• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's Your Preferred Controller For Smash Wii U?

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I have and from what I can tell you atm, it is good. It works just like a GameCube controller (Although I feel like there's a bit of lag if you sit away from the wii u from a distance).
How good do the shoulder buttons feel compared to the GC's shoulder triggers? Also, does it feel as weighted as the 1st party GC controllers?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I use a Yoshi Wired Fight Pad. It's my preferred controller for anything I can get away with using it on, not just Smash. What can I say? I thought the GC controller had a good layout.

My only problem with it is L and R being mapped to the wrong buttons, and even that's just a minor inconvenience with this game.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I go back and fourth between Gamecube and WiiU Pro controller. Both of them feel really, really good!
I really like the Wireless-ness of the WiiU Pro controller just a biiit more, though. It's just more convenient to me~

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
How good do the shoulder buttons feel compared to the GC's shoulder triggers? Also, does it feel as weighted as the 1st party GC controllers?
First and foremost, I have sadly had not tried out the first party remotes yet. Excuse me for only offering how the shoulder buttons feel and work.

The shoulder buttons are a bit odd.
Before I get into that, you kinda have two Z triggers instead of one when using the pdp/hori above the shoulder buttons. I think the reason why these manufacturers put an extra button like that because it taking the input of the classic controller. Other than that, the shoulder buttons are bit larger than older models of the GameCube and a feel little bit cheaper. As a result of this, every time I press down on it these shoulder buttons, it feels a bit harder than the GameCube's shoulder buttons.

However, I feel like this is a suitable replacement for smashers until Nintendo restocks the GameCube adapters.

(On the flip side, these things are becoming a bit low on stock that I was forced to buy a peach pdp fight pad. :rotfl:)

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
Right now I'm going with a third-party Afterglow Wii U Pro Controller.
Only changes to it is the L and ZL will be set to grab while R and ZR will be set to shield and roll.

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
Using the Wii classic controller. I sure do love my down b's facing left 90% of the time for no reason and messing up angled recoveries.

The adapters can't come fast enough.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
I would use a GameCube controller, if I had an adapter. The Gamepad works fine for the time being.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I have GC adapter #16/20, so yeah, I'm putting it to good use

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
Wii U Pro Controller, will try GameCube once I get the adapter.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
First and foremost, I have sadly had not tried out the first party remotes yet. Excuse me for only offering how the shoulder buttons feel and work.

The shoulder buttons are a bit odd.
Before I get into that, you kinda have two Z triggers instead of one when using the pdp/hori above the shoulder buttons. I think the reason why these manufacturers put an extra button like that because it taking the input of the classic controller. Other than that, the shoulder buttons are bit larger than older models of the GameCube and a feel little bit cheaper. As a result of this, every time I press down on it these shoulder buttons, it feels a bit harder than the GameCube's shoulder buttons.

However, I feel like this is a suitable replacement for smashers until Nintendo restocks the GameCube adapters.

(On the flip side, these things are becoming a bit low on stock that I was forced to buy a peach pdp fight pad. :rotfl:)
I'm definitely not complaining about the double-Z triggers. I'm happy to be able to play Wonderful 101 and Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 with a GC controller, something I couldn't do with the Mayflash adapter that I already had due to both games' heavy use of ZL.

And low on stock is right. My folks could only find it out-of-state. It's a good thing we were on vacation anyway :p

TheBuddyAdrian

Smash Cadet
NNID
thebuddyadrian
Im torn between the wiimote and the wiimote and nunchuk. Im used to the wiimote from playing brawl that way but i also like the wiimote and nuchuk because it has more buttons but the proble with it is it sometimes cramps my hand. When i get a GC adapter maybe ill see if a gamecube controller would fit me.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Wii U Pro Controller, can't believe how comfy it is for smash, I'm beginning to like it more than the GC controller :O

Wii U gamepad is pretty bad, too big and clunky. Wiimote by itself is still the worst though!

Globe

I only care for waifus
Still the gamecube controller and will probably always be that.

Although if I have to play with another controller then it would be the wiimote and nun chuck. I don't know I just really like that combo.

ryanator008

Smash Cadet
I use the Gamepad most of the time, but when somebody else uses it a resort to either the Classic Controller Pro or Pro Controller.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Goldeneye Classic Controller Pro most of the time and Gamepad if someone's playing on something else.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
I use all of them except for wii remote sideways. my friend uses it sideways however and i can't figure out how he's so good with it.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'd probably be happiest with the Gamecube Controller but I am in no hurry to get the adapter. I have been using the GamePad and it works quite nicely once you switch the buttons for grab and shield.

Last edited:
Top Bottom