• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's with all the spammers on online mode?

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Good god, Samus spammers are spawns of Hell.
It's her move to charge. It's her right. It needs to be used. I charge, too.

I charge in a respectable manner. I mainly get close for a fight. I charge when I can or when they are far away from me due to a Smash of mine or they went off on their own. That's decency. The spammers purposefully roll away JUST to keep charging. I roll if I have to, but not to be a scrub.

One thing I tell myself not to get mad at anymore and is totally understandable is Robin's Thoron. That's their move. Very RPG'ish. You gotta respect that. Samus scrubs, though... ugh.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
It's her move to charge. It's her right. It needs to be used. I charge, too.

I charge in a respectable manner. I mainly get close for a fight. I charge when I can or when they are far away from me due to a Smash of mine or they went off on their own. That's decency. The spammers purposefully roll away JUST to keep charging. I roll if I have to, but not to be a scrub.

One thing I tell myself not to get mad at anymore and is totally understandable is Robin's Thoron. That's their move. Very RPG'ish. You gotta respect that. Samus scrubs, though... ugh.
I have nothing against legit Samus players, but then there are those that just camp all day, and those are the ones that annoy me.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I have nothing against legit Samus players, but then there are those that just camp all day, and those are the ones that annoy me.
Yep. That's what I'm talkin' about. Same with DHD, although they're more meant to camp, but not ALL of the time.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Camping all day is legit. Sorry to break the news for you guys that think "going in" will get you wins. Didn't you know Nintendo is trying to remove that kind of strategy. :)

Look at patch 1.0.4

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
If they are literally just spamming one, or a few of their attacks, then that means there's no mix-up right? If you already know what they are going to do then the next step is figuring out which of your options win in those situations and just use those options until they start doing something else. You don't need to worry about what they could be doing until they actually show that they are willing to try it.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
Camping all day is legit. Sorry to break the news for you guys that think "going in" will get you wins. Didn't you know Nintendo is trying to remove that kind of strategy. :)

Look at patch 1.0.4
gr8 b8 m8 ir8 gamer.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
i honestly don't care if you spam in four player matches or just for fun, but if it's a 1v1 you shouldn't be spamming it. you are just showing u have no skill to beat your opponent so u have to use cheap tactics to do the job.

Also, people saying that i am letting them do it and that i'm bad for not knowing how to stop it, it's not me. Robin is slow at running, he is very slow to get back on stage and is already vulnerable by the time he gets off the ledge and back on stage. it is impossible to dodge all of their spamming when he can not do anything about it when Robin's spells get negated by their spamming and Robin's approach is terrible without his spells. it's even worse when Robin is against fast characters like little mac/sheik/zero suit samus.
Funny I had the same issues when fighting ZZS with Dark Pit, the person using her kept spamming her Down B every time I got close enough to hit her (and knowing my poor ability of reading foes (I have a bad habit of falling for certain moves), ZZS kept dodging my attacks with that move (and occasionally buried me 3 times with it).

The 2nd match was just as bad but a little bit more even (since I was using Lucario whom I was used to using during my Brawl days) going up against a Captain Falcon who kept trying to juggle spam me with his Side B (thank god a mini aura sphere broke up a few of them).

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996

Look at patch 1.0.4
Unfortunately, this is true. If you play a character that's constantly forced to approach, we Ganon mains feel for you.

It takes skill to play any character. A camper who doesn't mix anything up is easy enough to beat. But a skilled camper, as paradoxical as that sounds, will mix up their options and keep you guessing. Camping as a strategy does take some amount of skill, but not as much as playing a character who's forced to approach. Just mho.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029

Look at patch 1.0.4
Funny, the last time I dealt with a serious camper (who was playing Duck Hunt), I punished his evasive style with my Captain Falcon and had the last laugh when I meteored said camper off stage. TWICE. Oh the lulz that was had when I later watched the replay I had recorded! Sadly, this was before the new patch came out which for whatever reason renders replays from previous versions unwatchable!

tl;dr Nintendo isn't removing the option to go in and **** camper's **** up. My Falcon saw to it that gaming's oldest troll character didn't get in the last laugh! :)

Theta Zero

Smash Cadet
Campers and spammers only seem to stir up trouble on really basic stages, like omega forms or Yoshi's Island. The only problem is that if you're doing serious, 1v1 matches, those kinds of stages are what you'll be playing on the most. What I find that helps is just returning the favor in terms of defensive camping and spamming, but that normally makes battles devolve into a war of attrition.

Camping is genuinely a legitimate strategy. It's just a very bad strategy that isn't fun for any participating party, unless you're doing it as a joke.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Spammers may lack skill, but being unable to punish something that is used repetitively is unskilled in itself. Essentially, if something is used repetitively, you should expect it again and again. Know your options, and punish it.

Little Mac coming at you with dash attack? Shield it, and grab him.

Someone spamming projectiles at you? Approach with shield, jump over it, or while jumping come at him with an aerial while he has end lag. (if any)

Spamming roll? Take note of where he rolls, pressure him into a roll and punish him.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Good god, Samus spammers are spawns of Hell.
you know Samus Spammers remind me that villager actually has a good rushdown game. In all seriousness you can tell if a Samus is a spammer if she is not playing at mid range i swear her legs are as long as the Falchion.

TheBurningBadger

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChibiOfficial
3DS FC
4871-5711-3749
Don't you just hate it when your playing online in for Glory mode and your about to beat Someone so they start Spamming like crazy to win...

D

Deleted member 269706

That's all For Glory is. It seems like everyone on there is so caught up in the win/loss ratio that they are willing to do whatever it takes to win. No one is even playing the game like it's meant to be played, it's just a bunch of projectile campers and people who roll for more of the game than they spend standing. I swear, out of 10, 7 players tend to use ****ty tactics in hope of winning, 2 are brand new who barely know anything, and 1 is actually trying to better their play style.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I don't hate it because they don't win. They just make themselves 200% more predictable.

Connection is a factor of course, but in general it'll just make matters worse for them.

Last edited:

mustbepbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
mustbpbs
Couldn't agree more. The only thing worse than FG matches are laggy FG matches, especially 2v2, and especially more if you're playing with two players. The other team is either: the same spammy character, two FE characters who are counter spam happy, or one spam character (Toon Link especially) and a hard hitter like Ganondorf who comes to clean shop as you're stuck in projectile spam stuns.

I can't stand FG anymore and I'm too lazy to join a ladder site and orchestrate every game I want to play. I think I'll stick to offline matches. FG just ruins the whole experience. 1v1 is a mixed bag because sometimes you actually get a good opponent, but most of the time it's another spammy player who thinks they're awesome by using the same move over and over.

And before you blame me for falling for it every time, the input lag heavily favors them over me trying to spot dodge and perfect shield. So don't even.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I hate it when im happy being Marth, then some shmuck plays Robin Lucario or anyone who has projectiles, then IMMEDIATELY runs to the edge and rolls and quick throws me away, rinses then repeats. Like i wish i can be like @ Zatchiel Zatchiel where im too good to ever fall for that weak sheit, but I came to FIGHT,not chase you down back and forth on the stage. Then i'll change to Samus to shorten the match then the ****** leaves! Laughable!

Last edited:

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
Perfect shield better. Spam and camping isn't a thing anymore like it was in Brawl. I have no problem reading their easily predictable behavior patterns and just perfect shield it.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm going to admit to being in the majority here and say that I've come across very very few, if any, spammers online.

Most people I've encountered are pretty decent and fight to win fair and square. I admire that, I must admit.

mustbepbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
mustbpbs
Perfect shield better. Spam and camping isn't a thing anymore like it was in Brawl. I have no problem reading their easily predictable behavior patterns and just perfect shield it.
Care to share some of your perfect replays, oh perfect one? I'd really like to see how you fare with input lag.

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
I don't have any replays but I got an 80% win rate in 1vs1 if you wanna see. Input lag makes it harder but not that hard. I have a harder time punishing rolls than any Samus Link spam.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My advice is, quite simply, adapt and surpass them. It's not difficult to exploit such predictable strategies if you keep an eye out for what they're doing, and as soon as you figure out the chink in their armour, they'll crumble and fall apart.

The dangers of relying on a few simple tactics are that you'll eventually be thwarted and your opponent will inevitably learn to overcome you. Rather than getting upset about it, put that time and emotion into beating them at their own game. Or just drop out and play somebody else. If you're not having fun, you ought to try something else instead, and nobody will feel any differently about you because of that.

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
Fox is an amazing counter too, he absolutely dominates that "pressure weak spot" feeling that wrecks Link, Samus and Toon Link.

Hong

The Strongest
@ TheBurningBadger TheBurningBadger Don't make multiple threads to complain about "spammers" on For Glory. It is, ironically, considered spam.

Your thread on Ganondorf and Captain Falcon has been merged into this one.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Actually....I can just play Pit and Reflect them!?
Works for me~

Pit and Palutena have excellent reflects that can be useful for punishing and pressuring projectile-heavy characters. Pit's is trickier to use, since it takes a moment to start up and has severe endlag, but it can be held up for a decent amount of time, while Palutena's is much quicker and more efficient, but it only lasts a brief instant before vanishing.

Take care that you use other moves, too, but if you have a reflect available to you, it would be a bit silly not to use it.

Everything in moderation, including moderation~

TheBurningBadger

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChibiOfficial
3DS FC
4871-5711-3749
Even if your a moderator, don't you think getting People to spamming in online matches sorta
@ TheBurningBadger TheBurningBadger Don't make multiple threads to complain about "spammers" on For Glory. It is, ironically, considered spam.

Your thread on Ganondorf and Captain Falcon has been merged into this one.
Is making 2 posts really spam.....

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Input lag definitely makes spamming a more effective tactic than it otherwise would be. Without it, people would have a much easier time punishing their moves. It's also easier to perfect shield without it too.

TheBurningBadger

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChibiOfficial
3DS FC
4871-5711-3749
No.

But making two threads, where one is a clear umbrella for a specific topic covered by the other, is a definitive example of spam.
So making 2 threads about the same thing is spam even though 1 thread is about specific characters and 1 is about For Glory Mode....And I thought spam was doing the same thing over and over even though I clearly didn't do that

Top Bottom