• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Discussion

SilentShottt

Smash Cadet
Played a dude named hipstur online yesterday on hyrule, decent fox.

We played 3 on hyrule, my Yoshi took the first two, but on the 3rd game he chilled out around the tent and lasered if i didnt approach. Kudos to him the tactic worked well.

In short, how do I deal with campy foxes?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
It is pretty difficult. I try to get in with shields or short hops/full hops, wait for a bad laser (as in one too close and then punish with a djc'd aerial or something similar.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Played a dude named hipstur online yesterday on hyrule, decent fox.

We played 3 on hyrule, my Yoshi took the first two, but on the 3rd game he chilled out around the tent and lasered if i didnt approach. Kudos to him the tactic worked well.

In short, how do I deal with campy foxes?
You can dash attack them sometimes if they try to laser you and you are somewhat nearby. Don't drop the edgeguard if it pushes them off edge (double jab to cover the edge if they are at low % and can jump soon).

If they're doing the thing where they full hop double laser the main stage from the tent, I would probably full hop over that with a timing (hard to put in words) so that I can fastfall aerial and threaten them while they're landing. Watch out for stuff like UTilt - if you mistimed it and they have time to attack, you can try to DJ counter what they do, or just jump away.

Learn to tent combo heavyweights. And mash jump if he gets you in a tent combo, you can escape the BThrow chains that characters like Falcon can't, I think. My Yoshi usually wins exchanges against Fox in the tent 'cause of the combos.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I've been implementing that double jab since I saw your vid against bane.

Mashing jump to get out of combos? I've been wondering for a while, my timing in general sucks and I'd like to know how you guys do: should I mash jump or try to time it as late as possible before each hit I take? Same goes for pika's upb to escape, should I keep up and spam b or keep up and time b or time upb at the same time?

Oracle

Smash Master
so I don't play much 64 but I've got a tournament coming up so I have a few questions about yoshi.

Is he good in doubles? Do you guys even play doubles? In generally imo characters with bad recoveries are harder to exploit in dubs so they're pretty good, but idk about the 64 doubles metagame lol.

was gonna ask about parrry them i read the op lol

Sangoku

Smash Master
I'm not sure of your level. Yoshi's recovery is really good, so "bad recovery hard to exploit" is not an argument at all for playing Yoshi in teams.

Other Yoshi/doubles pros will probably tell you more.

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi can fulfill both rolls of a good teammate, staying alive at high percents to keep stocks, or being aggressive, so he's pretty good for doubles. Really the doubles tier list is pretty similar to singles though, especially when you're not playing at super pr0 level

clubbadubba

Smash Master
yoshi is way worse in teams than in 1v1. Some low tier chars get a big boost in teams so they either catch up to or pass yoshi.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
yoshi is way worse in teams than in 1v1. Some low tier chars get a big boost in teams so they either catch up to or pass yoshi.
lolthis, it is difficult to djc as opponents (or your partner loll) can hit you pretty easily out of your double jump. i think yoshi is probably 10th or 9th in dub tier list.

also, prince/prince ssb uploaded a new yoshi cv, real cool combos/parries

The Star King

Smash Hero
If you ignore Pikachu being way better than everyone else, and then Kirby being way better than everyone but Pika, I think Yoshi is pretty good in teams. The only thing I don't like is that he sucks at saving teammates.

lol man I am so jealous of (J) Yoshi having that perfect platform jump

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yoshi has a decent advantage. I would say he punishes significantly harder, and he can edgeguard pretty with eggs and stuff.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I think the color is really important. Red is best; Green has a lot of potential; all the others are for amateurs.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Yellow Yoshi is the worst. Yellow with green boots man... too Australian.

It's like that Squirtle in PM, ugliest Squirtle I've seen.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Down B is a very predictable move don't use it unless mid combo or recovering.
You'd be surprised the predictable **** people fall for.

I'm guessing you're referring to down-b'ing with Yoshi when you're out of jumps and someone is about to hit you from below?

mixa knows what he's talking about.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
You'd be surprised the predictable **** people fall for.

I'm guessing you're referring to down-b'ing with Yoshi when you're out of jumps and someone is about to hit you from below?

mixa knows what he's talking about.
Yea basically Wizzrobe does this thing where he's out of jumps way up high and when the other player jumps up to attack him he will down-b like 70-80% of the time. So if you just double jump towards him and then ff/move horizontally, out comes the down-b and free hit. But to be fair, it seems to work on a lot of people. Multiple times. And I don't know why. #WizzrobeExposed

#YellowYoshi4Life

The Star King

Smash Hero
That's not just a Wizzrobe thing dude, that's as ancient as time itself. Most Yoshi players do it. And yet most people fall for it. I don't get this community sometimes.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Dude you haven't played wizzrobe, you can't even fathom the magnitude of frequency with which wizzy does this.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Dude you haven't played wizzrobe, you can't even fathom the magnitude of frequency with which wizzy does this.

I dont even do it that much lol just that one session i had with u ages ago is when i did it a lot

Also, Im glad i said something in this thread which was the first thing in over 4 months and it semi exploded

clubbadubba

Smash Master
This much is true, I have hours of vs wizzrobe experience, all from 1 session though lol. If it makes you happy, I always give you a shoutout whenever someone tries it against me.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
On his stream last week I saw isai revover from ledge by ledge drop -> slow djc fair, timed so he would have just enough height from the double jump to get him on stage. It looked like it was slightly quicker and safer than regular getup, which he uses a lot too. Are these consistently good options? Anybody else use them?

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
On his stream last week I saw isai revover from ledge by ledge drop -> slow djc fair, timed so he would have just enough height from the double jump to get him on stage. It looked like it was slightly quicker and safer than regular getup, which he uses a lot too. Are these consistently good options? Anybody else use them?

I actually did this last night it might be good

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Can it work? Sure.

Is it dangerous coming back to stage with an aerial (canceling your armor). Definitely.

It's always good to mix up your recovery though. Nair'ing and fairing from the ledge every once in a while is fine as long as it doesn't get predictable.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
okay, I've always been confused by the parry stuff, mainly because I never play Yoshi.
several times I've seen people say "to practice parry, parry every time before you jump" and that is worse than playing Metal Mario in terms of how long it takes to get off the ground, seems like an arbitrary practice. then I saw this post again:

the things you can do out of parry are the same as what you can do out of shield.
what am I missing? can you actually cancel the parry into an out-of-shield move? I could never do it, and now with TAS I still can't do it. I'd be inclined to say you can't do **** until the parry is over (17 frames or something), but again, Yoshi is too hard for me. what's up?

Top Bottom