• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Greninja getting into Smash Bros makes sense (whether you like it or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
hmm... i have a hard time following that logic, "Greninja may or may not be memorable, but now that he is in smash, he is, so he deserve to be in smash"? Or are you just saying that he will be popular now that he is in smash? if that's the case i agree, but it would have been better if he became popular on his own.
I find the notion that a character should be in Smash only if they're memorable silly, especially when it's such a subjective thing. Became popular on his own? You mean he isn't?

And regardless whether they are memorable or not, there's no reason why they can't become "memorable" because of Smash. Look at Roy. Look at Ness. Look at Wii Fit Trainer. The list goes on. Smash isn't and shouldn't be some sort of hall of fame for Nintendo to begin with,

Last edited:

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet

I'll be honest, I was pretty skeptical of Greninja at first. Still don't think it's a particularly cool pokemon, BUT I think he works really well in Smash.

I think he was chosen over everyone else in Gen VI (and I'd have loved to see Sylveon instead, or Meowth or Bulbasaur, for that matter) because Sakurai/someone else had a real vision for how he could fit in and have a bunch of really interesting moves and an exciting playstyle. All indications so far are that they succeeded.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
I'm not a Pokemon fan so I'm fine with Greninja, he looks cool. Though I hope they had a plant type final evo starter or it's gonna feel weird.

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Mewtwo, Charizard, Greninja, Sceptile?
1 more character compared to Brawl so it doesn't take like half the roster or something, yet there're 3 new characters. Seems good to me.
That's still seven slots, a little much I think. I'd be fine if Sceptile was the fifth though.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I wanted Greninja to be playable, but never expected him to be chosen because I thought you had to be fair to the people who chose the other starters. But, as proven by Charizard, that clearly isn't the case.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I highly doubt we would get Sceptile too (no matter how much I may want it). I really can't see any series getting two newcomers this tis time around. We could maybe get Ivysaur still, but I doubt it.
Realistically, I only see getting Jiggs.
But who knows? We are losing Squirtle and Ivysaur (presumedly) so maybe there are still two slots and Mewtwo is technically a Veteran, so maybe.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Greninja's popularity couldn't have had anything to do with its inclusion. Sakurai said back at E3 that they were done making additions to the roster, and that was months before Greninja was revealed to the public.

Sakurai definitely got an early look at the X & Y starters and just must've thought Greninja would be the most fun of the three.
I'm sure his popularity played a factor in this.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if he added some bottom barrel Pokemon that nobody cares about just because it had "unique" potential like adding Golem or something, lol.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It was probably partially that Sakurai saw Greninja's potential for popularity. He's clearly got wide appeal, just look at him. I basically got back into Pokemon because of him.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I highly doubt we would get Sceptile too (no matter how much I may want it). I really can't see any series getting two newcomers this tis time around. We could maybe get Ivysaur still, but I doubt it.
Realistically, I only see getting Jiggs.
But who knows? We are losing Squirtle and Ivysaur (presumedly) so maybe there are still two slots and Mewtwo is technically a Veteran, so maybe.
I would have liked Sceptile's chances more if we got a Ruby/Sapphire remake earlier... Like I said timing is everything when it comes to potential Pokemon characters.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Greninja is one of the most popular Pokemon in X/Y and seemed to fit in compared to Delphox and Chetnaught.
Plus, every fighting game needs a Ninja character(Well there's Shiek but w.e) :p

It seems in each Smash Bros they pick a Pokemon newcomer to rep the current Gen.

Melee-Pichu(Gen 2)
Brawl-Lucario(Gen 4)
Smash Bros 4-Greninja(Gen 6)

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
You have to admit, Game Freak are #TeamFroakie. Greninja was planned to be the coolest one from the beginning, like Charizard. That's why Ash got a Froakie in the anime, he always gets the "cool" one.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Greninja is easily the most popular starter out of the 3 (if not the most popular Gen 6 Pokemon period), and this is coming from someone who likes Delphox and Chesnaught more.
I wouldn't say easily. I think Delphox was more needed for Smash too, considering a mage like character would add more than a ninja like character.
You have to admit, Game Freak are #TeamFroakie. Greninja was planned to be the coolest one from the beginning, like Charizard. That's why Ash got a Froakie in the anime, he always gets the "cool" one.
He didn't get Blaziken though
And he got all the gen 1 starters anyway (thought Char was the only to fully evolve)
Failed logic
Lucario had almost no, if any, contenders from his generation, and was more or less liked the most anyway. That's not to say that Delphox and Chesnaught have anything strong going for them, but then again, I didn't think Greninja had anything strong going for him either. Blaziken's time was past when Brawl came into development (even if Sceptile and Swampert were also pretty neat.)
Untrue
Lucario had competition, but was pre-selected by the well received movie it was in

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
It's the most popular one. Which sucks, because Chesnaught is far cooler.
I tried to think of how this would work, and I couldn't get away from thinking he'd just be a Bowser clone. He'd have his Spike Shield in place of Bowser's fire breath, but the rest of his moves would be too similar with a grass theme.

That said, I really hope there's a strong distinction between Greninja and Sheik.

Last edited:

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Meh, guess I should've checked the internet more. I'm still a little surprised to find out Greninja's almost at Blaziken's level of popularity - I thought that tongue-scarf thing would get him enough detractors to balance it out.

Lucario had almost no, if any, contenders from his generation, and was more or less liked the most anyway. That's not to say that Delphox and Chesnaught have anything strong going for them, but then again, I didn't think Greninja had anything strong going for him either. Blaziken's time was past when Brawl came into development (even if Sceptile and Swampert were also pretty neat.)
One other thing to consider is type representation. Chesnaught is Grass/Fighting, but we already have Lucario as a Fighting type (and I'm sure they don't want to look biased towards Fighting types in a fighter). Delphox is Fire/Psychic, and we already have a Fire type (Zard) and previously had a Psychic type (Mewtwo - here's hoping he's coming back!) In Greninja's case, we had Squirtle but never had a Dark type.

Personally, I must admit that when XY came out, the only reason I didn't pick Froakie was because my g/f already called it (I went with Chespin), and the only reason I didn't pick Charmander was because I did so in Gen 1 (so I picked Squirtle since I already had a grass starter). I love Chesnaught, but I kind of would have preferred Greninja after seeing what he could do.
This seems like a possibility!
Delphox: Charizard is already confirmed
Chestnaught: Lucario is too

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Greninja is one of the most popular Pokemon in X/Y and seemed to fit in compared to Delphox and Chetnaught.
Plus, every fighting game needs a Ninja character(Well there's Shiek but w.e) :p

It seems in each Smash Bros they pick a Pokemon newcomer to rep the current Gen.

Melee-Pichu(Gen 2)
Brawl-Lucario(Gen 4)
Smash Bros 4-Greninja(Gen 6)
You could also say that pokemon trainer represents firered and leafgreen thus representing gen 3

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
im completely neutral towards him (as I prefer another pokemon character to appear, but that is my secret that most people probably won't be able to figure out), I feel like he would be a better representitive than most of the other Gen VI pokemon, better than that floating sword, idk why he was wanted, he is just a floating sword, where as Greninja has a lot going for him

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
im completely neutral towards him (as I prefer another pokemon character to appear, but that is my secret that most people probably won't be able to figure out), I feel like he would be a better representitive than most of the other Gen VI pokemon, better than that floating sword, idk why he was wanted, he is just a floating sword, where as Greninja has a lot going for him
A floating sword that is amazing in battle

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
A floating sword that is amazing in battle
not really, how would you analyze, all the start up frames and attacks will look the same, because there are only so many animations a sword can do, Greninja is humanoid so he is able to have plenty of animations

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
not really, how would you analyze, all the start up frames and attacks will look the same, because there are only so many animations a sword can do, Greninja is humanoid so he is able to have plenty of animations
I'm talking about the pokemon games, his ability, just like greninja, makes him awesome

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
He didn't get Blaziken though
That's because Sceptile was the coolest.

And he got all the gen 1 starters anyway (though Char was the only to fully evolve)
Well yeah, I wasn't saying that trend started episode 1. But every season past the first one, yeah.

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
Yes! Why?

He's new and flashy

He's clearly a brawler when it comes to his combat style

He can essentially become the Charizard of this generation

I think he's really cool looking

Morbi

Scavenger
I find the notion that a character should be in Smash only if they're memorable silly, especially when it's such a subjective thing. Became popular on his own? You mean he isn't?

And regardless whether they are memorable or not, there's no reason why they can't become "memorable" because of Smash. Look at Roy. Look at Ness. Look at Wii Fit Trainer. The list goes on. Smash isn't and shouldn't be some sort of hall of fame for Nintendo to begin with,
Precisely. It honestly doesn't matter if Sakurai doesn't choose the most prominent or prevalent characters... they will obviously become memorable based on their inclusion in Smash alone.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
- He's a Starter Pokémon, thus making him one of the frontrunners of the series.
- He's featured in the most current generation of the games, which has become one of the most popular gens in a very short time.
- His design is unique and easily translatable into a fighting game.
- He will probably be featured in the anime, as Ash has a Froakie now and it feels like the one that's going to evolve all the way.
I agree with this, especially since this reasoning can also be applied to Charizard, who was also confirmed at the same time. Greninja is the most popular starter in 6th gen (personally I love Chesnaught though), and he will probably be featured in the anime, which is Smash's biggest drawing point (hence Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Anime voices, totally ignoring the games, etc.). At the end of the day, he's in. So bickering about weather he deserved it or not is moot.

SVGK

Smash Rookie
Pretty much what Banjodorf said.
The stupid bias against Greninja (and pretty much any other Pokémon) is because of the thought of another rep taking the space of overrated Mewtwo. And I'm literally tired of that bull****, he isn't even that cool to ***** about other Pokémon newcomers "taking his slot, hurr".
I fully agree.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Haha Yeah, Greninja looks more like a Naruto character than a pokemon... With those shurikens, substitutions and teletransportation ninjutsus
The only thing missing is Double Team to mimic the Shadow Clone Jutsu, but Lucario has that move, and it's not even supposed to be an offensive move.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I feel like this is (almost) another Roy situation on our hands here with Greninja. Nintendo, or at least Sakurai (but I'm willing to bet Nintendo), is really going for marketing the whole company brand right now. It's relatively unprecedented for a character to be added to the roster so soon after their release, considering that Greninja had to have been decided on for Smash Bros. before the official reveal of the character. This game truly feels like an experiment in Nintendo video game marketing to me.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think Greninja was an amazing pic. I expect to see Mewtwo back as well, so I really wouldn't worry too much about that.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I feel like this is (almost) another Roy situation on our hands here with Greninja. Nintendo, or at least Sakurai (but I'm willing to bet Nintendo), is really going for marketing the whole company brand right now. It's relatively unprecedented for a character to be added to the roster so soon after their release, considering that Greninja had to have been decided on for Smash Bros. before the official reveal of the character. This game truly feels like an experiment in Nintendo video game marketing to me.
If this was marketing they would have shown off Greninja when Pokemon X&Y released, not almost 6 months later.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I wonder if Sakurai felt bad that he was cutting a water and grass starter when giving the axe to the Trainer.

Maybe he felt that he had to include a fully evolved water and grass starter if he kept Charizard.

So what Grass starter will it be?

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I wonder if Sakurai felt bad that he was cutting a water and grass starter when giving the axe to the Trainer.

Maybe he felt that he had to include a fully evolved water and grass starter if he kept Charizard.

So what Grass starter will it be?
Sceptile with dual leaf blades

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to sound like a jerk, and i swear, I SWEAR that's not what i want, but here it goes anyway:
The "popularity" of Greninja isn't real, or at least it's not as big as what people say, it was made up by those who jumped in the band-wagon after his reveal to justify his inclusion in the roster.
Now that i've said that, i want to make something clear: I know i can be wrong, If there some evidence that he was "THE gen 6 pokemon" before the direct, i will go back on what i just said.
If you followed pokemon during the pre-release days of X and Y when everyone was slowly being leaked info until the floodgates broke, Greninja was the ONLY starter who's final form everybody liked or at least put up with. And after release his popularity blew up surprisingly fast. It seemed like everyone was running Greninja. You see him EVERYWHERE online, and I believe he is the only starter from X and Y to make it to OU. He has an amazing movepool, a pretty damn good design, and a huge fanbase in the pokemon community to back him up. He deserves to be here throwing blows just as much as any nostalgia bomb. I'm a little late to this thread, but I just wanted to give my two cents.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
If this was marketing they would have shown off Greninja when Pokemon X&Y released, not almost 6 months later.
Not necessarily. Pokemon X/Y hype was huge as it was.. this just keeps the ball rolling. They released the games, then did the free download promotion for it, now they've shown Greninja in Smash...

But really, I meant marketing for Smash Bros, not for Pokemon X and Y. Lord knows Pokemon didn't need the extra hype for it. I meant, Pokemon gen 6 is so huge, adding someone from it to Smash Bros is a great marketing strategy for Smash.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Greninja is a very recent, brand new character. So he's not been around 8+ years like Lucario, or almost 20 years like all the rest of the Pokémon reps.

So what? I think that's a good thing, makes things feel fresh. Not everything has to be from Gen 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom