• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Lady Gaga is better than your faves.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
If only gifs counted as arguments.

The only thing lady gaga can brag about is having 5 #1 singles from one album.
Oh, she hasn't? I must be confusing her with someone else...

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Fujin, your posts were so bad.

First of all, you used METACRITIC for something music related.
Then, you picked each one of my artist's WORST albums, found the WORST results for them, and compared them to Lady Gaga's best. One word, bias.

Let's see how Nas' Illmatic or Bjork's Homogenic stack up against Lady Gaga's proclaimed "Fame Monster".

I also adore how you left out every Radiohead album, because each and every single one of them beat any of Lady Gaga's on even METACRITIC.

Lmao, get destroyed.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I used metacritic, he was using a random other reviewer i've never heard of...

Why wouldn't you use metacritic?
If you're going to be basing your opinions off of critics (which you really shouldn't) you should be doing it off of a score congregation site like metacritic.

z00ted

I used metacritic, he was using a random other reviewer i've never heard of...

Why wouldn't you use metacritic?
If you're going to be basing your opinions off of critics (which you really shouldn't) you should be doing it off of a score congregation site like metacritic.
First of all, there is nothing wrong with critics. They are also a member of the public and hold basically the same vote (if not more) as everyone else. I've said this before and I'll say this again, music is subject to opinion.

It's better to pool the votes of people who adamantly listen to music, rather than people who switch from Hannah Montana, then Live Free Or Die Hard, and finally to Lady Gaga on a daily basis.

Sputnikmusic.com is wayyyy better, and there are tons of other sites just like it.
It pools the public + music critics votes and has multiple reviews on any artist and their album.

Another thing, the website focuses only on MUSIC, unlike Metacritic which varies off into videogames, movies, etc etc. It's too broad.

This is just my opinion, though. If you want to resort to Metacritic, then be my guest lmao.

Here's some examples from Sputnik.

As you can see on the far right side of each page there are red bars tallying votes by the users of the site. Anyone is allowed to vote, but I think it displays a more accurate opinion on how critically acclaimed any album may be. It also brings in far more votes when compared to Metacritic, and stronger reviews.

Each album is surveyed on a 5/5 scale.
1 being one the worst, 5 being a masterpiece or classic.

Nas - Illmatic

Bjork - Homogenic

Radiohead - OK Computer

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster

Lady Gaga - Born This Way

Awwww, sorry Fujin.
Looks like you just lost. :(

I would also like to state that Lady Gaga is an attention seeking hoe that creates terrible sell out lyrics to appeal to modern day America as time progresses. At first, she was tolerable. But now, she's getting extremely out of hand, vulgar, and just a disgrace to any common music admirer. Her fanbase consists primarily of gays and doesn't hold a lot of variety (not that there is anything wrong with being gay, but there is a problem when an artist who primarily only appeals to a certain group of people), and the only reason she is so successful (popularity wise) is because she pinpoints controversial issues (for example, gay rights) in America and reveals them to the public. She is no different than Eminem, Public Enemy, *insert revolutionary rap-artist here* (who all at their prime were far better), except for the fact that she creates "pop" music, has a vagina as well as breasts, and creates attention by performing satanic crap 24/7.

If in the music industry to make a profit, Lady Gaga can be considered a genius.

If in the music industry to create emotional and timeless music, Lady Gaga is trash.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Holy ****. I agree with Spelt on something... we're doomed, everyone.

But word, GaGa can never compare to Micheal Jackson, Andy Williams, or Elton John.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
First of all, there is nothing wrong with critics. They are also a member of the public and hold basically the same vote (if not more) as everyone else. I've said this before and I'll say this again, music is subject to opinion.
This whole paragraph is extremely contradictory.

Critics do have their own opinions and do have as much say as any other person, that's the problem. You can't trust a critic's review more than you can anyone else's. Even less so when you consider all most critics are doing the majority of the time is listening through an album once (sometimes not even listening to the entire songs) and then giving their brief first impressions with a number at the end, and we're supposed to take these numbers as fact? Not likely. These people want their paychecks, that's all.

Then there's the extremely ... publicly biased people that shouldn't even be allowed to write for such sites/publications.

z00ted

This whole paragraph is extremely contradictory.

Critics do have their own opinions and do have as much say as any other person, that's the problem. You can't trust a critic's review more than you can anyone else's. Even less so when you consider all most critics are doing the majority of the time is listening through an album once (sometimes not even listening to the entire songs) and then giving their brief first impressions with a number at the end, and we're supposed to take these numbers as fact? Not likely. These people want their paychecks, that's all.

Then there's the extremely ... publicly biased people that shouldn't even be allowed to write for such sites/publications.
Oh God.....

You just made critics sound like murderers or something :urg:
Remember, they listen to music frequently... it's their job.

It's also not like how you put it all around, bro
I don't know what type of critics you've been following lmao.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh God.....

You just made critics sound like murderers or something :urg:
No, not at all.
If you want to play that game you're making them sound like saints, as if they're more reliable than the average person just because they've mastered the art of fluff and $5 words.

Remember, they listen to music frequently... it's their job.
They listen to their music frequently, not (hopefully) what they're writing about.
A boss/supervisor would be wise to keep those two things separated.

It's also not like how you put it all around, bro
I don't know what type of critics you've been following lmao.
Did you know in the beatles' day a popular critic at that time said that they were something only hitler would enjoy?

z00ted

ok?

why are you trying to argue with me about this.. lmao
critics are allowed to have their own opinion too

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
ok?

why are you trying to argue with me about this.. lmao
critics are allowed to have their own opinion too
Why were you trying to argue with me about this if all you were gonna do was evade everything I say and repeat yourself?

z00ted

Um, there is nothing to really argue about.

We both agree.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Matter of an opinion, although this thread is obviously a joke it would be the same if I gave reasons to why chicken is better than kebab.

Also

Gaga ****ing sucks

z00ted

So you don't think music is subject to opinion?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Really? Do these tactics ever work?
Please actually read my posts and come back when you have a thoughtful response.

I'll just quit and let you and fuujin go at it. That should be fun.

falln

Smash Ace
baby you're a fiiiiirrework
come and show em whattttt you're worth
make em go ohhh ohhh ohhhhh
as you shoot across the skyyyyyyyyy

gaga has yet to rhyme oh with sky so i dont think shes in contention for best anyone of anything

z00ted

baby you're a fiiiiirrework
come and show em whattttt you're worth
make em go ohhh ohhh ohhhhh
as you shoot across the skyyyyyyyyy

gaga has yet to rhyme oh with sky so i dont think shes in contention for best anyone of anything
safiopspdfisdpfisdfpaisdf LOOOOOOOOOL

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually it goes

make em go ah ah ah
as you shoot across the skah ah ay

z00ted

Why do you have to argue over the most minute things?
Falln was just trying to make a joke, calm the hell down and get that stick out of your ***.

Edit: Wait, you're SPELT?
Dude, wtf... what happened to you? You're a big meany head now.

:c

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why do you have to argue over the most minute things?
Falln was just trying to make a joke, calm the hell down and get that stick out of your ***.
It takes 2 people to make an argument. I said that you shouldn't trust critics and all you had to say was lolno u dumb, and then I actually backed up my opinion and you just called me rude and started rewording my post. If anyone's at fault it's you, because apparently i'm not allowed to express my opinions.

As for the falln thing, I was just innocently correcting a small mistake, and then he got defensive. Wasn't even trying to be rude, and it's not like that correction makes the joke any less valid.

Stop being overdramatic.

Also, i've always been a douche.

z00ted

Once again, music is subject to opinion.

I can do whatever I please when it comes to judging what I listen to.

I could stick it in my deaf Grandma's ear and ask what she likes about it, or I could do the same for well informed people on a music site.

To some, Lady Gaga may be better than Beethoven.
To others, Beethoven better than Lady Gaga.

Everyone is a critic.
By saying it's not right to trust critics can be true, but not always.
Nine times out of ten I will love something that music critics hold highly, am I in the wrong for that?

If you expect people to not somewhat base their opinions off of other's or to not even explore into something another person has recommended you "because it's bad" you are limiting so much growth any so many ideas that humanity can benefit from.

You contradict yourself by stating that publicly biased people "shouldn't even be allowed to write for such sites/publications". You stated in the previous paragraph that critics and any other person hold the same weight when it comes to opinions, yet you demean the so called publicly biased reviewer.

So Spelt, enlighten me.

Since I can't base my opinions off of the public because they over-exaggerate.... and I can't base it off of critics because they just want their paychecks.....

How do we determine what music is good/bad?

Looks like it's subject to opinion.

I'm just the type that likes to invest in buying an album that avid fans of music have listened to countless amounts of times and given praise to compared to asking the chick next door or Metacritic.

I almost always enjoy what I listen to and this probability of enjoyment is so high because the critics I base part of my selection off of acknowledge their audience and their history of admiration in specific genres or styles.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
There we go.

Ok, never argued this.

I can do whatever I please when it comes to judging what I listen to.
Again, okay.

I could stick it in my deaf Grandma's ear and ask what she likes about it, or I could do the same for well informed people on a music site.
This extremely inaccurate and almost sarcastic comparison was honestly fine until the "Well informed" because that, also, is based off of opinions. Someone you say is well informed I might think is an idiot.

To some, Lady Gaga may be better than Beethoven.
To others, Beethoven better than Lady Gaga.
Okay.

Everyone is a critic.
This is what i'm saying...

By saying it's not right to trust critics can be true, but not always.
...Music critics are just as qualified as anyone else. You agree with me about this? Then why should you listen to them more than anyone else?

Nine times out of ten I will love something that music critics hold highly, am I in the wrong for that?
I know for a fact this is just not true.
I can pull of 10 random examples of albums I have that got universal critical acclaim and you would defecate all over them.
You have specific interests in music, and music that is generally held highly by critics isn't going to interest you unless it's already the type of music you know or at least suspect you might listen to.

If you expect people to not somewhat base their opinions off of other's or to not even explore into something another person has recommended you "because it's bad" you are limiting so much growth any so many ideas that humanity can benefit from.
I never argued against this either really, but if you're talking about bias here, then yeah, bias is bad when you're a critic. The least you could do is try to be as neutral as possible. People who just go in half cocked and write crap like "This artist is terrible and just as I suspected this album lives up to the rest of the **** this artist has presented us with over the years" shouldn't be allowed to write for large publications. It's just terrible writing.

You contradict yourself by stating that publicly biased people "shouldn't even be allowed to write for such sites/publications". You stated in the previous paragraph that critics and any other person hold the same weight when it comes to opinions, yet you demean the so called publicly biased reviewer.
Read above. There's a difference between having and showing your bias in a casual environment and writing an official article with it in mind. It's called being professional.

So Spelt, enlighten me.
Man I can practically feel the condescending remarks that are about to follow.

Since I can't base my opinions off of the public because they over-exaggerate....
I never said this.

and I can't base it off of critics because they just want their paychecks.....
This I did say.

How do we determine what music is good/bad?
Like I said, if you do want to base your decision off of critics do it from a site like metacritic. The one you brought up works fine too, it's not my cup of tea, but that's fine.

If you're interested in a certain album or artist listen to it. Why is that so difficult? You could talk to people who legitimately enjoy and have indepth knowledge in that specific genre and see how they feel about it but honestly the only opinion that matters when it comes to your music preferences is yours.

Looks like it's subject to opinion.
I.
Never.
Argued.
Against.
This.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm just the type that likes to invest in buying an album that avid fans of music have listened to countless amounts of times and given praise to compared to asking the chick next door or Metacritic.
What the hell? Metacritic will tell you exactly that. Higher score = higher praise...

I almost always enjoy what I listen to and this probability of enjoyment is so high because the critics I base part of my selection off of acknowledge their audience and their history of admiration in specific genres or styles.
I enjoy what I listen to because i'm able to try whatever song or artist i'm interested in and I can form my own opinions on them. Picking out your entire music library based on what generally gets great critic reviews is going to give you an extremely narrow view of music.

To summarize, I know music interests are based off of opinions. I realize critics have these opinions. Does that make them more qualified to judge music than anyone else? No. If you really want to be as well versed in music as possible than you should branch out and listen to things you may not enjoy or even have terrible critic reviews, because i'm sure you've enjoyed at least one song/movie/game that got below average reviews, if not more.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster

Lady Gaga - Born This Way

Awwww, sorry Fujin.
Looks like you just lost. :(

The man who wrote the review for TFM is obviously a pressed hater.

Hipster website.
H8ing on the mainstream pop queen.
Pressed IMO TBQH

Lady Gaga may be better than Beethoven.
Glad we can agree on something.

Just came here for the GIFs, yo.

Fuujin btw, dat *** ♥

Top Bottom