• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best way to practice by yourself?

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
CPUs are entirely different creatures than humans are. They attack differently, never cosider ceartain matters before running in, but never let out. Humans are extremely different; they come up with creative ways to squeeze value out of their moves, (like JC, CC, WD, and LC) CPUs don't do that.

shinrin

Smash Cadet
eventualy level nines get too easy!...keep playing through clasic on very hard and you will soon be able to do it without dying...then move on to adventure then after you have mastered that move to all-star and after beating it on very-hard on a regular basis you can do it without using the hearts.

thats the way i train.

BigPimpin504

Smash Cadet
shinrin said:
eventualy level nines get too easy!...keep playing through clasic on very hard and you will soon be able to do it without dying...then move on to adventure then after you have mastered that move to all-star and after beating it on very-hard on a regular basis you can do it without using the hearts.

thats the way i train.

I guess that's alright, but I have found that if I practice too much on a computer, I will eventually start playing like a computer, and will suck bad in a Human Vs Human match until I play at least 3 or 4 in a row.

shinrin

Smash Cadet
oh yeah!...it happened to me as well...i have a friend that practices alot so i get to play him weekly....so i have a little bit of an advantage.

dbos

Smash Rookie
i play with myself all the time but it hasnt made me much better at szmash.

Best101

Smash Ace
shinrin said:

thats the way i train.
If you can beat All-Star mode on very hard without using a heart you have to send me a video of that.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
Once I did it using only Mewtwo's Up+B!

Actually, I would like to see this video. Who do you play with? Please record you doing this.

I don't mean beating it with Mewtwo's Up+B.

BAD31

Smash Rookie
three luigi's on a team can get really annoying if your on a stage that they can't really kill themselves on.

Albeydorf

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know how to super wave dash with Samus?
I read how to do it but i think i need specific instructions
on how to go on about doing it.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Albeydorf said:
Does anyone know how to super wave dash with Samus?
I read how to do it but i think i need specific instructions
on how to go on about doing it.
I believe that there is a sticky in the Character specific forums about Samus' Superwavedash.

milesprwr

Smash Rookie
i usually play against a lvl 3-4 computer, usually if they're any lower they won't even attempt to use their 3rd jump half the time

emubreath

Smash Journeyman
I think the best way to practice, is play against level 9s. But, for combos, I think it's better to play aginst level 1s or stuff..still the best way is against humans, because they DI and stuff like that

ibeplu

Smash Rookie
Level 9's hurt your style, usually you end up using techniques like smashing repeatedly, or like waiting for a particular combo you KNOW they are going to do (like you know exactly when link is going to try and hook shot you)

level 1s or 2 controllers...

Skylink

Smash Lord
emubreath said:
I think the best way to practice, is play against level 9s. But, for combos, I think it's better to play aginst level 1s or stuff..still the best way is against humans, because they DI and stuff like that
Yeah, it's so annoying when I Usmash a CPU and they don't bother to DI away, they just fall right into my laps for another attack and get me to almost expect Humans to do the same:mad:

Izlude The Great

Smash Cadet
I have finally found a good way to practice by yourself. Its still not as good as practicing with other people but its probably closest you can get. I find that by practising against a lvl 6 computer & a lvl 4 computer teamed against you is a good way to practice. this may sound odd but hear me out. Fighting against one computer is pointless because they are always dumb and do the same thing. I found this out when I was practcing my fox. It is usally really east to shine spike a computer bercause they always return the same way. But with a lvl 6 and a lvl 4 it takes away the advantage you have becaue the other one can interrupt your edgeguard which kind of simulizes how a human player would be more difficult to edge guard. this works in most ways like, its a lot harder to chain throw because the other one interrupts you which is kind of like human DI, and combos are harder to keep becauser of the other computer, which resembles human inconsistency and DI/Teching/ combo breaking.

These are ust my thoughts but I find it much more usefull because it also teaches you to play faster and think ahead instead of always knowing what a computer player will do.

sorry about the wall o' text but feedback please with comments/criticizm.

Izlude The Great

Smash Cadet
that wasnt the point of my post because computers are so dumb any1 can beat 3 lvl 9 computers, the point was that it gives u a way to practise by yourself without completely slaughtering all you skill

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
I train survival by fighting against:
Level 9 Bowser
Level 9 DK
Level 9 Ganondorf

(the powerful oafs)

I train accuracy attacking by fighting against
Level 9 Pichu
Level 9 Pikachu
Level 9 Kirby

(the tiny targets)

For anything else I wait untill my brother is there, to train with him.

Dunno if those are the best ways though.

ledjin

Smash Apprentice
I guess fighting 3 lvl 9 teamed up is not very easy to deal with, especially if they're Ganon, Fox, Pikachu. Even worse if you get them have handicap 8 and you handicap 4. It's good training if you're playing other 3 friends, but they're right when they say fighting computers isn't the same [by far] than playing humans. I think Azukki has a good point... I don't have a brother here where I live so I'm stuck with computers ¬¬ and I play 1 lvl 9 with handicaps and I wait for a friend to come and play decently. Computer's are definetly just to kill some time, to try to practice timing and stuff, but there's no comparing to a human player.

SuperRoyario1

Smash Cadet
Just sharpen your skills. Fight a good Level CPU. And do what ever you have to. But try to NOT have items on. But having someone to help you train does help.

SuperRoyario1

Smash Cadet
i AGREE wuth you. But iam sure you mgiht learn a bit more fighting a Level 6 or 5 more then you would learn from fighting a LEVEL 1.

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
barrybackus said:
Training and learning combos? Low level cpu ememies? High level cpu enemies? 1 on 1 or everyone for themselves?

How do you think is the best way to train to get better? Right now I feel like I'm in a niche. I'm not feeling like I'm improving in any way. What should I do?
I think you should train against CPU lvl.3
They use directional influence , and don't use that sucky Tap-a all the time...

Zack353

Smash Ace
I like training mode to practice various combos, I just kind of improvise when it comes to DI, I can read it pretty well.

NEMESIS-

Smash Rookie
if you want to learn combo's then i suggest doing training mode..but what sucks is you cant use c-stick on training mode so it kind of alters your gameplay..other than that fighting level 9's is the next best thing to fighting a real player

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Here, let me break it down:

Practice with computers only use to is to practice technical skill. The reason why LVL 1's are more preferable than LVL 9's because LVL 9's have the inane ability to powershield almost all your attacks, grab you when you thought it was impossible, etc. Despite the level of the computers, none of them use mind games. If you stand still, the computer player will simply walk in your direction, which is another reason why using computers as practice against human players is bad. It teaches bad habits.

With that, practicing by yourself omits the ability to develop mind games which is a very essential part of progressing. However, you're still able to practice technical skills such as wavedashing, SHFFL'ing, SH-laser with Falco, etc. When you're practicing by yourself, you're going to find yourself doing the same, mindless, repetitive tech skills over and over again until you've processed the motions into muscle memory. Controlling your character at its highest potential with as little effort possible is your goal when practicing by yourself. Playing your character at its highest potential requires an opponent with a mind.

Therefore the best way to practice by yourself is to simply go into a mode where you can master CONTROLLING your character. Using LVL 1's are helpful because they don't hinder your training with gay powershielding of your lasers or well timed grabs/attacks. It's more important to focus on your own character than your opponent when practicing by yourself.

Skylink

Smash Lord
That's true, but as you learn controlling your charachter, you either get bored in two seconds when you fight lvl 1s or you learn bad habits quickly when fighting lvl 9s. A few of us can NEVER play ANYONE with a mind except at tournies, wich are only once a month or so.

Top Bottom