• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When Melee was new

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I didn't keep track of the competitive scene when Melee came out, so I can't attest to this.

But when it was just released, I predict that there was a similar number of people whining about their beloved techs and characters getting changed, buffed, nerfed, w/e. Heck, I might even go as far as to say people thought the game was slow and uninteresting.

With that in mind, I really can't see why so many people are so sure that this game will be a slow, non-competitive, short life-span game.

Does anyone have videos of pro's from like, the first few months that Melee was out? I think if more people saw how much slower and different the game was when it was just released and no one knew what the hell they were doing, a lot of people would quit with the whining.

User33

Smash Journeyman
Well 64 didn't really have many advanced techniques, and I'm pretty sure they were all doable in Melee :D

Although I agree with this thread.

Lithos

Smash Cadet
I was gonna link to that vid Koopa, lol.

That match just goes to show that the metagame takes time to advance. Brawl will definitely evolve, but not anytime soon.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I thought this thread was exactly like the billion others, but this one actually has a point to it. That video is full of win.

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
I was gonna link to that vid Koopa, lol.

That match just goes to show that the metagame takes time to advance. Brawl will definitely evolve, but not anytime soon.
I agree.

I posted a video you were going to link to, and you posted what I would have said in response. XD

lol.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
It's fun to imagine it'll change things.

And hey, it's neat to see a match that doesn't involve the characters having a seizure as they bounce around trying to "psych" each other out!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I have to admit, when I gave Melee a spin for the first time, I HATED IT. I complained that it was too fast, the characters were too heavy, and the game was overall lame.

However, after owning and playing the game for so long, I take EVERYTHING back.

I'm pretty sure many are worried how Brawl works. I say there should be nothing to worry about when it comes to competitive Brawl.

Also, just looking at that video of 2002 Gameplay...

That's just proof that pro gameplay takes time to evolve. Please people, give Brawl a fighting chance. Dumping it now is like a metaphorical abortion.

Little Red Corvette

Smash Apprentice
Is it bad of me to enjoy the way that 2002 Final went? It's just more exciting for me to watch personally than a more modern pro match.

CO18

Smash Hero
Great thread man, people need to stop Sh*tting in their pants because they think the metagame is gonna be so much worse.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
It's crazy how far Melee came, but Brawl will reach its hights quicker because the competative scene is so much larger and there's faster/better internet and video capture. But even if all advanced techs every where discovered today, it'd still take a while for people to get used to them and use/defend them succesfully.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
It's kind of funny how much more people whine about a game before it's out, opposed to after it's out.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm fine until we discover glitches that replace little things like "running" and "walking".

garrR

Smash Apprentice
It's crazy how far Melee came, but Brawl will reach its hights quicker because the competative scene is so much larger and there's faster/better internet and video capture. But even if all advanced techs every where discovered today, it'd still take a while for people to get used to them and use/defend them succesfully.
quote for truth.

i think what hindered learning melee was the inconvenience associated with obtaining videos. i remember how excited i was when i first got direct connect to work and downloaded a ton of videos. with the ease of youtube today, we can expect the brawl metagame to develop faster relative to melee.

but yeah, this thread is one of the most rational threads in the brawl forum so far. a metagame takes time. there's no other substitute.

people are angry because they feel threatened by having to learn a new game and not being "good" anymore. if you were truly good at melee, you'll be good at brawl given some time.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
When Melee was new, I was like "Ooo! New characters! New stages! New graphics! New modes!" And since it was 500% better than SSB, I was content with that.

Top Bottom