• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

****Why do all the vids in here suck?****

Now if only I had the video of my friend Chad from Southaven who actually beat Greg in a set with Pika at FC6, now THAT would make for a good combo video XD. I love you G-reg, but I think it would be funny to poke at your ego just a tad XD. <3

People also need to stop making their vids just like every other vid! People need to get creative with music choices and perhaps showcase a combo video with comedy or something. There are very very few vids like that, and they are the ones I would still watch regardless of how dated they get cause they are just downright funny.
lol pika!

you read my mind mookie, im planning to make my next combo vid humorous with some more post rock!!!!

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
It's true, recently there have been a lot of new combo videos, and not neccessarely all of them are that good

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Here's the thing... This is just from a personal standpoint, mind you...

Though I haven't made a combo vid, I was thinking about doing it for some time now. As G-Reg and many of you have noticed, a lot of not-so-good combo videos have appeared. I think someone earlier said it was due to the growing popularity of Youtube, and I partially agree. Someone else said people want to get their name out there, which I also believe is part right. In the old days, combo vids were made purely for showing off one's mad skillz, made to strike fear into the hearts of the scrub players.

However, nowadays, I think with how easy it is to make videos, combo vids have taken on an entirely new purpose. Now, nearly anyone can make vids, and can easily share them. I've seen so many (and made one or two) topics about "What am I doing wrong? vids inside!" or "Rate my Pika" and the like. With how easy it is to make videos, those of us who can't make it to many tournaments still want to have a chance to improve, and the comments of other players is really all we have to help us.

The reason the skill levels of combo vids has changed dramatically since before, in my opinion, is the fact that combo vids are no longer made for the sheer purpose of showing off. Now they are used by the unskilled as a showcase, with the giant question, "What do I need to fix? Plz helpzorz..."

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
Here's the thing... This is just from a personal standpoint, mind you...

Though I haven't made a combo vid, I was thinking about doing it for some time now. As G-Reg and many of you have noticed, a lot of not-so-good combo videos have appeared. I think someone earlier said it was due to the growing popularity of Youtube, and I partially agree. Someone else said people want to get their name out there, which I also believe is part right. In the old days, combo vids were made purely for showing off one's mad skillz, made to strike fear into the hearts of the scrub players.

However, nowadays, I think with how easy it is to make videos, combo vids have taken on an entirely new purpose. Now, nearly anyone can make vids, and can easily share them. I've seen so many (and made one or two) topics about "What am I doing wrong? vids inside!" or "Rate my Pika" and the like. With how easy it is to make videos, those of us who can't make it to many tournaments still want to have a chance to improve, and the comments of other players is really all we have to help us.

The reason the skill levels of combo vids has changed dramatically since before, in my opinion, is the fact that combo vids are no longer made for the sheer purpose of showing off. Now they are used by the unskilled as a showcase, with the giant question, "What do I need to fix? Plz helpzorz..."
I used to think the way you do, but then I heard something like this:
"The combo videos don't necessarely reflect the real skills of the player, because they only show the highlights of the combos, not the actual playing strategies of the person", or something like that.

The point is, that supposedly, you can't judge what somebody needs to improve, just by looking at their combo videos (you'd have to see some full lenght matches).

Besides, the true purpose of a combo video will always be to show off your skills, nothing else.

Anther

Smash Champion
Combo vids definitely aren't an accurate reflection of skill. I mean if its a bad combo vid that's a good indication of something... but otherwise, a series of on point combos will make the person look twice as good and flashy than they really are and not give much to critique... I mean.. simply because you're actually comboing someone XD.

I mean my vid makes pika look like a madz pwnzor of life. When in actuality I'm spending most of the time getting in single hits tacking on damage most of a match.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Idk whether you're still being sarcastic or not Greg, but I actually do think Samus is one of the most varied and still fun characters to play, even after a lot of others become boring. I really liked Nasty as well, and I think the content in both his vids were very original and extremely entertaining...

PS: Check out my vid and all this arguing will stop...:) until Greg makes one...:ohwell:

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
If you ask them and they either say 1.) they don't care about combo vids enough to make them, or 2.) they don't have enough footage, or any footage at all to make a combo vid, then you have your answer as to why not enough good ones exist. Not enough good players give a **** to record their crazy **** or put in the time to make something amusing like that.

In most cases, a player who's even semi-decent would rather put forth all the effort involved in making a video for himself, rather than for someone else. So the criteria you'd need for a fan to make a combo vid for someone else who normally wouldn't care about them are: 1.) He has a ton of free time, 2.) He would love to see A vid of (insert pro), and 3.) He's so bad he wouldn't want to publish gameplay of himself.
That's exactly what most people who are really good say if I ask them why they don't have a combo video of themselves.

People also need to stop making their vids just like every other vid! People need to get creative with music choices and perhaps showcase a combo video with comedy or something. There are very very few vids like that, and they are the ones I would still watch regardless of how dated they get cause they are just downright funny.
I agree. I have a few comedy videos that i've made of myself and my friends. Regular combo videos are usually boring, unless the player that appears in it is someone I care about. (my friends, or someone whose videos i generally like)

The reason most people's videos suck is because most players aren't that good. And since anyone with recording and editing equipment can make videos, pretty much anyone does so... Another reason for creating videos if you aren't amazing is to learn from them and maybe get better. That's why OAK creates videos, even though none of us are pro. I like watching my own videos, so I can learn about things that I do that I might not be aware of at the time that I played the match. I don't expect anyone to be impressed by them, but if you are, awesome! :chuckle: Pros that don't care enough to get their **** online generally don't need critiquing anyway. And Youtube's standards are not only low, but random. They can't tell how good the players in the video are if they've never been to a tournament or heard of pro players outside of Youtube. So I'm going to continue to produce my mediocre videos in mass quantities, thank you very much..

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
Why do all the vids in here suck?

The answer is simple. To make all the good ones look good. Without bad videos, the good videos won't be considered good because they'd be the only ones out there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it's also because a lot of the videos have **** for music that make it no longer enjoyable.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
you need to see Rhyme's combo videos...those are good (not realy combo videos but more of matches) if you say rhyme's suck then...you suck!

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
Everyone wants to be noticed

You can't deny that. Sure, you can enjoy making videos. But why do you enjoy that? To reap the attention that follows. If people just truly loved making videos then they would make them and watch them themselves, not tell anyone, not post on youtube, not post here, nothing.

It's the same reason we go to smash tournaments. Recognition is priceless. We want to be somebody

The problem, as stated, and this includes me, is that most people just aren't that good. That's why I haven't made a combo video, because I bring nothing new to the table whatsoever. I'd rather at least try to be semi-creative with my vid(s). There's other ways to make a smash vid entertaining besides PuR3 $KiLLZ

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Uhh... Maybe for some, that's the only reason why they would enjoy it. I'm sure however for others there is much more to it than that. Something like feeling good because you know you accomplished something great. That's like saying that artists only enjoy what they do because they get attention.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Everyone wants to be noticed

You can't deny that. Sure, you can enjoy making videos. But why do you enjoy that? To reap the attention that follows. If people just truly loved making videos then they would make them and watch them themselves, not tell anyone, not post on youtube, not post here, nothing.

It's the same reason we go to smash tournaments. Recognition is priceless. We want to be somebody

The problem, as stated, and this includes me, is that most people just aren't that good. That's why I haven't made a combo video, because I bring nothing new to the table whatsoever. I'd rather at least try to be semi-creative with my vid(s). There's other ways to make a smash vid entertaining besides PuR3 $KiLLZ

I'm pretty sure I just really like money, lol.

But anyways...bad combo videos aren't fun at all to watch. Like...they make you want to kill yourself. So definately don't make them, kthx.

Welp, there's my contribution to the thread...>_>

Top Bottom