• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who's the player who inspired u?

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
Aesis - was the first time i saw competitive smash
BoA - was the marth player i looked up to
Teba - his fox when he played fox was the one i tried to copy
Leepuff - for coming over always and helping me

after that i started watching
Ken - just his control of the entire match made me continue marth
PC Chris - his fox
KDJ - his fox and sheik just amazed me

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Felix- seeing short hop lazer for the first time inspired me to look up tech skill
HottGreasedupJigglypuff4lovin'(from utah)- for seeing that jiggz had potential. Watching him made me switch from marth.
Qraq/BC- Taught me almost everything I know...and pushing smashfests in our small community.
Mango and King- It was always good watching the best.

pockyD

Smash Legend
mew2king for his ascension from a crappy annoying kid nobody wanted to play with to the best in the world

not that i'm willing to put in the kind of time he did, but it's nice to know that practice will pay off eventually

The King

Smash Ace
First inspiration had to be this old friend of mine, Chris Yen, and seeing him play jiggs in FFA's...and how sometimes we'd just explode in a ball of fire and die randomly, and he'd just be sleeping there afterwards. Kinda showed me that there was more to this game than meets the eye.

Next was definitely DBR.

-Bob$...I swear to god I've never been so nervous playing against someone than when I used to go over to his house for practice sessions & friendlies. No way I can explain everything I learned from him in a single post, but watching this guy play Doc was mesmerizing.
-Germ...guy made me quit my old main, there's not much more I can say. ***** the **** out of me & showed me just how controlling a player can be over the flow of a match.
-Zelgadis...Some of the **** in this game I'd never have believed to be possible if I hadn't seen it from your Fox. This guy elevated my (along with thousands of other players') pace of play to a whole new level.
-And ClodZero / MikeNasty / Sidefx / Irish (my brother)... these guys were my benchmarks of improvement, and where I got all my early days & months of competitive practice. I seriously wouldn't have gotten where I was if it had not been for playing with them, and learning from them.

Then there was Ken & Isai. Watching videos of these guys just couldn't do justice to how good they were. I remember going to the first Champ Combo, and learning more from Ken playing just 3 stock against him in a crew battle than I'd learned in the last 3 months combined. These guys were the epitome of execution and confident play.

King Out

bbb

Smash Champion
Ultra Luigi: if it weren't for him I wouldn't exist in smash, he taught me everything, and took me to every tournament I went to in my early years

HugS: between him and Ultra, I saw that if you were good enough with your respective character, you could wreck **** even though you didn't play fox or marth

Gaara♥

Smash Master
That first match between Bombsoldier and Ken on FD completely redefined what smash was to me. Also all those ken vs isai matches

trying to be the best among my friends and learning on accident how deep melee gets from videos.

mew2king and korean dj. proving that with practice and confidence even the greats can be beaten.

bombsoldier. lol.

soldier of fortune was amazing to watch back then.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Originally the germ inspired me, then KDJ inspired me, then M2k inspired me, that's pretty much it.

Grunt

Smash Master
Probably PC.
I sort of thought there were tournaments for melee a long time ago, but never really got interested. Then one day while flipping through channels I see MLG on USA. So I watch Halo 2 (actually knew about halo 2 tournaments) watched Carbon upset Final Boss and then i left for a while. I came back and saw Melee I was like, wtf? It was Fox vs Falco on DK64. I was like "dang that falco's good." So then I looked for all the tournament stuff and picked up blue Falco for a while etc etc. PC Ken and Isai were the first 3 I ever heard about, so I always looked for videos of them.

Panix

Smash Ace
DSF- (melee) Falco just made me cream my pants.
M2K- Marth/Metaknight- is just straight amazing
Ken - he has a combo named after him.
Azen- always like the second best. lol

malva00

Smash Master
ssb inspired me cuz if i won money in ssbm tournaments then higher chance i could play with ssb players

lol

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Isai Alverado(sp)- I always thought it was cool when someone with no weapons (Falcon) could get inside a swordsman. Best player in the world. period.

KM (east coast)- Watching this guy play at FC 3 was amazing, he showed me how perfect someone can play and the guy is so creative.

Mike Nasty- The guy doesn't own a cube and he comes to every smashfest learning new crap I've neevr seen before

Inspiration is different from modivation and that title goes to Jeff Lueng (sp) SS. Basically if this guy could get 1st fighting against spacies, there was no excuse for me to fail. Jeff is the poster boy for hard work and determination. TRUE STORY: When I first met Jeff I told him he was going to have the 2nd best Falcon in the US if Isai still played. And guess what... I was fukking right.

Park0o

Smash Ace
Fumi inspired me to play yoshi. how can a yoshi beat ken and destroy manacloud. Ken won too, but not manacloud.

S-Royal- Almost beat foward at NCT2 with doc. amazing. bob$ missed the tourney because of a card tourney

Isai- too good

Ken- way too good.

fumi- way too smart,

ps yoshi's nair has less priority than every nair in the game. FTW -> Fumi to win.

keeper

Smash Champion
To start playing beyond casual play- The MLG videos and the "True Life" MTV episode. Therefore, I'd say those that inspired me to pick it up and get good are: PC Chris, M2K, Ken, Isai, KDJ, and whoever else is in those MLG videos. I also played Metroid Prime: Hunters, with Forward's younger brother a lot and he talked about his brother. So that got me thinking about it and we talked smash a lot.

The people that inspired me to do what I do are- Eggz, Juce, Silent Wolf, RaynEX, Aftermath, M2K, and Forward.

The people that have helped me: Kami/Paper, Juce, Peach Masta, Balloon, Eggz, guys I can't remember from a Gameclucks Tournament, QraQers, ***g0, one of my friends, Cminh, CoOP, Moochero, Dog Latin, Zerostar, Grunt, Aftermath, and maybe a few others.

Those that inspired me to get back into Melee after playing Brawl are: Juce, Eggz, Silent Wolf, Cminh, old M2K vids and Melee combo vids, Vish, Vista, James, and really just that sour taste Brawl started to give me.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
This Kind Of Topic Belongs In The Pool Room
Yeah guys what are you thinking? Cluttering up our uber important regional zones? It's not like this forum is meant for "Discussion for topics relating to your region".

Come on.

We should just post in the pool room and get dozens of responses that we don't care about.

Sleepy

Smash Ace
ken and isai mostly, back when they were owning their regions which was for a long time. Old stuff like Isai tripple kneeing capt jack twice in one match.

nublet06

Smash Lord
for luigi i barely had any inspiration. honestly i learned everything i use today by myself. when i first started and went to mlg Anaheim i watched ultra luigi do the rising tornado and i was inspired to do that. but besides that my luigi was simply inspired to win by my inner urge to prove myself better than my opponent. because there really wasnt much to work with in the form of video to learn how to play luigi.

inspirations in general play....

BoA - will take the gayest campiest player i can think of. which was lunin in his attempting to camp prime. the guy would literally walk away from you and laser camp you making you fee like a *******. he would take that play style, and make it look like a normal aggressive match. he had a way of moving around the level with a certain spacing that it was impossible to camp and no matter who was fighting it made the match cool. and best of all the guy doesn't even know how to chain grab and if he did do it he would mess up after the 2nd grab. this of course was just a dummed down version of ken, but i didnt get to play ken 6 hours a day like i did BoA

Aesis - mother ****er is gay as hell. he can literally mind game me and predict me more than anyone else i play with. and he plays so gay and campy and forces me to do everything he wants me to. but the rare times i beat him brings up sooo much inspiration that my luigi can overcome ******** odds on such a great player.

inspirations in my secondary fox.......
it all started with zel. before shined blined i had never played fox. only luigi and maybe doc a couple of times.

then it was kens fox, who honestly never did anything amazing, he just beat his opponent with simple concepts and mind games which is the base of my fox.

BoA/Teba - took that ken style and turned it in to something i could play against and see everday and ultuimately gave me the avenue of copying it lol.

finally it was pc chris who took those base mind games and spacing and blew them up to a grand scale of almost perfection. he never plays gay, he makes you say WOW when you get mind gamed by his stuff because its so creative. hes just really tight to watch. 0c3 was a treat for me to see him take out the robot with those crazy mind games. even on fd with chian grabs and stuff. <3 pc.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
No one really inspired me throughout SSB64 and SSBM. In 64, I never played competitively, and in Melee, I got into the competitive scene too late.

In Brawl, however, the two players I look at are Kirk and Renegade. I main Ike, and it's a pleasure to watch videos of these two players. Great Ikes.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i mainly started to get technical after shined blind
and then played falco after bombsoldier, it was really cool
then i picked up ic's cuz they're the best character, they can 0-death anyone why not use them?

clowsui

Smash Legend
drephen was my inspiration.

wait, what am i saying

bombsoldier, ken, isai, psay, m2k got me hooked and then i watched everybody else and was inspired by them o_o so every player that i've watched that isn't ****ty has inspired me

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
Taj, Ken, Isai, Bombsoldier are my top four.

when i first started playing competitively, the first combo vids i saw were from DBR, so they get some credit.

As i got bttr and was able to do most of the combos in the DBR combos, Zhu, Mango, M2K, Chillin, and SilentWolf grabbed my attention and impressed me even more when i had an understanding of the game.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
darn those natural talent players

there's a lot more rock lees in smash than nejis

i love my horrible naruto references

P.S. i'm a rock lee of smash
It's Shikamaru, not Neji.

Ummh... M2k, Forward, Taj, PC, Zhu, raynEX, Lambchops, Jman..... last AND least, Chillin

I just kinda liked his combo video for the DJ Eggz track on it.

joeplicate

Smash Master
chillin's combo videos was tight

and neji is an apt analogy, too
ken is more like neji than shikamaru because he's a cocky prick

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
chillin's combo videos was tight

and neji is an apt analogy, too
ken is more like neji than shikamaru because he's a cocky prick
Neji didn't have natural talent... ESPECIALLY in the manner that Shikamaru did. Shroomed used Neji as the opposite of Rock Lee.. and that didn't really make sense.

Top Bottom