• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the Best Marth right now?(Mew2King excluded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beat!

Smash Master
Well, I don't think they'd be able to just whip out a pocket Marth they've never practiced seriously with and win nationals, but if they made an active switch to Marth and put down a serious effort with him, then sure. That's exactly what I'm saying.

I mean, PP himself recently stated that he's going to start using Marth as an actual tournament secondary, so you should be able to get a definite answer to that question eventually.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Well, I don't think they'd be able to just whip out a pocket Marth they've never practiced seriously with and win nationals, but if they made an active switch to Marth and put down a serious effort with him, then sure. That's exactly what I'm saying.

I mean, PP himself recently stated that he's going to start using Marth as an actual tournament secondary, so you should be able to get a definite answer to that question eventually.
Pockets =/= Winning with Marth. If you have to switch to Falco to beat someone you couldn't beat with Marth then what's the point? It's like M2K being the best marth(yeah I can see how you can say that) But if he didn't go Fox against Hbox or Armada it's likely would have had some 2-0 or 3-0 sets. Is it a coincidence that long time play Marth's all switch out? What do Ice, M2K, Cactaur have in common? FOX!

Beat!

Smash Master
Wait, what? Did you even read my post?

Like seriously, I said that they WOULDN'T win with a pocket Marth, but if they SWITCHED MAINS to Marth and started using Marth seriously, then they WOULD probably do just as well as now.

Like, nothing of what you just said has anything at all to do with what I said.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Wait, what? Did you even read my post?

Like seriously, I said that they WOULDN'T win with a pocket Marth, but if they SWITCHED MAINS to Marth and started using Marth seriously, then they WOULD probably do just as well as now.

Like, nothing of what you just said has anything at all to do with what I said.
I was talking about when you said.

PP himself recently stated that he's going to start using Marth as an actual tournament secondary, so you should be able to get a definite answer to that question eventually.
So I was wondering how that was going to give me a definite answer if he isn't going all Marth?

Beat!

Smash Master
... because it will be a great example of a top player performing in tournament with Marth? My only point was that it would support my position, not that it would prove beyond all doubt that Marth is the best character ever.

I will concede that "definite" may have been a poor word choice, but the point still stands.

Using your logic, Falco isn't tournament viable, because Mango uses Fox for some matchups, and PP is picking up Marth.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
... because it will be a great example of a top player performing in tournament with Marth? My only point was that it would support my position, not that it would prove beyond all doubt that Marth is the best character ever.

Using your logic, Falco isn't tournament viable, because Mango uses Fox for some matchups, and PP is picking up Marth.
That is not even a funny version of "my logic" because it's not correct. Better example would've been Axe and his Falco alt. Axe uses Pikachu and he uses Falco sometimes. He like most good Marths has come very close to the top without winning. Not to mention the fact that he uses Pikachu who's a low tier and it would make me seem as though I am comparing Marth to a low tier.

but you missed the boat.

OverLord

Smash Ace
Sorry Spam but actually if you say that someone has to go Marth only and win to prove Marth is still good, then you can't say that Beat is wrong when he does a comparison to Mango/PP switches.

Ice sometimes switches, but if I recall right, he ***** BEAST loser's bracket Marth only. Wasn't it enough to prove Marth still good?

It seems not 'cause you'll probably say something like "EU sucks do it in USA".

So what's the point in arguing..?

M2K placed mostly top 4 when going Marth-only, Ice places top 3 in EU, and I'd bet my *** PP would just do as well as his Falco with Marth at any national.

Marth is a good character, and even if he's not, who ****ing cares..?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
IIT: Good to great players come around and drop knowledge, suggest that Marth mains continue to play to improve.

spam_arrows stays in his cubby hole of johns, doubt and "if only we had Mango/PP/Armada/M2K who cared!"

create one. you have the technology.

man the **** up and play.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I don't even play all Marth anymore honestly. There is a lack of frustration when it comes to playing other characters who can shoot people. Even against Doc and Spamus I get tired of swatting at their projectiles. I just think saying Marth can win a National if someone swaps all the way to Grandfinals and manages to win the final game with Marth it would be like saying young link can win a national. :troll:

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Reading spam's posts is very irritating at times. It's a real turn-off, even though there are morsels of truth in what you say.

We should start a new thread: "Maximizing Marth's Metagame: What Could Be Improved and What's Not Working".

:phone:

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I see. I was thinking of something a bit more coherent, like working together to compile an organized list.

And more match-up specific stuff would be good, I think.

For example, when you get grabbed by Falcon at 40%, which way should you DI? What are the Falcon's options depending on your DI?

Or: Falco hits your shield with an overshot nair. Should you try to attack out of shield? Specific responses to other character's tactics is what I mean.

Niko45

Smash Master
Despite all the vague generalizations about metagames and talented players playing Marth and somehow Armada's Peach (relevance?), Marth actually has a bunch of real, specific problems that I don't know if he has actual answers for going forward. Once all the flaming subsides it might make for a decent discussion so I'll keep that on hold.

Top players are talented players but their character is much more intertwined to their success than a lot of people realize imo.

Marth gets a bonus for people not knowing how to fight him? wtf? The new breed doesn't have that much marth experience and maybe once in a while you run into somebody who DIs everything wrong and panics once grabbed and yea, that's free, but that's only gonna happen at mid level anyway against players you can beat anyway, not to mention that for every one of those there are 10 players who tell me "marth is easy," "I love fighting marth," etc.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Reading spam's posts is very irritating at times. It's a real turn-off, even though there are morsels of truth in what you say.

We should start a new thread: "Maximizing Marth's Metagame: What Could Be Improved and What's Not Working".

:phone:
I've been trying to get this closed for pages now, btw if you were trying to hurt my feelings it worked :(

I think spam should stop posting and make more combo videos.
alright fine. I'll finish the 3rd Legacy video(s). I'll make another personal video. I'll post it but After that Legacy Stops until...someone actually lives up to it. (Meaning someone places 1st with Marth at a big tournament). Could be you...could be me :). I am great after all.

@Niko why can you see it, I see it, Mew2King can see it, I can see it Cactuar can see it....then a BUNCH of people just don't see it....if I say it...I'm johning or whining...*shrugs*

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I've been trying to get this closed for pages now, btw if you were trying to hurt my feelings it worked :(
Sorry to hurt your feelings, dude. I'm just not sure you know how to express your opinion pleasantly online.

Just because I feel like it:

There are generally two ways that a quarrel can occur.
1. Premissory instability. Person A and Person B argue because they they don't agree on the facts. Eg. on whether Marth's grab range is longer than Roy's.
2. Conclusional instability. Person A and Person B argue because, though they may agree on the facts, they disagree as to the significance of those facts-- what the facts imply. Eg. on whether Marth's having a longer grab range fundamentally makes Marth better.

When having an extended disagreement with someone, it is a good idea to find out which one of these is causing the problem.

[/PHIL 120]

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Despite all the vague generalizations about metagames and talented players playing Marth and somehow Armada's Peach (relevance?), Marth actually has a bunch of real, specific problems that I don't know if he has actual answers for going forward. Once all the flaming subsides it might make for a decent discussion so I'll keep that on hold.

Top players are talented players but their character is much more intertwined to their success than a lot of people realize imo.

Marth gets a bonus for people not knowing how to fight him? wtf? The new breed doesn't have that much marth experience and maybe once in a while you run into somebody who DIs everything wrong and panics once grabbed and yea, that's free, but that's only gonna happen at mid level anyway against players you can beat anyway, not to mention that for every one of those there are 10 players who tell me "marth is easy," "I love fighting marth," etc.
Interested in hearing what you have to say, as always.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I don't really think this is true at all. With the exception of some players (like hbox maybe?) I would reckon that what character the Top players use barely matters in terms of their overall performance.

Sure they all have "mains" but I would be willing to bet mango/armada/pp/m2k would all still place top 5 if they used another character. Not some random pocket DK of course, I mean like PP's Marth would do just as well in tourny as his Falco (for example)

This is evidenced in the fact that m2k has like 3 characters, and does it really matter if mango picks fox or falco? Probably not.
I guess what I'm saying is that the current top echelon of players would still be the best even if they happened to pick other characters than their current "main"

Also, yea, please tell us what marth's problems are, we all wanna hear.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
m2ks marth would not place nearly as high as his sheik imo unless he got all foxes.
i do not think pps marth is on the same level as his falco.
i think m2k's marth would place about as well as his sheik. who would his marth lose to that his sheik wouldn't? i'm pretty sure m2k's marth would still beat all CF players.

and of course peepee's marth isn't on the same level as his falco. he's been a dedicated falco player for like, 4 years.

i don't think character choice is really that intertwined into the success of top players. character mastery is a very big part, yes, but i don't think the actual potential of characters changes things too much.

then again, i'm no top player, and i'm from arizona.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i left out axe's pikachu cuz i didn't want to sound biased

i'm not sure if m2k's marth would lose to the better falcos if he worked on the MU more and didn't have sheik

Niko45

Smash Master
I think some great examples of why top players characters matter are players like Axe and Kage. Imo very very talented players, have proven themselves capable of placing incredibly high in big tournaments, but appear vulnerable to inconsistent results. You can attribute this to whatever you like, but ultimately I think their character selections plays a huge role here. When you are going up against difficult matchups round after round and are forced to be on your absolute A game for the entire tournament obviously it is much harder than if you can get by some rounds by just "doing fox stuff" or whatever. Plus there is just some straight up luck involved in playing those characters, as if they happen to be asked by the bracket gods to beat the top 3 sheiks consecutively, for example, it's just not their day.

I think people's general perceptions of top level play are pretty idealistic a lot of the time and feel like the players are operating completely independently of the characters but the game is not just about being good at melee in a general sense, it's about that plus being really good at exploiting your character's particular advantages and broken-ness. Characters really really matter imo, especially when looking at long term results.

Still working on organizing a post about Marth's issues and how we can solve them.

Sure they all have "mains" but I would be willing to bet mango/armada/pp/m2k would all still place top 5 if they used another character. Not some random pocket DK of course, I mean like PP's Marth would do just as well in tourny as his Falco (for example)
Just want to point out that while I don't agree with this at all, by this logic PP being potentially successful with Marth would prove nothing about Marth, since it's just about players and not about character.

And I think you'd definitely find some random holes in m2k's Marth if he really were to absolutely solo him over the course of a few big tournaments (Marth and Sheik happen to have a relatively similar matchup spread in general so it isn't the best comparison anyway).

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Sorry to hurt your feelings, dude. I'm just not sure you know how to express your opinion pleasantly online.

Just because I feel like it:

There are generally two ways that a quarrel can occur.
1. Premissory instability. Person A and Person B argue because they they don't agree on the facts. Eg. on whether Marth's grab range is longer than Roy's.
2. Conclusional instability. Person A and Person B argue because, though they may agree on the facts, they disagree as to the significance of those facts-- what the facts imply. Eg. on whether Marth's having a longer grab range fundamentally makes Marth better.

When having an extended disagreement with someone, it is a good idea to find out which one of these is causing the problem.

[/PHIL 120]
It's ok *sob sob* :(

@ Niko you are much better at online communications than me. Then again I didn't have a Cell phone until I was an adult. I didn't even have a house phone most of my life(various reasons). I'm only good at person to person Communication as a result I guess....

I think in some was player success is...exaggerated. Mastery over Kirby won't win you a tournament. It will win you respect but not a major event. Even if skillwise that person was at the same level or higher than Armada and Mango the character's limits are too drastic.

Marth isn't NEARLY as bad off. However Mango's Mastery over Fox/Falco allows him to beat KirbyKaze. I don't think his Marth would 3-0 KK. It is possible he could get 3-0'd himself much like he did against Jman when using Marth.

I'm not being a douchebag but I think the game as it goes forward Marth's are going to have to become alot gayer in certain MU's. vs Puff for example. I explored this in some friendlies I played against Hbox and...well it's boring but if you Get a % lead and you play very safe and Campy you can do very well getting 1 hit at a time and doing safe trades. The clock my run out though but timing retreat aerials OoS and playing like a F@G you can take control of that MU.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I don't really think this is true at all. With the exception of some players (like hbox maybe?) I would reckon that what character the Top players use barely matters in terms of their overall performance.

This is evidenced in the fact that m2k has like 3 characters, and does it really matter if mango picks fox or falco? Probably not.
I guess what I'm saying is that the current top echelon of players would still be the best even if they happened to pick other characters than their current "main"

Also, yea, please tell us what marth's problems are, we all wanna hear.
Hbox is a great example of Niko's point. Also a question: if it doesn't matter what the top guys pick then why does M2K stress so much about playing wobbles, fly or any other solid IC. I mean the reason he changes is to gain character matchups that supplements his style/strengths in a particular matchup. On the contrary I think M2K disproves your point.

While I value players that can change like m2k, tec0, Vanz and the like as higher than perhaps the ranks of a hungrybox, hax, etc I do think that there comes a certain level execution and specialty with maining only one character that I admire. I mean I respect both schools but I've always seen more prosperity in my personal growth with an ability to play multiple chars.

Jonas

Smash Champion
so you if you flip a coin 4 times in a row, 100 times. The odds of you beating PP,Mango,Armada, and Hbox with Marth only. would be the amount of times that coin hit heads all 4 times.
So in a 50/50 matchup, your odds of beating anyone your level is 1/16?
Besides the fact that matchup ratios have nothing to do with probablity, what are the odds of an equally skilled opponent beating you in an even matchup then? 15/16?

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I think some great examples of why top players characters matter are players like Axe and Kage. Imo very very talented players, have proven themselves capable of placing incredibly high in big tournaments, but appear vulnerable to inconsistent results. You can attribute this to whatever you like, but ultimately I think their character selections plays a huge role here. When you are going up against difficult matchups round after round and are forced to be on your absolute A game for the entire tournament obviously it is much harder than if you can get by some rounds by just "doing fox stuff" or whatever. Plus there is just some straight up luck involved in playing those characters, as if they happen to be asked by the bracket gods to beat the top 3 sheiks consecutively, for example, it's just not their day.

I think people's general perceptions of top level play are pretty idealistic a lot of the time and feel like the players are operating completely independently of the characters but the game is not just about being good at melee in a general sense, it's about that plus being really good at exploiting your character's particular advantages and broken-ness. Characters really really matter imo, especially when looking at long term results.

Still working on organizing a post about Marth's issues and how we can solve them.

Just want to point out that while I don't agree with this at all, by this logic PP being potentially successful with Marth would prove nothing about Marth, since it's just about players and not about character.

And I think you'd definitely find some random holes in m2k's Marth if he really were to absolutely solo him over the course of a few big tournaments (Marth and Sheik happen to have a relatively similar matchup spread in general so it isn't the best comparison anyway).
Exactly.

Btw I'm waiting on that post

Niko45

Smash Master
Problems with Marth

Alright first off, I doubt everyone will agree with all of this, and I'm not trying to say these problems are necessarily unique to Marth, but all in all I think they add up to create a pretty serious up hill battle for him in trying to solo win a major tournament.
Anyways, this isn't really anything new. After every major that Marth doesn't do particularly well at there's always an outcry about Marth being bad or overrated or whatever, but while I think Marth has particular flaws that really hurt him, the bigger issue in Melee imo is that there has been a pretty significant paradigm shift over the last couple of years in what characters and strategies are truly viable for winning major tournaments.

First of all, **** the tier list. Listing characters linearly is very misleading because it indicates that all of the characters are playing the same game by the same rules and that just isn't necessarily the case. The fact that Jiggs and Sheik can be ranked side by side and that anyone can actually assess one being a smidge better than the other should indicate that it's completely bogus because one character is highly variable, one of the most if not THE most abstract, difficult characters to measure in the game (Jiggs, obviously). The other, sheik, is pretty much the most conventional straight forward character. You don't have to dig very deep to understand why sheik is good, her entire design is clearly built for efficient damage racking and killing - winning, if you will.

However, sheik still plays within the boundaries of the game. She doesn't really have the proper tools to camp MOST characters to time out, nor does she have overwhelmingly good offensive tools for getting the hits she needs to perform her great punishes. She is the best character of these types of characters, who have to find some sort of middle ground between offense and defense in order to compete, not gifted enough at one extreme or the other.

These characters are every character that isn't Jiggs, Peach, Fox or Falco. In addition, all of these other characters (for the most part...IC's are another outlier character that I don't quite know what to make of yet) are the characters Sheik particularly tends to thrive on beating, and it artificially bulks her up on the tier list because she is quite out matched against the top 4 characters. I don't think Sheik can win a national either.

What does this have to do with Marth? Well Marth is very similar to Sheik I think, though sort of directly inferior in a lot of ways, and better in a couple of ways. Marth's mobility and having guaranteed grab combos on Fox, for example, makes him better equipped for beating Fox, but in the vast majority of matchups, sheik is the one with the guaranteed grab combos and her lack of mobility is not as apparent against non-Fox characters. Sheik is also oddly not that good at corner pressuring imo, as if you are standing near the ledge under a side platform and sheik stands in the middle of the stage, she isn't actually that threatening because her extended range consists of running at you with either a dash attack or grab, or just standing needles. With no platform to do tricky stuff on or use needles practically she is kind of naked and it seems like a bit of an odd flaw but for whatever reason if you don't play scared with your back to the ledge you might find sheik to be not that scary. Marth's stage control isn't much more practical, though...

Stage Control

A lot of people say Marth has great stage command and controls space amazingly but really, he's quite mediocre at it in comparison to what he's up against. The formula for great stage control is to completely own the space you occupy and then to extend pressure into the space in front of you in some way. So for Falco, dair/nair/shine/utilt all very very strong close range moves that require literally minimum frame advantage to land and to top it off, all of these easily lead into big damage and potentially a stock. Very threatening. With that established, he then uses lasers to pressure forward and simultaneously harrass whatever advantageous spacing you might be trying to set up against him. Jiggs and Peach have similarly amazing tools for this. Jiggs particularly is basically camping you very severely initially to stuff any type of offensive approach you might try and once he gets you to start camping her back then he starts inching forward with those bairs and taking stage away from you until he has cornered you, which ends very poorly for the opponent.

But at least Falco will be very vulnerable if he actually gets hit, where as Peach and Puff live forever and are generally not very afraid of being off stage, therefore making their camping absolutely legitimate as a strategy. This also affords them to take more risk (if they want), because the risk-reward in spacing wars is constantly skewed in their favor. Peach would love to trade with Marth all day long. The pressure is on Marth to space perfectly, not her, as if he doesn't he will get the poor end of the trade and also it will be more costly for him as he is severely vulnerable whenever he is forced out of position or off stage. He also sucks at close range, and I mean absolutely sucks. His sword is completely CCable at that range and his jab is horribly slow for practical jab use. He basically has grab, which any character has to begin with. For example, rolling into Marth can actually legitimately **** him if you let it, so this is something you have to guard against actively in order to not get *****, where as the good characters punish rolls pretty freely on reaction with fast moves that just dominate at close range. Another damning aspect of his stage control is that he just...doesn't have much control. He doesn't have any tools that force approaches like a competent projectile, but he doesn't have great offensive tools for pushing the pace either. He's constantly forced to space around what his opponent is doing, which sucks because spacing is his only solid universal advantage but when he's forced to space defensively constantly he's vulnerable to every character's tricks for forcing misspacing (and every character has them and competent players will execute them). Marth is also lacking in CC options defensively. CC grabs are amazing if you can get them but while his grab range is great for a grab, it's still not as ranged as, say, Fox's dtilt, or some similarly quick move that pretty much all other competitive characters have to defend themselves adequately in that situation. Even with Marth at 0%, Fox's back air can still outspace a Marth cc grab if done properly.

Glass Cannon, but where's the Cannon?

I want to focus on the "Glass" part first. I mean, spacies will always argue that the balance to their character is how harshly they are punished, and they are punished quite harshly, but Marth is right there in line behind them man. I think it is really common for people to overlook just how completely boned this character is off stage. Absolutely among the easiest to edgeguard and easiest to gimp in the game. It isn't just the direct combos that are so punishing - they're pretty bad but not the worst - but the sheer fact that he sucks at combo breaking, sucks at close range, sucks when lofted above people trying to get back on the ground. He becomes a complete punching bag in these spots. If you give spacies any daylight in a combo they will shine you and completely flip the momentum. Peach will dsmash you. Instant momentum shifts are amazing. Marth is just hoping you will let him escape so that he can try to start all. over. again. Nothing comes cheap for him. He just wants you to give him an opportunity...to have another opportunity. This is really a massive disadvantage. He's also really screwed coming off the ledge. No actionable invincibility really hurts a character that is so vulnerable offstage. I mean yea, Peach doesn't have that either but Peach lives double what Marth does on the regular (and also has semi viable on-stage recovering options, where as Marth recovering to the stage is basically conceding getting hit again and only does it when forced to). Tons of characters exploit the crap out of Marth getting off the ledge, and against someone like Armada just forget it, he's not letting you back up.

And yea, where's the cannon? His punish game is extremely fragmented in comparison to any character going down the list to even mid tiers. Spacies, I got it, he's competent there, but everywhere else his punish game is consisting of hard read after hard read. I don't think some people really properly value guaranteed-ness in melee, as when things are not guaranteed in melee you instantly jump from 0 to somewhere between 4 and 8 options in most scenarios. In the long run this leads to massive inconsistency in his punish game. You will be fishing for kills, at times, in absolutely all matchups while your opponents kill you methodically and routinely stock after stock. In some matchups like Peach/Puff/Samus you KNOW going in you will be fishing for kills basically every stock. I understand that all characters at times have to fish for kills, but the better characters can generally fish with something pretty safe (though nothing is completely safe), like spacies' bair. Marth finishers like utilt and fsmash are extremely laggy and punishable in comparison, making him very vulnerable when trying to get kills. I know every Marth has been in that situation where they start off a match losing the first stock despite doing a lot of damage to the opponent, then coming back and fishing for that kill only to get opened up on the next stock before that kill actually comes. Worst feeling in the ****ing world.

And don't get me started on playing from behind with Marth. If you're down 2 stocks to peach or jiggs you can go ahead and unplug your controller. He's not built for comebacks. He's extremely vulnerable to conservative attrition-based play, which lots of characters can launch right into very effectively once they get leads on Marth. Spacies, on the contrary, are the offensively gifted characters in the game and while they can be played extremely gay and campy if they themselves have leads, if they happen to fall behind they can dig in their bag of tech skill and find ways to bring it back. This ultimately is what makes spacies the best characters imo, as they are capable of running away and even timing out a ton of characters if they really wanted to, while simultaneously being capable of actually approaching and **** stocking for come backs if they are necessary. Most spacie players play spacies because they want to be able to play offensively, though, so time out spacies have not yet become much of an issue (though if there were more money in the game and more majors, sponsorship, etc I think it would definitely become pretty common).

Outgunned by Spacies

I think right now as of this moment Marth has very decent matchups with Fox and Falco (though Falco is much much more difficult if they know what they're doing). Going forward, though, I don't see much upside or innovation really for Marth where as the rate at which Fox tech skill is starting to take off, I think it's very likely that he will eventually fall behind against them. I don't think either of them can truly camp Marth to death but I think offensively they will just overwhelm him, exploit him once out of position, and destroy him off stage. As they get better control over their shield pressuring tools Marth will lose more and more of those pressure exchanges, as well as spacies that take advantage of ALL recovery options available will live longer, be gimped less, and Marth will just not be able to keep up. Abusing ledge invincibility severely hurts Marth's ability to pin the spacies down as they get off the ledge. There is nothing you can do about this but concede space and continue to play defensively. Sorta sums up Marth in the metagame, constantly giving up ground. Marth innovation: Space....harder?

Lack of Pressure

The top characters are all quite good at shield pressure in their own ways and manage to be pretty safe and destructive in doing so. Sheik also has pretty good pressure, though still not nearly as safe or effective as the better characters'. Good shield pressure allows you to forgo things like whiffing grabs to well timed sidestepping, which Marth has to deal with constantly (Vudujin told me at Apex: "Marth loses to sidestepping") and this is one of the major reasons that bad characters can still give him tons of problems. If you have a fox nair that lasts long time and has a shine following it up you're not even going to bother with sidestepping (making getting grabs even easier!) but the lack of actual safe shield pressure for marth throws off the balance of things here. Most of Marth's "pressure" ends up coming from standing and waiting, hoping you will get scared and sidestep early. This works sometimes, especially on people who suck against Marth, and don't realize that while he stands there doing nothing you could go right into your own offensive pressure (just ****ing hit him). Marth has to wait for sidesteps cause he has no other really strong ways to punish it. The real point is, while it's cool that Marth can just stand there and scare some people into doing things like sidestepping or rolling for no apparent reason you have to actually hit their shield to ensure that what you're doing is safe and then also be able to punish the options you have now limited them to by forcing them in shield. Better players all understand this and will often go on the offensive if you get caught staring at their shield for too long. The best type of Marth shield pressure I've been able to come up with was cross up nairing past someone's shield. This will cover a sidestep and also land you relatively safely behind them which you can then continue pressure with a side B or turn around grab or dash away hoping to bait something out from them. It works okay but it takes more conditioning than traditional shield pressuring tools do, and, like standing and waiting, you can get called out for it and attacked early before you get it off.

Ratio of Hitbox Duration:Total Lag of Move

Extending upon this point of why sidestepping is so problematic for Marth (and by consequence, the vulnerability of waiting for sidesteps), none of his hitboxes stay out for more than about 1/3 of a second. I've already talked about nair on shield, though it is vulnerable between hits and the duration of the individual hits is still very short, but generally speaking your timing needs to be pristine. Everything lags, everything is punishable. Your "control" from neutral position is extremely fragile (and as covered, your stock is pretty fragile after that fails). It's extremely underrated to have a lasting hitbox, even if only for having a MIXUP (and in the case of the spacies' nair/dair, hit confirming into huge damage is pretty cool). Jiggs has this with nair (amazing move), Peach with dair. Sheik has her nair (amazing move). In fact, lots of bad characters even manage to have one of these. Why nothing for Marth?

Marth as a Whole

-Basically the bottom line is your advantage here is the potential to outspace other characters with range and disjointedness. Problem is that even though Marth is disjointed EVERYWHERE most good characters have one or two very good, ranged, disjointed moves that can be exploited to compete with Marth (at least force trades, which are almost universally good against Marth). He's also extremely vulnerable to projectiles disrupting his spacing.

-Grab game is great for control on non-FFers, horrifying for actually punishing or killing things. Grabs have elevated risk because you are vulnerable to the constant sidestep/wait for sidestep scenario, but imo you won't poke your way to victory against Peach and Samus so you need to get good at landing them regardless of the consequences. There is no way to be very safe here, just have to have godlike intuition.

-Big stages vs small stages: Extra mobility advantage on big stages is great, but comes at a price as getting kills will be even harder than it already is. Marth is very laggy and vulnerable to characters with better offense (fox/falco) and better stage control tools (Jiggs/Peach) on smaller stages. Kills will come easier, though. Tough call, personally I prefer big (or at least battlefield size).

-Tight battles with low/mid/high tiers. Again, all you can do is outspace. Marth's punish sucks on most of these characters and most of their punishes are fantastic on him. When sweating these out, you'll be wishing you played sheik.

-Amazing air to air game. Probably the best in the game. Exploit this advantage whenever opponents are misplaying and going in the air unsafely voluntarily. Should also exploit up throw on floaties as much as possible since you can sometimes get a **** stock off stealing a DJ and maintaining complete air control til they are launched off stage.

-Must swing sword to protect himself, but is simultaneously completely vulnerable upon whiffing. The stakes are high and the low payoff of landing a retreat fair on a floaty doesn't seem justified.

-Crappy CC game against good spacing (grab just not long/quick enough)

-Admittedly he is one of the more competent characters among the "mere mortal" tier that I would describe as anything outside of Fox/Falco/Jiggs/Peach/Sheik (Sheik is sorta stuck in the middle. Dominates the characters below but can't keep up with the characters above her imo). The problem is that there's a gap that I'm not sure can be closed between characters that play like Marth and those that play like Jiggs or Falco. Whether he is outgunned offensively or defensively he just doesn't hang and doesn't even really have solid answers imo. Then on top of that, he's still gotta worry about Sheik and Falcon who give him all the trouble he can handle, and the matchups below them are too close to just be Marth and win, you need pretty extensive experience against those characters to play them competently....much better to just be sheik and do sheik stuff and not worry about that.

As negative as this all sounds, I just want to discuss it and get people's ideas on what can be done better. I sorta only focused on negative stuff for the most part and I acknowledge that, I'm sure someone pro-Marth will fill in the positives I overlooked or understated.

Beat!

Smash Master
That was an extremely well-written post. You should know by now that I have a more optimistic view of Marth than you, but that was some really good ****.

I'll probably make a more in-depth response tomorrow, but I'll drop a few questions for now:
-Is a heavy combo/punishment game necessary against floaties? Is it completely unrealistic to believe that refining the "keep them in a bad position" strategy could cut it?

-What do you make of PP's Apex friendlies against Armada? Actually, any general thoughts on his Marth would be interesting.

-Do you feel that Marth players today have already explored the following aspects completely (or almost), and that they are pretty much optimized?:
Edgeguarding
Powershielding
Counter
Finishing with up-B/reverse up-B (this includes tech chasing after throws)

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Niko that was an excellent post and if it gets lost in this garbage thread for years without being added to some sticky I will be very sad. I have never seen such an eloquent breakdown of Marth's major weaknesses (there are quite a few you left out too! Marth's lack of coverage between tipper range and wavedash dtilt, his lack of a good hitbox out of his jump to protect him a la Falcon's nair, his difficulties punishing opponents that land on stage, etc). The sidestep point is probably the most salient; one of the things I do to introduce new Marths to their character is spotdodge straight through their approaching aerials and punish.

Knowing your weaknesses is just as important as knowing your strengths...and Marth definitely has some glaring weaknesses. However, though I agree with every single one of the points you brought up...I disagree strongly with your conclusion. I think that Marth's weaknesses are damning but so are every other character's. There is not a single character in the game that you couldn't make a similar post about. Jiggs, Fox, Falco, and Sheik all have ENORMOUS holes and I think the fact that Marth is the character whose holes come out most after he gets hit is actually to his advantage; I do not think there is a better character in the standard neutral game.

I might make a pro-Marth argument when I come home to elaborate because I think both sides of the coin should be examined...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom