• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Greninja getting into Smash Bros makes sense (whether you like it or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Is he really that much more popular than Honedge/Aegislash? Would they not have made more unique and less expected newcomers?
This isn't rhetorical, I'm asking out of genuine curiosity since everything I've heard has lead me to assume that Greninja's popularity was second to the Aegislash line. I have no real preference myself, since everything after gen 2 held no interest for me.
Aegis is definitely up there but I don't think anyone considered it as an actual contender since it's just a pair of floating swords.

Plus Sakurai and fans love their bipedals. Mewtwo, Zard, Squirtle, Pikachu, Jiggs, Lucario and Greninja seem much easier to work with since they actually have legs to walk with.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
That's nice and all, but the thread is asking for our opinions. It doesn't matter what Sakurai thinks here. Do YOU think he deserved the slot? Keyword being "you". Clearly Sakurai and company did. But do you?

To answer the question - not... really. Game Freak really should have let the Mega Evolutions act as the 6th gen "reps", since Mega Evolution was pushed so much & acts as a pretty integrated mechanic in X & Y. There weren't really any Pokemon in 6th gen that stuck out as good contenders, no mascots like Lucario was to 4th or Zoroark was to 5th.

Greninja is arguably the most popular starter of X & Y, but compared to the likes of Blaziken, Sceptile, the 1st gen starters, Infernape, etc. etc.... he has little to his name. No big movie appearances (yet), no major roles in the anime, nothing going on in the games that puts him above the rest. I guess the minor buzz around him not looking as bad as the other two final starter evos helped him :d He was definitely the one I chose, but I never would've considered him a contender.

Either way, the more I see of him in action, the more I really like his playstyle. Looks more inspired and interesting than Lucario, at least.
If you read the beginning part of my post, then you know that I went ahead and gave my opinion despite my distaste for the "deserving" debate. It's just one of those things that I see little point in. Why stew over it and go "he didn't deserve it" when he's already in? It's just going to prolong your headache over the character. Doesn't mean you can't have an opinion or express it, I just don't see the point of dragging it out and such. Perhaps I'm a fatalist.

The way I see it, the developers have a different criteria for whether or not a character "deserves" a spot than most of the fandom. In this case, I think they decided to take a little risk. Instead of waiting to see who was popular and who was "standing out", they picked someone they liked from the new generation and ran with it. And overall, it looks like they did a good job.

But just to reiterate, I'll give my personal opinion on the matter again. Gun to my head, yes, I think Greninja "deserves" it. Namely because he's a Nintendo character that the developers thought they could make into a cool character. That's why I'm okay with it.

Last edited:

Jesus castro

Smash Rookie
Because it's a fighting game? and you don't always have to stay accurate to the original source as much as possible? Anyways some things from the RPGs doesn't always translate well in fighting games.Look at what happen to pt.
Well they need to at least do something that resembles their abilities in the franchise that tell one how it performs. With pikachu, only thing that is the same is that they got the electric type the same. And when i say tanky I really mean tanky. That pokemon will never be KOd unless it is passed %250 but his attacks are snail slow and recovery is not even an option- you just fall. You are immune to grabs though. It might be silly but I prefer this pokemon to play as that I
made in 30 seconds than greninja because I just HATE being KOd in low percentages. That is why I usually play with bowser. I like the defensive playstyle of little mac where he shrugs off attacks and counter attacks. Maybe they could add these features to this one I made.

I say this because they are making everyone stronger in this recent direct and smash has almost pure glass-cannons in their roster.I am just wondering how a defensive chracter would play out in smash. Thats it.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Greninja didn't necessarily "Earn" or "Deserve" to be playable as much as say characters with a back-history, but how he earned his spot was rather testing the water with new things, so yes. He deserves it.
Haha, Testing the "Water"

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I KEEP MAKING GRENINJA PUNS WITHOUT NOTICING IT

this is true proof that i'm horrible and that he's gonna be my main for life in dis game <3
There are too many mains for me, I can't even, there are currently 10 I really wanna main and I'm gonna have to cut it down

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Greninja does, granted, people like Delphox and Chesnaught more arguably over the Gen 1 final evolutions. Greninja's had a lot to back him up still; maybe not the most, but as I said before it's mostly testing a character

also while i don't believe in conforming to a set of rules, i don't believe in the opposite either. Delphox was shot in the foot with Charizard, so that really left Chesnaught and Greninja out.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
The only reason they didn't pick a starter when it came to Gen 4 was not only PT but Lucario's popularity was so absurd in comparison to everyone else's. Here, Greninja and Aeigslash. Aeigslash will last a while too, but it doesn't really scream "Pokemon" to me. Heck, Chandelure isn't even a pokeball pokemon! (That actually shocked me a little) - It's hard to explain, but yeah.

and also having legs and fanservice

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Greninja's inclusion doesn't make me mad, though it was definitely shocking and feels rather unwarranted, if I'm completely honest. In style of Pichu being intended for Melee only on part of its popularity within Generation II (and Generation II only), I could very well see Greninja being dropped out in the distant, far-off next Smash Bros. to follow these two games. Current popularity seems to be its main appeal right now. Unless its popularity skyrockets to that of Lucario's and stays consistently that way, I could definitely see its spot being fought over by whatever "Generational Mascot" Generation VII or VIII gives us.

Of course people will like it--people already do. It's a question of how genuine that likeness will remain over the years.
Well he is amazing in competitive and that won't be changing anytime soon

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
After we saw mega lucario alot of people changed their minds about that though
After he was reveal Jamuary 31st, most people were like, "Oh, I was wrong." Just because Greninja is current doesn't mean he won't be back for the next Smash Bros. game. Though, that is absurd to think about considering SSB4 isn't even out yet.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
After he was reveal Jamuary 31st, most people were like, "Oh, I was wrong." Just because Greninja is current doesn't mean he won't be back for the next Smash Bros. game. Though, that is absurd to think about considering SSB4 isn't even out yet.
For all we know in Gen 8 he'll get a mega and become relevant again

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
For all we know in Gen 8 he'll get a mega and become relevant again
Y'know, I actually am pretty sure that's going to be the case, assuming Megas stay relevant. (Which I bet they will.)

Watch him get two.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'd say Ferali and Typhlosion were pretty even in Gen 2. Infernape was the lead in Gen 4 but he wasn't really close to Blaziken or Charizard level. And I think everyone wants to forget about Gen 5 starters. I know I do :p
Yeah, I think Generation 5 was the first time where I actually ditched my starter and boxed it (I chose Oshawott). Poor guy, I don't even think I even got it past Dewott. I heard some people who swore by Emboar, but again, I preferred Heracross for more coverage against the E4 and gyms.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Why? Because Gamefreak wanted it. They know he's the coolest looking and they know they gave him Protean, an incredible ability in Pokemon that lets him get STAB on every attack he uses. Plus, Ash got a Froakie. The ninja theme alone gives them much more to work with than Delphox or Chesnaught. I for one welcome our new ninja frog overlord.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
There are too many mains for me, I can't even, there are currently 10 I really wanna main and I'm gonna have to cut it down
I'm in the same boat. Honestly, I rarely find one character to truly main. There's usually a pod of characters that I just really like and I play as all of them, but unfortunately almost the entire cast winds up in the pod at some point or another. I just really love Smash Bros. and all of its wonderful family.

Right now, my "frequent" mains look to be:
Peach
Zelda
Greninja
Sheik
Bowser
Rosalina/Luma
Charizard
Link/Toon Link

That's just... sad. But it'll be fun, nonetheless!

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Why? Because Gamefreak wanted it. They know he's the coolest looking and they know they gave him Protean, an incredible ability in Pokemon that lets him get STAB on every attack he uses. Plus, Ash got a Froakie. The ninja theme alone gives them much more to work with than Delphox or Chesnaught. I for one welcome our new ninja frog overlord.
Although delphox is a mage so they are kinda on equal levels but delphox is by far the least popular starter

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm in the same boat. Honestly, I rarely find one character to truly main. There's usually a pod of characters that I just really like and I play as all of them, but unfortunately almost the entire cast winds up in the pod at some point or another. I just really love Smash Bros. and all of its wonderful family.

Right now, my "frequent" mains look to be:
Peach
Zelda
Greninja
Sheik
Bowser
Rosalina/Luma
Charizard
Link/Toon Link

That's just... sad. But it'll be fun, nonetheless!
Mine are:
Lucario
Greninja
Rosalina
Peach
Zelda
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Wii Fit Trainer

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Well he is amazing in competitive and that won't be changing anytime soon
Can't argue with that fact, but I doubt competitive viability has anything to do with it, though. You don't see Aegislash, Talonflame, or Klefki in Smash Bros. yet, do you?

The Competitive Pokemon Meta has nothing much to do with promoted material, I think.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Can't argue with that fact, but I doubt competitive viability has anything to do with it, though. You don't see Aegislash, Talonflame, or Klefki in Smash Bros. yet, do you?

The Competitive Pokemon Meta has nothing much to do with promoted material, I think.
Well competitive is why he's popular

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Pretty much what Banjodorf said.
The stupid bias against Greninja (and pretty much any other Pokémon) is because of the thought of another rep taking the space of overrated Mewtwo. And I'm literally tired of that bull****, he isn't even that cool to ***** about other Pokémon newcomers "taking his slot, hurr".

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Hi guys, I really like Greninja and got Pokemon Y yesterday. Haven't played Pokemon since Gameboy color. Is Greninja in the pokemon anime? Really love this character design and I want to learn a lot about him and hopefully make him strong in Y as well.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Pretty much what Banjodorf said.
The stupid bias against Greninja (and pretty much any other Pokémon) is because of the thought of another rep taking the space of overrated Mewtwo. And I'm literally tired of that bull****, he isn't even that cool to ***** about other Pokémon newcomers "taking his slot, hurr".
That last slot is reserved for Jigglypuff though, there's no changing that

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Hi guys, I really like Greninja and got Pokemon Y yesterday. Haven't played Pokemon since Gameboy color. Is Greninja in the pokemon anime? Really love this character design and I want to learn a lot about him and hopefully make him strong in Y as well.
Ash has a froakie but it hasn't evolved yet

Jesus castro

Smash Rookie
How can you guys have so many mains? I can barely use one let alone 10. Right now, my only mains are Bowser and Wario. Dam, I just realized wario isn't confirmed yet! Common sakurai!

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
How can you guys have so many mains? I can barely use one let alone 10. Right now, my only mains are Bowser and Wario. Dam, I just realized wario isn't confirmed yet! Common sakurai!
Well these are characters we wanna use and I just can't decide

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Mine are:
Lucario
Greninja
Rosalina
Peach
Zelda
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Wii Fit Trainer
You are a man of good taste. Haha.

For topic's sake, Greninja is also a unique water starter. Most of the water starters in the past have been defensive, special attackers, or balanced offensive, but Greninja is the first water-sweeper we've had join the staters. This is yet another aspect of the character that fits him for SSB.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
EDIT: Double post. I'm impatient and hit the post button twice. My apologies.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel like timing has also lots to do when it comes to Pokémon. That's why we've skipped some generations (and now skipped the 5th one) playable character -wise: no Smash games have been on the works during those generations. The fourth gen and Lucario were new when Brawl came out, and now it's the same with the 6th gen and Greninja. I think it's a logical step to concentrate on the newest generation, even though I did have high hopes for Zoroark haha...

I like the way Greninja is shaping up to be one of the more popular Pokémon of Kalos. I always thought Sylveon was the most "iconic" one but that's bound to change at this rate.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I've only ever had one main and I intend to keep it that way. I do, however, dabble in Yoshi, G&W and Olimar and plan to broaden that to include Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac and maybe Megaman or Villager. I don't intend to play Greninja though, unless it turns out his substitute is a character.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I had no idea who Greninja was in the trailer, as I've never been very big on Pokémon.

However, upon seeing bits of his gameplay, he does look like a pretty fun and cool character. Ninja running FTW.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Part of me thinks they might have worked backwards to some extent. They could first have decided they wanted to include a ninja character, and then looked at who might be able to fill that role.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Nooooo where is Jigglypuff I can´t live without him!!!

View attachment 11798
Neither her nor mewtwo got hurt by greninja

Especially because at this point red squirtle and ivysaur have a 97% chance of being kicked now the 3ds version is close to release and if they were in they got to be shown before the game release in other words who ever is on the character page 98% of them are going to be starters (3rd parties luigi and toon link are the exceptions)

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Is he really that much more popular than Honedge/Aegislash? Would they not have made more unique and less expected newcomers?
This isn't rhetorical, I'm asking out of genuine curiosity since everything I've heard has lead me to assume that Greninja's popularity was second to the Aegislash line. I have no real preference myself, since everything after gen 2 held no interest for me.
There's a church of Goomy, so why not him?
But seriously, a floating sword? It wouldn't work well in Smash. The only reason Charizard works is because he has feet and can stand on the ground. A character that floats above ground on its idle would be rather dumb if it fell to its death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom