• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think is the most balanced character?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Who do you think has weaknesses that trully offset his/her strengths? Or is the genuine jack-of-all-trades? For the criteria of my thread the balance has to be by design and independent of the tier list.

Think of it this way, if you could rebalance Brawl at will, who would you not modify at all?

I currently don't have an opinion so far, one of the main reasons I created this thread.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Well, Mario and Luigi are balanced for the most part. Peach is too, but I would've made her mid-air jump higher.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Pokemon Trainer. Oh wait, that's versatile. Mario's the most balanced.

Flayl

Smash Hero
For those that are saying Mario is the most balanced, do you think that for brawl to be completely balanced all of the characters better than Mario should be toned down?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Mario.
Sub-par recovery, decent smashes, decent aerials, mediocre aerial speed, but great specials.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
yeah Mario is like smack bang in the middle
Fox could be used but I think his UpSmash has too mcuh vertical knockback -.-
Lucario maybe? but his range is partly ridiculous. and aura sphere spammers are annoying, while Mario and Fox aren't the case.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Nah, not Lucario.
Keep in mind he's pathetic at the start, but he only becomes stronger. At 160%, he can KO at ridiculous percents. Mario has everything.

That's why everyone should main him. :)

Project D

Smash Journeyman
I'm testing Mario as my secondary (testing) is that good enough? lol
what about Marth? I'm not entirely sure, but not exactly easy to master, decent damage, range, recovery.

Nicole

Smash Champion
apparently it's mario but i don't know if i buy that.

besides the CG's, I might vote Pikachu.

actually, ROB seems really balanced to me, except for his insane recovery.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
With emphasis on supposed. Why does he have sub-par recovery and overall poor reach when on everything else he is the average joe?
What he lacks in recovery and range, he makes up for with the best gimping game short of Meta Knight.

shmo395

Smash Cadet
Mario is above middle if you ask me, the cape is AMAZING, his spam is also VERY annoying if the opponent plays it right, + his spin grab is just cool :) and yes, that meteor is just BEAST

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Nah, not Lucario.
Keep in mind he's pathetic at the start, but he only becomes stronger. At 160%, he can KO at ridiculous percents. Mario has everything.

That's why everyone should main him. :)
Mario is the ****. Straked can you help teach him to me?

Then I'll have 2 beasty Mario teachers.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Bowser.

Hes just sorta
like that

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If you take away the fact that Bowser gets ledge/infinited and all that gay stuff I also believe that Bowser is a balanced character.

Flayl

Smash Hero
No, he is where he is because of design flaws. He is weaker and vertically lighter than Snake, which makes no sense. He has a pretty hard time returning to the ground, his tilts lag more than they should and his throws suck. He has his plusses, but they do not compensate for those weaknesses, except for throwing which is compensated by grab releases.

edit: The comparison for Snake holds up for a lot of the heavyweights btw.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well not everything in Brawl makes sense, but then again it's a game so what do you expect.

I thought we were talking about the most balanced, not the character that would most belong in the real world.

Besides to be balanced you need to have weaknesses right? Otherwise you're just MK.

I really do believe that he is the most balanced character but this is just me, and it's really hard to find a median between 36 characters without having to refer to the faulty tier list.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Well not everything in Brawl makes sense, but then again it's a game so what do you expect.

I thought we were talking about the most balanced, not the character that would most belong in the real world.
I didn't bring up real world anywhere. It doesn't make sense in any way to have a character that doesn't use explosives and is a heavyweight to have A attacks that are weaker than the explosive's guy. Yes Snake is poorly balanced that way, but Bowser is also weaker than DK, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Game and Watch, etc.

Besides to be balanced you need to have weaknesses right? Otherwise you're just MK.
You need to have strengths that make up for those weaknesses, and Bowser doesn't have them, not enough I mean.

I really do believe that he is the most balanced character but this is just me, and it's really hard to find a median between 36 characters without having to refer to the faulty tier list.
We'll agree to disagree.

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
I personally think Pikachu would have been the most balanced had it not for the discovery of his crazy chaingrabs. However, due to that, I would say that Wolf is the most balanced (watch people all flame me).

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
These seven characters have the most "neutral" or a slight disadvantage/advantage match-ups overall.

The average number against the top 6 characters with these characters:
Lucas - 38.3
Bowser - 38.3
Mario - 38.3 (I summed Mario's match-up with Marth to 40.)
Sonic - 38.3
Ness - Since Ness's top 6 match-up isn't completed, I can't do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be 38.3 as well.
PT - 40
Ike - 36.6

With a bit of differentiating I found a lot of same results. Now, I don't know how to use these results to determine the most balanced character, heck I don't even know why I did this, I was just really bored. Make whatever you want out of this.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Melee Falcon could beat the best but still lose to lower tier characters, making him feel pretty balanced.
If we suddenly had Melee Falcon in Brawl, I'm not sure where he would sit.
In any case, I think Brawl's metagame has to develop more before any one of those seven characters (or maybe someone else) can claim to be called balanced.

Here's philosophical notion - how can something be clearly balanced amongst that which is clearly unbalanced and vice-versa? :ohwell:

Ha ha ha... but seriously.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
It's supposed to be Mario but trust me, in actual practice it's not really him... I'd make a case for Ike but even if I play him decently I only play him from time to time so I think I'll stay away from that one haha.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I didn't bring up real world anywhere. It doesn't make sense in any way to have a character that doesn't use explosives and is a heavyweight to have A attacks that are weaker than the explosive's guy. Yes Snake is poorly balanced that way, but Bowser is also weaker than DK, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Game and Watch, etc.

You need to have strengths that make up for those weaknesses, and Bowser doesn't have them, not enough I mean.

We'll agree to disagree.
First you whine about Snake being heavier than Bowser vertically, than you complain about Ganon being stronger.

To begin, Bowser is the heaviest horizontally, and the fourth heaviest vertically. So what if he's lighter than Snake vertically? He's the 2nd fastest out of the four heaviest characters. That says something. You don't hear us Ganon mains complaining about him being ligther than Snake, both vertically and horizontally, slower than all the characters who're heavier than him (in the air as well), and to top it off AS heavy as Falcon.

Ganon may be stronger overall, but Bowser could put his strength to better use. For example - Faster, less laggier attacks (Jab, Dtilt, Utilt).

Seriously, Bowser mains shouldn't be the one complaining.

Flayl

Smash Hero
... I'm not complaining, I'm saying Bowser is not the most balanced character, he is below average, and then I explained why he is below average. Stating facts is not whining.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Why are people saying Mario he is low tier @_@

I would say Fox, fast has some kill moves, hes not broken and not terrible he can be gimped, but his recovery isn't bad

Top Bottom