• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wofl Q&A/Social

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why post in threads when you can like the comments in them?

(I may have a problem)

:059:
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. The next step is posting!

I saw a bobcat in the mountains yesterday :)
It looked like this (not my picture)

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'm finally close to beating Twilight Princess.

... I have no idea why I waited this long to attempt a complete playthrough. I just remembered getting lost in the snow area years ago and just kinda never played again.

So once I beat this, it'll be the first Zelda game I've beaten. The first half of the game was a lot of fun. Snow temple onwards is kinda meh.

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
The boss of snow temple... is.. so creepy. If you aren't expecting the erm... surprise, the jump scare will get ya.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Snowpeak Ruins was one of my favorite Zelda dungeons. It was one of the few that could take a lot of Link's health away. I like how it was strange and unique but fit into the medieval world (unlike SS Laynayru Mines). The collection goals added an interesting surreal element.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Sorry to go on topic. But I have a few questions about Wolf, as I went to my first ever Smashfest, which is my very first time every going to actually play SSB in a group somewhere lol, and found that I did best with Wolf, granted I still got defeated when I used him but I surprised myself by actually being able to get at least 1 KO with him and sometimes 2, and ths\us want to work on my knowledge with him and all the jazz.

My first question is, how doest Scarring work exactly? I see that the guide mentions it and lists what stages it can be done on but doesn't say what it does or how to do it, at least I didn't see where it said that.

My second question is, I found myself ending up using guerrilla tactics quite a bit, is this a good strategy for Wolf or is there something a bit better?

And thridly, I seem to kinda spam his blaster quite a bit, is that a good or bad idea?

Sorry if any of these questions seem stupid. >_<

rsr2

Smash Lord
Those questions are not stupid <3

I am not an expert but here is what I know from reading everything else people have posted.

1. Scarring is basically when you side b offstage and try to get back on, just hold down on the controller and you should go right through. There is a list which I will find or I will force Ish to post <3

and to answer the other two questions, I would say watch videos of other players.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-wofl-house-video-thread-send-awesome-replays-to-tekkie.206096/
Here is the video thread. Check out the videos and learn more ^ _ ^

tekkie

Smash Master
Sorry to go on topic.
lmao

My first question is, how doest Scarring work exactly? I see that the guide mentions it and lists what stages it can be done on but doesn't say what it does or how to do it, at least I didn't see where it said that.
scarring is using wolf's side-B to go partially through the stage. if you're offstage, near the edge, slightly below, and you side-B towards the stage you'll go through part of it. it helps to hold down while you scar to make sure you don't grab the ledge.

My second question is, I found myself ending up using guerrilla tactics quite a bit, is this a good strategy for Wolf or is there something a bit better?
i'm not sure what you mean; clarify?

And thridly, I seem to kinda spam his blaster quite a bit, is that a good or bad idea?
blaster is good. it's great if they're on the ledge, i usually just head back a bit and spam blaster if i'm not edgeguarding. however, it's really bad up close, like most projectiles

Rizen

Smash Legend
Keep in mind that some stages like PS1 will trap wolf under the ledge. Scarring needs a slanted underside to the stage. When you're near the ledge and under a bit sibeB and hold down like Tekkie said.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Lmao

scarring is using wolf's side-B to go partially through the stage. if you're offstage, near the edge, slightly below, and you side-B towards the stage you'll go through part of it. it helps to hold down while you scar to make sure you don't grab the ledge.

i'm not sure what you mean; clarify?

blaster is good. it's great if they're on the ledge, i usually just head back a bit and spam blaster if i'm not edgeguarding. however, it's really bad up close, like most projectiles
Ok, I though that was the term for light stepping. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Guerrilla tactics is where you attack, retreat, attack, retreat, attack, retreat, ect.... It comes from Guerrilla Warfare whihc is a uncommon type of warfare, you wait in ambush for the enemy to come into range, rush in and attack and then retreat back as if you where never there, the movie The Patriot shows a good example of this. But yea I basically ended up attacking and then retreating. Thats what I meant by guerrilla tactics.

And glad to know it is good to spam the blaster.

tekkie

Smash Master
Ok, I though that was the term for light stepping. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Guerrilla tactics is where you attack, retreat, attack, retreat, attack, retreat, ect.... It comes from Guerrilla Warfare whihc is a uncommon type of warfare, you wait in ambush for the enemy to come into range, rush in and attack and then retreat back as if you where never there, the movie The Patriot shows a good example of this. But yea I basically ended up attacking and then retreating. Thats what I meant by guerrilla tactics.

And glad to know it is good to spam the blaster.
light stepping is using wofl flash in the correct spacing so that he hits the ledge but doesn't grab; it also gives his DJ back. here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrPEi84xU0&t=1m18s

i know what guerrilla warfare is; i'm still not sure what you mean within the context of brawl. do you literally run away after every hit? of so, that's not a wolf problem, it's just a general gameplay problem. a lot of times after hitting someone you should be focused on following up. for example, if you uthrow Snake, you don't run away; why would you? you just put snake at a disadvantage and yourself at a great advantage. that's just throwing away the free possibility for damage.

what you can take away from what i said about blaster is that it's definitely good (as are just about every projectile in brawl) but you have to be smart about it

mimgrim

Smash Hero
light stepping is using wofl flash in the correct spacing so that he hits the ledge but doesn't grab; it also gives his DJ back. here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrPEi84xU0&t=1m18s

i know what guerrilla warfare is; i'm still not sure what you mean within the context of brawl. do you literally run away after every hit? of so, that's not a wolf problem, it's just a general gameplay problem. a lot of times after hitting someone you should be focused on following up. for example, if you uthrow Snake, you don't run away; why would you? you just put snake at a disadvantage and yourself at a great advantage. that's just throwing away the free possibility for damage.

what you can take away from what i said about blaster is that it's definitely good (as are just about every projectile in brawl) but you have to be smart about it
Ohhhh okk I see the difference now.

I guess I was a bit to literal with what I meant >_< sorry about that. I would try to get in more attacks if I could, but most of the time they just seemed to recover so fast that I would end up retreating when they did, this is probably due to the fact it was my first time ever going against people on a competitive level. But I'll keep that in mind.

And I get what what you mean about being smart with the Blaster... I think. xD

I guess I just need to try and keep on going as that seems like the best way imrpove, as wish anything. To bad I won't be able to go up there next Saturday. D:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Just finally finished Twilight Princess. I feel like the temple of time and city in the sky were the low points in the game, but other than that it was good. I may replay the first half of the game again sometime since I liked the first half so much. Kinda sad that the game got to a point where Wolf Link was just kinda ignored, but oh well. I can now say I've beaten a Zelda game.

Also, I never thought anything of the snowpeak ruins boss. I was completely unphased by the cutscene. Then next thing I know I kept reading stuff about people talking about that being a really creepy part of the game .-.

tekkie

Smash Master
I guess I was a bit to literal with what I meant >_< sorry about that. I would try to get in more attacks if I could, but most of the time they just seemed to recover so fast that I would end up retreating when they did, this is probably due to the fact it was my first time ever going against people on a competitive level. But I'll keep that in mind.
that's what separates brawl from melee/64. there's no such thing as guaranteed followups, or even mindless option selects. (in most cases.) if you hit someone, they're usually at a disadvantage in position. that's what you get, and you have to take advantage of that. you knock someone in the air. you can follow them, and they can either airdodge (if you're watching for it you can get a free hit after they do), they can try to attack down at you (downward attacks usually suck in brawl), double jump (you can try to position yourself so you can punish their landing or something, whatever floats your boat). the idea is that no matter what they do, they are more inclined to take damage/die.

another way to think of it is stage positioning - if the opponent has 150% and is hanging onto the ledge, you don't run to the opposite side of the stage. that's a waste. they're at a disadvantage because their back is to the blast zone and they're about to die. you have to take advantage of that.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Some characters do well attacking down (Link, Ganon, Wario, Peach, etc). Others like Bowser and Charizard etc are in a very bad place for juggles.

There are some mindless options but they're more about chain grabs/grab releases than combos.

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
That's what the fake ID part is for. Well, I guess he might have done that without one. Either way...
I just signed up for my college courses today.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Alright so I have been watching some of those Wolf videos and have a few more questions about Wolf. So yea going on topic again.

Something I notice with all these videos is that when these Wolf players play against progectile heavy charatcer (Like Diddy, Olimar, ect...) they rarely ever use the relector to reflact the projectiles back, why is this?

I've been practins Wolf's ATs in training mode and while I am get the flow of some of them (Scarring, Ilusion cancel boost thing, and to a less extent reverse blast (still having a bit of hard time getting the timing on this one, even moreso then Ilusion boosting whichw as suppose to be harder o.o)) but I'm having a hard time getting Boost Smashing and Item Boosting down... badly... Any tips on those 2 techniques?

And i think that's it for now.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^vs Oli Wolf's blaster is simply a more effective tool to stop pikmin. The bayonet cuts them down and the laser continues on. If I reflected Oli could grab.
Diddy's peanuts break easily and he has a good dash attack to pick up bananas. I'm not the best Wolf and trying to reflect can leave Wolf in a worse position than trying to move and space with Bairs.
Often it's more effective to attack around or through range attacks rather than reflect them.

Generally learning the timing and spacing to successfully use moves is more important than learning ATs.

Someone else might give you a better answer.

tekkie

Smash Master
"reflecting something back" isn't usually a good idea for physical projectiles. reflector is kind of like marth's counter; super slow, and there's way better options. if you're on the other end of the stage and ROB lasers, by all means reflector, but if diddy's mid-range away from you and you reflect a banana you're just handing it back to him.

when you take z-catching, instant throwing, perfect shielding, and just not getting hit by really obvious projectiles into account, the only thing [imo] reflector is really good for besides as a somewhat risky mixup is for lasers [fox, falco, ROB] from very far away

Rizen

Smash Legend

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Bpow finally beat me outside of Iowa on Saturday, so like other Sorcerers I can die in peace after transferring my powers over.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Lucario's a weird MU to space. A lot of it is simply experience. Blaster can be very annoying for Lucario. Keep moving and hit and run poking. Wolf is good at edge guarding with Bair>edgehog. Aura spheres are often easy to see coming and reflect. Fair has good range and KOs well.

He might have a low % forward B chain on Wolf IDK.

SV is a good stage because Lucario can't wall cling.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Forward b-chain is ****ing useless.
It's so easy to mash out of, and only works at low percent when you can mash out of it. I promise if your a decent masher, Lucario doesn't get squat out of side-b to more side-b combos if people just did that.

He can get other stuff after side b thats way more consistent like dash attack, or u-throw to u-tilt strings. Really bugs me when Lucario's get away with double side-b.

Wolfies. Form my sake, if you see a lucario do 2 side-bs in a row, mash out for me.

Oh. And Lucario, kinda does awesome on every stage. There's no real counterpick that seriously hurts him. Even smashvill has the nice moving platform that gives him a few options to recover too. Honestly, if you ever counterpick lucario, just pick whatever your most comfortable with as a player.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
IIRC, Lucario's Uthrow chain grab is more of a tech chase kinda thing against wolf, since Wolf can shine out of it, but at the same time, Lucario can shield the shine and then grab again.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Don't take Lucario (L) to Lylat, he's stupid good there, or Frigate of course. I prefer more open stages for this MU as opposed to BF, YI etc but that might just be me.

L's Usmash lasts a long time so don't try to dodge in that space. At high %s L likes to Fsmash for kills and the reach is long so be careful when landing or returning from a ledge. Don't do risky things that lets L get a read on you.
Both characters can chain attacks to pressure the other offstage. This is a good way to setup kills when Lucario's at high %s rather than fishing for Dsmash (as I tend to do Embarrass).

A huge part of Fighting L is learn to DI out of attacks. Careful of L's Dair too he can pressure from above a little like Peach.

@ Wolfs:
Does Wolf have any punish options like buffered Fsmash after shielding Lucario's whatever?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
:lucario: can buffer uthrow cg :wolf: to like 20%. That's guaranteed. :wolf: has no punishes after :lucario: Fsmash's his shield. Our Fsmash is too slow. If he's close enough you can grab of course, but that would be bad spacing on his part.

:018:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
:lucario: isn't really exceptional anywhere. I'd just say to not fight him on Frigate I guess. I prefer taking him to YI. Wall clinging/jumping is actually really predictable and the sides on the stage are really small.

:018:

Top Bottom