• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

would you pay for alt costumes?

would you buy alt costumes packs

• yes

Votes: 72 37.1%
  • no

Votes: 19 9.8%
  • depends on what alt costumes they have.

Votes: 118 60.8%

• Total voters

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big fan of project M costumes. And when the full version of smash bros came out on the 3ds I personally was a bit annoyed with how many alt costumes there really were.

So I personally would pay about 5$ to get a few costumes. Like dark meta knight, dry bowser, the Real fusion suit for samus, and Mr.L costume.

I would also buy a mii pack for like 3$ just to get 10 extra outfits, and 5 hats but that's just me.

You only have to buy the pack on one version. If you want the costumes on both versions u would need to use the connect function.

So would you pay for extra costumes if they ever release them? also what costumes alts would really stand for you to buy a pack.

Just a small little FAQ (I don't work for Nintendo so I wouldn't really know if they would sell it like this. But I would imagine they would.)

Q: can I buy each costumes separately or do I have to buy them in a pack?

A:I would imagine nintendo would sell costumes in a pack such as the Super Mario Pack.

Q: would costumes come with DLC stages and characters?

A: seeing how they did the Mario Kart 8 DLC then yes they would do it. But for the thread itself can only buy the costumes separately without any characters or stages that come with it.

Q: would they be more colors or new model like bowser. Jr alts? Will the announcer voice change if the costumes represent a different characters.

A: The new costumes will have new models and will be canon from their older games. Not sure if nintendo would change the announcer voice for the thread i'm going to say yes.

I'm a fan of tf2.

Last edited:

sssetz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5964-6193
I would probably pay for alt. costumes, but its funny that you're mad about 8 costumes each. That is a ton and plenty to choose from for now.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I would probably pay for alt. costumes, but its funny that you're mad about 8 costumes each. That is a ton and plenty to choose from for now.
I'm not mad about 8 different colors I'm more upset about the lack of costumes. Most costumes are just lazy color swaps. Some of them are interesting like how Olimar has a Alph costume.

Last edited:

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
If they were for Mii Fighters, I might consider it. I'd kill for a shield for my Mii Swordsman, even if it does nothing other than look cool.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
I would because I have a job and no self control, but I would then come here and complain about it anyways.

Admiral Mikey

Smash Rookie
My Nintendo fandom would compel me to buy any new DLC for this game. I just hope that DLC alts would be more creative in the Olimar/Alph way, rather than just Mario with an orange or purple hat now. Gimmie a Protoman alt for Mega Man or SNES Super Punch-Out alt for Little Mac, and I'm in!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd only buy the ones I really like.

If they get Biker Rosalina or Cat Rosalina or something, I would pay any amount of money, because that's just sex right there. And Cosmic Spirit is something she SHOULD have regardless, there is literally no excuse for it.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
My Nintendo fandom would compel me to buy any new DLC for this game. I just hope that DLC alts would be more creative in the Olimar/Alph way, rather than just Mario with an orange or purple hat now. Gimmie a Protoman alt for Mega Man or SNES Super Punch-Out alt for Little Mac, and I'm in!
But
Mario does have a Purple Costume now (Based off Waluigi)
And Little Mac does have a SNES Punch-Out!! inspired costume for both him and Wireframe Mac
:|

marvel b

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2423-3428-7359
i'm a completionist where i play game with dlc,i must get it all!
thats why in psas i was freaking out for over a year!

adabana

Smash Rookie
I'd probably only buy the costumes for my mains, or unless they looked particularly killer in them. The others can look basic. ;P

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
It depends, but as long as the price isn't excessive I'd gladly pay for some alts if they are good homages to other Nintendo games, for example.

And, of course, if they come inside a pack along with other stuff, I'd buy them for sure.

Last edited:

Admiral Mikey

Smash Rookie
But
Mario does have a Purple Costume now (Based off Waluigi)
And Little Mac does have a SNES Punch-Out!! inspired costume for both him and Wireframe Mac
:|
Inspired by is one thing, but a complete alt with no shirt, same blonde hairstyle and full-on Michael J. Fox-like voice is different. I need him to say "Piece of Cake!" and "Right On!" after Smashes!

Strofirko

Smash Master
If they got packed in the same way of mario kart 8,yes,but just the costumes alone,never.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Normally I wouldn't but for Smash I'll probably make an exception. How would it work to get them for both versions though? As far as I know, there's no unified account cross-buy between systems. Makes me wonder how DLC in general would work...

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Normally I wouldn't but for Smash I'll probably make an exception. How would it work to get them for both versions though? As far as I know, there's no unified account cross-buy between systems. Makes me wonder how DLC in general would work...
Good point knowing nintendo it would be safe to assume by linking both versions can buy the costumes on one version and it would transfer over by using the connect function.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Sure, I'll play along with the question. Would I buy them? Most likely, depending on the contents and price. There are some things I definitely want. Among them:

- Option to edit hair colors on characters. I'd drop $1 or so for this.

- Outfits for the Fire Emblem cast. Awakening has provided no shortage of ideas for these. $2-4 is my going rate for a pack of them.

- More Mii Fighter parts. This is the #1 thing I would buy, and I'd love packs of them for $3-4 apiece offering, say, 2-3 new outfits and 6-10 new hats. I could be talked up slightly on the price, but once you're hitting $5-6 I expect there to be a lot of parts to pick from.

Beyond this, I have few immediate DLC outfit interests. Still, I would gladly buy the above.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
If the alts were more than palette swaps, yeah I'd probably buy some of them for characters I like at a reasonable price, like no more than $1.50 or so per alt. I'd drop even more money than that if they were like the Koopalings, say an Ephraim alt for Marth with his own announcer call or something.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
It quite simply depends on if the costumes mean anything to me or not.
The costumes will be 100% canon to the characters but will not effect game play. Also these costumes AREN'T COLOR sawps. They are new models but they bring nothing new to the game.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
The costumes will be 100% canon to the characters but will not effect game play. Also these costumes AREN'T COLOR sawps. They are new models but they bring nothing new to the game.
Well...then it just depends if it belongs to a character I like/use. :p

NivinyaFate

Smash Cadet
NNID
Fate684
3DS FC
2423-4511-5468
It'd depend on which characters get costumes, what the costumes are, and how they're packaged. I would buy a costume pack that added multiple of costumes for one of the characters that make up my main/secondaries, but I'd be more hesitant if it added the same amount of costumes to every character since I'd be paying for a lot of costumes I'd likely never or at least rarely use.

tttt

Smash Cadet
Yeah I would probably get all of them. I'd be a total sucker for that stuff. Everyone would be talking about it when its released and I would just succumb to the peer pressure to get it.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yes, though it'd depend on what's available.

- General: new palette swaps, new announcer voice packs
- Pit: Shirtless (Scorched Feathers), Three Sacred Treasures, greyscale (Of Myths and Monsters), green hair and white runic (because Pit cosplaying Palutena is just too adorable for we lesser mortals)
- Palutena: Medusa costume
- Robin: Alternate hairstyles
- Captain Falcon: Blood Falcon costume
- Yoshi: Birdo costume (I'm not even kidding)
- Peach: Daisy costume
- Lucina: Great Lord, Bride, War Cleric, Swordmaster

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'd only buy alt costumes if they were any of the following:
-New Villager, Wario, or Ness alts
-Different models (like Alph or the Koopalings)
-Pays direct homage to another notable Nintendo character

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I'd only buy for new models or some really cool color swaps like All American Mario.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I would like to see this but in the way that Injustice does it, where they come in packs.

Princess Pack - 2 Alts each for Peach, Rosalina, Zelda, Sheik, and Palutena.

Plumber Pack - 2 Alts each for Mario, Dr. Mario, and Luigi.

Bounty Hunter Bundle - 2 Alts each for Samus, ZS Samus, and Capt. Falcon.

Villain Pack - 2 Alts each for Bowser, Bowser Jr., Wario, Ganondorf, Dark Pit, and King DeDeDe.

Swordsman Pack - 2 Alts each for Link, Toon Link, Pit, Marth, Ike, Robin, Meta Knight, Lucina, and Shulk.

Mii Bundle - 10 extra costumes for all Mii characters.

Pokemon Pack - 2 Alts each for Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja.

Animal Pack - 2 Alts each for Fox, Falco, Duck Hunt Dog, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong.

3rd Party Pack - 2 Alts each for Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Sonic.

Classic Characters - 2 Alts each for Mr. Game & Watch, and R.O.B.

Boxing Bundle - 4 Extra Alts for Little Mac.

Athletic Alts - 2 Alts for Female Wii Fit Trainer, 2 Alts for Male Wii Fit Trainer. (4 total)

Cute Character Pack - 2 Alts each for Yoshi, Kirby, Ness, Villager, and Olimar.

Aaaaaaaand I think that covers every character! :D

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
If they are actually alternate costumes I'd likely pay for all of them - especially new characters as alternate costumes.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I would buy a Mewtwo alt for Wario!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
its sad to see yes beating no
Not really. People are entitled to do what they like with their money. Nintendo are a business, and the essence of running a good business is to offer products and services to people that they want and are willing to pay for. So, all in all, this just reaffirms the innate notion that DLC is a great concept for Nintendo and its fans, both from the essential marketing and hype-generating viewpoints.

Last edited:
Top Bottom