• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's Your Preferred Controller For Smash Wii U?

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Wii U Pro Controller for me primarily, although I do use the Gamepad from time to time.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I currently use and am in love with the Wii U Pro Controller.

But my Luigi Edition Hori Battle Pad is currently on its way in the mail so I'll probably be switching to that permanently.
I have a GameCube Adapter, a Pro Controller, a Classic Controller Pro, and a Luigi Hori Battle Pad. Shocker: My favorite is the Battle Pad. The others go unused.

In terms of my favorite it goes: Hori > Pro Controller > GameCube. The Gamepad ties with the Pro Controller

Last edited:

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
Also a little thing for the Hori Battle Pad owners.

Step 1: Set your TURBO function to 20 seconds on the A button.

Step 2: hold your marker over a character on the character selection screen.

Step 3: Hold the A button down.

Step 4: enjoy.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Also a little thing for the Hori Battle Pad owners.

Step 1: Set your TURBO function to 20 seconds on the A button.

Step 2: hold your marker over a character on the character selection screen.

Step 3: Hold the A button down.

Step 4: enjoy.
I hadn't thought of this, but now I'm going to do it at every Smash party.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I hadn't thought of this, but now I'm going to do it at every Smash party.
It's the funniest thing xD
I do it at my buddies house all the time.

I mean the turbo function serves no purpose for Smash. Other than Fox's gun I guess. But it's still awesome that the controller has it.

It's basically a way better GC controller.

Richtea007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Richtea87
3DS FC
0903-2753-0592
The Wii Pro Controller for me. I also use the GC controller too.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
It's the funniest thing xD
I do it at my buddies house all the time.

I mean the turbo function serves no purpose for Smash. Other than Fox's gun I guess. But it's still awesome that the controller has it.

It's basically a way better GC controller.
Agreed.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I use the gamepad mostly, unless the gamepad doesn't belong to me, in which case I use the classic controller pro. I use that one for Project M and enjoy it most. I don't understand what makes the Gamecube so much better, I friggin' hate those L and R buttons.
Why? I understand that digital shoulders have spoiled us in recent (really anything other than gamecube) years. Is that it? I find that it gives some more depth, at least in Melee, with the light shielding aspect of the game.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I use the GameCube controller though I might try out the Wii U Pro Controller.

Only times I use the GamePad is for during Off-TV Play.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Wow a lot of people like the Wii U Pro... maybe the over-sensitive sticks is just me then. I'll have to give it another try

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Pro Controller. I have the following button mapping.

A = Attack
Y = Special
B/L = Jump
ZL/X = Grab
ZR/R = Block

This control scheme does not translate well to a GCN controller. Not to mention I hate the GCN analog sticks. I'm not a big fan of the Pro Controller's sticks either, but I replaced them with DualShock 4 sticks and that works well for me.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Controller Tier List

God Tier
Gamecube Controller

High Tier
Wii U Pro Controller
Classic Controller Pro

Mid Tier
Wii U Gamepad

Low Tier

3DS
Wii Remote + Nunchuk

Bottom Tier
Wii Remote

Last edited:

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
Wii U Pro. Feels great for me to use, and I can also do Smash attacks, tilts, etc when I want them to be with the quick movement of my thumb onto the right stick. (Depends on how big your hands are.)

Also, I swapped the grab/shield buttons, since I didn't like how they were mapped. I knew the default grab/shield buttons in the final game weren't like this at the Best Buy Demo. Honestly, I feel that they should have kept that button mapping, because there have been some instances where I forget to change to my button config, which can be a huge problem in 9.0 runs, (Which happened to me twice today) and Crazy Orders runs, but thankfully, that's never happened to me.

Last edited:

Retrotator

Smash Cadet
The Wii U Gamepad is my favorite so far, but I want to use a different main controller so I won't wear the Gamepad out in the long run.

I'm still deciding on which other controller I like the best. So far, I'm deciding between the original Classic Controller (before the handles) and the PDP Fight Pad. I missed out on the GameCube adapter and I haven't tried the Wii U Pro Controller before.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wii U Gamepad and the Pro Controller. Could of been the Gamecube controller had Nintendo shipped a few more adapters to Britain, but as a result I'm learning to love the new controllers.

Although to be fair ANYTHING is better than the Wii motes and the 3DS for me.

FireOfExile

Smash Cadet
NNID
fireofexile
3DS FC
2363-5961-4897
I love the GamePad and 3DS controls. My 3DS shoulder buttons are both broken, though. Well, the L almost is. I set grab to Y and shield to X and I do the same for the GamePad.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
GC adapters are insanely priced right now... Like they're worth consoles right now. I guess for now I'll have to stick to the gamepad

xenodroid

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackruth
3DS FC
5086-2531-5646
All I've been using recently is the GC classic controller model. Nintendo said they're trying to restock GC adapters so I'll pick up one of those if I get the chance.

nova`

Smash Rookie
I've learned to love both the Wii U Gamepad and the Wii U Pro controllers. Having a full-out circle joystick as opposed to the octagon-shaped GCC controllers helps, and after getting pretty acclimated to the Pro and Gamepad button setup, the Cube controllers just don't feel as good anymore.

S3R4PH

Smash Rookie
The Wii U Pro Controller is superior to the Gamecube controller. Come on guys. That thing is over a decade old. I mean sure there is the nostalgia factor as result of it being used for competitive smash for so long, but the Wii U Pro Controller is much more refined and feels better, IMHO.

So... Wii U Pro Controller > GC Controller.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The Wii U Pro Controller is superior to the Gamecube controller. Come on guys. That thing is over a decade old.
Okay, first off.

I don't want to hear it.
Second, we use it because it's a comfortable controller, not because of nostalgia. The only thing that it lacks in functionality is a left trigger button.
Third, this thread isn't here to flame people who use the Gamecube controller or call names.

---

Anyway, I really don't like the controller options for Smash Wii U. That GamePad is an awkward brick of a controller. You know it's bad when I have more luck with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controls.

S3R4PH

Smash Rookie
Third, this thread isn't here to flame people who use the Gamecube controller or call names.
Where in my post did I call anyone names or flame? If you don't want to hear it, then ignore my post, don't misquote me.

Secondly, I'm aware of how good the PS2 Controller is for fighting games. I used it as my primary controller of choice when I attended MLG for Mortal Kombat. That still doesn't change the fact that it is older and subpar now to offerings available today (Subpar in feel/comfort to the PS4 controller...Not to mention I use a Hitbox now for those types of games).

I am just stating the opinion of the Wii U Pro Controller being superior in comfort and general aesthetics. This thread isn't to call people out, it is to discuss the preferred controller options for Smash.

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
I thought for sure i would be going back to the GC controller because i used it so much to play brawl somewhat competitively which made me very comfortable with it. But after not being able to get a GC adapter and being forced to use the wii u pro controller for 2 weeks, ive found that now, even with a GC adapter and having used a GC controller for the past few weeks, I actually prefer the pro and have switched back to it. One huge thing that i noticed was the GC controller was limiting my movement options with my specials and out of shield stuff. i keep tap jump off and all controls the same when using the GC controller, which means its pretty hard to do specials out of shield and in general jump while using specials, but with the Wii u pro, even with tap jump off, it feels so much more natural jumping using specials and doing specials out of shield.

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Right now it's the Pro Controller, but hopefully I'll be getting a GC Adapter or a Hori pad soon.

Last edited:

GalaxyWing

Ascension
NNID
SkaiSong
3DS FC
5086-2324-1353
I've never played Melee that much a while back but I could definitely see why the Gamecube Controller comes out on top in terms of preference among players. I use the Gamepad right now but I would switch to the GC controller in a heartbeat as soon as I get an adapter. It just feels right, lol. I dont like how the Wii U Pro Controller face buttons are below the analog stick instead of above, it just makes handling it look a bit disjointed. Though I've heard good things about it o:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I've never played Melee that much a while back but I could definitely see why the Gamecube Controller comes out on top in terms of preference among players. I use the Gamepad right now but I would switch to the GC controller in a heartbeat as soon as I get an adapter. It just feels right, lol. I dont like how the Wii U Pro Controller face buttons are below the analog stick instead of above, it just makes handling it look a bit disjointed. Though I've heard good things about it o:
It's definitely a good replacement for those that can't get a GC Adapter, but at the same time it costs $50 (enough for an adapter AND a GC controller or either of the big fight pads and a Wiimote) and feels a lot less weighted than the GC controller which almost makes it feel cheap. It does have amazing battery life, though, and looks really good with the Wii U Pro.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I haven't used the GC controller for a long time. And I'm still waiting for the GC adapters to restock. But until then, I find the pro controller the best replacement for It. Not permanently. But If you can't get your hands on a GC adapter I would suggest the pro controller. No Input lag whatsoever and great battery life.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I pretty much suck with anything other than the GC controller. I suck with the Pro but I wouldn't mind getting one for backup. I'm not even getting a Wii U til March, so here's hoping the adapters get restocked sometime in between now and then.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I used a Wii U Pro for like two weeks and recently got a Gamecube Adapter and controllers...

it's way better, the wii u pro and gamepad are fine but the Gamecube controllers just feel way better.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
In my humble opinion GC controllers are overrated. I mean it's nice, comfy and stuff okay, i'm used to GC controllers for Smash too since i played Melee and then Brawl with the same controller. But i think that's enough, Pro controller is really smooth, easy to hold, weight is just right. I think it's great, i already have 4 working GC controllers, but i'm not using them. Because i think Pro is just better.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I can go with 3 options.
1. GameCube controller. I've grew up from a GC and Melee was the game I would spend over hours and I still have my old GC controller that is 8 years old and works perfectly still.
2. Gamepad. I only have 2 GC controllers, my old one and the new smash controllers, I would be the 3rd person because those controllers are my only actual controllers that isn't a wiimote. (I also don't have classic controller pro... I haven't lived) I also recently used it when my family wanted to watch TV so...
3. 3ds. Now as a party of 4, I would let someone have the gamepad and the other 2 can use my GC controllers. I also don't want people touching my smash 3ds xl. I don't mind using a 3ds. I'm pretty much used to it anyway since I play smash 3ds a lot and I'm probably just as good with it as a GC controller (I have this thing where I seem to do better on handhelds than I do on home consoles).
I also have wiimotes but I must forbid using those. A party of 5 or more can use them for all I care.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I am using the new Smash GC controller with a 3rd party adapter out of a Wii Mote nun-chuck.

When the 2nd wave of GC adapters come out (I.E not £75+ anymore) I'll grab one of those as I want to be purely wired (I've always hated wireless controllers since I can feel even the slightest bit of lag or ghosting).

I had a bit of a nightmare, I'd been 3DS'ing Smash for a while, as my genius idea was to wait for Xmas for the Wii U (I bought the xbone for my bro, he bought the Wii U for me - for the past 15 years I've been used to "I want it I buy it" mentality so having to wait was a pain). On Xmas day the Wii Mote decided not to connect to the Wii U (it was a bit old) - was running around this morning, no stores stock Wii U stuff it seems (fustrating), so I a "i wonder if i try it again" last ditch effort before I went online and had to put up with a few more days of the Wii U ScreenPad - I thankfully got the WiiMote synced and got on the GC controller.

But I'd forgotten how much the C-Stick helps, lord its missed on the 3DS.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
After a quick scan of this thread I didn't see anyone say they use the battle pad. Has anyone used it? It looks like the L and R buttons might be an improvement over the gc controller.
I have and from what I can tell you atm, it is good. It works just like a GameCube controller (Although I feel like there's a bit of lag if you sit away from the wii u from a distance).

Top Bottom