• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

demon itachi

Smash Cadet
does ne1 have any tips for l canceling or controlling the height of your lazorz during SHL.
btw i finally learned how to own marths thanks to this thread!!!! i also found that i play much better when i play with fast music (the music in the game is to slow and my fingers usually match the music) you will find that you cand do things you've never done before.

JiggsIsMyHero

Smash Cadet
l canceling is just a matter of practice and timing... You have to learn 4 different timings: shffling when you don't hit a shield, shffling when you do (the shield changes the timing ever so slightly), l canceling non-ff short hops and l canceling non-ff short hops that hit shields. Just put it on training or play versus with a lev one or an unmanned human player and practice each timing in turn until you're pretty good at it in a vaccuum, then practice mixing them up and finally try using the techs in real matches. Don't get discouraged though when you are terrible at performing these l-cancels the first few friendlies you play with em... It's a million times tougher to use tech skills in real matches than when you're all alone.

As for the lasers... Well, you'll probably never have perfect control of the height, but that's just another place where practice makes perfect. Nothing tricky about that one... High lasers are shot a touch earlier than low ones.

GL practicing this stuff up!

Hey Shiz, is JC shining actually useful? It seems like an awful lot of work for someone who doesn't have your godlike speed like myself, especially when I can just shine-> short hop shine-> jump to dair as an effective alternative to the standard pillar or just waveshine in place. Are JC shines any faster than waveshines in place? Also, I see that you use the aerial shine-> second jump bair combo a lot to deal with aerial targets... What characters and percentages does this work at? I can **** fast-fallers with it already, but chars like mario/luigi/jiggs/peach and often marth I have troubles catching with it.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Sorry szholo, I forgot your question can you tell it to me again please?

Abulize, what I mean by shine spiking is hitting them with the front part of your shine while they are under the stage(Like final d) it will hit them up so they hit the wall, and then they will fall down.

JiggsIsMyHero, You can do the shine to bair to any char, it doesn't need to be a certain percent, I just do it when ever they are open, I know it looks flashy, but thats not the reason why I do it, it racks up 20 dmg everytime you do it. And JC shines IMO are much better then doing shine jump shine come down with a dair, because if you get hit after you do the second shine you will have lost your jump, and if your at higher damages after you loose your jump it could be hard to come back to the stage. So I usually just do Shine shine dair shine shine, repeat, to break they're shield....

No problem Doc :).

Guys, be sure to check out my falco combo vid teaser, its located in video discussion under Miscellaneous videos, the Title of it is called Pause & Break, its showing you a small portion of what type of combos will be in the video and stuff like that :).

szholo

Smash Rookie
np.. can u rate my falco plz? the links are on page 5.. tell me what am i doing wrong or tips dunno xD ..

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Ok, I'll check out your falco real quick then rate you. Out of 10

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Hmmmm Szholo, after watching your vids. I don't have much advice to give you other than not shielding as much. You shield a lot, and when you fight more advanced people they will punish you for shielding, like if the person you were playing was more smarter, everytime you shielded he could of grabbed you. Try not shielding as much. And since your friend likes to try to get technical when you are shielding. Try practicing jumping out of your shield with a shine and then start your comboing that way, thats what I do. But your falcos not bad, keep it up :).

MrBubbleTea

Smash Rookie
Trying to do the shine --> bair, and I can do it at lower percentages, but above 100%, I can't get it consistently...

Is the trick solely based on fast fingers, or are their any tips/tricks involved in execution?

Thanks in advance!

kidprecision

Smash Apprentice
That sounds like a mental issue? Can you not execute moves while your at higher percentages? I dont think percentage affects moves (bair) but it does affect techs (ledge).

MrBubbleTea

Smash Rookie
Sorry, i meant when my OPPONENT is at high percentages. They fly too high, but I see people shine ---> bair like height isn't an issue

nemo08

Smash Rookie
Hi, is it very important that you wavedash to do all this moves, cause i cant wavedash very well, could you teach me dashizwiz, and help me be a good falco and also a good fox, please give me some tips to help me improve my game. I would rather use fox than falco but i like both of them. please help.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
In my videos when I do that I push the Shine, then I push up on the Analog Stick(The stick that controls where your char moves) then I push the C-stick to do the move I want to do I usually push back to do a Bair...
I never use the c stick really except for my smashes. But is it really a problem if i jump cancel the shine to get above my opponent and then push the analog stick down and then A. But my timing on pushing the analog stick back down is tricky cuz i have to push it down as i'm going up so i don't fast fall.

Also about jump canceling in place. You say you do that with x or y. How is that accomplished? Sorry but I never knew that was possible.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
I would rather use fox than falco
Get out of this forum now!!! :laugh:
No one can teach you how to wd really. You just have to get the timing down. Falco's wd is nothing compared to Fox's because with Falco you have to wait a couple extra frames before you hit the jump button. And seeing how few posts you have you seem to be new so check out the Falco guides at the top and watch some clips on youtube. Some famous Falco's out there are PC Chris, Dope and Bombsoldier. I don't know anymore but maybe someone else has a list.

JiggsIsMyHero

Smash Cadet
Hey shiz. Thanks for the advice on the aerial shine > bair thing. It works wonders. Doesn't seem to be as easy to pull off on fastfallers below about 40% though... But if that's the only time it's not useful then it's a hell of a move. Pisses off the people I play with, too. :)

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Awesome JiggsIsMyHero.

Nemo, I suggest you play with only one of those chars untill you get more advanced. Switching from Falco to Fox is not too good of a thing when your trying to learn the advanced tactics.... it messes up your L-canceling, wavedashing, timing etc. Tell me which char you want to use and I can help you out, I havn't put up any vids of my fox but I think its pretty good.... it helped me win the last tournament I went to. Falco did the majority though...considering I was playing against the best Marth in FL. And yes, Its very important to know how to wavedash....and L-cancel....

Kamikaze Falco, I honestly suggest that you should practice with just pushing up to JC the shine when your in the air, and then just use the c-stick to do a bair/dair/fair/uair. Just practice it with the c-stick.... at the beginning it felt weird for me too.

Szholo, I'd rate you either a 6-7. I don't know which one... but your falco's not bad :).

Mr.bubbletea, if you want to land the Shine -----> Bair most of the time. You should do the shine near the upper part of your opponents char. Try to hit them with the shine around their chest and up... it helps much more like that :).

MrBubbleTea

Smash Rookie
Mr.bubbletea, if you want to land the Shine -----> Bair most of the time. You should do the shine near the upper part of your opponents char. Try to hit them with the shine around their chest and up... it helps much more like that :).
Thanks for the advice! However, do you find it easy to hit the top of a char in a match setting? Seems a bit risky, but I bet it isn't so bad once you get the hang of it.

nemo08

Smash Rookie
thanks, who do you think is better fox or falco for me to use, i would rather use fox, but i will play with falco to get some advanced tactics, what tips can you give me.

Harbinger

Smash Apprentice
On a highly competitive level, Falco does really well against Marth on Yoshi's Story moreso than Marth can.

Nice name dropping...

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Awesome JiggsIsMyHero.

Nemo, I suggest you play with only one of those chars untill you get more advanced. Switching from Falco to Fox is not too good of a thing when your trying to learn the advanced tactics.... it messes up your L-canceling, wavedashing, timing etc. Tell me which char you want to use and I can help you out, I havn't put up any vids of my fox but I think its pretty good.... it helped me win the last tournament I went to. Falco did the majority though...considering I was playing against the best Marth in FL. And yes, Its very important to know how to wavedash....and L-cancel....

Kamikaze Falco, I honestly suggest that you should practice with just pushing up to JC the shine when your in the air, and then just use the c-stick to do a bair/dair/fair/uair. Just practice it with the c-stick.... at the beginning it felt weird for me too.

Szholo, I'd rate you either a 6-7. I don't know which one... but your falco's not bad :).

sry but does this include shffling also using the c stick for that? For example i'm running at my opponent and jump with y and then c stick down to do the dair and than fast fall L-cancel.

nemo08

Smash Rookie
hey dashizwiz so what advice can you give me in using falco, ive been practicing wavdashing with him and im getting the hang of it, i can wavedash now i just need to make him faster thanks for the tips, but what other tip or advice can you give me?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this is off topic or not seeing as how it's not something directly related to tech skill for falco, but what are some strategies for falco dittos? Let's assume for the sake of simplicity that it's being played on FD.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
DASHIZWIZ!

I need 2 or 3 recommendations for fighting a sheik that has a great great defensive game. the sheik I play can power shield 80% of the time, crouches lasers, and can mindgame grabs against me. It's like she's invincible!!

I only do well when the sheik comes after me. what I'm asking is that you share some simple approaches and mindgames to penetrate this *****. Even at FD I don't have a chance.

note, I already do shl, shffl dair over him to utilt, I do reverse lasers, but it's all pointless once I get grabbed, I get uthrow to dash attack, to tilts, to dash attack. I just DI until I'm off the stage usually. but then its hard to get back, because of the chain and needles.

basically,

better approach
better mindgames
better recovery
better way to get past his shield grabs and grabs.

ForestSage

Smash Journeyman
I really suck at shine combos..and yes, I try to play Falco. :[

Is it not very possible to d-air-> shine once there at an upper percent? For me they'll get hit by the d-air(while on the ground) and then just kind of get pushed out of the way, out of the shines reach.

So my main question: do you have any tips for shine combos in general? Especially, on chars with normal falling speed.

Also, you're falco dittos are soentertaining :]

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Im not dashizwiz but I can say this. When you dair and it pops them up in the air. You can do some other move like nair or dair for example. Make sure you shffl your moves too.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Also, depending on how they DI, if they're at high percentages and you dair them, you can follow up with a forward smash and get a kill.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Ok.

SheerMadness, IMO I think you should be beating that Fox. Yes he's pretty technical, but a falco should always be around equal against a Fox. What I think you should do is doing more grabs definitely. Grab him throw him up and catch him in the air with a shine. If he's a smart Fox, that liks to keep pushing down b to shine before you shine. Just throw him up and Forward smash. Try to get better at combos, once you get a Fox/Falco/CF in a shine on FD, they shouldn't be getting out of the combo untill around 60 percent, and if your good at comboing around 90 percent. And try not to do unecessary stuff like the turn around in the shine. Just do that when your edgehogging, stuff like that, because you got punished for it. I mean I can jump under a platform shine in the air turn around in the shine and waveland off a platform, but I do it rarely as a mindgame. But it's ok if you do flashy stuff cause its only a friendly. But my most advice to you is to try to get better at comboing, mindgame your shine, throw him up and catch him in the air with a shine, it works pretty good, or crouch cancel a nair or dair and keep pushing down b, but try to do it unexcpectedly so he won't notice most of the time. Cause 90% of the time you'll get him with a shine if you do that :). And then after the shine, you should be able to atleast get him to like 60 dmg... Oh and another thing, if he ever trys to break your shield, or if your shielding and he comes at you with Nairs and stuff like that, just jump out of your shield with a shine, you can start your combos pretty well with that. Usually I've been jumping out of my shield with a shine so I land on the floor with a shine instead of jumping in the air with a shine. You can start comboing either way. BTW your Falco's pretty good, just needs some help in some areas, mines not perfect lol.

ForestSage, in Falco ditto's you just want to try and get in that shine. Like what I was telling to SheerMadness, just mindgame the shine untill you can get one, usually once I get a shine I can get them to atleast 60 percent or so. Try not to get hit by to many lasers, jump out of your shield with a shine when he's upclose, believe me it helps a lot lol. And no you can't keep doing Dair shine to combo them after the third time starting from 0. They will start floating. So what I do to combo Falco's/Fox, I made this up and I usually don't tell anyone, I start this from 0, I do Dair shine, Dair shine, Dair Uptilt, Forward smash. It *****. It gets them off the stage and gives them like 60-70 dmg. I do have other combos, but I forgot some. When I'm playing I remember them lol.

REØ

Smash Lord
I'm having problems with multi shining, well I can do it consistantly and easy but it's my thumb................Is the button sliding supposed to be digging into your tissue because it's starting to wreck my thumb and it hurts hella lot.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Yeah Marth05, its supposed to hurt at first. But I have a callusk on my thumb now So my thumbs ok :). But when you say multi shining to you mean like.... JC'ed shines?

REØ

Smash Lord
Yea, I hate saying JC shines because it's sounds like you just jc it so I use multi shining because I like it better imo.

ForestSage

Smash Journeyman
Alrightt, thanks to you three who replied to my post. I'll keep practicing.. So unless your amazing at comboing, you can really only do shine combos up until 60 percent?

I can shffl everything fine, I could use more practice on hitting things and shffling..but I can normally get it.
k, thanks again.

JiggsIsMyHero

Smash Cadet
Multishine is the new hip and unambiguous way to say JC shine when you mean shine > jump > shinecancel jump (that thing you do really well). It's all here in this thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=88258&page=1

Dashizwiz, I've come up against yet another huge obstacle... All the Rochester area smashers are beginning to realize that in tournament play I roll pretty much exclusively with Falco unless I'm really playing him horribly, and unfortunately MANY of them play decent peaches. I'm gettin creamed... Every player there either plays a wicked fox (which I'm getting pretty good at facing at this point, so no worries) or a wicked peach, and I get crushed by the peach players. Any thoughts on how to take on a peach as Falco? I'm gonna try my best to work in the SHL to dash-grab and uair comboes more, but all it takes is one well-placed dsmash from peach and I'm toast... ANY help would be much appreciated.

On a related note, I play a lot of different characters pretty well (Yoshi, YL, Marth, jiggs [duh! ^^], Peach and samus all come to mind), but none nearly so well as falco (except YL, but what good is that?). Any thoughts on who I should choose to work up as an alternative to Falco for those times when I'm just getting wtfpwnd but falco counters? I'm willing to pick up any character if it means having a perfect backup for falco, so ANYONE you have in mind I'll take seriously, even if they aren't on that list.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Ok guys, I have to make this brief because I'm at my cousins house and I'm busy. JiggsIsMyHero, for a counter vs peach I would say CF, or Marth. They seem to workout pretty well for me in friendlies against the best peach in florida. I like to use other chars in friendlies lol.

Blunted, some tips vs peach with falco would be try to avoid her, shoot a sufficient amount of lasers. Try to link everything you do with lasers. You have to try to mindgame your shine. Try not to combo, you should do Shine to Uair untill they get to around 50 dmg. After they get to 50 dmg you should start getting them with shine to dair to uptilt then short hop uair, stuff like that.

I'll help you guys out later, right now I'm forty-five minutes from my house and I'm not leaving my cousins house yet. But i'll try to post again once I get home :).

Sorry if I forgot someones request, i'll be sure to get to you next post.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Alrightt, thanks to you three who replied to my post. I'll keep practicing.. So unless your amazing at comboing, you can really only do shine combos up until 60 percent?

I can shffl everything fine, I could use more practice on hitting things and shffling..but I can normally get it.
k, thanks again.
What do you consider shine comboing? You can shl into a JC shine into an aerial or shine (depending on opponent's character and DI) regardless of their percentage, unless of course the shine is enough to kill them, which you should not reach if you're playing with Falco.

wheaty91

Smash Apprentice
I live in a state that starts with 'I' and ends in
i would like a few tips on the following
1. how the hell do you wavedash so well (i can only get the timing do right like 2 times)
2. edge hop double laser
3. shine comboing
4. attacking out of a wavedash (i never did get how that works)
just a few tips would be welcome other than practice (ways to practice work, just not "practice")

Thanks

Junpappy

Smash Lord
i would like a few tips on the following
1. how the hell do you wavedash so well (i can only get the timing do right like 2 times)
2. edge hop double laser
3. shine comboing
4. attacking out of a wavedash (i never did get how that works)
just a few tips would be welcome other than practice (ways to practice work, just not "practice")

Thanks
I'm not trying to mock you or anything, but that's pretty much everything technical about Falco minus shl and general tech skill.

Top Bottom