fakeouts with wavedashes and dash dances. Its up to you really. Just don't expect super special awesome approaches like 'SHFFL nair shine SHFFL upair shine wavedash shine wavedash shine shieldbreak' on Yoshi and you should be ok.

Or you could do like I do, and get close enough that you could surprise them with almost anything, then suddenly switch to defensive and let them come to you. Sort of like in that movie Hitch. You go 90% of the way, let them come the 10%. That lets you use your defences, while making them think they were being defensive.

Ermm.... Yoshi is awesome?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: ...? ¬_¬

Anyway, great reading these responses so far. I've got some follow-up questions for both of you, but I wanna wait to see what some other people have to say first. ^_^

The Killer Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
hmm...I don't really have much to say

1) I think Yoshi is pretty powerful. A lot of his attacks pack a decent punch to them including some of his smashes and aerial attacks.

2) I think Yoshi has some trouble fighting the higher tiers and maybe fighting another Yoshi would be pretty hard too.

3) agree

4) Yoshi's air game is one of the best things about him. He has various ways to fight in the air, he can double jump cancel, and there are those invincible frames in his double jump.

5)Yeah, Yoshi's shield is pretty useful, especially light-shielding. And his d-tilt and d-smash are great.

6) I like the basic stages, but I feel a little more secure if there are walls because they're an extra thing to tech off of to avoid flying away.

7) I would just throw eggs and maybe play some mindgames on them and see if I can get some attacks through to them

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
1) Yes. I believe yoshi is very stong. His down smash. Packs alot of priorty and knockback. I think just about all his move gives good space. He can really effect the oponents body and place. To make those sick combos. Then his air cancel makes him relentless. Able to survive spikes., strats. knees. Anything.(well to some extint)

2)Right now. My yoshi does weak against peach. And puff. I think to get get better at these to matchups. I just need pressure her more into hitting me. And not just be concerned with running. and avoiding hits. I dont have trouble in link battles. Iv faced one of my best friends dan's links the whole 6 somethin span of Melee. So im reall comfortable in the match up.

3)true - but i still love the egg

4) I love his air game. Its the perfect defense. I love getting out of pillars and spike. They have that big How the heck that happend expression. Or the that saved ur freakin life. And like u said. Yoshi's fast and can pull out those good solid combos.

5)I like yoshis ground game. I just wish his grab was all around faster. His sheild can take anything. And his great for countering hits.

6)I do best on big open stages. And platforms. I need room to manuever. Ive done best on final destatination and dream land 64. Fountain of dreams is good too. Oh and pokemon stadium..

7) wow your really askin the questions us yoshi's need. For me when I aproach I might do some shuffled back airs. I'll also wavedash up. do a neutral a the run away. Just to peck at the sheild. Throwing eggs works well too. If someone is camping. Meteros and N airs are usless. They just scream sheild grab. You can try shffl some back airs. Then mixxing it up with a djc tounge. That actually helped me out alot at the tourney. People don't see it comin.
Oh and about wavedashing up then kick. or somethin then go away. Anotherthing that helped me escape the grab was that supersheild animation. They cant grab. Witch means time to punish or escape.

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
1. Hmm... This one's hard. In all of the other Mario games, he's supposed to be the fastest character. It doesn't seem so much in this game. They made him 4th (3rd in PAL) heaviest, yet the only thing strong about him is his smashes. I think they tried to make Yoshi, in this game, a mix of strong, fast, and a good comboer, but not excel in any, just be good i them. So I kinda agree on Yoshi being a strong character.

2. I would think Yoshi, in general, has bad match-ups with anyone that can CG him well, since, to me, if they don't/can't CG you, you just seem to trade hits. And Falco. >_>
I, personally, don't like facing C. Falcons, since even though I CAN gimp kill them, I never seem to be able to, and anytime else, I seem to be improvising, since I feel there's not much I can do except wait for him to mess up.

3. zomg no yoshi's midjump is soooo much brokener

4. Yoshi's air game is one where you don't know what's coming, unless you play Yoshi's all the time. He has one of everything, a damager, dair, a meteor, fair, a powerful sex kick, nair, a juggler, uair, and a combo starter, bair. Yoshi is also extremely manuverable in the air, and even more so with his double jump.

5. Yoshi's ground game is ok. Yoshi's tilts are good, but I see what you mean, Shiri. I feel that I have to force myself to stay on the ground if I ever wish to use one. His smashes are powerful, tilts make nice set-ups. My personal favorite is just a simple d-tilt, and throw an egg behind or in front, depending on where I want them, to make the oppoenent roll which way I want.

6. My favorite has got to be DL64. I like the high ceiling, since (it seems like) opponents have a hard trouble killing me off the sides. I remember one match at a tournament, I lived to almost 300%, with the guy I'm facing stressing out going "Why won't you DIE?!?!?!". It's bigger than normal sized platform stages, too, which I like. My second favorite is FoD, platforms FTW.
I just don't like walls in general. Slopes aren't that great for me, either. I just like my stages nice and plain.

7. I go for simple approaches. Run up, WD back, and fsmash if they're close enough. Or SHFFL a nair or eggs or bairs. I just like to switch it up. I'm not that great at approaches either, so, I'll end it here. >_>

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Ooooh, lots of good reads in this thread. I like it. ^_^

Rob: I love your perspective on stages and especially on terrain (slopes, walls, etc.). While I always enjoyed walls for teching and generally extending my current stock to high percentages, I never gave much thought to them as a means for baiting approaches. I also like the notion of "giving more than you get" against Peach/Fox/Falco near walls. Nice.

Bringer: Your approach advice has been duly noted. I like the thought of making your opponent do some of the work if they want to get a hit in on you--this idea is pretty foreign to me since people usually sit back and wait for me to do something stupid/predictable and punishpunishpunish.

Killer Yoshi: Yeah, Yoshi dittos suck. I lose to the scrubbiest **** ever when I play that match, hahaha. However, I like your mention of lightshielding. I tend to forget about that sometimes when I play. I know some of my matchups could use the benefits of lightshielding.

Yoshido: In recent months, I've been learning to play shield stab games you mentioned against my opponents and they hate it cuz they can't shield grab me like they used to. Even just wavedashing up with neutral kicks drives them mad--it's great. And yes, never seriously approach with standard forward air or neutral air. You will get shieldgrabbed, just as Yoshido described in his post. Well, unless you're good enough on the timing of the moves, but not many people are, I don't think.

Bullfrog: Yes @ your description of Yoshi's aerial game. I noticed quite a while ago that Yoshi just has a good bit of everything this game has to offer to a character, and the way you described his aerial game is almost word-for-word how the notion played out in my head. And **high-five** @ living to absurd percentages. Yoshi's tankiness is toooooo good.

Bombco: <3

It seems the couple common factors here are that everyone is in love with Yoshi's air game and that most people under most circumstances prefer Dreamland 64 to most other stages. With a little foresight and some decent tech skill, DI can really get you to the high 200%s, depending on who you're fighting. Even on stages like Final Destination and Pokémon Stadium, getting into the low 200% range is very feasible on most stock.

I'm also liking everyone's different perspective of Yoshi's tilt game and his approach game. Keep the comments coming!

Croco

Smash Lord
1]I agree. He packs much power with his medium speed.

2] I only tend to have trouble against quick characters.. Fox, Sheik, etc.

3]I agree.. I only use it if I am against more then 2 players from a distance.

4]I agree..

5] His grab, shield, and most of his moves are fairly slow. There is a slight delay to them all.. so it's fairly difficult to combo.

6]Any stages which are too open give me trouble.. Final Destination, Corneria, Mute City, and Hyrule Temple, Pokemon Stadium, and Flat Zone.
I feel very comfortable in Onett, Green Greens, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island, Battlefield, Big Blue, and Brinstar Depths.

7] Depends who your playing as.. I would chrage at you and use an A attack.. and If I miss I would shield or jump back or over you.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
I meant peach/falco/fox are going to destroy you by walls, but with all the other characters you should give more than you take.

technomancer

Smash Champion
1] I use Yoshi primarily as a gimper; his edgeguarding game against many characters it top notch, so once they're hitting up 60% I'm looking for a D-smash into an edgeguard. Even if I don't pull a KO, I can often rack up 30 or 40% in edgeguarding and finish them shortly.

2] I find players that can pressure your shield and chase with grabs, such as Marth, Sheik, and CF, are probably in the list of Yoshi's worst matchups, because most of their attacks can be followed with a roll-chasing, high-priority grab and damaging combos from there.

3] Egg tricks are fun, but like every other projectile, you have to be sure that you're not going to get juked. ECE is pro though, someone needs to go team Yoshi on Yoshi' Story and just ECE the hell out of the whole stage, it would be amazing. I'd also like the egg to be better for knocking people out of SHFFLs.

4] His air game is actually pretty mediocre, IMO, because most moves can be sex-kicked and shield-grabbed, even with everything including perfect DjCFFLs and all. There are dozens of ways to step it up, of course, like cross-body d-airs and b-airs, but overall his aerials are mostly used press openings and continue combos.

5] Yoshi is a beast on the ground, primarily due to his IC-like wavedash and downsmash. All his other smashes are fast and have invulnerability as well. His tilt game is ok, but short ranged compared to his smash game, though it combos very well in conjunction with the eggs and up-air. Not to mention if you try to jump out of a dtilt off the stage :D

6] I like Yoshi's Story for Yoshi (:D). He can manuver on it's platforms very well, and it's easy to put people in tough spots with a quick dtilt or dsmash. Not to mention, it's 500 times easier to kill a Sheik here than she can kill you. I can also see him being good on FoD.

7] Mmmm... approaches... well, you should mostly land behind your opponent or tip where they are standing with a dtilt, but for the most part if they're seriously camping you then counter-camp with eggs, and powershielding if there are projectiles involved. Yoshi relies alot on openings, and his grab game is weak. I might also try full jumping in all slow with a late released neutral air, because if they try funny stuff, the neutral might beat them, or I can DjCC through that janks.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
1] He has definitely great power. His smashes pwn almost any at mid to high percentages and with his combos he can do a lot of damage in a short time.

2] Fox, Sheik for their speed (and cheapness :p) Marth for his ridiculous combos and grabs, Peach >_<, Doc and Pikachu can be annoying too.

3] His eggs are the most underestimated projectile in the game, I use it to annoy the hell out of my opponents :D

4] Great, bair for combostarters, uair for combos, dair for spiking, fair for spiking and approaches, and the nair for... alot of things, I use it all the time :D

5] His ground game is ok, not very good imo, theres ofcourse the smashes to punish, but sometimes these can be hard to land. I rarely use the grab, I prefer a djc neutral b over it anytime. cc dtilt is very usefull, utilt to keep someone in the air.

6] I prefer Final Destination, because its very open and i can usually live up to say 150%. Also Dreamland 64 for some reason :p

7] Camp them back with eggs :p

D1

Banned via Administration
1) Hell fuggin yeah I look at Yoshi as a power char, in the beginning of a match chainin fair to DJC nair to dsmash/dash grab/dtilt/jab(s) to get someone's percentage above 40% in a few seconds flat never felt any better. Catchin a dair at high percent on someone after either techin on a platform above you/or rolling in the opposite direction on a platform after landing on it/etc into a dsmash/DJC Nair (strict timing) also never felt any better. I can't recall the many times ppl complain about how Yoshi's head is MAD HUGE when it comes to fair/fsmash/usmash kills. IMO a char who isn't a real "power char" IMO has problems KO-ing opponents above 100%

Yoshi could kill w/:

DOWN B (If started up from teh ground, I dunno in my research I tend to find him killing a few %'s earlier w/ down B if he's on the ground first and does the midair somersault I have a hunch he might have a sweetspot there taht kills early... than just a regular aerial down B will go into further detail later after I'm done doin research)

NAIR (which I usually prefer to do backwards...I guess since the hitbox is near his buttocks moreso than his front...also I know how sometimes Fox/Falco players just run up to a shield, pause then shine...I tested this w/ Yoshi and LMAO running up to someone pausing then DJC nair sometimes catches ppl off guard...best thing is the look on their faces if they were a few percents past 100 XD!!! Also to finish off a bair combo as well I'd use this as well. And remember Yan the trusty ol' downthrow Nair on ff-ers? Well if they DI bad at least ^_^)

Uair (Fox isn't the only one w/ a nasty uair, thank the stars Yoshi's Uair can't be Smash DI'ed out of! This sucker is so nasty and the range+knockback it has is great especially above 100%...you all know this).

Fair (Not to spike w/ everyone knows about this meteor already...try catchin someone's tech while at high percents above 130? w/ this and see the look on their faces when its a Star KO. LMAO)

FSMASH (this mutha fugga is Yoshi's best OMGWTFBQQyoukilledmehow?IhitYouFIRST!!! MOVE <-self explanitory)

Will update later...

2) I believe actually that Yoshi has a tough time w/ any chars thats name starts w/ F...usually those chars are fast, can camp/combo pretty **** well and fly Arwings to boot! ^_x (Even tho Yoshi can combo the fugg outta these b*tches the matchup is still retardedly hard due to the fact that matchups against these suckas whoever grabs first wins...now since when did Yoshi become a char that could abuse grabs on the fly? NEXT! Imo low tiers are my fave Yoshi matchups and anyone else that doesn't fly Arwings.

3) Eggz fuggin wittle shields down pretty **** well, them suckaz give close to double digits in damage last time I checked and have combo potential! YIKES! Broken tier would equal Arwing Fliers SHL abusibility but...its not open for discussion : P.

4) Aerial CCz to help turn the tide of a match are always a plus thats definitely something you don't see everyday...of course anyone would love Yoshi's air game...just watch a video of Fumi you would swear Yoshi had wings the way he plays w/ him. Double Short hopped aerials for the sexy?

5) I tend to stick more to Yoshi's jabs, and only use his tilts when I think they'll hit for the most part I'm straying away from abusing his tilts unless the person I'm playing doesn't abuse wd outta shield into grab/hookshot (Link/YL/Samus *grapple*/Marth(broken grab range).

6) When it comes to stages I'm a mixed bag I like playing anywhere now...I like smaller stages just cuz usmash/fsmash kill earlier for me on 'em ^_^. Other than that I like bigger stages just cuz I could survive longer. But I don't really care which stage I'm on as long as I'm keeping my opponent in the air I'm happy.

7) If I'm Yoshi and I'm bein camped against if the stage is small I camp back w/ ECEs until I notice they're moving forward a bit then I wd on the stage to prep myself for the next wave of attacks and counter accordingly. If the stage was big I'd run to the middle of the stage and throw a full distance egg @ ya w/o care of it hitting or not I know it would prompt a reaction regardless and thats probably all I need to tell me to move in or dash away and see what happens...also Yoshi's wd and dash dances are pretty **** good so sometimes if the opponent is standing still and has no abusible projectiles to spam I just dash dance or wd around to get a response from the player. Usually ppl like to come in and hit the person outta of it either w/ a dashattack or wd in smash in those cases I'd wd back away from their attack and counterattack accordingly if I can.

****...good sh** Yan. Been a while since I've found a reason to post in here.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: D1, you're too good.

Sooooo many good responses. I'll be posting counter-questions soon. ^_^

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
3) Eggz fuggin wittle shields down pretty **** well, them suckaz give double digits in damage last time I checked and have combo potential! YIKES! Broken tier would equal Arwing Fliers SHL abusibility but...its not open for discussion : P.
Unfortunately they only do 6% when they're fully reduced. Still, in the heat of battle, when is an egg gonna do less than 9%?

Nice post D1. You mentioned some things which I don't have to worry about here, like WD out of shield etc. You've got me thinking about it now, so hopefully I'll remember it when I go to the next Aus tournament.

Woo I finally get to do crew battles!

D1

Unfortunately they only do 6% when they're fully reduced. Still, in the heat of battle, when is an egg gonna do less than 9%?

Nice post D1. You mentioned some things which I don't have to worry about here, like WD out of shield etc. You've got me thinking about it now, so hopefully I'll remember it when I go to the next Aus tournament.

Woo I finally get to do crew battles!
Thanks Bringer I edited that. I musta been using a char who's projectiles do 12 damage or somethiin...X_x lol.

Glad to see I could of some help...oh yeah today I was messin around w/ my laser spammy friends Falco and once he hit around 60 every SHL he did I dashattacked right at him knockin him down and just waited for the next SHL and dashattacked again...LMAO DASH ATTACKS BROKEN!!! I gotta post a vid of this and come up w/ a catchy name better than Windmill of Fury...maybe Heabutt from Hell! XD (will update later)

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I might have confused you D1, you were right. Eggs do in fact do 12%, but that's for the first egg. Then it goes something like 10%, 9%, 7% etc with each successive egg. The damage gets reduced heaps, is what I was trying to point out.

But really, compared to Falco? Oh noes my 2% damage laser has been reduced to 1%! I am teh doomed!

D1

Lol you sure as hell did Bringer ^_^. Its all goodsies!

I should start training my Yoshi hardcore...I learned lotsa new tricksies that makes it easy for me to KO my opponents @ high damage despite the fact that I don't have a simple bread and butter combo like Shiek's dthrow fair or Fox's uthrow uair.

I'll release new vids when they're captured...preferably...tourney vids...^_^.

cavesonic13

Smash Lord
1. Yoshi Rocks

2.He is too god for bad match ups

3. Love Yoshi

4. Yoshi pawnage

5. Eggs rock

6. Dreamland and Final Destination, favorite is Pokemon Stadium though...Yoshi eats pokemon for breakfast, lunch, and dinner

7.Eggs....

Shiri

Smash Chump
6. Dreamland and Final Destination, favorite is Pokemon Stadium though...Yoshi eats pokemon for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
:yoshi: Agreed on all counts.

You guys do know that Yoshi is the original Pokémon, yes?

cavesonic13

Smash Lord
yes indeed

he was mewtwo before Mario captured him in a pokeball and then became untamable.....then Mewtwo had to show up and act all cool just to try and take his spot....psht...

Diddyrules

Smash Apprentice
1) Yoshi is a powerful character in my opinion, and what he doesn't have in strength is made up for in his speed.

2) I personally feel like I can fight any character with Yoshi, maybe I'm just overconfident though.

3) The air dodge works okay as a fill in to replace the missing recovery move as long as you haven't been hit, but you're definately right when you say it's broken tier.

4) I love all of Yoshi's air attacks, and I definately

5) I pretty much love every aspect of Yoshi. His ground game is no exception. His attacks are pretty good in both fronts, speed and strength. And I definately love his egg shield.

6) Give me any stage and I can play on it comfortably. But I have a particular fondness to Hyrule Castle.

7) I'd probably try to come to them and try to trap them in an egg. Sure, if I get them they'll probably get out quickly, but once they get out, it could be a perfect oppertunity to Smash them.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
1)Yes. Yoshi compares to Bowser/Ganondorf power without their super-slowness. Smashes demonstrate this quite nicely.

2)Anyone with good air combo ability is a bad matchup. If you pop into the air, Yoshi almost refuses to come down, which leads into easy combo pain.

3)So true. ECE for the Destruction!

4)Yoshi = Air God. I use a lot of b-air and n-air, with u-air for star ko's. F-air and d-air are used when the enemy is over the side (d-air psudeo-spike is good when meteor cancels are getting you down).

5)For ground, I stick with tilts, mostly d and f-tilt, with smashes thrown in when appropriate.

6)Stage-wise, I like far away blast zones such as Battlefield, FinalD, and Dreamland 64. Yoshi's Story is fun when I feel like going for fast ko's, and FoD is so pretty:) .

7)If the enemy is camping, I practice my ECE to draw them out. If that doesn't work, I'll go in for a DJCed Egg Lay. No matter how many times I use it, noone expects a grab from the air.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Nice, nice. Keep 'em coming.

And yes, Fountain of Dreams is very pretty. ^_^

Top Bottom