• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs a cut characters thread, Who do YOU think will almost certainly be in the game?

Which of these characters do you think is a guarantee? Obviously you can select more then one option

• Ness

Votes: 151 89.3%
  • Capt. Falcon

Votes: 159 94.1%
  • Jigglypuff

Votes: 116 68.6%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 141 83.4%
  • Falco

Votes: 106 62.7%
  • Ice Climbers

Votes: 127 75.1%
  • Mr Game & Watch

Votes: 145 85.8%
  • Wario

Votes: 155 91.7%
  • R.O.B.

Votes: 97 57.4%
  • Meta Knight

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • Wolf

Votes: 69 40.8%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Ivysaur

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Lucas

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Snake

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • Mewtwo

Votes: 59 34.9%
  • Dr Mario (not as a costume)

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Roy

• Young Link

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • lmao Pichu

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
For me, I am farely certain that anyone who has been in both Melee and Brawl is a guarantee.

I also think that Wario and Meta Knight are guarantees with the whiteboard and Direct hints.

Another character who I think is a guarantee who gets alot of flak is R.O.B., he has plenty of reasons (and an arguable hint) to stay and literally no reasons to get cut.

As for newcomers, Palutena is the only Shoo-in in my opinion. although Chrom is also very likely (just not shoo-in).

What about you, who are you confident is going to be in?

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Voted for all characters playable in Melee that returned in Brawl. Along with every Starter chacter in Brawl sans Ivysaur and Squirtle. Until proven otherwise it is my belief that being in two Smash games solidifies you quite a bit. That may change if they do some sort of reboot in a future game. But until someone like Falco who's been in half the games already is taken out. It's not an entirely crazy theory.

As for Newcomers, I think Miis are practically assured still. Palutena as well after the direct basically removed any doubts, especially with that fake out with psedo Palutena.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ness, C. Falcon, Meta Knight, Ganon, Wario, Jigglypuff, Falco and G&W are definitely guaranteed. ICs and R.O.B are extremely likely too. Snake, Mewtwo, Wolf and Lucas are borderline. Squirtle and Ivysaur are almost certainly out. The rest of the cut Melee gang don't stand a chance imo.

Palutena and Pac-Man are shoe-ins as far as newcomers go, with Chrom being extremely likely too.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I pretty much agree with the voting results. Captain Falcon, Ness, Falco, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch,and Jigglypuff are very likely in my opinion. Though with the Ice Climbers it's weird that they haven't confirmed them yet, the others are probably going to be secret characters so they're probably okay.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I really like the idea of this poll.
Gives a better idea of the communities perceptions, pre-E3.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Ness to Meta Knight = In
Wolf, Snake, Lucas, Mewtwo = Iffy
Squirtle, Ivysaur, Dr. Mario, Roy, Young Link, Pichu = Out

That's how I see it right now.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
WHO SERIOUSLY THINKS META KNIGHT AND JIGGLYPUFF DON'T HAVE A HUGE CHANCE!?
I voted Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers, Mr.Game and Watch, Wario, ROB, and Meta Knight.
Really close to voting Falco and Ganondorf, but I'm not 100% on them.
Mewtwo, Wolf, Snake, and Lucas could, I'm not sure.
Roy has a very little chance, but seeing Ike he may not because Chrom would get in over him and FE will not get 4 reps this game.
Dr.Mario as a costume, more than that=no.
Young Link as a costume for Toon Link? Maybe...nah. He's cut.
Pichu, Ivisaur, and Squirtle are 100% gone, except maybe trophy wise.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Voted yes to:

Ness: One of the originals, and I think Lucas will be cut, so again he will be the only rep of his series, his spot is safe.

Captain Falcon: Same as Ness, plus Falcon Punch has become such a thing that it wouldn't feel like smash bros without it.

Jigglypuff: Will probably return, even though I wish she would be cut, we have plenty of pokemon already, and plenty of other options for more. I think being one of the originals Jiggs is safe.

Ganondorf: The main villain of the Legend of Zelda? He's in and I hope he has a shiny new moveset too, I love this guy.

Falco: One of the more popular Star Fox characters (I think), he's been with us since Melee, I don't see him going anywhere, maybe some new moves so he isn't a "Semi Clone"

Ice Climbers: Unless the 3DS can't handle them, I don't see why they would be cut, nerf those chaingrabs omfg!

Mr. Game & Watch: I just don't see him being cut.

Wario: Only rep of his series and is also a Mario spinoff character, he's safe.

Metaknight: We hate him (Well I do) but he's one of Sakurai's babies, he won't be cut for sure.

Mewtwo: One of the most popular Pokemon, with new mega evolution there is no way he won't be returning!

Iffy:

R.O.B: He was a cool addition into Brawl, I think he's a character that can and will be cut for others.

Wolf: Same as R.O.B, I like Wolf a lot, but I feel he can be replaced with Krystal (more unique moveset...OMFG FEMALE STAFF USER)

Snake: Not a fan of the character but it was cool he was in Brawl, we'll see if Nintendo can/wants to get him again. Megaman being confirmed made me forget all about Snake tbh.

Cut:

Squirtle/Ivysaur: I hate it but Charizard is alone now.

Lucas: He's just Ness with different hair, and that series is fine at 1 rep anyway

Dr. Mario: Nope

Roy: Nope

Young Link: Toon Link? Nah

Pichu: Nope

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Ice Climbers aren't going anywhere, if Rosalina can essentially be a 2 person team on a 3DS than IC are just as likely. They are overplayed characters who really took off in the smash scene so removing them would only leave a bitter taste in fans mouths.

ROB has no reason to leave either, he's not responsible for anybody being denied entry to the game because he was considered higher priority. If you honestly think he's the reason the forbidden 7 were cut than you really need to get out more. I'm tired of seeing people hate on him, he deserved his spot in brawl and is definitely welcomed in Sm4sh.

Wolf shouldn't have to be cut, he already had his moves altered to be unique. Simply changing his specials or at least his FS and nobody would be complaining who hasn't already played with him thoroughly. Falco on the otherhand would need a complete work over but still somebody I'm not expecting to lose anytime soon.

Mewtwo isn't coming back, they dropped the ball on him in Brawl after several delays. The fan outcry may be there but I don't see him coming back. I honestly believe he should have been over Lucario but since he's returning, I don't think they'll bother this time.

Dr Mario main back in Melee but yeah he's not coming back at all. Same with Roy or Pichu, these guys are 100% dropped. Just hope for another Project M/Project B brings them back

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Why the hell does Pichu have more votes than Snake?
Pichu is more likely than Snake? Much easier to bring in a cloned second party character than it is to get a unique third party one, although the offer may already have been up to lend him for free. (Even if he was to begin with.)

KatKit

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon.

I'm very sure that darn near everyone else will return, too... but I feel like Cap is the next veteran reveal.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I made a post regarding this subject in the official character discussion thread, based on which characters had evidence within the game itself that supported their already likely returns. I believe just about every character on this list is practically a guarantee. I suppose I'll just copy it over to here.

Meta Knight
: This picture. I'm going to be referring to that one a lot, mind you. This is a bit of concept art Sakurai posted on twitter. Here, we can see a number of veterans who were previously in Smash, including ones that have yet to be confirmed. With the confirmation of Zero Suit Samus, probably the least likely to return out of all the characters on the concept art (that's not to say she was unlikely at all; just that she was the least likely in that group of very likely characters), I think the picture is solid evidence in the favor of the remaining characters. Now, in regards to Meta Knight, not only is he part of this concept art, but the Halberd stage, a stage that is very closely tied to him, is returning. Add all that to a character who literally has no reason to be cut, and I think we have a character who's return is practically assured at this point.

Wario: Wario is another character who appeared in that concept art, which gives him a very strong case to return right off the bat. Couple that with the presence of the Ashley and Waluigi Assist Trophies, both of which have the Wario symbol, and Wario is a near guarantee.

Mr. Game&Watch: Again, another character who appeared in that concept art. There isn't exactly much else in terms of evidence, but I think this is enough to say he's safe.

Captain Falcon: Samurai Goroh returns as an Assist Trophy. I don't think there's any reason to doubt Captain Falcon now (not that there ever was).

Ice Climbers: The Polar Bears from Ice Climbers appear as enemies in Smash Run. Despite the Ice Climbers presenting some technical difficulties, I'm quite confident that those issues have been fixed and that they will return once again.

Ganondorf: Link and Zelda retain their Twilight Princess designs, despite Skyward Sword being the more recent game that is clearly being heavily referenced in Smash. This would indicate that Ganondorf, a character who did not appear in Skyward Sword, is returning, as otherwise there wouldn't be much reason to not update Link and Zelda to match their more recent appearance. (Thanks to @MorbidAltruism for pointing this out)

Jigglypuff: A rather interesting observation regarding the sleep mechanic in the game strongly suggests that Jigglypuff is returning. This observation is explained here, in better detail than I could provide. (Thanks to @True Blue Warrior for bringing this to my attention, and @LancerStaff for making the original post.)

At least one of either Ness or Lucas: There are Mother themed items present in the game. Unfortunately, this doesn't really tell us which one of Ness or Lucas is returning, but I do think it's evidence enough to show that at least one of them is. If it is only one, I would say it'd be Ness. However, I'm thinking both will be back regardless.

Saint Johns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HyperSlash
I made a post regarding this subject in the official character discussion thread, based on which characters had evidence within the game itself that supported their already likely returns. I believe just about every character on this list is practically a guarantee. I suppose I'll just copy it over to here.

Meta Knight
: This picture. I'm going to be referring to that one a lot, mind you. This is a bit of concept art Sakurai posted on twitter. Here, we can see a number of veterans who were previously in Smash, including ones that have yet to be confirmed. With the confirmation of Zero Suit Samus, probably the least likely to return out of all the characters on the concept art (that's not to say she was unlikely at all; just that she was the least likely in that group of very likely characters), I think the picture is solid evidence in the favor of the remaining characters. Now, in regards to Meta Knight, not only is he part of this concept art, but the Halberd stage, a stage that is very closely tied to him, is returning. Add all that to a character who literally has no reason to be cut, and I think we have a character who's return is practically assured at this point.

Wario: Wario is another character who appeared in that concept art, which gives him a very strong case to return right off the bat. Couple that with the presence of the Ashley and Waluigi Assist Trophies, both of which have the Wario symbol, and Wario is a near guarantee.

Mr. Game&Watch: Again, another character who appeared in that concept art. There isn't exactly much else in terms of evidence, but I think this is enough to say he's safe.

Captain Falcon: Samurai Goroh returns as an Assist Trophy. I don't think there's any reason to doubt Captain Falcon now (not that there ever was).

Ice Climbers: The Polar Bears from Ice Climbers appear as enemies in Smash Run. Despite the Ice Climbers presenting some technical difficulties, I'm quite confident that those issues have been fixed and that they will return once again.

Ganondorf: Link and Zelda retain their Twilight Princess designs, despite Skyward Sword being the more recent game that is clearly being heavily referenced in Smash. This would indicate that Ganondorf, a character who did not appear in Skyward Sword, is returning, as otherwise there wouldn't be much reason to not update Link and Zelda to match their more recent appearance. (Thanks to @MorbidAltruism for pointing this out)

Jigglypuff: A rather interesting observation regarding the sleep mechanic in the game strongly suggests that Jigglypuff is returning. This observation is explained here, in better detail than I could provide. (Thanks to @True Blue Warrior for bringing this to my attention, and @LancerStaff for making the original post.)

At least one of either Ness or Lucas: There are Mother themed items present in the game. Unfortunately, this doesn't really tell us which one of Ness or Lucas is returning, but I do think it's evidence enough to show that at least one of them is. If it is only one, I would say it'd be Ness. However, I'm thinking both will be back regardless.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Laughing hard at the fact ROB has barely above 50% confidence, despite being a lock.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Ness, C. Falcon, Meta Knight, Ganon, Wario, Jigglypuff, Falco and G&W are definitely guaranteed. ICs and R.O.B are extremely likely too. Snake, Mewtwo, Wolf and Lucas are borderline. Squirtle and Ivysaur are almost certainly out. The rest of the cut Melee gang don't stand a chance imo.

Palutena and Pac-Man are shoe-ins as far as newcomers go, with Chrom being extremely likely too.
Honestly each day, im starting to see Pac-Man and Palutena less likely. In the Pac-Man case if we dont see him in E3, that would be the end.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd personally consider Young Link more unlikely than Pichu but ah well. Can't see either of them coming back though.

I can see almost everyone from Brawl returning except Squirtle and Ivysaur (Snake depending if he shows up at E3 or not, else I won't be too sure on him either...)

I hope Mewtwo comes back.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that everyone from Brawl will return except for Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Snake... and none of the Melee cuts will return... not even Mewtwo is guaranteed. IMO

Cpt.

Smash Lord
The only non-obvious one I chose was wolf. There is no reason to cut a villain who isn't even a semi-clone.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Laughing hard at the fact ROB has barely above 50% confidence, despite being a lock.
I agree.

And to those wondering what that arguable hint was, just compare the Balloon Fight stage with the Mario Bros stage in brawl and then think what R.O.B.s signature stage was in that game.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I agree.

And to those wondering what that arguable hint was, just compare the Balloon Fight stage with the Mario Bros stage in brawl and then think what R.O.B.s signature stage was in that game.
I think all the Retros are likely to return. R.O.B. is just the least popular.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
I only voted R.O.B. And I can't change my answer.

He will be the 31st and FINAL character.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I will find the troll that didn't vote Cpt.Falcon.
I've actually met someone who initially assumed Falcon would be cut in the new one.

Anyway, I think a couple of brawl veterans will be cut, but I do hope that there aren't that many. Sakurai seemed to try to make a point that "not everyone from Brawl will be returning" although maybe he only meant Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I've actually met someone who initially assumed Falcon would be cut in the new one.

Anyway, I think a couple of brawl veterans will be cut, but I do hope that there aren't that many. Sakurai seemed to try to make a point that "not everyone from Brawl will be returning" although maybe he only meant Squirtle and Ivysaur.
Cut Snake, we don't need nor really want him. Nice to see Sakurai has friends but seriously now: who in their right mind thinks he represents a Nintendo game that so many other characters have to uphold to be included in? If we're seeing people like Waluigi, Lyn or Dillon getting the shaft because they don't stand out enough, Snake may as well take a seat next to Pichu & Young Link.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Cut Snake, we don't need nor really want him. Nice to see Sakurai has friends but seriously now: who in their right mind thinks he represents a Nintendo game that so many other characters have to uphold to be included in? If we're seeing people like Waluigi, Lyn or Dillon getting the shaft because they don't stand out enough, Snake may as well take a seat next to Pichu & Young Link.
Speak for yourself; plenty of people myself included like having Snake in the game. I mean if we're going by who deserves to be in the game, we should have characters like Toad and Tom Nook in the game as well.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Speak for yourself; plenty of people myself included like having Snake in the game. I mean if we're going by who deserves to be in the game, we should have characters like Toad and Tom Nook in the game as well.
Hey, that's what he said when he was asked about Third Party characters. Who is also to say we shouldn't have Toad or Tom Nook in the game over Snake? Yes he played well, but he really was out of place in comparison to other more qualified TP characters that deserve to be in.

1.) Sonic
2.) Mega Man
3.) Bomberman
4.) Banjo
5.) Geno

The last two are a stretch, but deserve to be on the list solely because they should be first party

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
More votes for Falco than Wolf?

Interesting.
That's a surprise? Falco's got a game up on Wolf and the competitive scene's in love with him.

Even as a Wolf main, I rest with the knowledge(assumed) that he's as dead as disco.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't see why people even question Wolf returning.
The only ones IMO in danger of not returning are Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake. And I want Sake to return.
Mewtwo's probably back, and Roy's got a good shot at returning.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That's a surprise? Falco's got a game up on Wolf and the competitive scene's in love with him.

Even as a Wolf main, I rest with the knowledge(assumed) that he's as dead as disco.
Like how people had the knowledge/assumption that Ike was gonna be replaced by Chrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom