• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
About Kirby's speed as a wheelie or riding on one just work with Kirby: Air Ride. The highest speed I saw was 33.06 m/h.
We're talking about the Wheel ability, not the Wheelie Bike.
Just because Pikmin takes place on a planet called "Earth" doesn't mean it's actually Earth. It's just "Earth-like". Look up "earth analog". It looks like Olimar studied it enough to discover that it can cut dimensions. Either way, being about the size of a pence isn't going to move Olimar anywhere.
This has many parallels to real life, though. The objects, the branding, etc. all match up.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
We're talking about the Wheel ability, not the Wheelie Bike.
That honestly shouldn't matter anyway, since 29.17 mi/h is the speed that I found to be the highest based on this video as the wheel. In fact, the wheel ability allows Kirby to drive on water, so that should put his speed at 67.11 mi/h. It's not like his wheel ability is the fastest anyway. That's the jet ability.

This has many parallels to real life, though. The objects, the branding, etc. all match up.
So? The fact that Olimar and his friend are extremely tiny would be impossible in our world. Due to fewer atoms by magnitudes, Olimar wouldn't be a very intelligent person. He's also be very cold. Let's not even bother with the subject of stepping into water. He'd be like an ant floating in water, dying. How would Olimar's organs work?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
That honestly shouldn't matter anyway, since 29.17 mi/h is the speed that I found to be the highest based on this video as the wheel. In fact, the wheel ability allows Kirby to drive on water, so that should put his speed at 67.11 mi/h. It's not like his wheel ability is the fastest anyway. That's the jet ability.
Just because it travels on water doesn't mean that it travels at that speed.

Jet is the fastest, but doesn't it have a bit of charge time? Also, are we giving Kirby the other air rides?
So? The fact that Olimar and his friend are extremely tiny would be impossible in our world. Due to fewer atoms by magnitudes, Olimar wouldn't be a very intelligent person. He's also be very cold. Let's not even bother with the subject of stepping into water. He'd be like an ant floating in water, dying. How would Olimar's organs work?
Of course Olimar couldn't exist IRL. That doesn't change the fact that PNF-404's relics are shown and implied to work similarly to how they do in the real world. Plus, how would Olimar know its capabilities without first using it to rip a space time hole?

Anyway, this little debate is rather pointless because we haven't seen what exactly this would do to help Olimar, nor do we know that he could even use it (especially given his small size).

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
You only need to be traveling 30 m/s to run on water.
And that doesn't seem to apply in the games in question. In fact, basilisks can run on water at much lower speeds.
At least 2 seconds for a full charge.
I see. Wheel(ie Bike) seems to be the best option for escaping/getting up close, then.

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
According to the FE wiki, "it possesses the power to posswas an attacker's mind to protect the user from all harm."
I think it's just worded wrong, and the attacker is the user. Like I said in my last post, the wiki also says repeated use of it corrupts the holder's mind and soul. If worked by possessing the attacks mind, then why would it corrupt the user's mind?

Very true. Also, to be clear, I'm referring to Mega Mario, as in the giant version granted by a Mega Mushroom. Metal Mario could still work though.
True.

I think he should get access to any ability until he loses it, such as by getting hit, discarding it, or using up a limited-use ability.
Well he has copy essences so he should be able to just use them if he loses a generic ability, but one-time abilities, Star Rod and Hypernova should only get one use since they can't actually be carried and we're just giving them to him to let him reflect his abilities.

As I said earlier, the whole "DK punches weaker than Little Mac" deal was a typo; I meant to say the opposite.
oh ok.

The vote has already concluded.
Sorry I missed it.

I don't see the issue. We should handle it like it works in the games; during the move's duration, any move Greninja uses changes its typing.
But how does that work when a match-up isn't analyzed in a mock fight? For example if we're doing greninja vs Mario in the offense vs defense version, how do we determine what his type is before he gets to counter?

That seems a bit much for most characters, don't you think?
Uh, how about the length of a basketball court?

Yeah, I'd be down for letting him change size. He does that in Sunshine after all (plus all the games where this happens due to magic)
Well he has to do it under his own power but sure.

I'll respond to the rest of the posts later.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I think it's just worded wrong, and the attacker is the user. Like I said in my last post, the wiki also says repeated use of it corrupts the holder's mind and soul. If worked by possessing the attacks mind, then why would it corrupt the user's mind?
Do you have a source for this?
Well he has copy essences so he should be able to just use them if he loses a generic ability, but one-time abilities, Star Rod and Hypernova should only get one use since they can't actually be carried and we're just giving them to him to let him reflect his abilities.
Is that how it works in the games?
But how does that work when a match-up isn't analyzed in a mock fight? For example if we're doing greninja vs Mario in the offense vs defense version, how do we determine what his type is before he gets to counter?
I don't see it making much of a difference. If you're so concerned about it, you could just account for each possible typing.
Uh, how about the length of a basketball court?
That seems fair.
Well he has to do it under his own power but sure.
Right. I think his black magic could come in handy here.

Reckless Godwin 2.0

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how winding one's arm gives more speed. It's mass and acceleration that do it, not winding one's arm.
Just accept it. Animations like that aren’t supposed to make sense, just like twirling one’s weapon around before striking causes triple damage

Do these characters dodge anything causing them to have speed at superhuman?

It's usually calculated by the character evading attacks at high speeds, or keeping up with characters traveling at high speeds
Fire Emblem characters can dodge lighting bolts and conflagrations like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL86AE8D892CD8838A&v=fgcI1KfSwRY&feature=player_detailpage#t=436 at 7:18-7:22

Evading attacks and traveling speed are two separate aspects of speed. An example of the 1st would be reflexes such as Ike dodging a lightning bolt, and the 2nd would be movement speed such as Lucina traveling faster on a horse or Pegasus.

I see. That's not much of a gap.
50% more damage is a significant improvement.

It possesses the holder's mind to protect them from damage, not the person attacking the holder.

@Dryn , @ Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons , @BaganSmashBros , @ Reckless Godwin 2.0 Reckless Godwin 2.0
I think Bowser should be his normal size since, like Dryn said, being larger isn't necessairly better but we just let him have the ability to grow to his Sunshine size but at the tradeoff of speed for power.
Your right! A few more links clarified it for me http://www.fireemblemwiki.org/Darksphere.

@Dryn Yes, I’m fine with Bowser starting off with his normal size and having access to his standard size altering abilities.

Good luck getting a better computer soon.

I feel like Ganondorf would be the strongest. Nothing can kill him apart from the Master Sword, and even when he dies he's guaranteed to come back centuries later.
You're right that nothing in Hyrule can kill him except the Master sword and Silver arrows but this doesn‘t account for weapons such as the ones in the Fire Emblem universe though. Coming back centuries later is still a loss.

Characters that show resistance and/or immunity to lightning are :4mario::4ness::4ganondorf:
Mario can negate the damage via the super suit, Ness has the Franklin Badge, and Ganondorf has his holy weaponry shenanigans
Robin and Lucina can get evade bonuses against fire/lightning/wind and ice with the Weapon Triangle advantage afforded by their tombs http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Trinity_of_Magic.

Hey guys, I found something on Pikmin Wiki.

Our salvage operations have yielded several unbelievably advanced artifacts. According to my analysis, this cutting device can slice through the fabric of time and space. My days of struggling to open food canisters are over!

A dimensional cutter that slices through space and time, this is nothing to be trifled with. Good children will know not to play with this item.
:olimar: has a weapon that allows him to cut through space and time. Broken much? That rises him higher on my list.
Ha, ha, ha your kidding right? Olimar can’t wield that or anything else he can pick up on the Pikmin planet. That thing wouldn’t last 5 seconds against the Master Sword or Ragnell.

How are we going to account for stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL86AE8D892CD8838A&feature=player_detailpage&v=ykfUGLE_NjU#t=439 at 7:19-7:27 with the Fire Emblem characters.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Also known as the "jesus lizard".
I'm wondering what the relevance of that is.

On a side note, say I ignore the gravity suit. With the varia and Phazon suits, Samus would have 100% damage reduction. How would she receive any damage from anyone? If 0.5 is the decimal form of 50%, then 1 is the decimal form of 100%. Here's an example.

• Base damage: 100 energy
  • Varia suit reduces damage by 50%
  • Therefore, Samus is only losing 50 energy.

• Varia and Phazon suit reduce a total damage of 100%
  • Therefore, Samus is losing 0 energy.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I'm wondering what the relevance of that is.
You said that Kirby has to move at X speed to run on water. I pointed out that basilisks run on water at slower speeds.
On a side note, say I ignore the gravity suit. With the varia and Phazon suits, Samus would have 100% damage reduction. How would she receive any damage from anyone? If 0.5 is the decimal form of 50%, then 1 is the decimal form of 100%. Here's an example.

• Varia suit reduces damage by 50%
  • Therefore, Samus is only losing 50 energy.

• Varia and Phazon suit reduce a total damage of 100%
  • Therefore, Samus is losing 0 energy.
Does this happen when they're stacked in the games?

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
@ ShadowLBlue ShadowLBlue did we ever vote on each character only getting one of each item they could have? I don't think we did, and I'm opposed to it. Having one of each item that they can't hold but would make sense (Like Pit bringing some multiplayer items) would be neat too. This would cause :4mario: who has can have 99 starmen to fly up the tiers, only characters who can force ring outs or have some sort of invincibility could defeat him.
I'm not sure if it's in the actual rule list that I've been keeping, but I know we all kind of agreed on it around the time we first got here. I think @ Munomario777 Munomario777 was around here for that. The idea was something characters hadn't been capable of holding but would make sense to have (i.e. any of Mario's power-ups) would be granted to them once. This also applies to non-equipment items like PT's Full Restore, Ether, etc (although now that I think about it, I think he should be granted one healing item per Pokemon. All of Kirby's limited usage copy abilities would presumably fall under this rule although we're giving him copy essences for his "generic" abilities.

Lightning attacks (that are clearly lightning bolts such as Thunder or Lightning of Judgment) are all extremely powerful unless proven otherwise in game. Reason being that lightning is only as thin as a pencil but the light it gives off makes it seem that much larger. In video games things such as these might not be represented as well, sort of like speed. A list of lightning moves includes
I think they should act as depicted in game unless we have reason to suspect otherwise. I don't think Lightning (unless it's definitely lightning, like with Pokemon) should do extra damage to the non-humans (including Mario type humans), but obviously someone like Little Mac should probably die from a few Thunderbolts.
Also how is Luigi vulnerable to lightning? If anything he should resist it since he has Thunderhands.

That's the way it is in Kirby: Super Star Ultra, I believe.
Yes, but not for his special skills like Crash and Mike. Those should get one time use, although I think UFO should be an exception.

Donkey Kong seemed to be using pretty much all his strength, considering the fact that he was throwing winding punches.
Well muno already said it was the opposite and that DK punches harder.

Hey guys, I found something on Pikmin Wiki.

Our salvage operations have yielded several unbelievably advanced artifacts. According to my analysis, this cutting device can slice through the fabric of time and space. My days of struggling to open food canisters are over!

A dimensional cutter that slices through space and time, this is nothing to be trifled with. Good children will know not to play with this item.
:olimar: has a weapon that allows him to cut through space and time. Broken much? That rises him higher on my list.
Does he ever actually use this in game? I'm not trying to rain on your point, it just seems like it could be an example of exaggerated lore.

What would definitely aid Mario against Samus is the super suit, but only when it comes to the the wave, ice, and plasma beams from the Metroid Prime trilogy. The dark, light, annihilator, and nova beam would likely be a different thing of its own and missiles and bombs would be quite effective against Mario.
So would his Barry pixl (reflects anything but has cooldown lag), but like I said his chances of beating her are only like 10% at most.

I'd agree.

I think the one from Super Mario 64 would be reasonable.
Cool
Do you have a source for this?
If you mean a source for it corrupting the users mind, that's further down on the same wiki page you linked too.

Is that how it works in the games?
In KSSU (the only one with copy essences deluxes) one time skills like Crash lacked essences.
Hyper nova and Star Rod can't be discarded until the level ends and you beat the final boss, respectively.

I don't see it making much of a difference. If you're so concerned about it, you could just account for each possible typing.
It would against certain elemental attacks and physical moves, at least against characters in his tier. He's not beating Kirby, but if he could changing types to be able to resist his copy ability would help.

That seems fair.
Cool. Can you tag everyone and get their thoughts on it? I won't be able to log back on all weekend so I think you should ask if we all agreed that a basketball court is a fair length.

Right. I think his black magic could come in handy here
Works for me

Just accept it. Animations like that aren’t supposed to make sense, just like twirling one’s weapon around before striking causes triple damage

Fire Emblem characters can dodge lighting bolts and conflagrations like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL86AE8D892CD8838A&v=fgcI1KfSwRY&feature=player_detailpage#t=436 at 7:18-7:22

Evading attacks and traveling speed are two separate aspects of speed. An example of the 1st would be reflexes such as Ike dodging a lightning bolt, and the 2nd would be movement speed such as Lucina traveling faster on a horse or Pegasus.
All good points. I forgot about this.

Your right! A few more links clarified it for me http://www.fireemblemwiki.org/Darksphere.
Cool.

@Dryn Yes, I’m fine with Bowser starting off with his normal size and having access to his standard size altering abilities.
Well I think that's 5-0: Me, dryn, muno, Kirby D, you. PASS.

Good luck getting a better computer soon.
Going to be the longest 2-3 weeks ever. I was in the middle of playing FE6 on my laptop :sadeyes:

Robin and Lucina can get evade bonuses against fire/lightning/wind and ice with the Weapon Triangle advantage afforded by their tombs http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Trinity_of_Magic.
Not to mention they actually survive repeated blows from lightning, that unlike some characters attacks actually resembles lightning in speed and appearance.

How are we going to account for stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL86AE8D892CD8838A&feature=player_detailpage&v=ykfUGLE_NjU#t=439 at 7:19-7:27 with the Fire Emblem characters.
Pssh, in the GBA games they get stabbed through the chest and keep on trucking.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You said that Kirby has to move at X speed to run on water. I pointed out that basilisks run on water at slower speeds.
Ah. You confused me by the name "Jesus lizard". Anyway, from what I'm reading, they can run 4.9 feet per second, which is 3.34 mi/h. I can walk 4.5 miles in an hour from what I tested. According to Wikipedia, humans walk about 3.1 mi/h. Basilisks also have a larger surface area on their feet, allowing them to create pockets of air. They cannot run for too long on water, though. Their mass would also play a factor.

Does this happen when they're stacked in the games?
It's never happened because Samus never acquires that many suits to allow 100% damage reduction. The highest has been 75% damage reduction and while some might think that absorbing SA-X gives Samus 95% damage reduction, I personally ignore that. However, having put in the information and correcting things concerning the varia, gravity, Phazon, dark, and light suit at Wikitroid, I have an understanding of how the damage reduction works. Since we're using composite forms, this is a different case, and using the same method I've used to determine the damage reduction from the suits listed, with the varia and Phazon suit alone, it would add up to 100% damage reduction.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
If you mean a source for it corrupting the users mind, that's further down on the same wiki page you linked too.
No, I mean a source for it not possessing the attacker's mind and instead doing what you said.
In KSSU (the only one with copy essences deluxes) one time skills like Crash lacked essences.
Hyper nova and Star Rod can't be discarded until the level ends and you beat the final boss, respectively.
I see. I think we should have those be one time use, then.
It would against certain elemental attacks and physical moves, at least against characters in his tier. He's not beating Kirby, but if he could changing types to be able to resist his copy ability would help.
It wouldn't make too much of a difference; it would only really change damage values (and the occasional complete damage negation).
Cool. Can you tag everyone and get their thoughts on it? I won't be able to log back on all weekend so I think you should ask if we all agreed that a basketball court is a fair length.
Ok. @Dryn @ Nerdicon Nerdicon @ Reckless Godwin 2.0 Reckless Godwin 2.0 @Dastardly Ridleylash @ Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons
Do you all agree to the characters starting one basketball court's length apart, with the center of said court being in the center of the arena?
Ah. You confused me by the name "Jesus lizard". Anyway, from what I'm reading, they can run 4.9 feet per second, which is 3.34 mi/h. I can walk 4.5 miles in an hour from what I tested. According to Wikipedia, humans walk about 3.1 mi/h. Basilisks also have a larger surface area on their feet, allowing them to create pockets of air. They cannot run for too long on water, though. Their mass would also play a factor.
Kirby also seems to be rather lightweight. Either way, this doesn't mean that Kirby is moving at a certain speed, because of the rule that states that objects move at the speed shown unless stated otherwise.
It's never happened because Samus never acquires that many suits to allow 100% damage reduction. The highest has been 75% damage reduction and while some might think that absorbing SA-X gives Samus 95% damage reduction, I personally ignore that. However, having put in the information and correcting things concerning the varia, gravity, Phazon, dark, and light suit at Wikitroid, I have an understanding of how the damage reduction works. Since we're using composite forms, this is a different case, and using the same method I've used to determine the damage reduction from the suits listed, with the varia and Phazon suit alone, it would add up to 100% damage reduction.
So Samus can wear multiple suits at once (including the ones you just listed)? Do they simply add up their resistance factors in the Metroid games (30% + 30% = 60% of original damage), or do they reduce damage based on the previous reduction (100 - 30% = 70 - 30% = 49% of original damage)?

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
Speed is a large factor in the viability of characters in this thread, you'll notice that plenty of the higher tiers are generally pretty fast. How fast, it'd be pretty simple to find out. Through non-vehicle movement, the top 5 fastest characters in this thread are (in km per hour)
  • :4sonic:6,150 (low end of hypersonic speed)
  • :4kirby:6,150 (Mach 5, achievable through the jet ability)
  • :4samus: 2,000+ (general speed is only described as supersonic, the shinespark moves faster, somewhere in the hypersonic range)
  • :4darkpit::4pit: 1350 (through the Brawler Claws + speed modifiers)
  • :4palutena: 1080 (Super Speed)
Being a faster character comes with numerous perks, it's easier to dodge attacks, you generally have a quick reaction time, you can get from point a to point b quickly, etc. Some characters don't have this kind of natural speed but can achieve something better through a vehicle of sorts. These include...
  • :4samus: Gunship: It can reach speeds of over 7 times the speed of light
  • :4falco::4fox:Arwing: Mach 4.2 ( 3197.04)
  • :4darkpit::4pit:Lightning Chariot: No specified speed, but much faster than Pit's max ground speed
And that's just about it concerning speed, but this movement isn't too great if you can't slam on the brakes. Characters like Sonic and Pit are pretty bad at slowing down, often running directly into walls due to their own speed. This where characters like Kirby and Samus, who can stop on a dime, start taking a lead in the realm of mobility. Kirby can convert his forward Jet momentum into the immensely powerful Jet Cracker, while Samus converts the energy into the similarly powerful Shinespark.

In the end, speed is a very important asset to these characters and is a decisive factor in determining who would win. As it stands, Samus and Kirby seem to have the best mobility, with their high speed and quick braking ability.
With that, da nerd signs off

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ok. @Dryn @ Nerdicon Nerdicon @ Reckless Godwin 2.0 Reckless Godwin 2.0 @Dastardly Ridleylash @ Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons
Do you all agree to the characters starting one basketball court's length apart, with the center of said court being in the center of the arena?
I suppose 28.65 meters is fine.

Kirby also seems to be rather lightweight. Either way, this doesn't mean that Kirby is moving at a certain speed, because of the rule that states that objects move at the speed shown unless stated otherwise.
Comparatively speaking, yes, 9.69 lbs. is light, but heavier than a basilisk. I'm fine with working with the speed for the wheel ability, though. He could cover 100 meters in 7.71 seconds.

So Samus can wear multiple suits at once (including the ones you just listed)? Do they simply add up their resistance factors in the Metroid games (30% + 30% = 60% of original damage), or do they reduce damage based on the previous reduction (100 - 30% = 70 - 30% = 49% of original damage)?
Yes. In Metroid Prime, she acquires the varia suit, which grants her 10% damage reduction. If hit by a geemer in her base form, she'll receive 10 damage. When she has the varia suit, she'll only take 9 damage. The gravity suit will reduce her damage by 20%, meaning she'll only receive 8 damage. When she acquires the Phazon suit, granting her a 50% damage reduction, she'll only receive 5 damage.

In the Super Metroid manual, it's clear on telling the owner that the varia suit cuts damage by 50% and the gravity suit cuts it by 25%. So this would mean that the suits are added. Can this be said of way it works in Metroid Prime? I don't know. This has to be found out by playing through the game and testing the damage reduction. This is how I found out that the dark, light, and PED suits don't cut damage, and that the hazard shield doesn't, either.

If the Phazon suit behaves as the gravity suit in Super Metroid in that it's added on, then that'd mean the Phazon suit is really cutting damage by 30%, since the gravity suit would only be cutting damage by another 10%. I suspect that's not the case, though.

Speed is a large factor in the viability of characters in this thread, you'll notice that plenty of the higher tiers are generally pretty fast. How fast, it'd be pretty simple to find out. Through non-vehicle movement, the top 5 fastest characters in this thread are (in km per hour)
  • :4sonic:6,150 (low end of hypersonic speed)
  • :4kirby:6,150 (Mach 5, achievable through the jet ability)
  • :4samus: 2,000+ (general speed is only described as supersonic, the shinespark moves faster, somewhere in the hypersonic range)
  • :4darkpit::4pit: 1350 (through the Brawler Claws + speed modifiers)
  • :4palutena: 1080 (Super Speed)
Being a faster character comes with numerous perks, it's easier to dodge attacks, you generally have a quick reaction time, you can get from point a to point b quickly, etc. Some characters don't have this kind of natural speed but can achieve something better through a vehicle of sorts. These include...
  • :4samus: Gunship: It can reach speeds of over 7 times the speed of light
  • :4falco::4fox:Arwing: Mach 4.2 ( 3197.04)
  • :4darkpit::4pit:Lightning Chariot: No specified speed, but much faster than Pit's max ground speed
And that's just about it concerning speed, but this movement isn't too great if you can't slam on the brakes. Characters like Sonic and Pit are pretty bad at slowing down, often running directly into walls due to their own speed. This where characters like Kirby and Samus, who can stop on a dime, start taking a lead in the realm of mobility. Kirby can convert his forward Jet momentum into the immensely powerful Jet Cracker, while Samus converts the energy into the similarly powerful Shinespark.

In the end, speed is a very important asset to these characters and is a decisive factor in determining who would win. As it stands, Samus and Kirby seem to have the best mobility, with their high speed and quick braking ability.
With that, da nerd signs off
Well, Mach 5 should be 6,182.4 km/h. Samus' should be 2,472.96 km/h. I'm not sure where the speeds for Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena come from. Samus' gunship travels 7.2 times faster than light. I want to be clear on that. The arwing is supposed to travel Mach 4.2 in the atmosphere. I think they meant a higher altitude. At 20,000, sound travels 660 mi/h, so multiplying that should give you 2,772 mi/h (4,462.92 km/h). My only problem with the arwing speed is that there's no citation. I'm not sure how to find out how fast the lightning chariot travels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
@ Nerdicon Nerdicon

Nice speed analysis! I'd like to point out that Sonic can stop on a dime with a certain Skill called Power Brake.

Yes. In Metroid Prime, she acquires the varia suit, which grants her 10% damage reduction. If hit by a geemer in her base form, she'll receive 10 damage. When she has the varia suit, she'll only take 9 damage. The gravity suit will reduce her damage by 20%, meaning she'll only receive 8 damage. When she acquires the Phazon suit, granting her a 50% damage reduction, she'll only receive 5 damage.
Yes, of course.
In the Super Metroid manual, it's clear on telling the owner that the varia suit cuts damage by 50% and the gravity suit cuts it by 25%. So this would mean that the suits are added. Can this be said of way it works in Metroid Prime? I don't know. This has to be found out by playing through the game and testing the damage reduction. This is how I found out that the dark, light, and PED suits don't cut damage, and that the hazard shield doesn't, either.
That doesn't mean that they stack. Can Samus wear both the Varia and Gravity Suit at the same time?
If the Phazon suit behaves as the gravity suit in Super Metroid in that it's added on, then that'd mean the Phazon suit is really cutting damage by 30%, since the gravity suit would only be cutting damage by another 10%. I suspect that's not the case, though.
So you suspect that they don't stack, or...?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It does, actually. This is why the varia and gravity suit give a total of 75% damage reduction. Samus can wear both the varia and gravity suit simultaneously. This is why Samus has added damage reduction and multiple effects like immunity from extreme heat and gravitational manipulation. This also occurs in Metroid Prime, including Samus' immunity to blue Phazon. So it does stack. I'm justsuspecting that the Phazon suit isn't 30% damage reduction, but 50%.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It does, actually. This is why the varia and gravity suit give a total of 75% damage reduction. Samus can wear both the varia and gravity suit simultaneously. This is why Samus has added damage reduction and multiple effects like immunity from extreme heat and gravitational manipulation. This also occurs in Metroid Prime, including Samus' immunity to blue Phazon. So it does stack. I'm justsuspecting that the Phazon suit isn't 30% damage reduction, but 50%.
The thing is, in Metroid Prime, the Varia Suit only reduces damage by 10%. This seems to indicate some sort of incompatibility with it and the Phazon Suit, which makes sense given that the Phazon Suit is just Samus's regular Power Suit corrupted by phazon energy. If you try to upgrade a suit that is now corrupted by some foreign energy, chances are it won't work quite right.

Also, according to the Metroid Wiki, the Phazon Suit does reduce damage by 50%.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The thing is, in Metroid Prime, the Varia Suit only reduces damage by 10%. This seems to indicate some sort of incompatibility with it and the Phazon Suit, which makes sense given that the Phazon Suit is just Samus's regular Power Suit corrupted by phazon energy. If you try to upgrade a suit that is now corrupted by some foreign energy, chances are it won't work quite right.

Also, according to the Metroid Wiki, the Phazon Suit does reduce damage by 50%.
Yeah, the varia suit reduces damage by 10% in Metroid Prime and the Phazon suit reduces it by 50%. That's what I've been saying. I don't think all varia suits and gravity suits are the same because not only do they vary in damage reduction, not all varia suits protect Samus from acid or extreme cold, or add a 9% speed increase, and not all gravity suits from magma/lava. In Metroid: Zero Mission, the varia suit cuts damage by 20% and this was probably intentional because while it reduced damage by 50% in the NES version, MZM also added the gravity suit so that the damage was cut by 50%.

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
No, I mean a source for it not possessing the attacker's mind and instead doing what you said.
That's how I and @ Reckless Godwin 2.0 Reckless Godwin 2.0 interpreted it. Already explained my reasoning.

I see. I think we should have those be one time use, then.
Agreed.

It wouldn't make too much of a difference; it would only really change damage values (and the occasional complete damage negation).
It'd make a big deal in some match-ups, but I'm not trying to waste time on Greninja right now.

@ Nerdicon Nerdicon
How do you mention fast characters and leave out Captain Falcon lol?

@Dryn
The Lightning Chariot gives off a lightning effect when traveling, so presumably it at least goes at the speed of lightning. It's also used for traveling around the galaxy, so it needs to probably move several million mph which is another reason I think it goes lightning speed in general. I'd argue it may even be able to reach warp speeds based on how it looks like it's in some kind of warp space while traveling from it's location.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
@ Nerdicon Nerdicon
How do you mention fast characters and leave out Captain Falcon lol?
Maybe he didn't know the speed. It looks like the Blue Falcon's normal speed if speed is preferred over acceleration is 1,003 km/h (622.98 mi/h), but it can go faster with the boost power.

@Dryn
The Lightning Chariot gives off a lightning effect when traveling, so presumably it at least goes at the speed of lightning. It's also used for traveling around the galaxy, so it needs to probably move several million mph which is another reason I think it goes lightning speed in general. I'd argue it may even be able to reach warp speeds based on how it looks like it's in some kind of warp space while traveling from it's location.
The Lightning Chariot doesn't look like it's passing the planet below very fast and the time to enter the warp tunnel takes a while. In the cut-scene where Phos and Lux fly through the force field is too fast to see, though. It looks like a beam of light, probably based on the names, Phos and Lux, which both mean light in Greek and Latin. The idol description says something interesting, however. "Its extreme speed is matched only by the destructive shots fired from the unicorns horns." I see a lightning attack used every now and then, but I don't know if that's coming from the horns. If so, then yeah, we could say they travel at the speed of lightning.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Yeah, the varia suit reduces damage by 10% in Metroid Prime and the Phazon suit reduces it by 50%. That's what I've been saying. I don't think all varia suits and gravity suits are the same because not only do they vary in damage reduction, not all varia suits protect Samus from acid or extreme cold, or add a 9% speed increase, and not all gravity suits from magma/lava. In Metroid: Zero Mission, the varia suit cuts damage by 20% and this was probably intentional because while it reduced damage by 50% in the NES version, MZM also added the gravity suit so that the damage was cut by 50%.
I see. They don't seem to be different Varia Suits, though; they look the same, have the same purpose, etc.
That's how I and @ Reckless Godwin 2.0 Reckless Godwin 2.0 interpreted it. Already explained my reasoning.
Interpretation isn't solid evidence, let alone of a wiki page. I suggest that we find the original lore from the games and go from there.
It'd make a big deal in some match-ups, but I'm not trying to waste time on Greninja right now.
M'kay.

Reckless Godwin 2.0

Smash Apprentice
Going to be the longest 2-3 weeks ever. I was in the middle of playing FE6 on my laptop :sadeyes:

Not to mention they actually survive repeated blows from lightning, that unlike some characters attacks actually resembles lightning in speed and appearance.

Pssh, in the GBA games they get stabbed through the chest and keep on trucking.
Don’t you have other computers or a hacked Wii handy? You’ll be back to Roy and friend’s happy slaughter party time before you know it! Are you enjoying it so far?

“TINK” That sound never gets old! Why on earth did we get Hyrule Warriors instead of Fire Emblem Warriors (you would never run out of viable picks from that universe and also have playable flyers and shape shifters)!?

Is there any way to damage the suit to bring the damage reduction down to less than 100%?
If you think Samus's suits are too absurd, you can always stack them in a multiplicative way rather than additively.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I see. They don't seem to be different Varia Suits, though; they look the same, have the same purpose, etc.
They are. The exceptions are the varia suit from Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Super Metroid to Metroid Fusion before the crash. The gravity suit from Super Metroid to Metroid: Other M are also the same. Samus presumably doesn't have the gravity suit active in Metroid Fusion before the crash.

Is there any way to damage the suit to bring the damage reduction down to less than 100%?
If you think Samus's suits are too absurd, you can always stack them in a multiplicative way rather than additively.
I'm not sure, honestly. I also am not sure what you mean by multiplicative and additive. Are you referring to multiplying the varia and Phazon suit, rather than adding it? That would make a difference, but the suits have always added the damage reduction, not multiplied. Say we multiplied the varia and gravity suits, as well as the Phazon suit from all the games (ignoring Metroid: Other M, since it's the same defense and armor from Super Metroid), then Samus would have a 0.00175% damage reduction. Let's use the 100 energy example again.

100 * 0.0000175 = 0.00175
100 - 0.00175 = 99.99825

That doesn't make any sense, unless we say the first part of that method means Samus only receives 0.00175 damage.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
They are. The exceptions are the varia suit from Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Super Metroid to Metroid Fusion before the crash. The gravity suit from Super Metroid to Metroid: Other M are also the same. Samus presumably doesn't have the gravity suit active in Metroid Fusion before the crash.
When is it stated that they're different?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
When is it stated that they're different?
It's not stated, it's demonstrated.

Varia Suit
  • Metroid: Zero Mission - 20% damage reduction; prevents heat damage and acid damage
  • Metroid Prime - 10% damage reduction; prevents heat damage but not acid damage
  • Metroid Prime Hunters - N/A
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - N/A
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - NA
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus - 50% damage reduction; increases speed by 9% (from what I calculated)
  • Super Metroid - 50% damage reduction; prevents heat damage
  • Metroid: Other M - 50% damage reduction; prevents heat damage
  • Metroid Fusion - 40% damage reduction; prevents heat and cold damage

Gravity Suit
  • Metroid: Zero Mission - 50% damage reduction; prevents damage from magma/lava; nullifies hindrances from liquids
  • Metroid Prime - 20% damage reduction; nullifies hindrances from liquids
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Replaced with the gravity boost, but it's unknown if it prevents damage from magma/lava
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - N/A
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus - It doesn't make its appearance in the game
  • Super Metroid - 25% damage reduction; prevents damage from magma/lava; nullifies hindrances from liquids
  • Metroid: Other M - 25% damage reduction; nullifies hindrances from liquids; negates gravitational fields
  • Metroid Fusion - 70% damage reduction; prevents damage from magma/lava; nullifies hindrances from liquids
Contradictions to prove my point
  • If the varia suits were the same, then Samus should never receive damage from acid, since that quality is present in the varia suit from MZM. Yet, Samus will take damage from acid rain in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and from acid in Super Metroid.
  • If the varia suits were the same, then Samus should also always have a speed increase if they're all the same, but that doesn't occur except in Metroid II: Return of Samus.
  • If all the gravity suits are the same, then in Metroid Prime, it should protect Samus from magma/lava, but it doesn't. It's also clearly stated on the official Metroid Prime Web site and in the manual that it doesn't protect Samus from magma/lava.
  • In Metroid: Other M, this is possibly an exception, since the gravity suit from Super Metroid is the same in Metroid: Other M. It's possible that the gravity suit receives damage to prevent the player from wandering out in the lava.
  • If all the varia and gravity suits were the same, then the damage reduction would remain the same.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Contradictions to prove my point
  • If the varia suits were the same, then Samus should never receive damage from acid, since that quality is present in the varia suit from MZM. Yet, Samus will take damage from acid rain in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and from acid in Super Metroid.
  • If the varia suits were the same, then Samus should also always have a speed increase if they're all the same, but that doesn't occur except in Metroid II: Return of Samus.
  • If all the gravity suits are the same, then in Metroid Prime, it should protect Samus from magma/lava, but it doesn't. It's also clearly stated on the official Metroid Prime Web site and in the manual that it doesn't protect Samus from magma/lava.
  • In Metroid: Other M, this is possibly an exception, since the gravity suit from Super Metroid is the same in Metroid: Other M. It's possible that the gravity suit receives damage to prevent the player from wandering out in the lava.
  • If all the varia and gravity suits were the same, then the damage reduction would remain the same.
Inconsistencies happen; for example, the Mini Mushroom didn't gain the ability to run up walls until New Super Mario Bros. U. Nevertheless, I'll address your arguments:
  • The speed increase is rather slight if what I've heard is correct, and seems like just a small inconsistency between games (which the suits do show; I'll get to that in a minute).
  • Samus also has the Phazon Suit here, which seems so be incompatible.
  • Indeed. This also sets a precedent for the suits' functions changing between games, meaning that these rather small inconsistencies don't really have much bearing on this issue.
  • Small inconsistency.
Also, it's worth noting that it's always referred to as "the Varia Suit", seeming to mean that there is only one. In addition, it's said to be custom made for Samus, again implying that there's likely only one.

Reckless Godwin 2.0

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure, honestly. I also am not sure what you mean by multiplicative and additive. Are you referring to multiplying the varia and Phazon suit, rather than adding it? That would make a difference, but the suits have always added the damage reduction, not multiplied. Say we multiplied the varia and gravity suits, as well as the Phazon suit from all the games (ignoring Metroid: Other M, since it's the same defense and armor from Super Metroid), then Samus would have a 0.00175% damage reduction. Let's use the 100 energy example again.

100 * 0.0000175 = 0.00175
100 - 0.00175 = 99.99825

That doesn't make any sense, unless we say the first part of that method means Samus only receives 0.00175 damage.
Additive: Super Metroid Ex.: V+G or (50%+25%)=75% damage reduction.

Multiplicative: Xenoblade Ex.: Summon Earth x 3*Monado Armor or (1-.15*3)*(1-.75)=86.25% damage reduction.

Theoretical example of both: Minimum attack power needed to hurt Lucina as a General while she is wearing the Varia and Gravity suits and under the effects of Level 10 Monado Armor is

A*(1-(V+G))*(1-M)-D=damage sustained or 1040*(1-(.5+.25))*(1-.75)-64=1 HP damage. Even Sonic will have difficulty cutting through that defense!

Varia Suit
  • Metroid: Zero Mission - 20% damage reduction; prevents heat damage and acid damage
  • Metroid Prime - 10% damage reduction; prevents heat damage but not acid damage
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - N/A
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - NA
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus - 50% damage reduction; increases speed by 9% (from what I calculated)
  • Super Metroid - 50% damage reduction; prevents heat damage
  • Metroid: Other M - 50% damage reduction; prevents heat damage
  • Metroid Fusion - 40% damage reduction; prevents heat and cold damage

Gravity Suit
  • Metroid: Zero Mission - 50% damage reduction; prevents damage from magma/lava; nullifies hindrances from liquids
  • Metroid Prime - 20% damage reduction; nullifies hindrances from liquids
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Replaced with the gravity boost, but it's unknown if it prevents damage from magma/lava
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - N/A
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus - It doesn't make its appearance in the game
  • Super Metroid - 25% damage reduction; prevents damage from magma/lava; nullifies hindrances from liquids
  • Metroid: Other M - 25% damage reduction; nullifies hindrances from liquids; negates gravitational fields
  • Metroid Fusion - 70% damage reduction; prevents damage from magma/lava; nullifies hindrances from liquids
Under most circumstances the Gravity suit replaces the Varia suit's damage mitigation, so it seems like the highest damage reduction for Samus seems to be 75% from Super Metroid.
Sources: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Varia_Suit and http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Gravity_Suit

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Inconsistencies happen; for example, the Mini Mushroom didn't gain the ability to run up walls until New Super Mario Bros. U. Nevertheless, I'll address your arguments:
  • The speed increase is rather slight if what I've heard is correct, and seems like just a small inconsistency between games (which the suits do show; I'll get to that in a minute).
  • Samus also has the Phazon Suit here, which seems so be incompatible.
  • Indeed. This also sets a precedent for the suits' functions changing between games, meaning that these rather small inconsistencies don't really have much bearing on this issue.
  • Small inconsistency.
Also, it's worth noting that it's always referred to as "the Varia Suit", seeming to mean that there is only one. In addition, it's said to be custom made for Samus, again implying that there's likely only one.
That looks less like an inconsistency and more like a new feature added into the game to serve a purpose. Wall running is not something new in the Marioverse. It was first introduced in Super Mario World and I'm sure in the Marioverse, there's more than one way to run up a wall. I'm also confused as to why you think the Phazon suit is incompatible.

Next, the word "varia" originally was supposed to mean "barrier", as that was how it would be translated from Japanese to English, just like how the morph ball was originally referred to as "maru mari". In other words, it would actually be called "barrier suit". This does not indicate what purpose the suit serves, other than to add another barrier over the suit Samus already has. Barriers also aren't limited on what they're supposed to protect someone from, and not all barriers are the same. As I've demonstrated, there are multiple kinds of varia suits, all of which share the same name.

The same would be with the gravity suit. In fact, this suit is just using "gravity suit technology", which the aqua pirates use, as well as the gravity boost created by the Luminoth. Kind of silly to use that technology for only one purpose, as if there's only one suit or one design. Let's face it, an engineer wouldn't simply make one design. They make Mk I, Mk II, Mk III . . . Mk XL.

The last issue is mainly a grammatical argument. Using the definite article does not indicate that there is only one model if this has been your argument thus far. "The king banished his enemies" does not indicate that there is only one king. There have been plenty of kings in history, all of different regions as well. If the varia suit is referred to in that manner, it's because contextually, we're talking about a specific varia suit, i.e., the varia suit Samus is currently using.

Additive: Super Metroid Ex.: V+G or (50%+25%)=75% damage reduction.

Multiplicative: Xenoblade Ex.: Summon Earth x 3*Monado Armor or (1-.15*3)*(1-.75)=86.25% damage reduction.

Theoretical example of both: Minimum attack power needed to hurt Lucina as a General while she is wearing the Varia and Gravity suits and under the effects of Level 10 Monado Armor is

A*(1-(V+G))*(1-M)-D=damage sustained or 1040*(1-(.5+.25))*(1-.75)-64=1 HP damage. Even Sonic will have difficulty cutting through that defense!
So Xenoblade uses the multiplicative? Also, what is "A" and "D" supposed to mean? I'd be interested in learning more about your method. I'm also wishing I paid more attention to the talk about Shulk.

Under most circumstances the Gravity suit replaces the Varia suit's damage mitigation, so it seems like the highest damage reduction for Samus seems to be 75% from Super Metroid.
Sources: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Varia_Suit and http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Gravity_Suit
Are you referring to the fact that in Super Metroid, removing the varia suit while leaving the gravity suit on makes it so that the gravity suit is reducing damage by 75% and negating the effects of heat damage? It seemed to me that in MOM, Samus' gravity suit reduces damage by 75%.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
That looks less like an inconsistency and more like a new feature added into the game to serve a purpose. Wall running is not something new in the Marioverse. It was first introduced in Super Mario World and I'm sure in the Marioverse, there's more than one way to run up a wall.
Still, it's the properties of an item changing from game to game. Another example is the Fire Flower, which has a time limit in the Galaxy games but not in the rest of the series (in fact, the Ice Flower has a much more radical change).
I'm also confused as to why you think the Phazon suit is incompatible.
As I said before, the Phazon suit is corrupted by Phazon energy, and is essentially "damaged" (but in a good way, if that makes sense), so I'd expect the Varia suit to not work quite as well (although not be entirely incompatible).
Next, the word "varia" originally was supposed to mean "barrier", as that was how it would be translated from Japanese to English, just like how the morph ball was originally referred to as "maru mari". In other words, it would actually be called "barrier suit". This does not indicate what purpose the suit serves, other than to add another barrier over the suit Samus already has. Barriers also aren't limited on what they're supposed to protect someone from, and not all barriers are the same. As I've demonstrated, there are multiple kinds of varia suits, all of which share the same name.
These suits all look the same, act roughly the same (with some game-to-game differences, which don't mean much as seen in Super Metroid/Other M), and it's never stated that they're separate.
The same would be with the gravity suit. In fact, this suit is just using "gravity suit technology", which the aqua pirates use, as well as the gravity boost created by the Luminoth. Kind of silly to use that technology for only one purpose, as if there's only one suit or one design. Let's face it, an engineer wouldn't simply make one design. They make Mk I, Mk II, Mk III . . . Mk XL.
It's not referred to as "Gravity suit Mk (x)", though. It's just "the Gravity suit". Of course there could be different applications for the technology, but I don't see much indication that there are multiple Gravity suits.
The last issue is mainly a grammatical argument. Using the definite article does not indicate that there is only one model if this has been your argument thus far. "The king banished his enemies" does not indicate that there is only one king. There have been plenty of kings in history, all of different regions as well. If the varia suit is referred to in that manner, it's because contextually, we're talking about a specific varia suit, i.e., the varia suit Samus is currently using.
Of course. It wouldn't mean much on its own, but when combined with the many similarities (and Other M demonstrating that the differences don't mean anything), it's just another supporting factor.

Reckless Godwin 2.0

Smash Apprentice
So Xenoblade uses the multiplicative? Also, what is "A" and "D" supposed to mean? I'd be interested in learning more about your method. I'm also wishing I paid more attention to the talk about Shulk.

Are you referring to the fact that in Super Metroid, removing the varia suit while leaving the gravity suit on makes it so that the gravity suit is reducing damage by 75% and negating the effects of heat damage? It seemed to me that in MOM, Samus' gravity suit reduces damage by 75%.
Actually it uses both! The Formula is located here: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Physical_Defence, but doesn’t account for Monado Armor here: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Monado_Armour. If you want to play around with that formula you can use this infamous guy’s stats: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Mischievous_Naberius.
A=Attack stat and D=Defense stat.

It seems to me that the two suits stack together in Super Metroid but the Gravity suit overrides the Varia suit in other games when it comes to damage reduction. We haven’t seen the suits stacked in such a way that they would give 100% damage reduction in the games and we should get interpretations of the wiki info from everyone else.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
So Kirby can use Crash an unlimited amount of times in Super Star, or...?
Nah, only the unlimited use abilities.
Winding up doesn't contribute to the force of a punch.
Yet, there's still plenty of reason to believe that if someone winds up, their punch will be quite powerful (note Giant Punch, also Sonic's/Wario's fsmashes).
You can't change your vote after the president has been elected, and you can't change your vote after the vote has been concluded.
Fine, then Mewtwo uses Future Sight (which goes past Protect) and attacks regular Sonic. Sonic'd be unconscious after enough uses of the move.
I don't see Kirby travelling that distance in 1/4 of a second. You didn't prove anything.
Uh, that's what the pictures were showing, Kirby traveling the distance in 1/4 of a second.
Some more that could likely catch Wheel Kirby:
Bowser Jr. (clown car)
Meta Knight (he flies rather quickly IIRC)
Peach (has similar jumping to Mario and Luigi)
Rosalina (Launch Star, and the same as Peach)
Mewtwo (teleportation)
Charizard (he can fly rather quickly if I'm not mistaken)
Greninja (he's rather quick too, isn't he?)
Pit (brawler gloves)
Palutena (super speed power, plus power of caging)
Et cetera.
I am going to do a different measuring for Kirby's speed. Wheel Kirby goes much faster than Dedede's tank. The average tank moves around 45 MPH on the road. That puts Kirby at about 60 MPH.
If a normal human can run at speeds exceeding 18 MPH, it seems rather obvious that one with superhuman leg strength could at least run at those speeds.
Normal humans don't run at speeds exceeding 18 MPH. Normal humans run at speeds around 10 MPH. Even the actual athletes don't run that fast, they run at about 16 MPH.
Then why are you saying that the clone did that because Kirby wanted him to?
The clone did it because Kirby wanted him to do it in that one instance.
I can't imagine Kirby surviving the Light Speed Attack (especially when Sonic can shred through metal at much lower speeds). Can Kirby use a Maxim Tomato once he's already dead?
If your logic is that Sonic's attacks would be powerful because they can destroy metal, then the same applies for Kirby, since he can destroy Metaluns and Big Metalun. Also, LSA has starting lag where Kirby can dodge, or he could just take it (seeing as regular Kirby survived a planetary explosion in the ending of KTD).
How thin can Kirby make himself?
Flat Kirby.PNG

And Kirby is a non-obstacle because he is only eight inches tall.
An obstacle that can jump into the enemy's attacks and block them.
And? All that matters is that the holes aren't facing Kirby.
Except they are facing Kirby, because Kirby flies in front of them.
Can either of those damage invincible enemies?
No, but I don't see why you bring this up, because Bowser isn't invincible.
What black hole resistance?
See below.
Lumas can shoot their own Star Bits, so it would be rather quick.
Then the Luma that shot them wouldn't have any Star Bits, so not quick.
B) When is it proven that those things are actual black holes?
C)

There seems to be some light distortion there.
B) What do you think they are? Hot dogs?
C) The black hole isn't the creature's mouth, it's a large black hole (with distorted light).

I'm sorry?
Earlier, as a response to Wheel Kirby, you were saying that characters can dodge attacks, so that makes them quick. Now, you're saying that dodging an attack doesn't make a character quick.
Again, this is assuming that one of Sonic's many metal-shredding attacks won't OHKO Kirby. Even still, Sonic has two options. He can A) attack again before Kirby even gets the chance to heal or B) attack so many times that Kirby simply runs out of healing items.
None of those would even work on Kirby as a stone
That's not instantly attacking.
The actual attack Kirby dodges is touch damage.

We haven't actually seen Sonic teleport, so we can assume the re-entry is the same speed as the initial teleport. Kirby has time to run out of the way, meaning he doesn't actually have to teleport in the first place.
On what grounds?
The fact that Mac can take their punches, and Mac's punches are quite effective.
And how do you know that the conclusions are accurate? A faulty calculator will still give the wrong answer even if you put the correct numbers in.
Math is involved a lot of the time, plus things stated in the games/episodes/movies/whatever are taken into account.
Five or seven or so =/= "a couple".
Are their punches actually five or seven times stronger than Mac's?
It's clear that Pikmin takes place on Earth (aside from the generic remains, there are also real-world companies here). This seems to be a regular knife, which we know cannot cut through space and time. Add that to the fact that Olimar hasn't studied this much, and he doesn't use that ability in-game, it's safe to say that it's just a regular knife.
Gameplay/lore > real life, so your argument that Pikmin takes place on Earth is invalid. Like Dryn said, Olimar studied the knife enough to actually get an analysis on it, and it wouldn't be much of a treasure if it was an ordinary knife.
Does he ever actually use this in game? I'm not trying to rain on your point, it just seems like it could be an example of exaggerated lore.
I doubt it, there were two examples of lore that confirmed this, plus the actual name of the treasure itself.

As for the mobility problem, this can simply be fixed by Olimar having a pyramid of Pikmin pass the slicer upwards for a full-scale slicing attack.
Can we count stage bosses, or just playable characters?
Everyone's just counting playable characters.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Nah, only the unlimited use abilities.
Okay, then we should only let Kirby use Crash etc. once (as in not renew it after it's used up).
Yet, there's still plenty of reason to believe that if someone winds up, their punch will be quite powerful (note Giant Punch, also Sonic's/Wario's fsmashes).
Such as?
Fine, then Mewtwo uses Future Sight (which goes past Protect) and attacks regular Sonic. Sonic'd be unconscious after enough uses of the move.
That takes two turns to activate, during which Sonic would likely KO Mewtwo (and if not, he would only lose a few Rings, which is no big deal really).
Uh, that's what the pictures were showing, Kirby traveling the distance in 1/4 of a second.
I didn't see Kirby at one side of the screen in one image and the other side in another image. He started about 2/3 of the way through.
I am going to do a different measuring for Kirby's speed. Wheel Kirby goes much faster than Dedede's tank. The average tank moves around 45 MPH on the road. That puts Kirby at about 60 MPH.
A) Unless the tank is stated to move at that speed, it doesn't.
B) We don't compare things with a stated speed to get the speed of another object anyways.
Normal humans don't run at speeds exceeding 18 MPH. Normal humans run at speeds around 10 MPH. Even the actual athletes don't run that fast, they run at about 16 MPH.
Mario and co. clearly are not normal humans. They jump 2-3 times their body height. Athletes do run at those speeds; see this article.
The clone did it because Kirby wanted him to do it in that one instance.
As proven by?
If your logic is that Sonic's attacks would be powerful because they can destroy metal, then the same applies for Kirby, since he can destroy Metaluns and Big Metalun. Also, LSA has starting lag where Kirby can dodge, or he could just take it (seeing as regular Kirby survived a planetary explosion in the ending of KTD).
Multiple security doors and military-grade robots > one rather small chunk of metal.

The Light Speed Attack does need charge time, but that charge can be stored. After it's stored, Sonic can run around, jump, and do whatever, and when it's released, it happens instantaneously.

How much force did said explosion contain?
Did he do that willingly, or was he crushed/flattened by an external force?
An obstacle that can jump into the enemy's attacks and block them.
Not in Stone form.
Except they are facing Kirby, because Kirby flies in front of them.
How well can Kirby steer the jet form?
No, but I don't see why you bring this up, because Bowser isn't invincible.
None of Mario's attacks can damage Bowser in, say, the final boss of NSMBU.
Then the Luma that shot them wouldn't have any Star Bits, so not quick.
Lumas pull Star Bits from an external source. In Galaxy, it's Mario's Star Bit count, and here, it's Rosalina's.
B) What do you think they are? Hot dogs?
C) The black hole isn't the creature's mouth, it's a large black hole (with distorted light).
B) I was thinking something resembling a vacuum cleaner (or Kirby's inhale, even).
C) And the face is clearly not distorted.
Earlier, as a response to Wheel Kirby, you were saying that characters can dodge attacks, so that makes them quick. Now, you're saying that dodging an attack doesn't make a character quick.
When did I say that? I can't recall; could you quote it please so I know what you're talking about?
None of those would even work on Kirby as a stone
And Kirby can't effectively attack in Stone form, and as I've already proven, the Helpers would be defeated rather easily.

Also, has Stone ever resisted the amount of force that a metal-shredding buzzsaw of a hedgehog moving at light speed would create?
The actual attack Kirby dodges is touch damage.
Since when was this about an invincible Kirby? We're talking about Kirby reacting to Sonic teleporting in and teleporting.
We haven't actually seen Sonic teleport, so we can assume the re-entry is the same speed as the initial teleport. Kirby has time to run out of the way, meaning he doesn't actually have to teleport in the first place.
The teleport seems rather quick to me. Sonic might be better off just using the Light Speed Attack or something similar, though.
The fact that Mac can take their punches, and Mac's punches are quite effective.
How does that relate to the strength of DK's punches?
Math is involved a lot of the time, plus things stated in the games/episodes/movies/whatever are taken into account.
And how do you know that everything is accurate, even when it doesn't directly come from the things you listed (such as, say, the method for calculating power levels)?
Are their punches actually five or seven times stronger than Mac's?
We're discussing "planetary" Kirby bosses vs. regular Kirby enemies.
Gameplay/lore > real life, so your argument that Pikmin takes place on Earth is invalid. Like Dryn said, Olimar studied the knife enough to actually get an analysis on it, and it wouldn't be much of a treasure if it was an ordinary knife.
Gameplay and lore both suggest that PNF-404 is similar to Earth.

When do we see the studies of Olimar showing that the knife has those properties?

Seeing as how things like, say, a pencil are considered "treasures", Olimar doesn't seem to have very high standards.
I doubt it, there were two examples of lore that confirmed this, plus the actual name of the treasure itself.
Olimar's journal =/= lore, and the name is irrelevant.
As for the mobility problem, this can simply be fixed by Olimar having a pyramid of Pikmin pass the slicer upwards for a full-scale slicing attack.
Have Pikmin done this sort of thing before (or rather, has Olimar organized them efficiently enough to do so, and quickly enough to not get killed before they're finished)? What would swinging the knife like this do exactly?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Still, it's the properties of an item changing from game to game. Another example is the Fire Flower, which has a time limit in the Galaxy games but not in the rest of the series (in fact, the Ice Flower has a much more radical change).
So? There are different flowers in our world. Why must fire and ice flowers all be the same?

As I said before, the Phazon suit is corrupted by Phazon energy, and is essentially "damaged" (but in a good way, if that makes sense), so I'd expect the Varia suit to not work quite as well (although not be entirely incompatible).
More like "infected" than "damaged". The power suit has organic components. While it's stated to be corrupted, or infected, actually ("viral exposure"), notice it says nothing negative about the Phazon suit, but only beneficial things. This is likely due to the fact that the power suit is modular in nature. Not only has it been modified by Phazon exposure, but it's been also modified in the past with Luminoth technology (dark and light suit), Federation technology (PED suit and technically the Metroid vaccine), and space pirate technology (hazard shield). I don't see why the varia suit wouldn't work very well, especially when having the Phazon suit doesn't affect the effects of the varia suit in Metroid Prime.

These suits all look the same, act roughly the same (with some game-to-game differences, which don't mean much as seen in Super Metroid/Other M), and it's never stated that they're separate.
In Metroid Prime, Samus loses the varia suit among other upgrades. She acquires another one some time while on Tallon IV. In Metroid Fusion, Samus loses all of her upgrades because her powered armor had to have large portions surgically removed. They're not the same.

It's not referred to as "Gravity suit Mk (x)", though. It's just "the Gravity suit". Of course there could be different applications for the technology, but I don't see much indication that there are multiple Gravity suits.
Of course it's not given a designation. However, here's evidence that there's more than one version. Upon rebooting after being infected by a rezbit virus, Samus' HUD will show a message. This message includes, "Chozo Battle Suit Ver SA1-4468-VM6-P". There's your model number. I wouldn't expect games to get that technical upon acquiring a varia suit or gravity suit. If you and I are talking about a mouse for a laptop, we don't get into the details about what model number it is. We just refer to it as "a mouse". The fact that each kind functions differently is evidence enough.

Another point worth noting is that in MZM, Samus cannot use the space jump, the gravity suit, or the plasma beam. Her pauldrons lack the spherical shape everyone is so familiar with up until she acquires the legendary power suit. Upon acquiring the space jump, gravity suit, and plasma beam, Samus will receive a message: "Analysis inconclusive. Item incompatible with current suit." It's a different power suit. With these two points in mind, it's highly probable that the same can be said for the varia and gravity suit.

Next, Samus acquires the varia and gravity suit from the Galactic Federation in Metroid Fusion by downloading the data. All of Samus' previous varia and gravity suits were designed by the Chozo, not the Federation. One final point. Dryn (from whom I get my user name) was a key scientist in power suit technology. This Chozo lived for over millennia before Samus was even born, and the earliest data about the Chozo history starts with SkyTown, Elysia where we learn of Dryn's importance in power suit technology. Kind of silly to think the armor would have not had many models by then.

Actually it uses both! The Formula is located here: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Physical_Defence, but doesn’t account for Monado Armor here: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Monado_Armour. If you want to play around with that formula you can use this infamous guy’s stats: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Mischievous_Naberius.
A=Attack stat and D=Defense stat.

It seems to me that the two suits stack together in Super Metroid but the Gravity suit overrides the Varia suit in other games when it comes to damage reduction. We haven’t seen the suits stacked in such a way that they would give 100% damage reduction in the games and we should get interpretations of the wiki info from everyone else.
Thanks. It's unfortunate we cannot see how the other upgrades function, since only Super Metroid allows you to activate and deactivate them. We've never seen the suits give Samus 100% damage reduction because none of the games have ever had upgrades to allow that. Again, if we take Metroid Fusion, then there's that 95% damage reduction people talk about, but I'm not concerned about that and have my own personal reason for ignoring it.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
So? There are different flowers in our world. Why must fire and ice flowers all be the same?
They seem to be the same species.
More like "infected" than "damaged". The power suit has organic components. While it's stated to be corrupted, or infected, actually ("viral exposure"), notice it says nothing negative about the Phazon suit, but only beneficial things. This is likely due to the fact that the power suit is modular in nature. Not only has it been modified by Phazon exposure, but it's been also modified in the past with Luminoth technology (dark and light suit), Federation technology (PED suit and technically the Metroid vaccine), and space pirate technology (hazard shield). I don't see why the varia suit wouldn't work very well, especially when having the Phazon suit doesn't affect the effects of the varia suit in Metroid Prime.
The suit does have some biological components, and those are likely the part being affected by Phazon and thus causing the Varia suit to not quote work right. Does Samus get the Varia suit before the Phazon suit? If so, then we should see if there's anything else that may be causing this.
In Metroid Prime, Samus loses the varia suit among other upgrades. She acquires another one some time while on Tallon IV. In Metroid Fusion, Samus loses all of her upgrades because her powered armor had to have large portions surgically removed. They're not the same.
According to the Metroid timeline, Metroid Prime is preceded only by Zero Mission, which features a 20% reduction in that game. This seems to mean that the Varia suit in ZM and the beginning of Prime are one in the same, but separate from the Varia suit featured throughout the rest of the series. As for Fusion, that's at the end of the timeline, so that only indicates that that game's Varia suit is different. Interestingly enough, the series is almost bookended with Samus replacing her suits.
Of course it's not given a designation. However, here's evidence that there's more than one version. Upon rebooting after being infected by a rezbit virus, Samus' HUD will show a message. This message includes, "Chozo Battle Suit Ver SA1-4468-VM6-P". There's your model number. I wouldn't expect games to get that technical upon acquiring a varia suit or gravity suit. If you and I are talking about a mouse for a laptop, we don't get into the details about what model number it is. We just refer to it as "a mouse". The fact that each kind functions differently is evidence enough.
Except the changes in function are negated when taking into account the lava damage found in Other M that you brought up. Also, this doesn't relate to the Varia or Gravity suits.
Another point worth noting is that in MZM, Samus cannot use the space jump, the gravity suit, or the plasma beam. Her pauldrons lack the spherical shape everyone is so familiar with up until she acquires the legendary power suit. Upon acquiring the space jump, gravity suit, and plasma beam, Samus will receive a message: "Analysis inconclusive. Item incompatible with current suit." It's a different power suit. With these two points in mind, it's highly probable that the same can be said for the varia and gravity suit.
While it is a possibility, there's no such statement for the Varia and Gravity suits.
Next, Samus acquires the varia and gravity suit from the Galactic Federation in Metroid Fusion by downloading the data. All of Samus' previous varia and gravity suits were designed by the Chozo, not the Federation.
And this makes sense, since she lost her upgrades earlier in the game. However, since it takes place after the rest of the series, it doesn't have much bearing on other games.
One final point. Dryn (from whom I get my user name) was a key scientist in power suit technology. This Chozo lived for over millennia before Samus was even born, and the earliest data about the Chozo history starts with SkyTown, Elysia where we learn of Dryn's importance in power suit technology. Kind of silly to think the armor would have not had many models by then.
Of course the power suit would have multiple models, but they wouldn't necessarily all be used by Samus.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I suppose 28.65 meters is fine.

Comparatively speaking, yes, 9.69 lbs. is light, but heavier than a basilisk. I'm fine with working with the speed for the wheel ability, though. He could cover 100 meters in 7.71 seconds.

Well, Mach 5 should be 6,182.4 km/h. Samus' should be 2,472.96 km/h. I'm not sure where the speeds for Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena come from. Samus' gunship travels 7.2 times faster than light. I want to be clear on that. The arwing is supposed to travel Mach 4.2 in the atmosphere. I think they meant a higher altitude. At 20,000, sound travels 660 mi/h, so multiplying that should give you 2,772 mi/h (4,462.92 km/h). My only problem with the arwing speed is that there's no citation. I'm not sure how to find out how fast the lightning chariot travels.
If we count vehicles here, we shouldn't forgot Alph's Drake. Between Koppai and PNF-404 there are 279000 light years, and the Drake travels that distance 2 times. Supposing Koppai can survive about ten years from the start of Alph's journey, the Drake travels 279000 light years in 5 years. But we have to count that if Alph leave Koppai for ten years, on the planet that time is something like 2000 years. So the Drake has to travel something like hundreds of times the speed of light, and Alph can survive in this situation.

Top Bottom