• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's with all the spammers on online mode?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've only recently started online matches so I've only seen one spammer, a Kirby who was absolutely in love with his Stone move. He did get a few kills on me, once when I screwed up returning after an edgeguard and another when I got careless, but overall I was able to beat him soundly without any real effort. But no matter how often I punished him for it, he never did anything more complex than simply not using Stone sometimes.

I guess what I'm saying is that at least some spammers do so because it's literally the only tactic they know, and to be fair it probably works against similarly-(un)skilled players and low level CPUs. But I feel confident saying that any tactic which revolves around the repeated use of a single move can probably be worked around with any character, albeit with varying degrees of difficulty depending on the matchup.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Oh I have met some...

You'd think Nintendo would ban spamming a move for 10 times in a row....

They usually use Kirby to use his Rock move.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Wait someone actually faced a bowser jr? i havent even seen him yet since i unlocked him lol.
I've been playing him almost exclusively. He's actually got some nice tools for dealing with spammers. The Kart's got armor and the Mechakoopas can block a lot of projectiles. In particular they can plow through Villager's rockets like they're nothing.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
For me Bowser Jr. is actually REALLY hard to deal with because I hardly ever see him used so his skillset is largely a mystery to me =P

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Spammers are boring when you come across them. But they are punished. First the attacks deal less damage and secondly they could get banned. And lastly, they're kids who I beat pretty easily cause they're s predictable.

MattTheGameFreak

Smash Apprentice
Assuming you know their basic strategy, you can do the following, most of the time.

Range spammers... Run and shield, till you're in range. If they run, they can't spam you, assuming you pursue. A short-hop air dodge at a random interval while approaching may throw them off too.

Close-range spammers... Counter move, use a move with a similar or superior speed that out prioritizes their move, or perfect shield the hit(s) and attack, or dodge and attack at a point where they cannot get out of their attack animation in time to avoid your attack.

Overall a person who "spams" is predictable and Smash Bros. at a higher level depends a lot on being unpredictable. Predictable opponents will be defeated, most likely.

Personally I fought a semi-spammy Link earlier, and while he spammed me with projectiles, he took immense damage when I got close with run/shields, so much that he nearly went from 20 percent damage to KO, likely because he wasn't used to fighting close-range. When you truly bring it to spammers, most of the time they fall apart.

I haven't run into too many spammers online yet, and I don't really see myself losing too much to them.

xTeru

Smash Cadet
No problem with spammers, frustrating to fight them but you just have to play a bit patient and figure out how to counter them, once you did they will have to stop spamming or they're going to get rekt

D

Deleted member

I keep running into projectile spammers edge guarding

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
It's not that they pick random, it's that the question mark is shown to prevent YOU from knowing your OPPONENT'S character. This is done to prevent characters being chosen just to counter others.

Marth is great for spammers as his counter is fast and effective.
Oh yes, Marth is annoying as f*ck. I just had a match with a guy who NEVER attacked me. He just waited till I was in his range and eventually spammed with his counter move till I just used grabs&throws to beat him. That wasn't fun at all, it was so stupid and boring.

Yes, it is predictable and I could adapt to it, but this guy had also a very bad connection which caused a lag that prevented any precision in the match.

Last edited:

Dr. Giygas

Smash Rookie
I feel like more than a couple people in this thread should read up on general fighting game theory. I recommend Sirlin's guide "Playing to Win".

D

Deleted member

I feel like more than a couple people in this thread should read up on general fighting game theory. I recommend Sirlin's guide "Playing to Win".
We're talking about the annoying tactics people use to win. It's a legal play style, but it's annoying how people resort to spamming.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Oh I have met some...

You'd think Nintendo would ban spamming a move for 10 times in a row....

They usually use Kirby to use his Rock move.
Why would they ban them, that's a bizarre course of action for something that isn't even cheap.

If they're spamming, they're likely just mashing that button. If you know what you're doing punishing them shouldn't be that hard.

Dr. Giygas

Smash Rookie
"Doing one move or sequence over and over and over is a tactic close to my heart that often elicits the call of the scrub. This goes right to the heart of the matter: why can the scrub not defeat something so obvious and telegraphed as a single move done over and over? Is he such a poor player that he can’t counter that move? And if the move is, for whatever reason, extremely difficult to counter, then wouldn’t I be a fool for not using that move? The first step in becoming a top player is the realization that playing to win means doing whatever most increases your chances of winning. That is true by definition of playing to win. The game knows no rules of “honor” or of “cheapness.” The game only knows winning and losing." - Sirlin

Last edited:

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
I love Flare Blitz spammers so much.Like, it's an easy move to dodge, and they kill themselves so often. Then I pick Charizard and show them how it's done B)

Then again, I am playing in "For Fun", so spammers might be more common. So far I can recall Charizard-Flare Blitz, Lucina-Counter, Metaknight-Drill Rush, Mac-Jab, and C.Falcon-Falcon Kick spamming.

You know, it might be interesting if every character had a durability mechanic like Robin, where too much use of a special renders it literally useless

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
Didn't think too much of it (It IS for fun mode) but yeah. Kirby players with UpB, DownB, and DashA have been a common sight, I've fought a Wii Fit Trainer who used nothing but DownB + NeutralB, and SideSmash if anyone got near, and a SideB/UpB Charizard who ran from anyone under 80%.

Though I could probably deal with them better if the online wasn't so terrible in regards to the lag. But mostly I'm fighting opportunists who stay away from anyone who could pose an actual threat. It's almost insulting how someone would sacrifice the feel/rush of the game itself to score some cheap KOs. Then again, my standard for fun in this game is beating the stuffing outta people, not winning.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
i honestly don't care if you spam in four player matches or just for fun, but if it's a 1v1 you shouldn't be spamming it. you are just showing u have no skill to beat your opponent so u have to use cheap tactics to do the job.

Also, people saying that i am letting them do it and that i'm bad for not knowing how to stop it, it's not me. Robin is slow at running, he is very slow to get back on stage and is already vulnerable by the time he gets off the ledge and back on stage. it is impossible to dodge all of their spamming when he can not do anything about it when Robin's spells get negated by their spamming and Robin's approach is terrible without his spells. it's even worse when Robin is against fast characters like little mac/sheik/zero suit samus.
The point is to win
Did they win? Yes they did

Your argument honestly doesn't make a lot of sense. Blaming the character you're playing? Seems like you're just butthurt or something

Ian095

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eponian
3DS FC
0473-7759-5302
If you win spamming you're gonna do it I got wrecked because I was unable to counter/dodge a Ike who kept using Side B. Kind of embarrasing how small things can completely destroy me when I am usually quite good against Ike players.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
The point is to win
Did they win? Yes they did
Yes they do. And its easy to win against them once you know their whole pathetic patterns. But is it fun? Hell no! Smash gets interesting when you have to adjust to every changing situation you have in the fight. And that creates the whole depth in the gameplay. And that makes it a lot more fun (if only the spammers knew...)!

And no, you always HAVE to fight those people. Otherwise you get banned for leaving a game session. So yeah, there are always enough reasons to hate those players!

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yes they do. And its easy to win against them once you know their whole pathetic patterns. But is it fun? Hell no! Smash gets interesting when you have to adjust to every changing situation you have in the fight. And that creates the whole depth in the gameplay. And that makes it a lot more fun (if only the spammers knew...)!

And no, you always HAVE to fight those people. Otherwise you get banned for leaving a game session. So yeah, there are always enough reasons to hate those players!
I find it more fun to make them leave. Might as well inflate my pathetic W/L rate while I'm at it. :bee:

iTony030

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5215-0238-0507
If there's ANYTHING that I hate the most are those Bowser Jr.'s that spam B, Down B and FSmash on For Glory. I've never seen his other moves more than twice. For some reason, I just can't deal with them.

EpicFlyingTaco

Smash Cadet
I have a lot of trouble with duck hunt dog. But its probably just me not adapting and I should learn the matchup.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I've been fortunate in not encounter too many spammers online but when I do, it pisses me off to no end. And because it pisses me off so much, I lose my composure and become rather sloppy in my play style. Needless to say I hate spammers with a fiery passion. Thank goodness I've only been matched up with a couple so far. It could be much, MUCH worse.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've been fortunate in not encounter too many spammers online but when I do, it pisses me off to no end. And because it pisses me off so much, I lose my composure and become rather sloppy in my play style. Needless to say I hate spammers with a fiery passion. Thank goodness I've only been matched up with a couple so far. It could be much, MUCH worse.
I think in those moments you just gotta keep composed.

madBowers

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adamsrewob
3DS FC
1177-9203-9654
I think it would be awesome if Nintendo kept a count on the number of times a move is used during a match. If it exceeds a certain limit in relation to the number of times other moves were used then that person should be classified as a spammer. Then they should be put in matches with other spammers for a set amount of time. Spammers vs spammers.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I think it would be awesome if Nintendo kept a count on the number of times a move is used during a match. If it exceeds a certain limit in relation to the number of times other moves were used then that person should be classified as a spammer. Then they should be put in matches with other spammers for a set amount of time. Spammers vs spammers.
What? That'd be absolutely ridiculous.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I'm having some difficulty against people who spam Lucario's Down+B, since that appears right behind you even for mid-range attacks. Is it even possible to shield/dodge that move at all? Cuz it's a ridiculous counter move, especially when I'm trying to kill the guy and he's at high percentage.
EDIT: Forgot, I'm a Robin main
If you're not playing with sound on, DO! A lot of reads re done via audio cues, as the start of counter animations can feel somewhat camouflaged at times. Same goes for other attacks you may find yourself having trouble with.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If a move hits you every time, they will keep using that move. If you counter it, they will stop.

It's not like there's one unbeatable move in smash brothers. There are many ways to beat spammers.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I use every move with toon link in a game... but I admit, I use the arrows and boomerangs the most. Also I spin attack when they wave dash behind me and sometimes I will pretend to throw a boomerang and grab them.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If spamming really was cheap, they'd put a bigger prevention system in place. I will use every tool at my disposal until it doesn't work anymore. Putting arbitrary rules in place just makes you weak.
Well normally I just report and block them. Luckly I dont do 1 v 1 for Glory, I mostly do Team For Glory so I rarely see spammers but they are there

Top Bottom