• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

when you were a noob

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
how did you see smash? what were you johns, ideas and theories?

Mine, as a noob.

How I found melee. I was with my bestest friend ever and he showed me ssb and talked about captain falcon and played 1player mode once and beat master hand. I bought ssbm/ melee holder without knowing the games name, but I never forgot that game when I got melee like 3 years later.

OMG I unlocked ________ I was amazed by every last detail of the game in everyway, everything was perfect in design from looks to sounds feeling of the controllers. I played by myself for like 2 years after like one year of playing I discovered vs mode.... You can bet your sweet *** that blew my mind. I figured out there were smashs and quickly trained to master them all. unlike like most noobs when they first picked up smash I didn't really spam f-tilt , I used that, d-tilt and b moves even if they didn't always work. I quickly discover ice climbers dash attack to upair and down smash ***** the world. at first I believed sheilding was pointless because you should attack and beat them before you sheild, LOL.

Like everyone esle I never could sweetspot nor saw a reason to. I thought falcon/fox/falco were a bunch of gays and link was broken. After like 2 years of playing like a few months I started playing with my brother mike, and he got SOOOOOOOOO mad about puff(my 2nd) rolling behind him and f-smashing him I ***** them and then I saw chu dat videos, I was just wanting to know how he did the edge hops forever trying to figure it out I saw gimpyfish and thought bowser was uber fast with his down-B cancels it looked lighting fast.

overall the chu dat videos depressed me and send me into a stage of I suck ***. Never really inspired as much as they made me feel, bad.

I figure out how you did wavedashes and couldn't really do them and it took forever to master(2 years in total) I heard of brlaw when watching youtube poop and got uber hyped for it and possibled I would always stay with ssbm no matter what.

played brawl I couldn't help but B**** every detail I saw was was worse by a mile the ice climbers spamy down-smash was gone, my favorite stages were gone, I unlocked everything without trying in like 3 days, when melee I was still trying to get the last stages on ssbm with. puff felt terrible and no fun. It's like the soul of the game was sucked out and I just felt limited and the items were even more broken then anything else.

less than a month of getting headaches from brlaw I quit it. I worked on wavedashing again. I tryed to SHFFL. I started to quickly get better and my brother was mad because he had won most of the time in brlaw with metaknight. So he slowly got better. ANd johned a lot so I when pichu which I liked because how awesome he was when I unlocked him. Pichu came nautely to me.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I only played Melee when I was like 9. Items on, spamming down B with Kirby. Picked up Brawl a few years later, same basic ****, except I was spamming arrows with Pit. Items still on.

Then I saw the wombo combo, and became enthralled with the competitive community. Picked up Melee again, this time in a somewhat competitive manner. So cash.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i played game n watch when i was a n00b.

i couldnt even nair for like 2 days.

now look at me, dropzoning shyguys? ****. ive come a long way.

(LOL)

ru5514n

Smash Ace
When I was a noob all I did was spam Up-smash with Fox. I didn't even learn to recover for like the first two months after I started playing, lol.

Geist

Smash Master
I played a few years of 64. When melee came out I got it the day it was released. I remember playing with a bunch of friends and competing to see who was the best.I stopped playing with items when I was like 10 years old lol
I played casually until my friends and I finally found the competitive scene in like mid 07. I went to my first tourney knowing absolutely nothing about advanced play.

Before I got into it competitively, I was awfuly close to discovering some techniques by myself. I knew about float cancelling with peach a short time after it came out, and I remember jumping and air dodging straight down right after as a scrubby form of faking someone out.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
When I was a noob, I used to think Mario was the best in the game because of his cape. I also thought Falco was pretty broken. I also remember thinking that wavedashing was gay because I viewed it as an exploted glitch.

Good times, gooood times.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
when i was a n00b i played with my friends.. free for alls with items on.. 5 stocks. i mained falco and fox.. and always though falcon was a piece of **** character. learned how to side tilt to fair people with sheik so i started maining her.. lol. then like a year befor the release of brawl i noticed the competitive community... dont really remember how..

Zone

Smash Champion
When I was a noob I thought the following:

Items were gay.

Big blue was gay.

I also thought Zelda was boring. (Go figure)

Samus and sheik were top tier.

I thought edgeguarding/edgehogging was cheap.

I thought spiking was cool(Even though it's technically edgeguarding)

I watched pro matches and thought "I can beat them"

Went to a tournament a few months later for the first time. I got 4 stocked by a guy who got 4 stocked by chaddd, who in turn I believe once got 4stocked by Chudat. Thus learned I was actually really bad at this game.

I also remember being in teams tourney(Still first tourney). And Me and my friend beat a 5 year old and his dad. And we cheered with sweet victory, and the kid asked his dad in a sad voice right after that
"Did we lose daddy?"
"Not yet son we play one more"
"What if we lose again does that mean we're the biggest losers?"
That's all I heard of that. Felt pretty bad/ Pretty sad I was excited over a win on them lol.

EDIT: it's kinda like beating your little sister in a arm wrestling match.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Went to a tournament a few months later for the first time. I got 4 stocked by a guy who got 4 stocked by chaddd, who in turn I believe once got 4stocked by Chudat.
I went down a theoretical chain of logic like this after I was Taj JV 5 some dude. I assumed that the dude who got JV 5'd could easily 4 stock me. Then I saw Taj get 4 stocked my SS. Then I saw SS get 4 stock'd by Mango. I was a sad panda.

Realizing how awful you are is humbling :[

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
we are all different levels of noobs, mango can't powersheild half of the stuff that flys at him. and love it because in melee there is no limit.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
when i was a noob i only played on corneria. all other maps were irrelevent.

shoutouts to Sector Z in ssb64

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Dash attack Bair with Kirby was like the metagame in my little group.

And walk away D-smash. And Sheik's Dash Attack Nair.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
hahaha yeah JPOBS pretty much covered it. thats excactly what it was like here.

and our metagame was downthrow shine since everyone used fox or falco.
falcon metagame was falcon punch

...oh.. and a big part of our metagame was standing close enough to someone with peach to throw turnips at them then istantly regrab them and keep throwing... that **** was ****.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Considering I've been playing for a little over 6 months now, I think I've gotten very far in such a short time.

Freshmen year(last year) I was introduced to the game @ the Video Game Club at my school. Leaving Freshmen year, I was third best and played Marth. I knew how to WD after practicing for a day and did that and spammed f-smash. I knew about smashboards from an old game forum I was on, GunzFactor, but I never joined or even lurked. I just looked around. I guess I started off knowledgeable. First day of Sophomore year, I was the best. practiced over the summer and then basically stopped. Found SWF again and registered, posted in the CT thread and since then I've only been to three tourneys. Having gone to Pound 4 definitely sped up my process of becoming good.
-
From 2002, when I first had the game everyone used Fox / Falco / Samus / Mewtwo because of projectiles. I only remember playing on Brinstar for some reason (short term memory?). Ah, the good ol' being 8 years old days.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
when I was little I walked in circles in our house at my moms for hours till it drove her crazy and she had to yell me me to stop wearing out the floor, so I would go play with legos till the lego finished their battle and I cleaned up the body count and started walking around the house again. Sometimes while playing pokemon. wish I had someone to play with then, maybe I wouldn't have walked around thinking so much.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I started on SSB. I use to beat all my friends at our FFA items! I was SO pro! or so I thought.
I used fox i think... used a lot of little brother lazers and i discovered upsmash is strong, so that too.
When I got a gamecube, melee was my second game, after luigi's mansion. I loved it so much! I used the internet to make sure I unlock everything, lol. I loved everything about the game. Believe it or not, I started out as bowser, because he was not in 64 and I loved mario games. I thought he was good. I remember doing dsmash to usmash on cpus and thinking I was SO good. I eventually picked up fox, because I saw 'Zero Mercy' by SuperDoodleMan. I tried to shinespike whenever i could, lol. I still wasn't aware of the competitiveness, though.
Whenever I invited my friends over, we always turned the items off. We still did FFAs though.
I got brawl the day it came out, like most people. Not being competitive/tourney*** yet, I thought it was amazing.
My friend introduced me to competitive melee in late 08. He showed me the tier lists, some professional matches, and teached me some tactics. We were getting competitive, but there was still work to be done. I was still using fox, and I wasn't very good. My wavedashes were sloppy, I died alot and I didn't combo much. waveshining seemed impossible.
I went through a few mains. I wanted to play sheik, cause I did so well with her. I soon realised she was just easy to use. Then I was using Marth, because I loved uptilting people that were on platforms. My friend stood by his choice of Falcon.
After using Falco a bit (only cause i could do some basic shine-dair combos and SHFFlazer, which I thought was amazing), I picked up Samus. I loved playing her. I loved getting any move I wanted out of a dtilt. I loved how powerful her dsmash was. I especially loved utilting to edgegaurd.
My wavedashing, l cancelling and overall speed was improving. Finally, in mid 09, I went to a tournament. There, me and my friend did pretty well in doubles as Falcon/Samus. I also won a set or two in singles. I thought I was getting good. I was half right.
I started playing the guys alot. I improved really quickly. Only 1 year after my first tournament, and I'm beating BC PR members and winning money matches. I developed my own aggressive samus style. I invented a couple combos I haven't seen anyone else do. Most importantly, though, I have more fun when playing at tourneys than anything else. And I will keep improving and having the time of my life.

Zodiac

Smash Master
When I was a noob, I thought ken was about as good as me. lucky him

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
when I was a noob, I first mained ice climbers cause there were 2 of them and I loved spamming smashes

me and my friends played everyday for 2 years with items on and playing on hyrule loads, there was a rivalry between me and my friend Dawit who used falcon and later to use falco. He was really really cocky and used to win nearly all the time, so much with falcon that he went falco "to be nice" LOL. All he was doing was rolling and f smashing, ocasisional d air for edgeguard (funnily he figured out how to short hop).

When I was playing I cant even remember what I was doing, but I remember going to luigi next and loving F air so much haha. "***** Slap"

Then later I went to maining jigglypuff and learnt to spam the **** out of the b air. That b air with no L cancelling was enough to beat everyone at my first smashfest and come 4th at my first UK tournament XDD then I learnt how to L cancel and use rest and I thought "why would I use rest, it's unsafe and sooo risky". Till the day I figured out its ridiculous and won a tournament rinsing the **** out of it XD Maining jigglypuff first gave me a great idea of spacing, mindgames and bull**** tactics such as shield spiking (whatever it's called) as a noob o_O so was a huge advantage against most players even though I didn't actually understand what I was doing (I still dont understand how to play jiggz anymore ;_; especially how I used to play her)

My friend dawit is still really cocky even though im best in the UK now it's hillarious. He's like "remember those times? IM THE BEST, YOU USED TO BEG ME TO COME SECOND PLACE" ROFL and its funny cause its kinda true

this is more funny tho, professor pro when he was a noob :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cph1qfEa3A

PROFESSOR SMASH XD

and this money match is hillarious too, one of the best old UK videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piaf...&p=240733EB5E909330&playnext_from=PL&index=19

smakis

Smash Ace
i started out with smash64, discovered online play and thought "man, no one can beat my link, i can take three lvl 9 cpus on my own!". Needless to say i got promptly *****.

Three years later, still playing n64 smash, found melee but didnt bother playing it since sweden has no smashscene (or so i thought), got a job, money and picked it up <3

Practiced all techs before i went to my first tourney (alliance in amsterdam, going big when it's your first time ftw), was one set from brackets, sad face.

F1SHY

Smash Apprentice
I thought I was uber pro, then started to watch combo videos and wondered how they did stuff so fast. I saw the Advanced Techniques videos and quickly tried to learn them. Then, when I saw tourney matches, I thought "they don't seem so great." Couple months after that, I got 3 stocked by DEHF. It completely inspired me to learn mindgames, since I mostly played CPU's.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I always used to play 64 with my older brother and his friends before Melee was released, I used Pikachu because he was the only one I knew of. When Melee came out, my brother unlocked all the characters and stages and I used to play against him, most often on Corneria with no items. Because I only had my brother to play against, my main goal was to get skilled enough to beat him consistently (he mains Marth). I started visiting Detstar.com's Melee section, and while I knew about competitive play and advanced techniques, I gave up on trying to learn them very quickly.

Eventually, the memory card became corrupted and we lost our save data. Since my bro had stopped playing the game, it was up to me to unlock everything again. This gave me a good taste of all of the different characters, stages and modes. I continued playing and went on the Melee section of the original NSider boards frequently, this was my first proper taste of competitive smash and a smash forum. So I continued practicing to beat my brother, still ignoring advanced techniques. At this point I was using Roy, Ness and Ice Climbers if I remember correctly.

When I moved school, I found that some of my classmates also played Melee/64. At this time I was eagerly awaiting Brawl as well, following the updates on the Dojo, debating about it on Nsider.com, creating character movesets, etc... When Brawl came out, I played it every now and then with my friends from school. We thought after a while "Hey, we should try out Melee again". So we did, and then we were hooked. I finally decided to learn advanced techniques, how to use my character's properly and I signed up for an account here (I got banned from Nsider for someone hacking my account). We still played Brawl, but Melee became a lot more competitive for us. Eventually I was skilled enough, with the help of the community here and practising with my friends to beat my brother and fulfill a childhood dream. I still remember and recognise Melee as the game that got me interested in games, and if I didn't have that driving motivation to overthrow my brother's position as Melee King of the family, I probably wouldn't be typing this now.

[/awardwinningstory]

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I didn't even know wtf a smash attack was until a friend showed me.

D

Deleted member

I started playing Smash when SSB64 came out, but i can't really remember much except i hated items a lot and played as Yoshi and Kirby, lol.
When i was a noob in Melee (although then again i still am a noob, lol), i thought grabs were useless because of their lack of range, lol. As Kirby i mostly used his dash attack, down b, up b, uptilt, fsmash, ftilt, and nair. As Pichu i mostly used tjolt, fsmash, usmash, and jabs. I liked items off, but items seem more bearable in Melee. I really only played on Corneria, Great Bay, Battle Field, and FD, and my brother and i did 1v1s a lot, he would usually pick Marth, sometimes Kirby. I eventually ended up dropping Kirby altogether and now only main Pichu.

Animal

Smash Lord
all noobs think there the best in the world. i <3 noobs.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Well back when I was like 3-4, we, my dad, my brother, and I, got SSB64, and we'd play it a lot. I used Samus, and thought I was pro, but all I really did was spam her up-B lol.

Then at one point my best friend got Melee, and we played it often and thought we were really good and stuff (I used Roy back then. He was better than Marth because he had fire), then I moved a good ways away from that friend and we barely saw each other after that (this was probably in '03-'04ish).

And in '05-'06ish I made friends with these kids who played Melee a lot, and they were obviously pro at the game so I lost to them a lot. Then started looking up strategies and stuff and saw a Chu Dat match, and after that decided I wanted to play ICs. I couldn't L-cancel but I could wavedash... kinda, and could chain grab a bit.

So of course I ***** those pro friends of mine with ICs (their CG was cheap, though, so I wasn't allowed to do that).

Then Brawl came out, and I still didn't play competetively. I knew the names of some of the top players (like Ken, M2K, Chudat, Azen), but really didn't know much else.

I mained ROB, ICs (CGing was still cheap in Brawl, though, so I wasn't allowed to do that), and Jigglypuff, and was still the best of the group, but barely. I knew a little bit about the tier list, like how MK was the best and Snake was second, but I had no idea why MK was so good. Every time I tried to jab with MK I would always get punished, and his shuttle loop seemed so bad for recovery!

Then last year I found smashboards, made this account, and lurked for about a month and learned stuff about MK and mained MK. Of course I began to **** the group I smashed with hard due to knowing the basics of playing MK (basically I used lots and lots of FAir and down smash), so I didn't go on smashboards again.

Then around September of last year, I met up with that friend of mine who I hadn't seen really at all since '04-'05ish, and it turned out he had been to a few Brawl tournaments and had an account here, and I began to hang out with him and play him more, and then around that time I went to my first tournament with him (it was a Brawl tourney, and I played ICs instead of MK, because I realized my MK was crap, and while my ICs were crap, I could atleast infinite people lol), and got hooked on competetive smash after that (both Brawl and Melee).

Pi

Smash Hero
Honestly I don't remember the transition from FFA Items to No items Fox only Final Destination.

I don't remember buying the game, or my reasons for it.

My farthest back memory of being competitive with the game was holding a like 6 person smash tourney at my house and winning 20$.

My next tournament was to be at Gigabits, where we got thrashed, and I got inspired.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
I got Melee on release week, and played it casually for years. In '06 I found out there was actually a competitive community for it, and came here and learned all about tiers and tourney***s and wavedashing and stuff. Everyone said Fox was the best, but I was convinced Jigglypuff was far more broken. THAT'S RIGHT M2K, I WAS HERE FIRST. I played Kirby as a legacy to SSB64, then later switched to Jiggs.

I stopped playing when Brawl came out, but quickly realized Brawl was far too floaty and slow-paced for my tastes. I really got into competitive Melee this January, when I brought an old GC with a broken 4th port to my dorm in order to play Wind Waker and happened to bring Melee along. I qiuckly learned how to wavedash and thought it was the coolest thing in the world, so naturally I picked up Luigi. My college has a semiweekly tournament that I only went to twice last year, but I'll be taken much better advantage of it moving on.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
I got Melee on release week, and played it casually for years. In '06 I found out there was actually a competitive community for it, and came here and learned all about tiers and tourney***s and wavedashing and stuff. Everyone said Fox was the best, but I was convinced Jigglypuff was far more broken. THAT'S RIGHT M2K, I WAS HERE FIRST. I played Kirby as a legacy to SSB64, then later switched to Jiggs.

I stopped playing when Brawl came out, but quickly realized Brawl was far too floaty and slow-paced for my tastes. I really got into competitive Melee this January, when I brought an old GC with a broken 4th port to my dorm in order to play Wind Waker and happened to bring Melee along. I qiuckly learned how to wavedash and thought it was the coolest thing in the world, so naturally I picked up Luigi. My college has a semiweekly tournament that I only went to twice last year, but I'll be taken much better advantage of it moving on.
yeah show up to some more Purdue tournaments ya nub!! XD

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
my theory was putting every char into their own teir
speed, strength, control, range and if you mastered a char in each one you would be perfect at playing mario or doc. fox was speed, bowser was strength, ness was control, range link, you get the idea.
Then me and my buddy looked up cheats for melee on google and i learned about shffling and wavedashing in 2006.

this changed my world in an disney sorta way, i flew on a carpet and had a prince sing to me. and a priest had aboner

Signia

Smash Lord
I just about jizzed my nine-year-old pants when I saw the upcoming Super Smash Bros. 64 in a Nintendo Power magazine at a Target. When it came out, of course all my friends got it before us. I played it at their houses and went so far as to impose on a kid's birthday party(I didn't even like him, he invited my bro, who used the party as an opportunity to steal his Venusaur card, and the next school day the kid told the teacher on him. The party was not a school event.) just so I could play it all night. I never touched single player and played only free for all with items on.

When we finally got the game I played it with my two brothers constantly, ffa, with one choice each for items, usually pokeballs, bombs, and shells. We were very competitive, having "around the world" marathons, cycling through every character and then every stage. We still play, whenever the three of us are home visiting.

RIP Hyrule 64

Top Bottom