• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Jane

Smash Hero
someone tell the driver of the GKMC bandwagon to turn around, i need to board immediately.

its so good.

it took me a good ~8 front to back listens for it to fully sink in, but man, its almost perfect. love the distinct feel of [mostly] each and every song, love the way hes telling his genuine story throughout the album, love the skits.

my favorite tracks are "***** dant kill my vibe", "money trees", and "sing about me, im dying of thirst", but i love every song. the only one i kind of dont like is backstreet freestyle. every song is spaced well. i love how i can tune out and just feel the vibe, then tune back in and be captivated by kendrick's signature storytelling and flow. this album is an experience. allow me to *******ize the meaning of the word some more: lovelovelovelovelove, this record.

i still have like 10 other albums on my to-listen list, but kendrick is gonna be in town tomorrow so i have to compulsively listen to gkmc until showtime.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Only skippable track on GKMC for me is Poetic Justice. I love Backstreet Freestyle hahaha especially the last verse. M.a.a.D City is one of the craziest rap songs I've ever listened to. the last verse on that is insaaaaaaane "...compton USA made me an angel on angeldust" leading into those badass 90s synthlines. so amazing.

Big Boi's new album is an incredible disappointment for me, after the first listen. It's not bad, but nothing really blows my mind the way Sir Luscious did on nearly every track

Jane

Smash Hero
my friend was waiting in line since 2 ****ing 30 pm, and there was still a good 15 people in front of him. i'm so lucky though, because of him i'm in the very front right now. still waiting for the show to start. cant wait!

Jane

Smash Hero
so kendrick was phenomenal.

there were two opening acts, a local cat who was ehhh. he makes party music, which is something i certainly enjoy but he didnt do anything to stand out or impress me. the next was a dude from phoenix, who seemed to land more on the conscious rapper end of the spectrum. he was better than the first guy imo, but still, not really impressed. its pretty hard for me to be impressed by a rapper when the first time i listen to them is on stage.

so after the second guy leaves, there was 45 minutes of waiting. it sucked, and that is the only gripe i had with the show. once kendrick came on though, man. ok so the place was absolutely packed (sold out show), and when kendrick came out the crowd went wild. now, even if he wasnt good on stage, which he was, his music is just crafted in a way that has points of crescendo, which is perfect for shows, and something that a lot of non-party rap lacks. and especially on GKMC, so many sudden spikes in hype. and speaking of, from the album he played "***** dant kill my vibe", "money trees", "backseat freestyle", "mAAd city", "the recipe", and "swimming pools". all of them were great, and kendrick knew exactly how to pump everyone up. he was interacting with the crowd as much as he could (there was like 4 feet of space between the stage and the front row), giving a pound to a dude in the wheelchair who was in the front corner, and talking to a girl on the other front corner where i was, asking her what her name was, and if she was faithful before turning to the crowd and asking us if we thought she would be faithful, to which the answer was of course a loud "NO!" haha. but then he grabbed her hand and said he was changing her name to tammy and then tammy's song started. she was like in a daze from the whole experience, which i dont blame her. and kendrick is just so genuine when hes on stage, just like his music. he looks people in the eye as he performs, he had like 10 water bottles which he distributed to the crowd and told everyone to share, after every song he would talk to us, telling us a story or something of the sort. just a great showman and person. kendrick is a future legend, end of story. and what is awesome is that he's the first legend of our generation (he was born in 87). but anyway, he also performed other songs like "cartoons and cereal", "adhd", "***** and patron", that one interlude song that goes "pray that we make it to 21", i cant remember what its called, and like 3-4 more songs i cant recall at the moment. he absolutely killed it last night, everyone was going crazy, myself included. i had so much fun, and my only regret is not listening to gkmc sooner so that i could learn more of the lyrics. sorry talib, but kendrick has taken your spot as best hip hop show i've ever been to. i'm already looking forward to the next time i get to see him. TDE!

after the show, i proceeded to get profiled (three guys in hats, bumping music), pulled over because my license plates are expired, and now i have a court date in 10 days :D and its a criminal offense because my plates are from texas :D. the moment they pulled us over i bet they thought they hit the jackpot as far as finding drugs or weapons or something. eventually after they pulled me out and searched me, they asked if i had anything in the car, listed like every ****ing possible drug, i said no, and they asked to search the car. i of course said no, but knowing that we thankfully didnt have anything (weed), i let him search. because otherwise i knew he would be doing everthing in his power to get a search warrant and that would have been like another wasted 30-45 mins just for them to find nothing. since i wasnt getting paid to wait like they were, i just told them to search it. but yeah. little fun sidestory.

tl;dr kendrick is great live, definitely go see him if he comes to your city.

Y

Yodery

so kendrick was phenomenal.

there were two opening acts, a local cat who was ehhh. he makes party music, which is something i certainly enjoy but he didnt do anything to stand out or impress me. the next was a dude from phoenix, who seemed to land more on the conscious rapper end of the spectrum. he was better than the first guy imo, but still, not really impressed. its pretty hard for me to be impressed by a rapper when the first time i listen to them is on stage.

so after the second guy leaves, there was 45 minutes of waiting. it sucked, and that is the only gripe i had with the show. once kendrick came on though, man. ok so the place was absolutely packed (sold out show), and when kendrick came out the crowd went wild. now, even if he wasnt good on stage, which he was, his music is just crafted in a way that has points of crescendo, which is perfect for shows, and something that a lot of non-party rap lacks. and especially on GKMC, so many sudden spikes in hype. and speaking of, from the album he played "***** dant kill my vibe", "money trees", "backseat freestyle", "mAAd city", "the recipe", and "swimming pools". all of them were great, and kendrick knew exactly how to pump everyone up. he was interacting with the crowd as much as he could (there was like 4 feet of space between the stage and the front row), giving a pound to a dude in the wheelchair who was in the front corner, and talking to a girl on the other front corner where i was, asking her what her name was, and if she was faithful before turning to the crowd and asking us if we thought she would be faithful, to which the answer was of course a loud "NO!" haha. but then he grabbed her hand and said he was changing her name to tammy and then tammy's song started. she was like in a daze from the whole experience, which i dont blame her. and kendrick is just so genuine when hes on stage, just like his music. he looks people in the eye as he performs, he had like 10 water bottles which he distributed to the crowd and told everyone to share, after every song he would talk to us, telling us a story or something of the sort. just a great showman and person. kendrick is a future legend, end of story. and what is awesome is that he's the first legend of our generation (he was born in 87). but anyway, he also performed other songs like "cartoons and cereal", "adhd", "***** and patron", that one interlude song that goes "pray that we make it to 21", i cant remember what its called, and like 3-4 more songs i cant recall at the moment. he absolutely killed it last night, everyone was going crazy, myself included. i had so much fun, and my only regret is not listening to gkmc sooner so that i could learn more of the lyrics. sorry talib, but kendrick has taken your spot as best hip hop show i've ever been to. i'm already looking forward to the next time i get to see him. TDE!

after the, i proceeded to get profiled (three guys in hats, bumping music), pulled over because my license plates are expired, and now i have a court date in 10 days :D and its a criminal offense because my plates are from texas :D. the moment they pulled us over i bet they thought they hit the jackpot as far as finding drugs or weapons or something. eventually after they pulled me out and searched me, they asked if i had anything in the car, listed like every ****ing possible drug, i said no, and they asked to search the car. i of course said no, but knowing that we thankfully didnt have anything (weed), i let him search. because otherwise i knew he would be doing everthing in his power to get a search warrant and that would have been like another wasted 30-45 mins just for them to find nothing. since i wasnt getting paid to wait like they were, i just told them to search it. but yeah. little fun sidestory.

tl;dr kendrick is great live, definitely go see him if he comes to your city.
Ehhhhhh I don't get the Kendrick hype... good kid maad city (**** you I'm not typing it the #edgy way) was just... so uninspired IMHO.

S l o X

Smash Champion
GKMC is a work of art and it took me a while to recognize how good it is. I still prefer Section.80 (it's a completely different album I just like the feel of s.80 more both are great) but GKMC really gave me chills and made me a bit of a Kendrick stan.

I still find it hard to get people to listen to him, what tracks do you guys think are easy listens for people who might not like him? I thought The Heart (1-3) would all be good but that's all I really have.

Jane

Smash Hero
if you wanna turn people onto kendrick just show them your favorite tracks. if they dont like it, their loss/different strokes different folks.

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
backseat freestyle generally hooks people that i show him too. also swimming pools.

soap

Smash Hero
ADHD is one of my favorite Kendrick tracks to play in like drinking atmospheres. Actually pretty similar to swimming pools. (I like the irony)

S l o X

Smash Champion
jane that doesn't work but yea in the end it's whatever.

kendrick is performing here (ct) the day before apex. gonna be such a good weekend.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I take back what I said about Big Boi's new album. I really like it after another listen, it grew on me a lot. some of my favs is Lines, Mama Told Me, She Hates Me . not sure if I like or dislike songs like Shoes For Running and She Said Ok hahah. either way, good smokin album and good sexing album

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I take back what I said about Big Boi's new album. I really like it after another listen, it grew on me a lot. some of my favs is Lines, Mama Told Me, She Hates Me . not sure if I like or dislike songs like Shoes For Running and She Said Ok hahah. either way, good smokin album and good sexing album
I figured you would.

I love She Said Ok though, haha. One of my favorite joints from it, haha. I have a lot of favorite songs off the album.

S1 The God

so is it just me or does aesop rock just write out of his *** and people gobble it up because they read into his nonsense

ive listened to all of Float and various other things and it just sounds like the same, tired formula to me. what is the ****ing appeal, i dont get it

Jane

Smash Hero
trust me, this thread unanimously thinks aesop is garbage. except like one person, i think it was jugfingers.

yeah i could never get into him.

S1 The God

i just cant wrap my head around it. there's a huge circle jerk over him and he's just gibberish

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i hate aesop rock. he seems to be the go to guy for "cultured" people who have no interest in hip hop but want to appear like they do. most any fan trots out the same line of "aesop's lyrics are full of substance and meaning unlike those thug rappers that only rap about hos and money" and it's a crock of ****, really. if he was actually really good as a rapper I wouldn't mind that kind of fanbase, but he's just whack as all hell "white suburbanite rap"

Y

Yodery

Aesop is so dank dope 420 swag swed $$$$ ****ing marijuana cigarettes gangsta gangsta eazy-e C.R.E.A.M.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I'm thinking about getting more into rap/hip hop. I've always liked Dan le sac Vs Scroobius pip, and I also enjoyed Drake's newest when I listened to it with a friend, so I feel like adding more to my list. Does anyone have recommendations for someone relatively new to the genre?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is a great crossover album imo. it has a very pop oriented sensibility and is also notably influenced by progressive rock and honestly a lot of different genres and so it's more accessible to a new hiphop listener even though it's pretty experimental as far as mainstream hiphop goes. Hopefully Yodery uses this cue to talk about an album I know he likes and hopefully actually contribute something of worth in here.

aside from that, some other essential but accessible albums are
Kanye West Graduation & The College Dropout
Eminem The Eminem Show & Marshall Mathers LP
Kendrick Lamar Section 80 & Overly Dedicated & good kid maad city
Big Boi Sir Lucious Left Foot
Wu-Tang Clan Enter the 36 Chambers
Common Be
Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique
Lauryn Hill The Miseducation Of...
Outkast Aquemini
Nas Illmatic &Stillmatic

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
aside from that, some other essential but accessible albums are
Kanye West Graduation & The College Dropout
Eminem The Eminem Show & Marshall Mathers LP
Kendrick Lamar Section 80 & Overly Dedicated & good kid maad city
Big Boi Sir Lucious Left Foot
Wu-Tang Clan Enter the 36 Chambers
Common Be
Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique
Lauryn Hill The Miseducation Of...
Outkast Aquemini
Nas Illmatic &Stillmatic
Not a single Jay-Z album. Smh.

To expand on this list:

Jay-Z Reasonable Doubt, Vol 2... Hard Knock Life, The Blueprint, The Black Album & American Gangster
Kanye West Late Registration
Common The Dreamer, The Believer
2Pac Me Against the World, All Eyez On Me & The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory
The Notorious B.I.G. Ready to Die & Life After Death
50 Cent Get Rich or Die Trying & The Massacre
Dr. Dre The Chronic & 2001
Nas It Was Written, Life is Good, & God's Son
Outkast ATLiens, Stankonia, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below Just get all of their discography sans Idlewild
Lil Wayne Tha Carter II[/I
Lupe Fiasco Food & Liquor & The Cool

These are all albums. We'll get you into mixtapes later.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Anyone in here a fan of Panacea, The Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Typical Cats, or Deep Puddle Dynamics?

Top Bottom