• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Metal Cavern banned in Tournaments?

CoeusFreeze

Smash Cadet
I've always wondered this ever since I began playing PM competitively. Is it because the stage is too small, or too oddly shaped? Is it because characters with great reach (Dedede for example) are too strong due to the size? Why is Metal Cavern banned even as a counterpick stage?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Why have small stages that are stupid when we can have small stages that aren't stupid?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
people didn't like how bowser "auto-won" there way back in 2.1 and its been banned ever since

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I actually pushed for it to be legal in 3.02 here in AZ, we had it on for a few tourneys.
Not in 3.5 its a CP at every event, and I'm starting to hate it lol. Its not bad, but there are better stages for it

TreK

Is "that guy"
I regularly CP it

Most people I play with ban it however. It's kind of a vicious circle : they've never played on an odd stage before, so they don't ban it so the surprise effect doesn't make them lose, but because of this they don't learn and must still ban it after a year of it being legal at my events.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Because it isn't Dreamland or Smashville.

Edit: I can't be the only one annoyed at the fact that we have a plethora of viable stages, but players tend to pick the same handful every match.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i think it has a lot to do with it having several things all combined that players don't necessarily like. the main stage isn't level and it's small, so it messes up a lot of characters' "normal play". it only has the one platform, but it's off center and at a sort of awkward height. the right lip can throw people's recovery off. it's small, but has rather large blastzones.

personally, i think it's a fine cp stage, but that's me. however, we have MANY MANY stages that might make fine counterpicks, that more people will use often. to's oftentimes cut the stagelist down so that striking and counterpicking goes faster. then there's also the point that you don't want to have an oversaturation of one stage type in the roster, making it difficult or impossible to actually ban that type of stage (i.e. you don't want to give 2 bans, but have 3 stages that are all small with large blasztones).

all of this combined means that perfectly viable stages oftentimes go under the radar and unplayed.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
very tiny. big characters dominate. blas zones are pretty far.

I can't be the only one annoyed at the fact that we have a plethora of viable stages, but players tend to pick the same handful every match.

I like to switch things up and pick kongo jungle during my pool matches

Last edited:

Defile

Smash Apprentice
Metal Cavern is a legal counterpick at Smashing Grounds in Framingham...but I don't know why.

It's really not a competitively viable stage. Playing on it in a serious match makes me want to rage quit.

Foo

Smash Lord
This thread is terrible. Let's look at all these compelling arguments in favor of making metal caverns a viable map.

Because it's on the top row and TO's are lazy and go 'bottom row neutral, middle CP'
Because people dont like change.
Because it isn't Dreamland or Smashville.
Metal Cavern is fine quit your whining and stop being a scrub
Such well thought out and well articulated points, completely refuting all of the points that real people totally made. >.>

I HATE this stage. Not because it's new, not because it's different. First and foremost, it's because of the curves. There is way too much curving on this stage, and it breaks certain characters in a bad way. Zero Suit, for instance, misses tons of grounded moves simply because of the curve, which is why I perma banned skyloft for the brief period that it was legal. Curves aren't INHERENTLY bad, but too much curve really makes a map terrible imo. Next, is the ledges. One of the is extremely forgiving, and the other is almost as bad as lylat and is hella buggy with tethers.

The overall setup of small stage, one platform big blastzones is cool and interesting (we don't really have stages that favor fatties atm), but having such a clunky stage layout is what makes me hate it. There's a reason people always prefer flat stages, they are basically inherently better than ones with curves with the slight exception being yoshi's island because it actually creates some cool interactions that aren't just infuriating. If the stage was made flatter, I would be cool with it, but having a stage curve that's the same height as some characters is just criminal.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Yes, it's different which is exactly why I love it. I love the curve and I love the way that it changes. While some curves may be bad, I feel as though the curve on metal cavern is fine. It doesn't have gamebreaking characteristics like walls or walk-offs, and while it may make some moves more difficult to connect, you can say the same thing about the varying heights of platforms on stages like battlefield or melee yoshi's.

In fact, it's my opinion that the fact that it is different is exactly what warrants its legality. It provides a unique stage for unique interactions that wouldn't take place anywhere else in the game. If you don't like it, ban it. If you think it shouldn't be legal just because it makes you uncomfortable to play on, that's a scrub mentality.

Zoa

Smash Ace
I personally don't like it because it screws up my character's hitboxes even more. He's all about his sweetspots, and they already constantly change too much as it is because they aren't stationary disjointed hitboxes like swords where you can tell they'll always go.

Foo

Smash Lord
Yes, it's different which is exactly why I love it. I love the curve and I love the way that it changes. While some curves may be bad, I feel as though the curve on metal cavern is fine. It doesn't have gamebreaking characteristics like walls or walk-offs, and while it may make some moves more difficult to connect, you can say the same thing about the varying heights of platforms on stages like battlefield or melee yoshi's.

In fact, it's my opinion that the fact that it is different is exactly what warrants its legality. It provides a unique stage for unique interactions that wouldn't take place anywhere else in the game. If you don't like it, ban it. If you think it shouldn't be legal just because it makes you uncomfortable to play on, that's a scrub mentality.
Different doesn't mean good in the same way that different doesn't mean bad. You shouldn't have to ban a bad stage, because then you can't ban a stage that you have a terrible matchup on. Back when skyloft was legal for a bit, I had to waste a ban on it everytime simply because it was such a terrible stage and it broke my character. No stages should be inherently bad for more than a few characters otherwise it is a bad stage. When I ban a stage, I should be banning it because it is bead for the matchup, not because I have to ban it every set no matter what.

I'm also uncomfortable on corneria and fourside. Did it occur to you that it may be because that they are bad stages and not because I'm a "scrub?" By your logic, rainbow cruise should be legal.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Sounds like @ Foo Foo can't take a joke. You're basically arguing that it should be banned because it's different. Just my opinion, but that is the worst part about Project M tournaments. We're hitting a point where every stage needs to be simple or it's trash. It's taking away one of the things that makes Smash unique compared to other fighters. Just look at the "competitive custom builds" that turn every stage into a flat stage with a few platforms if you're lucky.

Foo

Smash Lord
sounds like you think that a stage shouldn't be a legal counter stage because its good against your character...
Nope, have you read my post? I said that it shouldn't be a legal counter stage if it really sucks for more than a few characters regardless of matchup. I am using my character as an example, because that's my experience. There are tons of other characters that get pooped on by overdone stage curves. If there are three stages that my character will lose on in every single matchup and I have x* bans, that's absolutely fine. However, a player shouldn't have to ban a stage every single time regardless of matchup unless it's an outlier. If they do, that's a bad stage.

*1 or 2 probably

Sounds like @ Foo Foo can't take a joke. You're basically arguing that it should be banned because it's different. Just my opinion, but that is the worst part about Project M tournaments. We're hitting a point where every stage needs to be simple or it's trash. It's taking away one of the things that makes Smash unique compared to other fighters. Just look at the "competitive custom builds" that turn every stage into a flat stage with a few platforms if you're lucky.
Nope, have you read my post? Here's a quote "Different doesn't mean good in the same way that different doesn't mean bad." Not sure how you gathered that I think different equals bad, but that's some A+ reading comprehension right there. I'll say it again. Just because it's different does not mean it's good. Big blue, poke floats, onett, and etc. are all very different, but they are still crap stages. On the other hand, yoshi's island and norfair (maybe) are very different, but also pretty good.

There's a reason that flat stages are generally more popular. It's because the curves don't actually add anything to most matchups and are just annoying. When they do add something to matchups, they are either yoshi's island (an actually good stage) or are totally busted like mario fireball on skyloft. The only argument I've seen for overbearing stave curvature is people saying that we just don't like it because it's different.

If the metal cavern stage curves were toned down to not be taller than some characters, or were removed I think the stage would make a fine counterpick and would be a good addition. There really aren't many maps right now that favor heavies nor are there any small stages with big blastzones. All of those aspects are good for the stage, but the curves are a dealbreaker.

Come on guys, seriously? At least respond to what I actual said, rather than just straw-manning me to death.

(inb4 "curves are beautiful" post)

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
homie you can't accuse people of strawmans when you compared metal cavern to corneria
When did I do that? I just used corneria to prove that different does not equal good. I never said metal caverns and corneria were comparable. If you guys aren't even going to read my posts, why I am even bothering... lol

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
When did I do that? I just used corneria to prove that different does not equal good. I never said metal caverns and corneria were comparable. If you guys aren't even going to read my posts, why I am even bothering... lol
you drew a direct comparison lol.

And well if conrneria and metal cavern aren't comparable then where's the issue?

like I don't get what you're upset about. Banning a stage because it's bad for your character is what everyone does. It's the same as banning something like yoshi's melee against fox. It's their conterpick, you're not supposed to have the advantage in picking a stage.

Like I said in my post, different can equal bad if it's gamebreaking and silly but I explained why I don't think metal cavern is game breaking and why I think that its differences are enough to warrant it being a counterpick.

Foo

Smash Lord
you drew a direct comparison lol.

And well if conrneria and metal cavern aren't comparable then where's the issue?

like I don't get what you're upset about. Banning a stage because it's bad for your character is what everyone does. It's the same as banning something like yoshi's melee against fox. It's their conterpick, you're not supposed to have the advantage in picking a stage.

Like I said in my post, different can equal bad if it's gamebreaking and silly but I explained why I don't think metal cavern is game breaking and why I think that its differences are enough to warrant it being a counterpick.
I, in fact, did not draw a direct comparison. However, I was making a different point than I said in my last post. You said that it shouldn't be banned just because I am uncomfortable playing on it. I then said that I am also uncomfortable on *insert busted as hell stage here* which just happened to include corneria. Your point wasn't valid. Any bad stage is going to make players uncomfortable. That was the issue.

It's fine for a character to be good on a stage, because that is inevitable. You physically cannot make stages without having characters prefer some, in the same way that you'll have stages some characters are generally worse on, like how ZSS struggles with big blastzones because of her weak killpower. However, if certain characters HAVE to ban the stage in every single matchup because of one small facet that breaks their character (imagine falcon on FOD, but for a large chunk of the cast), it's a bad stage. Other instances of stages that were/are really close are/were dracula's, norfair in 3.02 (which is why it's legal now), and PS1 (legal fixed versions exist).

Metal Cavern doesn't have anything game breaking, and that's why it's not like corneria. However, that also doesn't mean it's a good counterpick. Just because it wouldn't literally ruin the entire game to play on it doesn't mean it's good, it just means that it's not the worst thing ever.

It's also not corneria because it's really close to being a good stage. Make the stage curves less egregious and it would be a great stage.

Foo

Smash Lord
Sigh, this thread is hopeless. Sure, I'm just bad. Every single point I've mad in this entire thread was just a cover. Truth is, the only reason I'm arguing about this is not because I think that jank piece of **** is a terrible map, no, it's because I am just awful at this game. Thank you, person who has probably never even seen me play, for making me realize how awful I truly am. You are totally right, even though my favorite map is wario ware, my least favorite is FoD and I said in this thread that yoshi's island is a good map, I will have panic attacks and sometimes seizures if not playing on a flat triangular map. I have finally come to terms with that, thanks to you!

Now, as my humble repayment, I will help you come to terms as well! You must accept that the only reason you like metal cavern is that you are too bad at this game to beat anyone on a real stage! Just accept it, and you will feel much better! ISN'T LOGIC WONDERFUL!?!?!?

... if anyone wants to actual respond to the real points I made, please please please do, but I'm not going to dignify this childishness with a response anymore.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
what character cannot possibly overcome the stage layout in MUs and must ban it in EVERY set?

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Would it be better if it was just scaled up a smidge? Not by a lot, still keep it as a small stage, just not so suffocatingly tiny. Like, 1.05x.

Foo

Smash Lord
what character cannot possibly overcome the stage layout in MUs and must ban it in EVERY set?
"Cannot possibly overcome the stage layout" isn't really the words I would use. I would say that, for several characters, players would ban that stage in most matchups just because it's bad for their character, not due to the matchup. Characters with "piercing" (not sweeping, like marth) long ranged moves (e.g. ZSS bair, zss f and dsmash, G&W everything, etc.) can get messed up by curves really bad, as well as characters that struggle to hit low. I know ZSS does, and I'm sure other's do too, but I don't play enough characters to say for sure. It can be absurdly hard to hit characters on the highground or lowground, depending completely on how each character happens to work which really skews how stage control works.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd ban metal caverns in pretty much every set unless I was against a character that had REALLY strong counterpicks.

I would really love to hear someone justify the curves being a good thing though. All I've heard is that they aren't as bad as I'm saying they are. I mean, seriously, there are several characters shorter than the big curve on this stage, and I'm not even talking about crouching.

Would it be better if it was just scaled up a smidge? Not by a lot, still keep it as a small stage, just not so suffocatingly tiny. Like, 1.05x.
Personally, I don't think that would help. Stage size is what would make it a good counterpick. I say tone down the curves and the counterpick

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
people don't have to prove that the curves are a good thing. you need to prove that the curves are bad enough that it should be banned. I've only heard theory craft. Make some Gifs, go out and ask your scene how many times they've even played on it, and then ask how many times per game they get messed up by the stage. could they have done any other option? we've never even seen super high level play on this level, how do we even know that people will ban it because the slants?

do your scene a favor and legalize it, keep track of any players that ban the stage, record any matches that actually go there. and THEN try to prove that it should be banned. do that for a month

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
people don't have to prove that the curves are a good thing. you need to prove that the curves are bad enough that it should be banned. I've only heard theory craft. Make some Gifs, go out and ask your scene how many times they've even played on it, and then ask how many times per game they get messed up by the stage. could they have done any other option? we've never even seen super high level play on this level, how do we even know that people will ban it because the slants?

do your scene a favor and legalize it, keep track of any players that ban the stage, record any matches that actually go there. and THEN try to prove that it should be banned. do that for a month
I'm stepping behind this statement. Metal Cavern is hard for me to play on, sure, but I haven't seen anything that tells me that its curves are inherently disruptive to how the game works beyond that. If you ask me it allows for more creative use of certain moves and I'm pretty much against banning it since the curves aren't random or anything.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I like the curves. Differences in stage control dynamics are not necessarily a bad thing.

I'd actually like to see players make greater use of the legal options in PM.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
I'm okay with curves, what I'm NOT okay with is jagged terrain and asymmetrical edges

Foo

Smash Lord

That'd all be fine and good assuming I was a TO and had recording equipment. Sadly, I don't. As for the asking people, the answer is "a few" and their responses tend to be "eh" but that's a small sample size. I agree that the only way to know for sure is testing in competitive play, but this discussion is purely theoretical until someone actually comes up with some real evidence.

I like the curves. Differences in stage control dynamics are not necessarily a bad thing.

I'd actually like to see players make greater use of the legal options in PM.
You like the curves? I mean, I understand why curves can make things interesting, like on the Yoshi's maps, but these aren't so much curves as they are cliffs. I've said it before, but, the right one is taller than a decent than several characters. I'll say that again.

ONE OF THE CURVES IS TALLER THAN A DECENT PORTION OF THE CAST.

Surely I'm not the only one who finds that to be an absolute joke. In my mind, that's almost analagous to having platforms to high that some characters have to up-b to reach them, or having a ceiling so high that pika upsmash doesn't kill till 200. Even stage elements that are core (blast zone size differences, platforms, etc.) are still moderated.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
wtf kind of reasoning is that anyway?

1st of all in ABSOLUTELY NO ****ING WAY is that analogous to having such a ridiculously high platform.

2nd of all what's the difference between being on 1 side of the slant and being on a platform on another stage such as BF or even DL? MC gives you the potential to hit them with ANY ground move that you have as long as you are close enough. being on a platform FORCES you to use an aerial (or waveland >whatever) to hit them.

what a joke of an argument Foo

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
You know what this stage really needs?

an alternate version where the switches are pressed and you can see the blocks. This would take advantage of the alternate stage loader that's built into that stage.

Top Bottom