• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. How goes it? I've known about this website for quite a while now. I found that most of my questions regarding SSB could easily be answered by simply reading around the forums, so I never thought it was necessary to make an account. I know all about things like Z-Canceling, DI, short hopping, etc. and I consider myself to be pretty decent at this game -- far better than the average person. It's important to note, however, that I have recently come to the (somewhat devastating) conclusion that I am still very inferior to most of you. I recently watched the Apex 2014 videos and was extremely surprised to see the level of skill you guys were playing at.

So that's why I'm here. I have an incredible desire to succeed in this game and realize now that communicating with all of you is probably the best way to do it. I have a group of friends that I play with and we're all extremely determined to get good. I'm the best of my friends and figured that it was finally time to take my abilities to the next level.

I probably use Fox, DK, and Link the most, although my best character is probably Captain Falcon or Kirby. I don't really main anyone because I enjoy using every character.

I'm 21 years old and live in Kansas City.

Having said all that, you guys might see me around here and there, so it's nice to meet you. :)

M!nt

Smash Champion
hi c:

You could start playing online, it'll make you a lot better really quickly.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hi, welcome to the boards :)

I don't know if you already know the important threads, but I'll link them to you here anyway.

I suggest you check the map in this thread to see if there's anyone near you that you could meet and play. Other than that, your best bet if you want to improve quickly is to play online, as suggested by M!nt. All the needed info concerning the emulator and stuff should be found in the index. If you have problems setting it up, feel free to ask in the Ask a question thread (for any other questions as well). If you want more specific tips (suited to your level), feel free to create a thread in the Video section and post some videos of you playing, preferably against a good human player.

Good luck!

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Hey guys. How goes it? I've known about this website for quite a while now. I found that most of my questions regarding SSB could easily be answered by simply reading around the forums, so I never thought it was necessary to make an account. I know all about things like Z-Canceling, DI, short hopping, etc. and I consider myself to be pretty decent at this game -- far better than the average person. It's important to note, however, that I have recently come to the (somewhat devastating) conclusion that I am still very inferior to most of you. I recently watched the Apex 2014 videos and was extremely surprised to see the level of skill you guys were playing at.

So that's why I'm here. I have an incredible desire to succeed in this game and realize now that communicating with all of you is probably the best way to do it. I have a group of friends that I play with and we're all extremely determined to get good. I'm the best of my friends and figured that it was finally time to take my abilities to the next level.

I probably use Fox, DK, and Link the most, although my best character is probably Captain Falcon or Kirby. I don't really main anyone because I enjoy using every character.

I'm 21 years old and live in Kansas City.

Having said all that, you guys might see me around here and there, so it's nice to meet you. :)
cool intro. Playing online helps as well as watching videos and trying to perform what you see other top players doing. Having other friends to play with also helps so u got that going for you! I have no doubt that if you keep that determination to become great at this game then you will succeed :)

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

You guys keep telling me to play online... Is it really that essential? I've played online a handful of times on several different occasions and have disliked it thoroughly each and every time. I can't help but feel like I'm ice skating across the stage. It also feels like the timing is slightly off as well. I don't know, maybe I was lagging or something. Whatever.

Are there any good players that don't play online? Because if that's a viable option I definitely prefer it over the alternative.

And thanks for the links Sangoku. I've known about those threads/sections for a while but haven't really been on them recently. I'll look into them.

In regard to me uploading a video: I don't have any sort of recording software or anything. If I do decide to upload a video, it'll have to be recorded on my phone or laptop lol.

Shears

Smash Master
I don't think anyone would call me really good but I don't play online and I really only play people in real life when I travel to tournaments. Don't listen to anyone with their fancy internet talk, level 9 CPUs once a week is all you need...that, and a couple white russians.

jk. You should probably get online, and so should I.

Sedda

Smash Champion
You should play online. At least p2p people near you. You will only gain bad habits by playing cpu's. There are people like Kero who don't really play online and are really good, but they have other people to play against.
As long as you can play others and you can experiment with various matchups, you should be good offline. There's no reason not to play online though. You will get a lot better a lot quicker.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

You guys keep telling me to play online... Is it really that essential? I've played online a handful of times on several different occasions and have disliked it thoroughly each and every time. I can't help but feel like I'm ice skating across the stage. It also feels like the timing is slightly off as well. I don't know, maybe I was lagging or something. Whatever.

Are there any good players that don't play online? Because if that's a viable option I definitely prefer it over the alternative.

And thanks for the links Sangoku. I've known about those threads/sections for a while but haven't really been on them recently. I'll look into them.

In regard to me uploading a video: I don't have any sort of recording software or anything. If I do decide to upload a video, it'll have to be recorded on my phone or laptop lol.
pretty much to get good quickly you have to play high level competition. some high level players (like kero) have high level competition to play all the time so those people don't need to play online. But for most of us online is the best way to improve quickly. Also not sure what u mean by "iceskating across the sage"

M!nt

Smash Champion
No you don't have to play online, it's just unless you go to a lot of major tournaments or play a lot of different people you aren't going to get much playstyle or matchup experience. It probably was lag, you get used to it, honestly tho I think most console players are just scared about the really good people that can just join their game and pwn them, so they have to say there's something wrong like lag,delay,controls etc just my opinion tho.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Sup. I'm that god "Kero" that people have mentioned. Most people call me Kero the Great. I'm the sole leader of this community and the guardian of Smashboards. Welcome my child. I will protect you.

Online play is for weak losers that are too n00bish to get good on console. Don't listen to these nerds, it's perfectly possible to get good strictly playing 64. There's only one way to train: do what feels right. If you hate playing online, then **** it, play console.

Having said that, i don't know how dedicated your friends are. You seem like you have a solid attitude, if your friends are anything like you then you should be good to go. If your friends are a bunch of flaky punk n00b ******* that quit the game after you completely surpass them, then you should consider your other options.

Getting good by solely playing level 9's is possible, but i can assure you that it will be one hell of a struggle. Keep playing humans. If you really hate online, then use it as a last resort.

You have my blessing. Good luck young grasshopper.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i feel like kero must be hella bullied irl if he feels the need to maintain this online persona

apologies in advance for the terrible smash index formatting, im just lazy :happysheep:

Sedda

Smash Champion
Don't listen to Kero. I was using him as an example, but he didn't even get top 8 at apex (noob).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you suck

gg scrub

we should rally under the banner of sangoku and overturn the tyrannical and utterly unfunny personage that is god-complex kero

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Lol you guys are something else.

I think my friends and I have a pretty good thing going for us, I'm gonna try my luck without online for now. However, if I feel that I've reached a wall, I won't let my negative feelings towards online hold me back from improving.

I'm stubborn but not foolish.

On a separate note, I'm still interested in playing with you all. Is there any big non-apex tournaments that I should be aware of?

Any in the Midwest? :b:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i'll put it this way - if you DON'T play online, you won't have the chance to play a lot of people who are online only.

kero's honestly a freak when it comes to online, he always says he wants to play x and y players but won't play on kaillera, though he has an excuse - his net is christawful. i think it would be greatly beneficial for him if he invested in an ethernet cable and played the people he wants to, because he might never get the opportunity otherwise.

basically, there are people who just don't go to tourneys because of controller issues or transport problems or just a general lack of desire to go anywhere but their own room to play smash. there are all sorts of exclusives online that i could name but you get the picture.

without kaillera i wouldn't have met some people and gone to tourneys with them; ie breakthrough, who i talked to like a month before TFP2 and then went and stayed at his place and we went to the tourney the next day.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
It takes getting used to but think of it this way. If you play online, and get used to the input delay, you'll only thank yourself later. By limiting yourself to playing with your friends, most often times with players in your situation you're limiting your potential and will hit the skill ceiling the gameplay you're capable of with that group of friends will allow you. If you play online, and play against really good players (while avoiding macro input/di-ing/trolling assholes) you'll carry your experience and talent back to your friends and they'll get better because you got better.

Dont get me wrong online 64 is fake smash, that much is undeniable to anyone with a brain, but the mental game you learn will really improve you because your flaws will be made clear in no time at all.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I'd say online smash has recently become a necessity to getting good. Unless you're Kero and have people like Stranded, Ceasar (spelling?), and the like to play with in real life, most online players are going to be 5x better than your friends. I started off playing online to learn matchups, different play styles, practice tech, and learn new things in general. Without online I don't think I would have progressed as much as I have so far. That said, I HIGHLY prefer playing console whenever possible because the lag is so MEH to me. But my little brother hates playing against me in 1v1's now, only ever wants items to be on anymore. Therefore, I am forced to play online a lot. I know exactly what you meant when you said "ice skating" I don't feel full power online at all. But it's to learn things and become a better player, not to have perfect smash.

Trust me, play online and you'll get better SO much quicker than you will playing your (most likely scrubbish, no offense intended) friends.

Thanks to Cobr and Weedwack coming out to my crib and taking me to my first tournament, big time. I'm glad I tied for last place in that tournament. That really showed me just how competitive the game is and how serious you have to take your tournament matches. Play Falcon :) Need some more falcon dittos. If you decide to play online hit me up, I definitely want to test your skill because I'm still one of the new guys in the community, so I hopefully shouldn't wreck you like better players would.

Online got me started and attending tournaments got me the real experiences I needed to begin my journey towards becoming a better player. Unfortunately, unless you're willing to drive to New Jersey you're probably not going to find many tournaments in the area. Hope to see you online some time, send me a message if you need help with anything.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Whatever you do make sure you get some games in vs good yoshi's or you'll end up like kefit and banze

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Yo man **** these communists! Maliki's right! Stick to your friends. Have faith in your crew!!

My crew, the Koroshiyo, is the best crew in North America. And guess what? NONE of our players play online. There jabronies are just afraid that another god like console crew will emerge and show them all up.

Follow your heart. Do what feels right. Don't give in to all this bull****. This is America! Follow your dreams!

REAL SMASH ALL DAY **** THE REST!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lol you guys are something else.

I think my friends and I have a pretty good thing going for us, I'm gonna try my luck without online for now. However, if I feel that I've reached a wall, I won't let my negative feelings towards online hold me back from improving.

I'm stubborn but not foolish.

On a separate note, I'm still interested in playing with you all. Is there any big non-apex tournaments that I should be aware of?

Any in the Midwest? :b:
Kansas city has I believe Rpotts and one other guy; you should look into playing with them because they're very good (possibly retired? But maybe still up for console games)

As far as the rest of the midwest goes, Chicago/champaign have tournaments but they're not big deals like apex, more local/regional things. Maybe 8 competitive players and (optimistically) around 20 noobs. Also chicago-kansas city is far enough that it's not even the same region any more so shrug.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
I'll tell you guys what, the next time I'm at my friends house (he's the one that has pj64), I'll give online play another shot.

I've gotta be honest though, you guys shouldn't get your hopes up. Chances are that I hate it as usual. I know that I should be patient and give myself time to get used to it, and i hate to side with this guy Kero, but I kind of like the idea of getting better with my friends right now.

You guys seem awesome and I'm sorry to kind of shut you down like this, but I'm not so into the idea of online at the moment.

I'm fairly indecisive though. Who knows, maybe next year i'll be one of the most active online players. :p

Battlecow, I'll look into. Thanks.

VVilde

Smash Cadet
Consider this: everyone in the top 8 at apex plays online to an extent

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I came off too strong in my first post… my goal for this game isn't to be like the best or anything. If I went to a tournament and placed last it wouldn't really faze me.

My goal is to be the best I can be while having fun at the same time.

That's why I'm so reluctant to play online. I don't enjoy it. I'm not trying to be like a pro-competitor or anything lol. I just want to play well and have fun.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i don't enjoy it either because of the lag and frame delay and ****ING ALTS GRARGH and desynchs and overall clunkiness of fake smash

but with improvement comes enjoyment; that is, the better you get, the more fun you have, because you'll recognize more opportunities in diverse situations, become more creative in your gameplay, utilize techskill to a greater effect, etc etc.

and it's my belief that playing online can and does facilitate that improvement. so i think it's a small sacrifice.

Battlecow

Play to Win
yo if the guy doesn't wanna do it right now he doesn't have to lol

I think he gets the point, online helps you improve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom