• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the hate on smash4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Melee is my favorite, but I dont hate Smash 4.
I really like Smash 4 alot! ^_^
Then my 3rd favorite is 64, and last is Brawl... (I have barely played PM so I'm not sure where to put it)
The only reason I'm not big on brawl is the lack of balance in that game, Melee has the largest number of top tier out of all the Smash games and is the most balanced; most everyone is tourney viable-
it seems to be this way with Smash 4 so far... most every character seems improved from brawl and everyone seems to be good at something. I feel like no character has really been left behind in smash 4, while to me personally, I saw an obvious bias towards certain characters and franchises in Brawl.

I think Smash 4 is a huge step up from Brawl and I dont hate it at all. (i dont truly hate brawl either)

Players gotta realize that each of the Smash games, while following the same concept, are fundamentally different from each other! It should be an easy thing to recognize it seems to me :p Just think about it! Smash started out in 1999-
the year is 2015, and there have only been 4 Smash games! Each game was developed years apart from each other, and each game was on a completely different system with a (completely?) different development team working on it with completely different Hardware while trying to make it work.
It's just plain unfair to compare them all to each other so... so haphazardly! You gotta take these factors into account when comparing them.

And another thing, faster isnt always better. Melee is often showboated around as the fastest and therefore the best but that isnt a fair assumption to make. Everyone is different and has different tastes so you shouldnt go around assuming your personal likes & not-likes are relatable with everyone else's, and if they disagree they are just dumb and dont know any better :glare:

As a Melee fan, I want you all to dearly know that not all Melee fans are this bigoted and behave this way-
I understand it's more than OK to favor what ever game you want over another based on personal taste and that doesnt make you any less of a competitive player than a "hardcore" Melee fan just becuz that one is not your favorite :)

I believe Smash 4 is a great game and has many prosperous years of a tourney scene and a bright future ahead of it! :grin:

Squire

Smash Apprentice
And another thing, faster isnt always better. Melee is often showboated around as the fastest and therefore the best but that isnt a fair assumption to make. Everyone is different and has different tastes so you shouldnt go around assuming your personal likes & not-likes are relatable with everyone else's, and if they disagree they are just dumb and dont know any better :glare:
Faster isn't always better, but Melee's speed is what makes it so technically challenging. The argument isn't that it's better, it's that it's more difficult and therefore more rewarding.

"Better" is a pretty vague and highly subjective statement. What isn't subjective is that Melee does have a higher skill ceiling. I think that's the argument a lot of Melee players are making, and it's being misconstrued into a debate over opinion.

Then again, a lot of people on both sides of the argument have been using rash statements to justify their opinions amidst attempts at actual discussion, but no one's perfect.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
Melee's engine allows for deeper gameplay compared to Smash 4, not just speed or skill ceiling.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Melee is definitely my favorite Smash Brothers game for an abundance of reasons including, but not limited to, nostalgia, depth of gameplay, trophies, and orchestrated music.
There's definitely reason to dislike Smash 4 after being given such a fantastic game but I definitely think the Smash fan-base is one of the worst it terms of acceptance. Nintendo still supports Melee's competitive play while also supporting Smash 4's play (whether you enjoy it or not). I think hate geared towards Sm4sh is people who can't help but complain about being displeased. You've been playing the same game for a decade; play it for another before thinking to start spouting crap left and right about your psuedo-intellectual analysis of Smash games and how much of an asshole Sakurai is. Another set of bullcrap is when people think that those who enjoy the playing of Smash 4 are simply riding a non-existent bandwagon of "hype". It's a funny thought, but perhaps not everything is built upon the meaning of being exciting, or as the "kewl kidz" describe it, "hype". Perhaps the average being who enjoys Smash 4 enjoys simply because they have fun with it. Which, of course, is impossible to fathom to a many of players because "HOW COULD ANYBODY ENJOY THE THING THAT I DON'T ENJOY?!?"

I've played Melee competitively, enjoyed it, but have since moved onto more casual game-play. Smash Brothers is a franchise that is ever-changing and has a couple of entries that are competitive. The rest is history made by a fan-base that cannot and will never stop whining about the thoughts of other human beings and separate opinions.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
edit: Oh and let me just add this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM
Last time I checked, SFIV doesn't have anything near as execution heavy as this. But you know, I'm just an apologist, I know nothing about what makes a game viable and competitive.
You don’t know anything about Street Fighter IV if you think Daigo’s tech from over 10 years ago requires more skill than half the stuff in SSFIV.

Parrying all of Chun Li’s super is actually pretty common in high level 3rd strike now… it’s considered to be pretty easy. Please, know what you’re talking about before drawing parallels between smash and street fighter
Half of the FADC combos / setups in street fighter 4 are harder to do than parrying chun li’s super in 3rd strike.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm gonna admit, my scene is primarily Smash, MAHVEL and Anime fighters (like GGXrd and Uniel), so my SF knowledge is weak and based on people who probably never moved on past 3rd Strike. That and I completely forgotten about things like 1 Frame Links and whatnot. So that whole point is moot and embarrassing :facepalm:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I'm gonna admit, my scene is primarily Smash, MAHVEL and Anime fighters (like GGXrd and Uniel), so my SF knowledge is weak and based on people who probably never moved on past 3rd Strike. That and I completely forgotten about things like 1 Frame Links and whatnot. So that whole point is moot and embarrassing :facepalm:
No worries dude.

It all comes back to that one simple thing. Other fighting games improve and add new techniques to new games ESPECIALLY when they remove an existing one. We saw parrying removed in SSFIV but all kinds of new techs stemming from the focus attack that were created.

Smash's problem is that it's a fighting game that doesn't want to be a fighting game. They remove techs considered to be OP but then neglect to replace them with new ones... which is ****ing stupid and it's why smash 4 is boring as all hell.

If smash 4 had removed all this stuff, but added new things in it would have been a much better game IMO. They're lazy and don't want to put the effort required into complicated gameplay mechanics and just want to make money off Nintendo fanboys which they are doing a stellar job. You can't argue that from a marketing standpoint, smash 4 is a HUGE success.

Sadly, due to the shallow nature of it's gameplay it doesn't have a chance in the long run. People will abandon it the moment a new smash game comes out. Melee is so deep that we're discovering new things about it even in 20xx.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Faster isn't always better, but Melee's speed is what makes it so technically challenging. The argument isn't that it's better, it's that it's more difficult and therefore more rewarding.

"Better" is a pretty vague and highly subjective statement. What isn't subjective is that Melee does have a higher skill ceiling. I think that's the argument a lot of Melee players are making, and it's being misconstrued into a debate over opinion.

Then again, a lot of people on both sides of the argument have been using rash statements to justify their opinions amidst attempts at actual discussion, but no one's perfect.
The thing about the higher skill ceiling, that makes sense to me, I agree~
Personally though, I dont find Melee anymore difficult than the other 3, I've been playing it on and off so much L-cancels and the like are just second nature to me. The only thing that's remotely noticeable to me now with all the Smash games is both Melee's and 64's faster speed when compared to brawl & Sm4sh.

I was just trying to look at it from a "hardcore" enthusiasts point of view with that post, and why they would say negative things about Smash 4 or the other two Smash games when comparing it to Melee. I'm not on any side, I'm in the neutral middle ground-
just trying to state that all the Smash games have their own strengths and flaws, their own concept of whats rewarding and whats not. I dont think that any game is "better" than the other, it all comes down to ones own personal taste~

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I was just trying to look at it from a "hardcore" enthusiasts point of view with that post, and why they would say negative things about Smash 4 or the other two Smash games when comparing it to Melee. I'm not on any side, I'm in the neutral middle ground-
just trying to state that all the Smash games have their own strengths and flaws, their own concept of whats rewarding and whats not. I don't think that any game is "better" than the other, it all comes down to ones own personal taste~
An interesting take on what you say about feeling rewarded I never really thought about.

In Melee, when I can take a stock by reacting on the fly to my opponent's DI, techs, weight, percentage, positioning compared to the edge or platforms while combining all these AT's I've learned individually into one "combo" or series of hits topping it off with a good edge guard, while short lived, is possibly one of the most rewarding feelings I've ever felt in a fighting game and feels unique to me each time I am graced with one. Just knowing I can culminate all the knowledge and tech I have worked for in this game into something like that is simply beautiful to me and something I cannot experience in any other game. Not to mention watching others do it is satisfyingly entertaining to watch as well. Even when it happens to me I can't help but smile and just tell the other person "Yo, that was sick".

There is no feeling like that in Sm4sh. I'll pat myself on the back when I down throw, anticipate an air dodge and fair someone in the face with Ganon into a satisfying KO, but in the end it's just not the same. The rush is there, even if I can convert a long stock into that KO, but the reward is just different.

Last edited:

Squire

Smash Apprentice
possibly one of the most rewarding feelings I've ever felt in a fighting game and feels unique to me each time I am graced with one. Just knowing I can culminate all the knowledge and tech I have worked for in this game into something like that is simply beautiful to me and something I cannot experience in any other game.

...And there you have it.

Last edited:

_A1

Smash Apprentice
I don't think this gets enough mention but so many characters' movesets, physics, and playstyles are changed(less fun) between Melee and Smash 4. For example, Melee Fox/Falco are characterized by SHFFL aerials, lasers, and the shine. You don't get any of that in Smash 4 and that really sucks for a whole lot of people.

There are many other reasons why I don't like Smash 4, but the very first thing that always comes to mind when I play it is the lack of MOVEMENT. The game feels really restrictive, slow, clunky, and floaty. I feel crippled, handicapped when I play and how can I enjoy a game that gives that kind of impression? More than anything else, Melee is so fun because of the MOVEMENT. It really is the biggest difference between Melee and the other official titles.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
@ R Roukiske Well said my friend. You put it into words more cleverly than I ever could do on why Melee is also my favorite Smash game ^^

I just... dont want there to be any hate inside the community against other smash players, if possible. There must a valid reason why some prefer the other games over Melee.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
@ R Roukiske Well said my friend. You put it into words more cleverly than I ever could do on why Melee is also my favorite Smash game ^^

I just... dont want there to be any hate inside the community against other smash players, if possible. There must a valid reason why some prefer the other games over Melee.
Ease of control for me. I really want to main Luigi in Melee, for instance, but something about him doesn't feel right. Just small things like, I really love the way he handles in Smash 4, and the controls are perfect for me in that game. I think I said in a previous comment that Melee feels too stiff for me personally, and I liken that to the fact that I can't turn the tap jump button off like in Brawl onward, so...that's a bummer. I often try continuing up air or up tilt strings with Luigi in Melee, but I often just end up jumping by mistake and it's so annoying and probably noobish sounding, but it just sucks.

Thank God I can toggle it on and off in Project M. If I could afford another Wii I'd be focusing competitively squarely on Project M as well as Smash 4. But as a college boy who has to keep up with things money wise to stay in college, I don't think I can just pick up a Wii any time soon.

But to answer your question, here's my pretty valid reasons why I prefer Smash 4 over Melee, some small, others are huge to me.
  • Tap jump toggle.
  • Seemingly endless customization which I find appealing.
  • Custom stages (there's been a ongoing effort to make legal custom stages the norm. Just more options).
  • Custom moves, even though people seem very 50-50 on their inclusion in tournaments. I'm for them.
  • Variety of characters and their varying movesets. How tourney viable they will be in the long run is anyone's guess of the cast, but there has so far been a very healthy showing of diverse characters placing in tourneys which is great. There is something for everyone here.
I think it's primarily the options this game provides which I think will really lengthen its life span with the amount of possibilities. I think with the exception of my tap jump gripe, all of these reasons can be justified in why it could appeal to those who want to get into Smash 4 competitively.

Of course, feel free to argue against my reasoning as I'm only one guy. :)

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Melee's engine allows for deeper gameplay compared to Smash 4, not just speed or skill ceiling.
Not to mention all the techniques, mid and advanced, along with all the movement options you have.

It kills me not being able to do retreating aerials in Smash 4. Also I'll take L-cancel over auto cancels anyday.

Everyone benefits from L-canceling (except for :gawmelee: on some of his moves) not everyone benefits from auto cancels since the timing is so different for everyone's moves.
Good examples of characters who suffer hard from bad auto cancel windows are :4marth::4charizard:&:4zelda:(it's not easy using :4zelda:lightning kicks when you're used to :zeldamelee:kicks)

I don't hate auto canceling, but having options is always nice to have.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
What?

Idk much about Zelda but Marth and Zard are fine on auto cancel windows.
Mainly talking about short hops more than anything.

People keep telling me that Marth and Charizard have bad windows so if you can prove them wrong, go ahead. I know Charizard's bair window is terrible though.

As for Zelda...

Basically It's impossible to short hop-even full hop auto cancel a bair, fair's window is very hard to land even with a full hop, down air barely works (like 2 frame or so) upair is impossible in a single jump, and I'm not sure about nair.

This hurts most with bair and fair because there's like 10 years (around 25/23 frames give or take respectively) worth of landing lag which means if you don't land a sweet spot, you'll eat a forward smash or any other strong move that can be done under 1/2 a second.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I often try continuing up air or up tilt strings with Luigi in Melee, but I often just end up jumping by mistake and it's so annoying and probably noobish sounding, but it just sucks.
Regarding U-Airs, just use the c-stick for them. Use the c-stick for any aerial really. After that, it's just a matter of learning not to tilt the stick too far to do whatever you need to do.

As for me, I just like the way Smash 4 feels compared to Melee. A lot of people will say that it's too slow, and there aren't movement options, but it doesn't really bother me. My biggest gripe is that dash-dancing is practically useless (as far as I know), but even that doesn't bug me too much. I also have Project M (even though no one in my scene plays that anymore :(). Why not just play Melee? Because it being like Melee isn't the appeal to me, but being a more fun Brawl is. Oh, and I may have said this earlier, but my mains (ZSS/Palutena) aren't in Melee. Sure I could pick up a new main (Marth), but it's not the same.

Deem them not good reasons? Okay...

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
The true beauty of Melee is that it's deceptively simple at first, but it can take you a life time to master and discover everything. It has an insane amount of emergent gameplay mechanics, more than almost any other game I've every played.

That is why I always chuckle when I see kids complain about how much it costs used now....you buy Melee and you are set for the next 20 years trying to learn and master everything.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Mainly talking about short hops more than anything.

People keep telling me that Marth and Charizard have bad windows so if you can prove them wrong, go ahead. I know Charizard's bair window is terrible though.

As for Zelda...

Basically It's impossible to short hop-even full hop auto cancel a bair, fair's window is very hard to land even with a full hop, down air barely works (like 2 frame or so) upair is impossible in a single jump, and I'm not sure about nair.

This hurts most with bair and fair because there's like 10 years (around 25/23 frames give or take respectively) worth of landing lag which means if you don't land a sweet spot, you'll eat a forward smash or any other strong move that can be done under 1/2 a second.
They are dead wrong, especially for Marth and Lucina.

Nair just needs you to jump a little higher then let the animation for farther before it auto cancels, you can do it right into a grab or jab or anything.

Bair is similar.

The only reason people say they are wonky is because his windows aren't the same like the cast, ie Marth/Lucina in this situation.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
They are dead wrong, especially for Marth and Lucina.

Nair just needs you to jump a little higher then let the animation for farther before it auto cancels, you can do it right into a grab or jab or anything.

Bair is similar.

The only reason people say they are wonky is because his windows aren't the same like the cast, ie Marth/Lucina in this situation.
Looks like I've been lied to then. Thanks for spreading the truth!

I also just realized you're a mod, which I didn't see at first for some reason. (Probably because of :roymelee:'s hair)

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The true beauty of Melee is that it's deceptively simple at first, but it can take you a life time to master and discover everything. It has an insane amount of emergent gameplay mechanics, more than almost any other game I've every played.

That is why I always chuckle when I see kids complain about how much it costs used now....you buy Melee and you are set for the next 20 years trying to learn and master everything.

You can say that for anything actually.

I was just playing Mario kart Wii the other day doing Time trials. Discovered how much tighter I could cut a corner to beat my previous time. Think about how much more I could discover and master?

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
You can say that for anything actually.

I was just playing Mario kart Wii the other day doing Time trials. Discovered how much tighter I could cut a corner to beat my previous time. Think about how much more I could discover and master?
I remember doing those. Getting all those fast staff ghosts weren't fun to unlock, but it made me a better player at the game since it basically forced you to get good times which had the indirect effect of making me better in the process

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Pfft... whatever. You're still wrong though...

I remember doing those. Getting all those fast staff ghosts weren't fun to unlock, but it made me a better player at the game since it basically forced you to get good times which had the indirect effect of making me better in the process
If only getting better actually meant something. No, instead you get hit by 50 blue shells, 100 lightnings, and a banana at the final stretch.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Yes you can, for a lot of things lol.
So Mario Kart Wii has as much emergent gameplay and endless game mechanics to discover?

Yes you can spend a life time mastering any game (even Tetris), but those other 2 aspects you don't find in many games in such abundance like Melee.

Repetitively beating your own time on a Kart game is not the same.

lol

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You can't use my example and tell me not to reply to you! :glare:

When you beat your own time, you're also beating everyone else's time, and thus become a better player. It's definitely the same.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
I think what @ kingPiano kingPiano (sick name, read it as king hippo at first) is referring to when he said "you can't" is that while most, possibly everything has stuff to discover and master, some of it can be found and mastered done super fast (like 1 month) while other things can take years to master or even discover.

I remember reading on Reddit once that someone discovered "light power shielding" or something like that and everyone was saying how even over a decade since Melee came out they're still finding new techniques.

That's just an example.

That said, discovering everything and mastering everything can vary hugely from one thing to another.
If only getting better actually meant something. No, instead you get hit by 50 blue shells, 100 lightnings, and a banana at the final stretch.
Getting a blooper as your final item when you're in 5th place when the guy behind you gets triple mushrooms...that hurts.

I sometimes felt sorry for people in first who get hit by a blue shell right by the finish line only for me to pass them and take first all because I was in 2nd even though he deserved it more than me.
You can't use my example and tell me not to reply to you! :glare:
That made me laugh. Beautiful response.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Yes

Emergent gameplay, I'm not sure if that term is fully understood by the responders here. On the other hand using the same exact mechanics and stagnant gameplay strategies only leaves room for your personal reaction time and memory to help increase trial times or a Tetris score. Much different than what I'm talking about.

Mario Kart Wii doesn't have game changing gameplay discoveries or an evolving meta like Melee still does.

Wavedashing
Dash Dancing
DI
Combo DI
Shield dropping
crouch cancelling
Jab resets
wall teching
WD out of shield
etc

Not to mention the countless character specific Meta evolutions:
Wobbling
Multi-shine
Jigglypuff going from non-viable to top tier
Ken Combo
Marth Killer
Drop zone
the list goes on and on....

I used the MK Wii example since you actually edited that in after the fact. My initial request for you to not respond to my posts was really about earlier how you used the SF3 example and SF4 analogy and then later admitted to not actually knowing what you were talking about at all after going on and on about it. I don't like getting into discussions with people that make stuff up as they go and seek out arguments that they aren't really even knowledgeable about (which usually ends in BS and time wasted). It's quite annoying and can be a detriment to this site.

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Yes

Emergent gameplay, I'm not sure if that term is fully understood by the responders here. On the other hand using the same exact mechanics and stagnant gameplay strategies only leaves room for your personal reaction time and memory to help increase trial times or a Tetris score. Much different than what I'm talking about.

Mario Kart Wii doesn't have game changing gameplay discoveries or an evolving meta like Melee does and it's been out WAY WAY LONGER.

Wavedashing
Dash Dancing
DI
Combo DI
Shield dropping
crouch cancelling
Jab resets
wall teching
WD out of shield
etc

Not to mention the countless character specific Meta evolutions:
Wobbling
Multi-shine
Jigglypuff going from non-viable to top tier
Ken Combo
Marth Killer
Drop zone
the list goes on and on....
SHFFL's can be added to that list too.

Even just separating all the parts of a SHFFL can make a difference.

Examples:

:falcomelee:has a huge first jump, but a very short-short hop.

:ganondorfmelee:&:linkmelee:benefit greatly from L canceling.

:foxmelee:&:falconmelee: and other fast fallers can get a huge boost from fast falling since they drop so fast.

Obviously everyone benefits from SHFFL's, but some characters benefit from it more than others.

Also DJC exists for those that can use it.

Finally, :samusmelee: :linkmelee: & :younglinkmelee: using bombs and their tether grapples to help with recovery.

Man there's a ton of stuff to to this game. No wonder it keeps on living in strides.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Yeah, that's it. Thanks based Kurri:4zss:.
Glad I could help!

I know that there's a lot of things to master in Melee and there's a lot more to discover, but I fail to see how that's a reason why game X is better than game Y; otherwise Sonic 06 would be a masterpiece considering someone did the unfortunate task of discovering a faster way to get through the game (maybe that's a good thing, you won't have to spend as much time playing it now).

if we're gonna talk about meta evolution, why not just play a Moba, those metas change all the time, and they have constantly evolving emergent gameplay too.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
MOBAs change mostly from patches and changes in response to what other people play, and team play being a core thing.

Smash 4 will likely turn more to this way with patches.

Where as more Spacies are showing up in PM because they remain untouched for some dumb reason.

Melee is kind of turning into more spacies since game balance is static and they are the best two characters.

Patches, DLC etc can breath life into a lot of games now a days.

Melee stays aiive not really because people discover things like holding A for a better powershield but because people like the game and PM + Evo + Documentary gave it more life.

Different reasons but Smash 4 is more simular to the MOBA part, and PM.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Glad I could help!

I know that there's a lot of things to master in Melee and there's a lot more to discover, but I fail to see how that's a reason why game X is better than game Y; otherwise Sonic 06 would be a masterpiece considering someone did the unfortunate task of discovering a faster way to get through the game (maybe that's a good thing, you won't have to spend as much time playing it now).

if we're gonna talk about meta evolution, why not just play a Moba, those metas change all the time, and they have constantly evolving emergent gameplay too.
I was just adding to king piano's post of some stuff that he didn't include that I actually have knowledge of. :shades:

I personally don't really care a whole lot how many techniques a game has as long as it's fun.

That's all that matters to me.

Example: Star Fox: Assault has some of the greatest multiplayer I've ever played and the only game that can rival Smash in multiplayer fun. Despite that, it's not very advanced at all.

Probably the most advanced thing is memorizing where weapons and items spawn.

But it's incredibly fun to play and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

And who ever did all that sonic 06 stuff is a glutton for punishment. He/she is a hardy one.

Last edited:

_A1

Smash Apprentice
@ #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu Since when was the "lack of balance" a real hindrance for the Melee community at large? The game has way too many other positives that heavily outweigh character balance. Otherwise Melee wouldn't be so damn big with a pretty good bunch of mid/low tier mains out there too.

Plus even the best Melee Fox players lose to favorable matchups like Peach, Pika, Jiggs, ICs, etc. Melee players are not entirely erasing, but closing the gap between tiers.

A bit biased, but spacies are actually cool and enjoyable to play and watch by many, and people love to see combos on fastfallers. You could easily say that Smash 4 has a flock of Diddys and is Diddy honestly a fan favorite?

Melee gathered new players from the Doc and Evo hype, but the hype would just die down if the game sucked. But it's ****ing unique and amazing so Melee has more lifelong fans than any other game.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
@ #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu Since when was the "lack of balance" a real hindrance for the Melee community at large? The game has way too many other positives that heavily outweigh character balance. Otherwise Melee wouldn't be so damn big with a pretty good bunch of mid/low tier mains out there too.

Plus even the best Melee Fox players lose to favorable matchups like Peach, Pika, Jiggs, ICs, etc. Melee players are not entirely erasing, but closing the gap between tiers.

A bit biased, but spacies are actually cool and enjoyable to play and watch by many, and people love to see combos on fastfallers. You could easily say that Smash 4 has a flock of Diddys and is Diddy honestly a fan favorite?

Melee gathered new players from the Doc and Evo hype, but the hype would just die down if the game sucked. But it's ****ing unique and amazing so Melee has more lifelong fans than any other game.
Smash in general is amazing even if people prefer one or the other. That alone will make it ride, but Melee got a large boost from the three things I mentioned.

But trust me, lack of balance can really piss people off sometimes, it's why I eventually turned on MvC2 after playing it for as long as I did before smash.

Melee is loved, but balance is a legit con against it and I can relate to that, I don't think it is that bad but it hasn't gotten better over the years, actually it has gotten worse.

Which is something PM and Smash 4 have over it with patches.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I was just adding to king piano's post of some stuff that he didn't include that I actually have knowledge of. :shades:
Oh no worries, I figured you were. I just needed some way to reply to some person without directly quoting them and unfortunately your post was the exact thing I needed. I apologize for that.

I personally don't really care a whole lot how many techniques a game has as long as it's fun.
Which is my point. I'm gonna use you again, sorry. You don't play Melee because of all that delicious tech you can discover, but because "Oh, hey, it's fun!" Discovering new things is just a bonus and I'm certain most people aren't actively trying to find the next big thing, but they find it accidentally while having fun.

And who ever did all that sonic 06 stuff is a glutton for punishment. He/she is a hardy one.
We Sonic fans have become rugged after repeated mediocre releases. Sonic 06 is nothing, Sonic Boom on the other hand... I don't wanna think about it.

You could easily say that Smash 4 has a flock of Diddys and is Diddy honestly a fan favorite?
People were just annoyed about how easy down throw to u-air killed and that's been patched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom