• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's with all the spammers on online mode?

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
best*-palutena spammer :troll:

No, but seriously, while I do get pissed by spammers, I do eventually beat them because it becomes much more obvious on what they're gong to do that I can counter their spamming easily.
I faced a palutena spammer yesterday that would rotate between only three moves. But it was random, so it was annoying.
Spammers aren't necessarily hard to beat, they are just annoying as all get out.

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
I didn't say to shield after elfire. I said to shield when he dash attacks you. You use elfire when the stage is neutral. Which tends to happen after any of Robin's throws since he can't follow up on pretty much any of them. Just shield grab/b-throw and then set up. Mac's aerials are awful too, just get him into the air and use Robin's extremely good uair. As long as you dont screw up the spacing he literally has nothing that can beat that move.
The quote that u quoted from me was referring to him dash attacking me whenever i was using el fire. mac is too fast for me to grab and i am a terrible grabber and always get punished. Also, i have gotten macs in the air before, but it can't last forever because they can just simple dodge or counter.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
who can easily gimp Mac
Basically anyone?
The quote that u quoted from me was referring to him dash attacking me whenever i was using el fire. mac is too fast for me to grab and i am a terrible grabber and always get punished. Also, i have gotten macs in the air before, but it can't last forever because they can just simple dodge or counter.
Don't actively go for the grabs, all I'm saying is if you expect a dash attack, just shield it and grab out-of-shield. Also, Robins fair beats his dash attack. If they're spamming it, just read and stuff the attack with the fair. But really, there's not much I can tell you. Best way to beat spammed dash attacks with him is just to shield grab him. I do it all the time.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Dont think ive had that issue yet. Online anyway. Ive had friends in the past spam a single ability and i never had an issue countering it no matter who they were.
3DS actually punishes people that do that anyway. The more you use a move the weaker it gets. I noticed that when i was using Megaman and shorthopping fire sword spamming to rack up the damage. it started to do next to nothing after a few hits. Still trying to figure out how i can reliably rack up damage with him.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
love how members are telling him to do this and that when its easier said than done.

spammers are smart if they catch onto whatever rubbish 1 layer plan yall do they'll mix it up. Spammers are just annoying to play i think that's what the OP is saying, you can win but the match will always be boring cuz that person played annoying.

Cr0wbaR

Smash Apprentice
Now I just played some For Glory myself, and I must admit, I was met with some spam. It's not that I couldn't handle it, it's the fact that for some characters it is very effective. Even playing some 1v1 with my friends, it is just too easy to stand on one side of the stage, and have a strong, hard to punish, game. It doesn't help that everyone (except for Little Mac) has insane vertical recovery, making it hard to keep them off the stage anyways.

Here are my main culprits:

Bowser Jr: The Mecha Koopas, and cannonballs. The mechakoopas apply pressure, and yes you can grab them, but with just a little bit of lag it's hard to do, and Jr can get the easy punish if you get caught. The cannonballs have insane priority, which bothers me as a Diddy player in Brawl where bananas had similarly high priority. But the difference here, is that in Brawl, most projectiles had decent priority, and they all got nerfed coming to Sm4sh. So many projectiles trade with other projectiles, like they should be, but the cannonball trumps all. This wouldn't be hard to handle in most cases except for the fact that there's no platforms. This makes his ground projectiles way too safe for comfort, and it's just really hard to deal with.

Villager: The tree, and the Lloid Rocket. This isn't had bad offensively, but defensively, it's pretty strong. The tree blocks most, if not all projectiles (haven't done much testing, but I've never had an easy time getting through it) and if you just set it up and hide between it and the side of the stage, it's a very safe position. Because again, NO platforms! There's no simple way to get over the tree, jumping is super telegraphed, and you can't wait for him to come at you because he has Lloid rockets that he'll just keep spamming. Although they don't have the highest priority, and he has to come out in front of the tree to use them, you cannot break it until it starts flying, and the window to both break the rocket AND get to Villager before he's behind the tree is very small.

Close range characters (yes, most of them): Shielding and dodging (mainly rolling). I've faced too many people where as soon as we both get close to eachother, it's just lots of rolling. No one is even getting punished, it's just nothing. Sure we're trying to play safe, but it's sad because it works for the most part. I don't have any facts, and maybe it's partial lag, but I feel like the window between each roll is noticeably small. Neither of us want to attack because most attacks are very easy to punish. I don't remember this happening a lot in Brawl or Melee (definitely not Melee), but the games really feel like you just need to fish for easy punishes, because it's frankly very easy in this game. Playing aggressively is a tough thing to do, and with the lack of room for big combos, it's not as rewarding as playing safe.

The close range spamming (Little Mac, and others mentioned) is easily beaten by shielding, and dodging, or just good zoning, but the ranged spamming is a bit too strong for certain characters imo. I'm not even saying this as someone who's losing a lot. But frankly, with my friends explicitly saying, "I'm not happy with you right now," to each other is not cool. Leave this drama to Mario Party, not the "balanced" For Glory mode. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth, it's sad because it works so well. And what's worse is that it's easy to telegraph, I see all their moves coming, and it was just too bothersome that any approaches to get around the projectiles were easy to punish. I was playing Rosalina against a Fox, and now it was in my favor, I'd just throw out Luma, a good distance away, he'd jump, try to hit me, I shield, throw off stage. Easiest thing to do. Or if I had Luma in my possession it was too easy to catch him landing, or at certain ranges, he'd see me shoot it, so he'd just jump, and again, easy punish.

The game is still very young, so who knows how I'll feel with more play, but at the moment, I found that this camping and spamming strategy is a bit too strong on these flat stages. And it's dumb because the entire competitive scene knows that FD isn't a fair stage in many matchups, Nintendo just took the, "No items, Final Destination, Fox only," meme a bit too seriously.

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Now I just played some For Glory myself, and I must admit, I was met with some spam. It's not that I couldn't handle it, it's the fact that for some characters it is very effective. Even playing some 1v1 with my friends, it is just too easy to stand on one side of the stage, and have a strong, hard to punish, game. It doesn't help that everyone (except for Little Mac) has insane vertical recovery, making it hard to keep them off the stage anyways.

Bowser Jr: The Mecha Koopas, and cannonballs. The mechakoopas apply pressure, and yes you can grab them, but with just a little bit of lag it's hard to do, and Jr can get the easy punish if you get caught. The cannonballs have insane priority, which bothers me as a Diddy player in Brawl where bananas had similarly high priority. But the difference here, is that in Brawl, most projectiles had decent priority, and they all got nerfed coming to Sm4sh. So many projectiles trade with other projectiles, like they should be, but the cannonball trumps all. This wouldn't be hard to handle in most cases except for the fact that there's no platforms. This makes his ground projectiles way too safe for comfort, and it's just really hard to deal with.

Villager: The tree, and the Lloid Rocket. This isn't had bad offensively, but defensively, it's pretty strong. The tree blocks most, if not all projectiles (haven't done much testing, but I've never had an easy time getting through it) and if you just set it up and hide between it and the side of the stage, it's a very safe position. Because again, NO platforms! There's no simple way to get over the tree, jumping is super telegraphed, and you can't wait for him to come at you because hey has Lloid rockets he'll just keep spamming. Although they don't have the highest priority, and he has to come out in front of the tree to use them, you cannot break it until it starts flying, and the window to both break the rocket AND get to Villager before he's behind the tree is very small.

Close range characters (yes, most of them): Shielding and dodging (mainly rolling). I've faced too many people where as soon as we both get close to eachother, it's just lots of rolling. No one is even getting punished, it's just nothing. Sure we're trying to play safe, but it's sad because it works for the most part. I don't have any facts, and maybe it's partial lag, but I feel like the window between each roll is noticeably small. Neither of us want to attack because most attacks are very easy to punish. I don't remember this happening a lot in Brawl or Melee (definitely not Melee), but the games really feel like you just need to fish for easy punishes, because it's frankly very easy in this game. Playing aggressively is a tough thing to do, and with the lack of room for big combos, it's not as rewarding as playing safe.

The close range spamming (Little Mac, and others mentioned) is easily beaten by shielding, and dodging, or just good zoning, but a the ranged spamming is a bit too strong for certain characters imo. I'm not even saying this as someone who's losing a lot. But frankly, with my friends explicitly saying, "I'm not happy with you right now," to each other is not cool. Leave this drama to Mario Party, not the "balanced" For Glory mode. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth, it's sad because it works so well. And what's worse is that it's easy to telegraph, I see all their moves coming, and it was just too bothersome that any approaches to get around the projectiles were easy to punish. I was playing Rosalina against a Fox, and now it was in my favor, I'd just throw out Luma, a good distance away, he'd jump, try to hit me, I shield, throw off stage. Easiest thing to do. Or if I had Luma in my possession it was too easy to catch him landing, or at certain ranges, he'd see me shoot it, so he'd just jump, and again, easy punish.

The game is still very young, so who knows how I'll feel with more play, but at the moment, I found that this camping and spamming strategy is a bit too strong on these flat stages. And it's dumb because the entire competitive scene knows that FD isn't a fair stage in many matchups, Nintendo just took the, "No items, Final Destination, Fox only," meme a bit too seriously.
whoa! That is a post! But hey, the reason FD was chosen cause it was the most played online, according to Sakurai in the direct anyway.

Shog

Smash Ace
warionumbah got it right, I bet the OP isn't posting about the only spam B moves noobs but rather about how potent spamming combined with usual campy gameplay is.
I defeated a Villager just barely, which didn't use the Tree once against my Samus, simply because the Clay Rocket is really good to spam. if he used the Tree I would have been destroyed easily.

Last edited:

Jgod

Smash Cadet
Only spam that got to me was one robin player. Other then that. I'm really feeling it.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Why does everybody pick random when playing online? I'm literally the only one that stays playing one single character.
It's not that they pick random, it's that the question mark is shown to prevent YOU from knowing your OPPONENT'S character. This is done to prevent characters being chosen just to counter others.

Marth is great for spammers as his counter is fast and effective.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
It's not that they pick random, it's that the question mark is shown to prevent YOU from knowing your OPPONENT'S character. This is done to prevent characters being chosen just to counter others.

Any character with a counter = good for this really. Shulk, Marth, Mac etc. I beat a Bowser twice basically edge guarding with Mac's slip counter when he'd try to bully his way back up. He then choose to go up and over, either drops with the DownB and gets punished, or lands and gets punished. Works with all counter characters

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Any character with a counter = good for this really. Shulk, Marth, Mac etc. I beat a Bowser twice basically edge guarding with Mac's slip counter when he'd try to bully his way back up. He then choose to go up and over, either drops with the DownB and gets punished, or lands and gets punished. Works with all counter characters
Which is why I love that Marth, and I guess Lucina as well, can juggle like there's no tomorrow, so if they try to go vulnerable from up top, BACK TO THE PIT YA GO.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Spamming is nothing new when playing competitive fighters online and you should expect to see it,and when you see it,you punish it. This also sounds like a problem with lack of match up knowledge.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796

Hardly. Marth's counter, and all counters, are terrible to spam. Anyone even semi-competent at the game can just hit you with a smash when they try it.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Hardly. Marth's counter, and all counters, are terrible to spam. Anyone even semi-competent at the game can just hit you with a smash when they try it.
I meant to deal with spammers XP haha
Spamming counters is like the worst technique ever.

Dean Lawrence

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiseUpAndFight
3DS FC
1246-8874-5343
In my very first online match, I was against a Lucario as Marth and all he did was spam the energy ball move and roll around. He ended up drawing it out the full 5 minutes and killed me in Sudden Death because I couldn't approach him when he used the stupid energy ball that even was it wasn't charged at all was able to KO me.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
See, what you have to do there is start short hopping like a monkey and slashing at all sides he's even remotely close to. A few good ones will get 'im.

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
Spamming is not a legitimate strategy, it doesn't work. If spamming is stopping you from winning, then you need practice.

Morbi

Scavenger
It depends on the character that I am playing, if I am playing as Ganondorf for instance, I do not really spam any particular move and I do not have to deal with a lot of projectiles that I cannot avoid either. However, when I switch to the good doctor, you can expect me to sit across the stage and prescribe you some chill. It is a great tool to force an approach.

If you are getting "spammed" it is because you are not close enough to your opponent to punish. How can you fix this? Approach. It is difficult nigh impossible to stall a zoner, I do not deem it wise to even attempt such a feat. Just approach cautiously, the zoner wants you to be overly aggressive and mindless.

Radicool21

Smash Rookie
I'm having some difficulty against people who spam Lucario's Down+B, since that appears right behind you even for mid-range attacks. Is it even possible to shield/dodge that move at all? Cuz it's a ridiculous counter move, especially when I'm trying to kill the guy and he's at high percentage.
EDIT: Forgot, I'm a Robin main

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Read it. Don't attack. Wait for him to get out of it but still be stuck in the animation, and- boom

You can even charge up a nice lil' forward smash.

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24

Villager: The tree, and the Lloid Rocket. This isn't had bad offensively, but defensively, it's pretty strong. The tree blocks most, if not all projectiles (haven't done much testing, but I've never had an easy time getting through it) and if you just set it up and hide between it and the side of the stage, it's a very safe position. Because again, NO platforms! There's no simple way to get over the tree, jumping is super telegraphed, and you can't wait for him to come at you because he has Lloid rockets that he'll just keep spamming. Although they don't have the highest priority, and he has to come out in front of the tree to use them, you cannot break it until it starts flying, and the window to both break the rocket AND get to Villager before he's behind the tree is very small.

The close range spamming (Little Mac, and others mentioned) is easily beaten by shielding, and dodging, or just good zoning, but the ranged spamming is a bit too strong for certain characters imo. I'm not even saying this as someone who's losing a lot. But frankly, with my friends explicitly saying, "I'm not happy with you right now," to each other is not cool. Leave this drama to Mario Party, not the "balanced" For Glory mode. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth, it's sad because it works so well. And what's worse is that it's easy to telegraph, I see all their moves coming, and it was just too bothersome that any approaches to get around the projectiles were easy to punish. I was playing Rosalina against a Fox, and now it was in my favor, I'd just throw out Luma, a good distance away, he'd jump, try to hit me, I shield, throw off stage. Easiest thing to do. Or if I had Luma in my possession it was too easy to catch him landing, or at certain ranges, he'd see me shoot it, so he'd just jump, and again, easy punish.

I have to say that Jr's cannonballs aren't that powerful, at least in my experience. I played against him as ROB, and my strategy was to hit him with my laser (faster than the cannon with charge) or using the side B to reflect the shot back at him. As long as I kept some distance between the two of us, he had to charge up to use the cannon, which gave me an advantage to use my projectiles or close the distance and attack

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It can work for a while until you figure out how to counter it. Which, since they're using it frequently, can be very easy. it might depend on the person, however.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Well i can't punish them when i can't approach them with their spamming. i'm playing robin and he can't approach very well and my spells are cancelled by their spamming crud and also i have to charge my thunder
Robin is one of the best campers in the game. Any part of his side B knicking someone holds them there and sets them up for further hits and his melee can even kill reliably. Robin doesn't NEED to approach.

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
I haven't found a spammer, but I did find I guy who knew how t use pits sideb **** pits sideb. Took me forever to figure out that move and I never beat that guy.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Wait someone actually faced a bowser jr? i havent even seen him yet since i unlocked him lol.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Wait someone actually faced a bowser jr? i havent even seen him yet since i unlocked him lol.
I played against one who only did the up B and hammer aerial over and over. It was so ********. The move where he turns his little pot into a car goes too fast to counter; kind of annoying. Plus his hammer after the recovery is too powerful.

Last edited:

TL?

Smash Ace
In smash the last thing you want to be is predictable. If someone is spamming(doing the same thing over and over), they are about as predictable as they can be. Every option has an answer to it. If you're losing to a predictable opponent then it means that you don't know how to play. You'd be better off learning the basics instead of whining about people not letting you win.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If someone is spamming a move I've never seen before (as it is a new game, and I have far from tried out every move) I let them knock me around a bit until I know how it works, and then after that its just a simple matter of dodging and hitting them until they die.

dd_ray

Smash Rookie
NNID
dray
3DS FC
0404-5755-0943
Spammers shouldn't give any player worth his salt a lick of trouble after the first 30 seconds...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Maybe up to a match depending on the character though, as they need to find a suitable counter for it.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'd complain too if I lost to spammers.

Seriously what a waste of a thread.

D

Deleted member 269706

IDK if any of you have run into a Jiggly Spammer, but it's literally the worst thing ever.

Top Bottom