• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Why is this stage banned?" A Q&A regarding stage legality

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The speed isn't even that fast. Rumble Falls' base speed is super slow unlike Icicle mountain, and the speed ups have obvious warnings.
The stage always goes in the same patterns so the spikes are easily avoidable, unlesss you get grab released into them, though it's a little trickier to do with the stage being designed like that.
If this is too intrusinve, then you might as well ban Norfair and Pictochat for being just as intrusive or worse.
Why did the stage get hastily banned when it's clearly better than icicle Mountain????

After playing the stage at THIS speed for such a long time, the stage seems super slow when I put the speed back to normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YIYx-nqjg

sunshade

Smash Ace
I too am curious about seeing a write-up on Japes. I'll be hosting an upcoming tournament, and I'm receiving a little resistance for the decision to include Japes on the stage list. I see a lot of major tournaments banning it these days (MLG and Apex), but I have yet to see any intelligent discussion covering what makes it more qualified for a ban than some of the other generally accepted stages.

I know that there was mention that the BBR had input in making the rules for MLG, and that some of the MLG rules were likely coming from the upcoming ruleset. Do they know something I don't, or is is it mostly just a case of "other people are banning it so we should ban it too"?
I dont really know what I would write about jungle japes. Stages are legal until we find a reason for them being banned. Thats why I put the reason for being banned first then the common response for each stage.

It kinda feels like being asked to write why Final Destination is legal.

I'd say move Rumble Falls into the 2nd category. Just looking through the spoiler tags, it is the ONLY stage in either category that does not have a green-colored clear reason for banning.

You could argue that it has overly intrusive hazards (the spikes, the "speed up" segments) marginalizing player skill, but that would put it into the 2nd category.
Thanks for pointing this out. When I reformatted the categorys I forgot to move Rumble falls down to arguable. (which is why it didnt have anything written for it since I thought I got everything in banned >.>)

I moved rumble falls and added in a write up for it. Now I have to add a write up for Yoshi's Islands pipes, and Luigi's Mansion.

sunshade

Smash Ace
The most legitimate reason I have heard for Yoshi's Island melee is that planking within the central pit over centralizes. I found this a bit far fetched so I was not inclined to place it into the thread.

I am going to look into the validity of light-circle with the blocks but the stage's small size makes me question the effectiveness from the get go.

Tesh

Smash Hero
That's absurd, you can't circle camp around those blocks any better than you can circle camp on brinstar/battlefield upper platforms. Its not much of a circle if your opponent can go straight to you at almost any time. After all, you can temporarily destroy the middle of the circle (with far less effort than Luigi's Mansion).

I'm having a hard time understanding how you can plank the middle of the stage any better than other ledges. Is it because there are 2 ledges eliminating the risk of being edgehogged?

For Big Blue, does circle camping really count if its only temporary? Stages like Delfino, Castle Seige, Rainbow Cruise and Pokemon Stadium have issues that would meet the proposed ban criteria, but they aren't banned because they aren't permanent. I hate Big Blue I wouldn't even want to play a friendly match there (unless you include bunny hoods), but that doesn't seem like it should be the official reason its banned.

Also, what exactly does "excessively skewed matchups" mean? Couldn't one argue that matchups are excessively skewed on Japes or Rainbow Cruise? I understand that walkoff camping can be trouble, but its still far more risky than planking on any ledge on any stage.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I thought D3 had easy CG kills toward the right side of the stage.
Only on Link, Ganondorf, DK (infinite anyways), Luacrio, and Wario.

I think there was another but I cant remember off hand.

That's absurd, you can't circle camp around those blocks any better than you can circle camp on brinstar/battlefield upper platforms. Its not much of a circle if your opponent can go straight to you at almost any time. After all, you can temporarily destroy the middle of the circle (with far less effort than Luigi's Mansion).
I was joking more so than being serious.

I'm having a hard time understanding how you can plank the middle of the stage any better than other ledges. Is it because there are 2 ledges eliminating the risk of being edgehogged?
You can be edge hogged even with two ledges.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Overswarm#p/u/4/J6IV4a45SVo

For Big Blue, does circle camping really count if its only temporary? Stages like Delfino, Castle Seige, Rainbow Cruise and Pokemon Stadium have issues that would meet the proposed ban criteria, but they aren't banned because they aren't permanent. I hate Big Blue I wouldn't even want to play a friendly match there (unless you include bunny hoods), but that doesn't seem like it should be the official reason its banned.
The platforms are on stage much longer than they are on screen. You are able to hard-circle stall for about 30% of the match (from my own personal experience) and you are able to light circle for about 75% of the match.

Now like you said this is not 100% of the time however it is present for a long enough time that expecting a player to regain a lost lead is highly unreasonable. Its almost like telling a bowser player, on Final destination, fighting King Dedede, with the infinite allowed to just deal with it.

Also, what exactly does "excessively skewed matchups" mean? Couldn't one argue that matchups are excessively skewed on Japes or Rainbow Cruise? I understand that walkoff camping can be trouble, but its still far more risky than planking on any ledge on any stage.
Excessively skewed match-ups are when a small group of characters gains a near 100-0 on a very large portion of the cast. You can go by other definitions but that is the one I use.

The issue with walk-off camping is that while it is more dangerous than planking the reward is much much greater. It is similar to circle stall where 1 read is the end of the game, only its 3 instead of 1.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I meant good plankers planking, not marth. Like GnW, Metaknight, Pit. People that will be in range to grab either ledge, if one is taken. Most characters can grab the ledge backwards from a respectable distance. GnW and metaknight will always just grab the other edge or land onstage safely if you grab the ledge.

In any case, if planking isn't effective, walk-off CGs barely ever work, cave of life/ circle is easily destroyed and walk-off camping on an inclined slope is weak, what is the reason its banned?

As for a "hard circle" for a portion of the match making it harder to regain a lead, Pokemon stadium melee has the same effect. All of the transformations yield one or two amazing camping spots that result in easy stalling.

BTW, what is a "light circle"? It seems like you are referring to a formation of platforms that aren't solid. Like Battlefield, Delfino, Brinstar and part of Castle Siege.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I meant good plankers planking, not marth. Like GnW, Metaknight, Pit. People that will be in range to grab either ledge, if one is taken. Most characters can grab the ledge backwards from a respectable distance. GnW and metaknight will always just grab the other edge or land onstage safely if you grab the ledge.

In any case, if planking isn't effective, walk-off CGs barely ever work, cave of life/ circle is easily destroyed and walk-off camping on an inclined slope is weak, what is the reason its banned?

As for a "hard circle" for a portion of the match making it harder to regain a lead, Pokemon stadium melee has the same effect. All of the transformations yield one or two amazing camping spots that result in easy stalling.

BTW, what is a "light circle"? It seems like you are referring to a formation of platforms that aren't solid. Like Battlefield, Delfino, Brinstar and part of Castle Siege.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Game and Watch's planking works about the same as marth's does. Metaknight's planking is frame unbeatable on every stage so two ledges makes no difference. Pit needs room for his planking since it mostly involves moving 1-2 jumps off the stage using an arrow then returning to the ledge or pursuing with an aerial.

Wish I knew.

Tripping causes circle on stages like Temple, and Newpork city to not be 100% effective, but we ban them anyways.

The issues is that while not 100% unbeatable the run away potential on Big Blue is so large that it trumps every other strategy by a massive margin.

Light-circle is when a stage allows a lesser version of the circle stall on temple, newpork, and hannenbow which I refer to as "hard-circle" or just "circle".

Tesh

Smash Hero
Pit can plank with a percent disadvantage to an extent with space. Otherwise he can still grab the ledge over and over with the invincibility and wind from his wings. GnW will grab the other ledge if you hog him on one of them, just like green greens.

I don't think its a big deal, since lots of places use an LGL now.

I still don't understand what you mean by light circle. Can you explain what makes it a light circle as opposed to a bunch of platforms. How is battlefield not a light circle, if you take the same path your opponent takes, you will never catch him. But you don't have to take that path, nothing is blocking you from going straight to him.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I still don't understand what you mean by light circle. Can you explain what makes it a light circle as opposed to a bunch of platforms. How is battlefield not a light circle, if you take the same path your opponent takes, you will never catch him. But you don't have to take that path, nothing is blocking you from going straight to him.
Light circle is basically a less effective version of circle stall. Just like you said if you follow the exact path of someone circle stalling on battlefield you wont catch them. However if you cut them off and try and box them out you can prevent this. On stages which allows light circle you are able to box the circle camper off but it is much more difficult than on most other stages (distant planet) or impossible unless the stage changes (Luigi's mansion, rumble falls).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'd add a "arguable legal stage" category, just to cover both:
-stages banned in many places, but without a real reason to.
-legal stages that many people complain about.
But, it's just my idea.

btw,
Smash-Mex10 (our national) official stagelist:

Green goes for neutrals, Yellow are CPs, and Red are the banned ones
I think it's just ridiculously conservative....

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Tried that. Got, "But the bombs are too random......."

*Explains how not random Green Greens is*

"But.... the bombs......"

*facedesk*
^ Already did. Stubborn/10
Before I get started, I just have to fit this in: Calling me "stubborn" and "afraid of change" to my face was fairly ironic considering I'd just shaved all my hair off. I thought that was funny. Now then...

Green Greens. I still haven't see a match where someone doesn't get whacked by a stage hazard. Ironically, I'm probably more in favour of Port Town than I am for Green Greens at this point.

I'm aware that you're supposed to play more carefully on this stage. But sometimes the camera doesn't like you and you get hit by a falling block that you can't even react to. I suppose it's the players fault for getting in the way when the blocks weren't filled up, but not being able to GTFO of a close quarters fight on either the smaller or main platforms... REALLY SUCKS.

You know what else sucks? Not being able to grab the ledge because I block fills the space before you get there. I see that one lots, but I guess you can chalk that up to johns if you want.

The problem has never been that the blocks are "random". In my opinion they create a camping situation where you would just be stupid to make a move, not unlike the reason Corneria is banned... it's like Fin Camp Lite. I don't want to move over those blocks until they're full. Then when they're full, I have to somehow infiltrate your death trap in the middle of the stage.

Create a hole below the blocks and go under, you say? Noone will see that coming! Not to mention how tedious and time consuming it is to create a hole that lets you get though without destroying the upper blocks as well, or banging your head on a bomb block. Not to mention that you just put yourself in a bottleneck for the other player.

If the tactic here is to get the centre platform and keep it, and Port Town revolves around the same strategy then why is fin camping so terrible on Corneria? Also, if GG' short blastzones don't get it banned, I guess the same shouldn't be applied to Corneria either.

Yes, I know there is a wall on Corneria that doesn't go away, and that is perhaps the feather that broke the camel's back. Fine. Jeez. But wait, this is good...

Amazing Ampharos said:
Even most "liberal" stage people seem to believe this stage being banned was the right choice, though no one seems to agree on a reason... I can't deny that this is not a very fun stage to play on...
Ahahahahhahaahahha what's that? I like this because it reminds us that stage banning is still an arbitrary decision that we make, and there is no standard. Does a liberal or conservative stage list make this game better? Does it make it more competitive? Are those both the same thing or not?

The more I argue about these stages, the more I just think that I just DON'T like them and you guys just DO like them. That's it.

As for our scene here in Halifax... I think we're pretty close to a reasonable solution, so I'm not too worried about it.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I'd add a "arguable legal stage" category, just to cover both:
-stages banned in many places, but without a real reason to.
-legal stages that many people complain about.
But, it's just my idea.
Stages are inherently legal. So a stage cannot really be "arguably legal" they can only be "arguably banable".

Green Greens. I still haven't see a match where someone doesn't get whacked by a stage hazard. Ironically, I'm probably more in favour of Port Town than I am for Green Greens at this point.
I am not a fan of green greens or pictochat either. I feel that only a small amount of randomness is needed in competitive play as a stimuli for more dynamic gameplay.

You know what else sucks? Not being able to grab the ledge because I block fills the space before you get there. I see that one lots, but I guess you can chalk that up to johns if you want.
No thats a bit of randomness getting in the way. I find it to be excessive personally but MLG does not it seems.

The problem has never been that the blocks are "random". In my opinion they create a camping situation where you would just be stupid to make a move, not unlike the reason Corneria is banned... it's like Fin Camp Lite. I don't want to move over those blocks until they're full. Then when they're full, I have to somehow infiltrate your death trap in the middle of the stage.
I have heard a similar statement from Theocynide. I may consider adding it into the OP.

Ahahahahhahaahahha what's that? I like this because it reminds us that stage banning is still an arbitrary decision that we make, and there is no standard. Does a liberal or conservative stage list make this game better? Does it make it more competitive? Are those both the same thing or not?
It does come down to personal opinion but some opinions are better than others.

The more I argue about these stages, the more I just think that I just DON'T like them and you guys just DO like them. That's it.
I honestly like conservative stage lists more than liberal but I don't support them. I apply the "if its not broken don't fix ban it" rule to brawl and hold to it strictly.

Bynine

Smash Cadet
I don't understand why Yoshi's Island is often banned but Animal Crossing isn't. The AC stage can interfere with spikes as well (balloons, anybody?) In fact, it can interfere with some other moves, and can actually auto-kill Jigglypuff with her roll attack if you hit the balloon in the wrong place.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
YI and PS2 seems legit, imo. I find nothing wring with them, and I think YI could even be a good counter against MK, since he'd be unable to gimp to the right, and with good teching, even the central part would be hard for him. Plus, close upwards killzone. That would be a threat for him.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
PS2 is fine. YIM is not IMO.

New stage list will come out. Feast your eyes on the new list.

NNID
Budget_Player
YI and PS2 seems legit, imo. I find nothing wring with them, and I think YI could even be a good counter against MK, since he'd be unable to gimp to the right, and with good teching, even the central part would be hard for him. Plus, close upwards killzone. That would be a threat for him.
Agree. MK has upB (which is very rarely going to be fresh as it's his best anti-air, best OOS, and generally a good option to throw out), utilt (very hard to tipper, kind of slow, kills very poorly if you don't tipper it), uair (I guess?), and usmash (again, weak kill move... kills around 150 on normal-sized stages). None of them are really genius at killing off the top. And even then, you have to work around the spinning blocks. Chars like DDD and Snake would live FOREVER against MK here with good tech skill and DI.

PS2 is fine. YIM is not IMO.

New stage list will come out. Feast your eyes on the new list.
DMG is a great guy and all, but really needs to learn the fine art of "justifying your claims". Might help you. WHY is YIM not fine?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You will see the stage problems in tournament matches.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Like I said, just wait for the new list.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It should have been out by now actually. It's late. We went back over certain stages, which pushed it back some. And from that point, we are late by about 1-2 weeks.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Are you guys going to release your vote tallies again? And did you actually manage to get an over 50% voter turnout rate this time? Because that was what made me the most skeptical about your previous lists.

NNID
Budget_Player
Also, do we get justification? You guys should require people to justify their votes in there IMO. Just because top players say "this stage is bad" should not mean it's bad; look at ADHD who apparently wants to ban Rainbow Cruise.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Vote tallies probably, we've done that with each release IIRC.

IDK if you will get to see individual reasons/posts, but there will be a write up of "yay" and "nay" points (or just a write up of 1 side if a stage is overwhelmingly clear Banned/CP/etc) for putting the stage in that spot. Also yes, we had to include more than 1-2 liners in our votes elaborating our own stance/views for it to count.

Over 50% voter turnout? Lol. I highly doubt that. Prepare to be disappointed again in that regard.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
...yeah, that's something you guys need to fix. Like, badly.
Oh, that's easy to fix.

"If you don't vote on this new stage list, you're booted from the BBR."

Insta-fix. If you're in the BBR, you should be participating in something as big as the next set of recommended rules/stages from the BBR.

NNID
Budget_Player
Oh, that's easy to fix.

"If you don't vote on this new stage list, you're booted from the BBR."

Insta-fix. If you're in the BBR, you should be participating in something as big as the next set of recommended rules/stages from the BBR.
I agree. I mean, which BBR member doesn't have a stake in this? Which part of the BBR is not dealing with organizing or playing in tournaments?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I third. Unless you have a doctor's note or have a dead relative, you have to vote. And if you don't check your e-mails enough, you get kicked out. I'm sorry, if you're a member of an organization that makes rulesets that affect literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in prize money, you better be making it to the **** votes.

It's not like this ISN'T the internet.

T-block

B2B TST
This post will contain summaries for some of the more controversial stages - more will come over time. Credit to AmazingAmpharos for several of these.

Vote counts reflect number of votes from the entire revision process.

<hr />
Luigi's Mansion

Counterpick Group Three
Vote: (0-24-28)

There were several issues raised over the legality of Luigi's Mansion. One was the claim that Olimar and Meta Knight are overpowered here. Meta Knight was brought up as being too strong, with Mach Tornado being the claimed overpowered move. Olimar's strength was also raised with heightened camping ability and u-smash chains. Another was that the solid ceilings created a cave-of-life effect, shifting the reason for death from "being hit by a KO move" to "failing to tech a KO move", which tends to lead to variance in results. Lastly, it was argued that running the timer is too easy on Luigi's Mansion. The layout of the mansion is such that faster characters could easily avoid combat while it is standing, and when it is destroyed, the runner needs to avoid combat for only twenty seconds before it respawns.

In response to all of these concerns, strategic breaking of the mansion was raised. Both the cave-of-life and the path for running away become less effective as the mansion is destroyed. While some claimed that attempting to attack the pillars left you unfairly open to attack, it was generally agreed that each player's interactions with the house with respect to the most desirable state for each player led to very strategic gameplay, rather than degenerate gameplay. The player who wants the cave-of-life, or who wants to run away naturally wants the house to stay standing. By destroying the house, the other player can either force a response, or remove the feature that enables the opponent's strategy in the first place. It should also be noted that it is not obvious that Mach Tornado and Olimar's u-smash are overpowered on Luigi's Mansion. Through smart use of teching and get-up options, many claimed that it was very possible to escape any sort of attempt to chain these moves into themselves.

<hr />
Pokemon Stadium 2

Counterpick Group Two
Vote: (7-26-18)

We feel that Pokemon Stadium 2 was banned in many regions without being given a fair chance. The votecount clearly shows that we do not think this stage should be banned.

The most common issue brought up with this stage is that it forces players to deal with changes in the game's physics, such as icy floors or low gravity. However, the majority consensus was that these changes do not degrade play, but instead open up new options that can be used to the advantage of the player that takes the time to become familiar with the stage.

The tendency for transformations to lead to stalling was raised as a concern, as several characters can stall the entire duration of Flying transformation, and both Electric and Ground transformations tend to discourage approach. For this we look at the precedent set by Pokemon Stadium 1, for which there are no qualms about its legality. As Rock and Fire transformations also have a tendency to halt battle, it is clear that the 30 second intervals of ceasefire is not a banworthy quality for Pokemon Stadium 2.

A strong point for its legality lies in the fact that no characters seem to consider this stage a strong counterpick, and no characters seem to consider this one of their worst stages. This leads us to believe that this is a very fair stage overall. In fact, with no characters currently considering Pokemon Stadium 2 as a strong counterpick, there was a movement to allow Pokemon Stadium 2 to be considered as a Starter stage.

<hr />
Port Town Aero Dive

Counterpick Group 3
Vote: (0-24-34)

One concern raised for Port Town Aero Dive was the power of the cars. Despite the fact that every stop has at least one, and often two zones that are safe (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217615), it was argued that killing many characters at ~60% is too powerful of a hazard for competitive play. However, it ultimately decided that they would not be a reason to ban the stage, as the existence of safe zones is enough to ensure that smart play on this stage would see very few car kills not resulting from one player outplaying another. Experience backs this up; many confirmed through testing the stage that avoiding the cars is a reasonable expectation. The opportunity for one player to force the other into the cars' path changes the risk-reward balance slightly, but the consensus was that it is not a banworthy change. In fact, some even said that the power of the cars could be seen as a counterpick quality for characters such as Samus, who have trouble killing in general.

The other concern is the lack of ledges on the main platform, and the implication for characters with poor recoveries, and tether recoveries in particular. Ultimately, we decided to label the lack of ledges as a strong counterpick quality instead of a cause for a ban. The justification for this is aided by the fact that the track is present for the majority of the course. It is reasonable to expect characters with poor recoveries to save their double jump and instead use the track to bounce themselves back towards the stage, especially when you consider that it is not uncommon for some characters to take upwards of 30% trying to recover against an edgeguarder even on static stages. Again, testing has shown that the lack of ledges is not as detrimental to balance as one might first think.

<hr />
Distant Planet

Counterpick Group 3
Vote: (0-20-25)

We feel Distant Planet is another stage that was banned without proper justification.

The Bulborb was brought up as a ban reason because it instantly kills players regardless of percent. However, it was generally agreed that the lethal zone is too far removed from the main area to affect play to any significant degree. The creature is more likely to influence the match by providing a platform to recover than by taking a stock from a player.

Another concern was the presence of the walkoff. Although it is a sloped walkoff, some characters such as King Dedede and Pikachu can still use it to score early kills, but we deem it reasonable to expect the player to avoid such situations when playing against these characters, since taking your opponent to the blast zone generally has to be initiated facing the near blast zone while on the slope; this is a very specific situation that can reasonably be avoided.

It was also argued that the stage promotes camping strategies too heavily, with a very strong defensive position at the bottom of the slope and two ledges between which most characters can travel easily. In response, it was noted that the stage itself helps to combat abuse of such features. The rain flushes players out from the bottom of the slope, and the pellets provide even characters without projectiles with a means to combat camping. All in all, when considering that this stage was never given much of a chance to show that camping tactics are indeed overpowered, it was decided that Distant Planet should not be banned.

<hr />
Green Greens

Counterpick Group 3
Vote: (0-23-26)

We recognize this stage has been controversial in the past, and after considering the merits and problems with this stage, we concluded it was overall an acceptable counterpick.

The single most dominating aspect of the debate was the randomness issue; Green Greens has three random aspects. The first is that blocks randomly fall into incomplete columns and may or may not be bombs, the second is that apples occasionally fall and may randomly be throwable items, healing items, or self-detonating explosives, and the third is that the wind event occurs randomly. The consensus on the blocks was that, while they do contain a significant random element, it is small when players understand the rules governing the stage and play correctly to minimize risk. It is further limited as a problem by the fact that good DI prevents deaths to the bomb blocks except at fairly high damage so getting hit into a randomly falling bomb block should very seldom be fatal. The apples were agreed to be somewhat harder to predict, but apples fall rarely with the most deadly aspect (exploding apples) being the rarest issue of all. Again, very rare misfortune may occur, but the vast majority of problems randomness in apples cause can be avoided by all players using smart play. The third random aspect, the wind, was not raised as a significant point and therefore is likely considered irrelevant to the stage's legality by the majority of the BBR. While some BBR members did feel the randomness was significant enough to warrant a ban, the majority did not feel it was especially significant when informed players approached the stage.

The potential for wall infintes was another concern for this stage, but it was ultimately decided by the majority to be acceptable. The breakable nature of the blocks does much to limit the power of wall infinites on this stage.

The closeness of blast zones was another concern, but the majority dismissed this concern. Some feel that blast zone proximity should not be a large concern when deciding counterpick status at all, and others were quick to point out that Green Greens is not as extreme as it initially seems. The main ground on Green Greens is actually slightly further from the upper blast zone than the deck of the Halberd, and play on Green Greens is usually based around the center stage which is reasonably distant from the side blast zones.

The stalling potential of this stage with under the stage antics and ledge stalling was considered but ultimately dismissed. The majority felt that, while this was a potential concern, it was not significantly more dangerous than it is on Smashville, an uncontroversial legal stage.

Matchup balance was the last point considered, but no consensus was reached on how powerful this stage was for characters such as Meta Knight. The fact that few seemed sure of the character balance on this stage was highlighted by what a rare pick this stage was at both MLG events. This uncertainty led us to conclude that this stage should not be banned on that basis.

<hr />
Jungle Japes

Counterpick Group 2
Vote: (0-28-18)

In place where this stage was banned, Falco's performance was sometimes cited as a reason. However, there was a strong consensus that his strength here was overestimated, and is certainly no reason to ban the stage.

The Klap Trap was raised as a concern, but we decided it was a non-issue. Although it kills at low percents, it occupies space away from the main part of the stage. Combined with the fact that the timing of its appearance is completely predictable, this makes the Klap Trap a stage feature that can be incorporated into a strategy, rather than a hazard that interferes with gameplay.

The greater concern was for the stalling potential on the stage. The multiple ledges and the constant presence of water make running away significantly easier than on most other stages. Wario and Meta Knight in particular are two characters who could use these features effectively. While many of us acknowledge that this could be problematic, the fact that this stage has been legal in many regions, with no such strategy being proven to be overpowered or degenerate, is enough to allow this stage to remain legal until it is more conclusively shown that these stalling tactics are broken.

<hr />
Pirate Ship

Counterpick Group 3
Vote: (0-22-28)

Pirate Ship was one of the most controversial stages discussed, and due to the tie in the votecount we have placed it in the Counter/Banned category.

Some felt the bombs were too strong of a hazard, with the potential to deal over 50% damage and KO at lower percents than most hazards, and that their trajectory was too difficult to follow. Others claimed that it was reasonable to expect the players to avoid the bombs, and that following the trajectory was just a matter of practice, and did not think the bombs were an issue despite the severe punishment inflicted when they connect.

Other minor concerns raised for this stage were the catapult and the period of low gravity while falling from the whirlwind. However, it was generally agreed that the catapult is not an issue as characters will only be killed by it with poor DI, and that low gravity is a tolerable change in physics that does not degrade gameplay.

The most controversial aspect of this stage, however, was the camping enabled by the presence of water, and in particular swimming under the rudder, or "rudder camping". Because not all characters have a way of forcing the opponent out from under the rudder, many matchups can see the game decided as soon as a stock lead is obtained. 31.7% of all matchups in the game see rudder camping as a problem. Some felt that rudder camping should be banned under stalling to allow the stage to be legal, while others felt that it should be Pirate Ship that is banned rather than rudder camping. Still others felt that even with rudder camping the stage should be legal. We have decided to leave the issue of whether swimming under the rudder should be labelled as stalling to the discretion of the TO. The TO's decision on the matter will likely be a major factor in placing the stage into the Counterpick or the Banned category.

<hr />

Top Bottom